PDA

View Full Version : Sally's Beauty Supply

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 1st, 2016, 06:53 PM
Im not sure if this is the proper place to vent about this but Sallys beauty has officially ticked me off!
I only really ever walk into sallys because they sell the GVP products, the matrix conditioner being the one thing my hair has liked in a long time.
I actually like it more than the actual matrix balm, which costs 3x as much.

I get a coupon in the mail from sallys, saying "Get 15% off your full purchase OR 20% off your full purchase when you join the beauty club card!"

I had a beauty club card but never renewed it because I lost the card, made another account in my name so i could get another card, and lost that card, I was a teenager, it happens. But every time, they will not send me another, they wont send you a new card if you lose it, so I never saw the point in renewing the membership, they wont do anything if you dont have the card -- no discounts nothing. But after almost 2 years they STILL send me coupons, giving me percentages off or trying to coax me to renew, which I do not want to do -- and actually cant do.

I thought "Ok -- ill use this on those conditioners I like!" And the way the coupon phrased it, made it sound like you had a choice. Like you could get 15% off or renew and get 20% off." So i go, grab what i need and I get to the clerk and she tells me the coupon expired. (Not true.)
She then goes into the back, comes back, makes a call for 5 seconds then tells me the coupon is only valid with sallys beauty card.
How in the world does that make any sense? Why offer 15% off at all?

The phrasing was trickery, trickery to get me to renew, which I did not do and never want to do.
So I said no thank you, and walked out.

It seriously bothers me though, they only started sending me coupons after my membership expired.
The second I renewed the first time, I never saw coupons again. Then my membership expires again and I get them again.
Its all a trick, you dont save any money because you end up spending what you saved to renew the membership.
And then I get this coupon which is CLEARLY phrased in a way to trick you into renewing.

Sorry for the rant but GUH! This particular store is just bad too.
Is there anyway to get ahold of the GVP products without going to sallys?

It also bothers me that they offer multiple tangle teezers online but the stores only sells the single bright pink version. No other colors or sizes.

GUH sallys, I gave you so much money and still you are this way!!! :confused:sallys

kittengirl
December 1st, 2016, 07:03 PM
That is annoying. I am scared to go into my local Sally's for a silly reason. I should mention that I am very socially anxious and shy and that this was probably my issue and not the lady's but......
I went into Sally's with my 3 yo son in his stroller. He is language delayed and at that time did not talk except for a few words, ie no sentences. The older lady working there came up to him and was getting right up in his face trying to get him to answer her and when I explained about his speech delay and that he attends special education for it she started telling him to watch her lips and insisting she could make him talk. He finally said a word and she looked at me and went, "see, he can talk!" She proceeded to touch his face and try to turn him to look at her and it made me very uncomfortable. She was just trying to be nice I know, but I don't like when people get up in his face and I don't like when people try to tell me I am mistaken about his speech delays.

Sorry I just had to add why I'm scared of Sally's! :p I know a socially normal person wouldn't be....

but seriously about the coupons that is ridiculous. I always end up spending more there cause I read the prices wrong and see the club member prices when I'm not a club member :(

ETA My son did not share my discomfort and was enjoying the attention lol

renia22
December 1st, 2016, 07:08 PM
I hear you. When my membership expires next time, I'm not renewing again either. They never let me get my free product last time, they couldn't find it in the system. I think you're right about it not really being worth it to renew. Perhaps for people who shop there a lot..

Groovy Granny
December 1st, 2016, 09:23 PM
Amazon sells GVP products
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=GVP+matrix+conditioner
Good luck :cheer:

DweamGoiL
December 1st, 2016, 09:55 PM
Personally, not a huge fan of Sally's. They do push the membership thing and every time I have gone into my local one, the cashiers seem to be more interested in socializing with each other rather than helping the customers. I just don't have time to wait until they feel like ringing up my purchases. There are so many other stores that sell similar items, Target, Wallgreen's, and we have no shortage of beauty supply stores in this area so it's not like they are the only game in town. I have also been cone free from many years so many of their products don't really do it for me.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 1st, 2016, 10:13 PM
Amazon sells GVP products
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=GVP+matrix+conditioner
Good luck :cheer:

Yessss thank you! Now I can add it to my wishlist.

Groovy Granny
December 1st, 2016, 10:25 PM
Yessss thank you! Now I can add it to my wishlist.

Awesome :)

Strands
December 1st, 2016, 10:34 PM
I always go to sallys with high hopes and leave disappointed with products that are "meh" at best. I feel like they are a scam disguised as a deal personally...

Llama
December 1st, 2016, 10:47 PM
I swear the same exact thing happened to me at Sallys years ago...wouldn't honor their coupon and told me it was expired even though I pointed directly to the expiration date on the coupon and showed them it was not expired. She told me the date was printed incorrectly on the coupon or something like that. I remember walking out as well. Like wtf? Lol

I had completely forgotten about that whole situation. But even despite that I just hate Sally's. The stores around here are very cramped and unwelcoming and nothing really appeals to me in there really anyways. Last thing I got from there was a tangle teezer forever ago and those are cheaper on Amazon.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 1st, 2016, 11:41 PM
I swear the same exact thing happened to me at Sallys years ago...wouldn't honor their coupon and told me it was expired even though I pointed directly to the expiration date on the coupon and showed them it was not expired. She told me the date was printed incorrectly on the coupon or something like that. I remember walking out as well. Like wtf? Lol

I had completely forgotten about that whole situation. But even despite that I just hate Sally's. The stores around here are very cramped and unwelcoming and nothing really appeals to me in there really anyways. Last thing I got from there was a tangle teezer forever ago and those are cheaper on Amazon.

What was more annoying was it was labeled DEC 1 - DEC 31st and the coupon said "save this december!" so it clearly wasnt expired.
Then when I asked why it would be phrased that way if in the end you need the card/membership to get ANY discount, and all she could say was "I dont know, i dont make the coupons." She didnt try very hard to contact a manager, when she was the one that asked me if I wanted to speak to a higher up. It was like she wanted to come off as helpful because other customers were present. In the end, I didnt want to start a scene over saving maybe 5$. I dont think ill be going to a sallys again.

Are they really? I wanted to purchase a spare one I could leave at my boyfriends apartment, and if I can pay less than 16$ including shipping, I will.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 1st, 2016, 11:43 PM
I always go to sallys with high hopes and leave disappointed with products that are "meh" at best. I feel like they are a scam disguised as a deal personally...

I mean, I have never ever EVER seen them as a deal. The black friday and cyber monday sales they had were a complete joke.
I think they are pretty inexpensive depending on what you need and buy in comparison to salon products imo. But the products themselves are not much different than what youd find at the grocer.
However I do love the GVP products. Thankfully I can find them online!! Which I never knew.

Llama
December 1st, 2016, 11:57 PM
What was more annoying was it was labeled DEC 1 - DEC 31st and the coupon said "save this december!" so it clearly wasnt expired.
Then when I asked why it would be phrased that way if in the end you need the card/membership to get ANY discount, and all she could say was "I dont know, i dont make the coupons." She didnt try very hard to contact a manager, when she was the one that asked me if I wanted to speak to a higher up. It was like she wanted to come off as helpful because other customers were present. In the end, I didnt want to start a scene over saving maybe 5$. I dont think ill be going to a sallys again.

Are they really? I wanted to purchase a spare one I could leave at my boyfriends apartment, and if I can pay less than 16$ including shipping, I will.

Yeah maybe since they use such outdated equipment it might be a pain to ring up a coupon without a membership card? I have no idea lol. But yeah not worth making a scene over...just leave and don't give them any money is the best you can do I guess.
I got my tangle teezer off Amazon in the blue and pink color for 9.99 and free shipping (I don't have Prime, it was just free shipping through the seller).

Looks like they have the purple and pink one for about the same price and free shipping- https://www.amazon.com/Tangle-Teezer-NO-PU-011012-Brush-purple/dp/B008HJRLXK/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1480661390&sr=1-2&keywords=tangle%2Bteezer&th=1

reilly0167
December 2nd, 2016, 07:08 PM
I have a sally card, and if I don't have my card on me they go by my phone number and have no problem at all. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 2nd, 2016, 07:34 PM
I just wish we had Sally's in this country! They have such awesome stuff and we have nothing like it here, you all are lucky, I think.

wispe
December 3rd, 2016, 05:55 PM
I have a sally card, and if I don't have my card on me they go by my phone number and have no problem at all. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience.

Same. I don't carry a card but they always look it up by number without a problem. Well, two of my local sally's do, I won't go to the third because the staff are intimidating and I feel unwelcome when I stop by there :( But the other two I've had nothing but good experiences with. I only pick up things that I would be buying anyway. I do buy a lot of my hair stuff online or at wal-mart/target/walgreens still, but there happens to be a Sally's right next to my grocery store so for me it's convenient to drop in. My mom gets their coupons via text pretty often I think. (it's her membership/card, she shares w/ me)

DarleneH
December 4th, 2016, 11:50 AM
I don't keep my card with me either, never had a problem, and the salespeople I've met have all been wonderful. I hate to hear it's crappy where you guy's are because I love going in there.

Lavendersugar
December 4th, 2016, 02:54 PM
I'm lucky enough to have a good Sally's. The manager is great and she always hires great gals. I've never had an issue and they've always been kind. They also never hand out hair advice unless they know or have been informed by a professional. This is very rare but I have had the pleasure to shop at two other stores that are this way.

I've been in some horrible Sally's. They hand out advice not knowing a thing about hair. They ignore customers and chat with each other. Typically these are the stores where coupon issues happen.

I'm sorry you had issues. I know the frustration with poor customer service. I've never had the customer card as I have their pro card. I have heard that the customer card is a pain and not worth it.

cassandraj
December 5th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Personally, not a huge fan of Sally's. They do push the membership thing and every time I have gone into my local one, the cashiers seem to be more interested in socializing with each other rather than helping the customers. I just don't have time to wait until they feel like ringing up my purchases. There are so many other stores that sell similar items, Target, Wallgreen's, and we have no shortage of beauty supply stores in this area so it's not like they are the only game in town. I have also been cone free from many years so many of their products don't really do it for me.

This!! Every single one I've gone to (Illinois, Wisconsin & now, Alabama), the clerks never seem interested in helping anyone. I have to hunt for them when I need help, and even then, they're just not helpful at all!

AspenSong
December 5th, 2016, 03:14 PM

Oh, so they ignore people in Every state?!! *eyeroll*
I have not had one good experience as far as customer service at a Sallys. At mine, they're usually in the back room, talking. No one at the register or anything. And it's not just younger ladies, there's middle aged women working in there and they're just as bad. Plus, I've heard them give out some questionable advice on things. =/ I've had coupon issues too. *shrug*

renia22
December 11th, 2016, 03:16 PM
The one that I go to has decent staff, they ask if you need help and if you say no, they pretty much just leave you alone until you are ready to check out. Which I appreciate, because the store is small, but I have no idea what half the stuff is in there so I like to poke around, and hate when customer service people hover over me.

They do tend to be hit or miss for me, though. I tried a few of their GVP generic versions of salon products. I didn't like their version of Biolage (shampoo dried out my hair, conditioner too waxy) or Paul Mitchell Lavender Mint (not as nice of a scent, also same issues as with Biolage), but I love their version of Paul Mitchell original Awapuhi shampoo. They also have the Wild Ginger Awapuhi versions, but I haven't tried those. Their version of Clairol Shimmer lights I actually like better than Clairol's. I also tried the regular Ion clarifying shampoo (the one with sulfates), and loved it. One of the Ion lines also smell like the old Jhirmack EFA shampoo from the 80s. Can't recall which one, maybe the volumizing? But it has a great orange creamsicle scent. I've also tried the tube of Feria conditioner, which is a full size version of the conditioners that come in those little packets that they include in the boxes Feria hair color. That was a nice one, too. Not a bad store, I find myself going there every once in a while when I get sick of what I have.

mizukitty
December 11th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Love Sally's. Hate staff. Every time I go they're extremely rude teenagers who roll their eyes at me when THEIR credit card touch screen doesn't work. Like I'm supposed to know it's button use only. Urgh, so irritating. As a product junkie I love to buy and try tons of new stuff and I can't resist OPI nail polish clearance at Sally's (seriously it's like $3). But their nasty employees prevent me from entering that store. Last time I was in there I bought their ion brand "repair" something or other protein conditioner and I don't really like it. Not saying it's a bad product, but I think my hair just doesn't want protein. So it collects dust, and I stay away. Bleh. Really love their spray bottles and hair color applicator bottles, though. They're inexpensive and indispensable.

Anje
December 11th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Huh. My local one (in Speedway, Indianapolis) had helpful staff, the couple times I've gone in. However, I'm really stuck on Adore for funky color dyes, and it's a different beauty supply shop in the same strip mall that sells that, which is more geared toward treatments, hair for braiding, and wigs.

lora410
December 13th, 2016, 04:17 PM
I dont go there much. If you want to return something you have to call corporate and then they have to call the store with authorization. Most retarded thing I have ever heard of and their hair dyes suck!!!

Techmouse
December 16th, 2016, 08:51 PM
I try to take the customer service at Sally's in stride, but it can get annoying. I have had to explain to the staff at two different stores in two different countries why I choose to purchase "ethnic" hair care products. (Disclaimer: I'm allergic to the sun, so I am paler than Snow White. I'm also allergic to a lot of other stuff.) I sort of lost my temper at one point and told one of the clerks something along the lines of, "My hair likes it and I'm not allergic to it. I don't care if it's marketed for little green men from mars."
On the plus side, at the store I go to most often the staff has gotten used to it, so they don't bother me about my product choices any more.
IMHO "ethnic haircare section" is Sally's code for "where all the good stuff is."

Rowdy
December 16th, 2016, 08:55 PM
I like Sally's for when I need something fast or don't want to wait for shipping or when I want to examine something in person first.

turtlelover
December 16th, 2016, 11:20 PM
I used to go there all the time for their Ion Demi Dye and 10 volume developer, which actually was pretty great stuff. It was surprisingly easy on my hair, and had nice depth to it, but since I love red tones, I switched to henna, which I love even more because it doesn't fade and there is no developer needed, obviously. I've never encountered rude or unpleasant staff at any Sally's that I've been to.....quite the contrary! I also used to buy some of the GVP products that they carry -- their Nexxus clones and Biolage clones. I've moved onto some other things, but they were actually pretty good. I also liked the One N Only Argan line, but the fragrance got to me after awhile and I moved on to other things. I am looking to mix up my products a bit and try some new shampoos and conditioners soon, so I might have to make a visit. I always feel a little bit overwhelmed when shopping for hair products lately, however, because I am really not sure what my hair genuinely needs. I've never had an employee comment on anything that I was buying or even make any suggestions unless I asked them outright. I'm surprised that they would try to talk you out of a purchase!

H o n є y ❤
December 17th, 2016, 11:36 AM
I lost my card as well. The Sallys where I live can look up your membership by phone number. I'm not sure why it isn't like this at every Sallys.

dansyl
December 18th, 2016, 09:22 AM
I LOVE sally's but I have found the staff knows less about hair than I do and I don't feel like I know that much. They have always been friendly though!

renia22
December 26th, 2016, 07:18 PM
FYI, if anyone else likes curl leave in creams, I just bought the Ion Curl Correction Cream on clearance for $2.99. It's a top rated product so I'm not sure why they are discontinuing it, but it's super cheap right now if you like that kind of thing...

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 27th, 2016, 12:09 AM
So I found out that my mother renewed her card earlier this year.
However when I went early this month, they told me the card in my mothers name was expired?
So I guess there is no point in trying to renew anyway.
Apparently my store doesn't know how to do anything.

I need some more GVP and I want to pick up a chelating shampoo but I am dragging my feet.

Cattiva
December 27th, 2016, 07:55 PM
I've spent so much money and tried so much stuff from Sally's, but always end up disappointed. This is including GVP products. Actually wait, that's a lie, I did find two things I liked there. Beauty Secrets Cuticle Oil and Feria Color Moisturizing Treatment. Everything else that I have tried Sally can go shove.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 28th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Went in today, got what I needed.

Once again the clerk had incredibly fried bleached to purple hair.
It reminded me a lot of how my hair use to look before LHC.

renia22
March 15th, 2021, 11:29 AM
*double post*

renia22
March 15th, 2021, 01:26 PM
FYI for anyone who shops at Sally’s, I noticed they now carry their Generic Value Products versions of some Aveda products. Aveda is very expensive, so I’m planning on trying one of these next time:

https://i.ibb.co/6BD2667/18785-D10-52-EC-4-F35-A7-BF-D1-B943-DF925-B.jpg (https://ibb.co/jR3d77P)
https://i.ibb.co/9vpwVSS/C4692-BA6-D415-41-AC-A670-8-A8-DCB94-C6-BA.jpg (https://ibb.co/pP1WR55)
https://i.ibb.co/d6nZdpT/0-CDEEB13-6-B93-42-C8-9-DB6-E064-ADD4-B384.jpg (https://ibb.co/S0qShmj)

ipickee
March 15th, 2021, 01:37 PM

This part, 100%. Not only that, but I don't think they've ever had what I was really looking for. Which means I either have super weird taste, or they have much less of a selection that they should. I prefer to think its the later.

Eastbound&Down
March 15th, 2021, 07:07 PM
I like Sally's for when I need something fast or don't want to wait for shipping or when I want to examine something in person first.

^this. I pretty much only go there for hair oils at this point, sometimes I'll grab some hair mask pouches if they are on sale. I have to drive almost 45 minutes into the nearest city to get there, so I usually know exactly why I'm going in and I've never had any issues with the staff luckily.

Eastbound&Down
March 15th, 2021, 07:08 PM

^this. I pretty much only go there for hair oils at this point, sometimes I'll grab some hair mask pouches if they are on sale. I have to drive almost 45 minutes into the nearest city to get there, so I usually know exactly why I'm going in and I've never had any issues with the staff luckily.