PDA

View Full Version : Might go Egyptian, bald head + wig. Thoughts?

maxa
December 2nd, 2016, 03:47 AM
If I did this the pros would be :

Instant long hair
Multiple hair styles
No morning "missions" to wash my hair

The cons would be:

?

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 03:56 AM
The cons would be no updos. You can't pull a wig into an updo, no matter how hard you try.

It gets sweaty, especially in summer.

Do you really have to wash in the mornings? And every day? Maybe try and let us "examine" your routine first before you resort to such drastic measures. Talk about drastic! Edit: further explaining myself... Not that I'm dissing this "method", because a few religions have this in their routine, but I don't think the OP is doing it for religious reasons, it sounds rather desperate to me.

LadyCelestina
December 2nd, 2016, 04:17 AM
idk but there are so many times in my life where a wig would simply fall from my head (sports, concerts...) and I don't see myself giving it all up for hair.

maxa
December 2nd, 2016, 04:43 AM
The cons would be no updos. You can't pull a wig into an updo, no matter how hard you try.

It gets sweaty, especially in summer.

Do you really have to wash in the mornings? And every day? Maybe try and let us "examine" your routine first before you resort to such drastic measures. Talk about drastic! Edit: further explaining myself... Not that I'm dissing this "method", because a few religions have this in their routine, but I don't think the OP is doing it for religious reasons, it sounds rather desperate to me.

I saw some ancient Egyptian wigs and thought it was really cool and practical. But yea it is pretty drastic. Won't be doing it.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 05:04 AM
I saw some ancient Egyptian wigs and thought it was really cool and practical. But yea it is pretty drastic. Won't be doing it.

Could you tell us something about your routine? We can help, surely! :D

maxa
December 2nd, 2016, 05:19 AM
Could you tell us something about your routine? We can help, surely! :D
Well, I rinse my hair for 2 minutes, then I take some anti-itching shampoo and massage in it and leave it for 4 minutes, then I rinse it all out, then I dry it with a towel. It makes my hair flat and wavy but it stops the itching for a day.

It was SD btw, eczema. I forgot to ask whether or not that is related to a fungus, but I don't think it is.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 05:50 AM
Well, I rinse my hair for 2 minutes, then I take some anti-itching shampoo and massage in it and leave it for 4 minutes, then I rinse it all out, then I dry it with a towel. It makes my hair flat and wavy but it stops the itching for a day.

It was SD btw, eczema. I forgot to ask whether or not that is related to a fungus, but I don't think it is.

SD & eczema are two totally different things. Now I'm confused. SD is related to fungal overgrowth, it is that in fact. Eczema is not the same. Have you been to a doctor? :confused:

And besides, a wig on top of either of those issues? Big NO!

spidermom
December 2nd, 2016, 07:11 AM
wigs get itchy, too; you'd hate it!

maxa
December 2nd, 2016, 07:51 AM
SD & eczema are two totally different things. Now I'm confused. SD is related to fungal overgrowth, it is that in fact. Eczema is not the same. Have you been to a doctor? :confused:

And besides, a wig on top of either of those issues? Big NO!

The doctor said they were one and the same.

webmd says the cause is not known. http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/seborrheic-dermatitis-medref#1

Are you sure SD is related to fungal overgrowth?

Entangled
December 2nd, 2016, 08:08 AM
The doctor said they were one and the same.

webmd says the cause is not known. http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/seborrheic-dermatitis-medref#1

Are you sure SD is related to fungal overgrowth?
Yes, it likely is (that's the yeast mentioned) but what causes it to flare up is less known, and genetics and unknown factors are involved, It can be successfully treated with anti-fungals.
Yes, they are different, especially because eczema is most often associated with very dry skin and scalp, whereas SD is commonly associated with oily hair. The thing is, what most people call eczema is actually atopic dermatitis, and is a kind of eczema, just as SD is a kind of eczema. However, what I'd use to treat SD would be horrible for someone with "eczema" aka atopic dermatitis: a strong shampoo used often would be horribly irritating for someone with atopic dermatitis, but works well for SD.
ETA
https://nationaleczema.org/eczema/types-of-eczema/seborrheic-dermatitis/

Here's a really good article comparing and contrasting "eczema" and SD, both in symptoms and treatment:
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/allergy-and-asthma/articles/2009/05/19/got-a-skin-rash-how-to-tell-eczema-from-seborrheic-dermatitis

Arctic
December 2nd, 2016, 08:12 AM
Eczema is another name for dermatitis, it's a general term. So SD is one type of eczema/dermatitis, there are other types too.

And yes, micro-organisms like fungi/yeast living on skin is considered to be a factor with SD according to the current understanding.

Another difference between the two conditions lies in the microorganisms that live on everyone’s skin. Considered to be from the yeast family, these an overgrowth of these fungi are known to contribute to seborrheic dermatitis.

Source: https://nationaleczema.org/eczema/types-of-eczema/seborrheic-dermatitis/

HairPlease
December 2nd, 2016, 08:13 AM
Wigs are sweaty, itchy, and warm. Warm+wet=fungus and stuff (not a scientist). It's just not the best situation. I've worn wigs a few times with super short hair--it was fun, but I missed the air flow.

maxa
December 2nd, 2016, 09:06 AM
Well the doctor gave me Ketozol-Mepha. Now I'm a bit scared it's going to make things worse.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 09:10 AM
Well the doctor gave me Ketozol-Mepha. Now I'm a bit scared it's going to make things worse.

Trust the doctor. He or she knows what he or she is doing! Give it a go, and see what it does. It can't get worse unless the diagnosis is wrong. In which case you go back to your doctor to discuss it, and get something else for (hopefully) relief. Don't be scared! ;) :D

LadyCelestina
December 2nd, 2016, 09:10 AM
Patch test if you are really worried.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 09:56 AM
Patch test if you are really worried.

Kind of hard to do on your scalp, LC. I would just do what the doctor ordered. But that's me.

Kaya
December 2nd, 2016, 10:38 AM
To be perfectly honest, and in light of past posts/threads, I'd focus solely on getting your scalp healthy. Then you can start thinking about ways of achieving your long hair aspirations.

(You could do a general patch test on your arm just to see if there is any reaction to the medication before using it on the scalp.)

In terms of the wig idea, I would think that a wig would be terribly itchy and sweaty against a bald scalp, not to mention how it would feel against stubble regrowth. You'd have to either keep a bald head, or accept the regrowth and embrace the look. I doubt constant wear of a wig over new hair would do it any favors.

Mind, these are just my opinions. I have no experience with SD/eczema, so I can't offer any proper advice on that. But from your hair history here, I'd forget the wig idea, and any other random ideas that might come to mind, and concentrate of healing/helping your scalp first and foremost.

The key to long hair is patience and proper care!

Arctic
December 2nd, 2016, 10:43 AM

I don't know the ingredients of that, or what type of product it is, but it sounds like a basic ketoconazole product, shampoo maybe? That's a very effective medication against the symptoms of SD.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 11:49 AM
Mind, these are just my opinions. I have no experience with SD/eczema, so I can't offer any proper advice on that. But from your hair history here, I'd forget the wig idea, and any other random ideas that might come to mind, and concentrate of healing/helping your scalp first and foremost.

The key to long hair is patience and proper care!

I think with a "diseased" scalp, this wig wearing will probably be 10x worse. But the OP has already voted against it. ;)

Anje
December 2nd, 2016, 11:58 AM
Like the others, this seems like it'd be pretty itchy even for a person with a happy scalp. I expect the people who do it regularly have caps they wear between the scalp and the wig to minimize how scratchy it is, but it's going to get warm all the same.

Start with using the shampoo from the doctor, according to their instructions. It's likely it'll make a big difference for you. Don't do anything drastic like cutting your hair just yet -- the shampoo might just solve all your problems.

Llama
December 2nd, 2016, 01:57 PM
If you honestly can't think of any cons to having a bald head then do it if you want...If the wigs get uncomfortable you can just take them off.

Shorty89
December 4th, 2016, 08:08 PM
As far as treatment, I'd say do what your doctor says, and try that shampoo. You should notice fairly quickly if it's not working - at least I did. I tried some strong shampoo when I began to get a scalp issue (at the time it wasn't clear to the Dr which it was). It made my scalp weepy after one wash! I was also given some anti-fungal cream which helped a bit. What helped the most was some specialized eczema cream taht I'd been given for my skin. For what it's worth I now use coconut oil when it's flaky (followed by light scritching) and then ACV occasionally to control the itchiness.

Mrstran
December 5th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Cons, They can be rather expensive if you get human hair, You'll keep having to replace wigs, they are harder to wash (in my opinion), They are harder to detangle and comb without loosing multiple strands, styling them can be difficult because you can see the wig cap wherever you part your hair, the hair is typically sewn onto the cap in a downward angle, so up do's and half pull backs are out without it looking funky, not to mention the odd hair/ cap line framing your face.

Some wigs are different I guess but this is what I have found when I was looking into wigs. I'm not sure yet if I will have to shave my head for a surgery (this coming year or the year after) or shave just a small patch. Just in case, I did look into wigs. If you are absolutely bent on getting a wig, may I suggest a lace front at least. They hide the cap pretty well in the front.

almost alice
December 5th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Actually, you CAN put a wig in an updo, but you either have to buy a wig already in a pony or add fiber to it to hide the base wig material. There are instructions on the internet and its not particularly hard, just time consuming. And these wigs basically have to stay in an updo or else they look funny.

Seija
December 6th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Why do you need to shave your head to wear wigs? I'm in the process of growing and I wear wigs all the time :D Helps me through my weird, mid-neck length stages. As others have mentioned I wouldn't leave it on for a super extended amount of time if you have scalp issues, because it can get pretty gnarly under there, especially on hot days. Luckily I live in Canada.