PDA

View Full Version : Blunt cuts - do they exist anymore on adults in the "real world" outside of TLHC?

turtlelover
November 30th, 2016, 06:28 PM
I am at BSL, and have slowly been trimming layers out of my hair, and have made great progress at that. However, when I look around in the "real world" in this area, I barely EVER see blunt cuts on people over the age of 12. If I see long hair, it is normally layered. Is this just a midwest USA thing, or are blunt cuts really that rare on adults? Also, if I ever dare to venture to a hairdresser, they ALWAYS want to layer my hair because of it being wavy. *sigh* Perhaps in some respects it would look better w/ layers, but then I can't do the braids that I love so much without tons of hair popping out all the time. That kind of ruins the fun of long hair for me. So, am I really dating myself THAT much by wanting to move away from layers? I've been told it is too 60s retro looking, but then again, I kind of liked the vibe of that era! :/ I have my own personal theory that a lot of celebrities have layers and "texturizing" done because it makes it easier to hide extensions and not because it necessarily looks nicer. I mean, layers can DEFINITELY look fabulous, but I find slightly U shaped blunt cut hair to be my favorite cut visually on a lot of people. Layered Kardashian style hair can be gorgeous, but it isn't the only style of long hair that I find attractive.

RebekahE
November 30th, 2016, 06:47 PM
They are pretty rare at least in my area. Majority of my family ( I have a very large family, counting cousins, aunts, uncles etc. Probably 150-200) have layers of some sort (Except the guys of course). I can think of only a handful of family members that have blunt cuts. My hair has always had a blunt cut, I've never had layers, bangs, v or u. Just a blunt cut. Some people have pushed for me to get bangs, layers or to simply cut my hair. I have tossed around the idea of getting a u cut once I reach classic kind of like what Crystal Gayle's looked liked when she cut back to classic from knee. Sorry, off topic.

turtlelover
November 30th, 2016, 06:53 PM
They are pretty rare at least in my area. Majority of my family ( I have a very large family, counting cousins, aunts, uncles etc. Probably 150-200) have layers of some sort (Except the guys of course). I can think of only a handful of family members that have blunt cuts. My hair has always had a blunt cut, I've never had layers, bangs, v or u. Just a blunt cut. Some people have pushed for me to get bangs, layers or to simply cut my hair. I have tossed around the idea of getting a u cut once I reach classic kind of like what Crystal Gayle's looked liked when she cut back to classic from knee. Sorry, off topic.

Not off topic at all! ;-) Very interesting!

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 30th, 2016, 07:01 PM
I think its really common for stylists to push layers, especially with our texture. I have "thick" hair, and its wavy and they would always cut layers into my hair, and it would get worse because once one stylist cut them the next would cut them without even asking me if I wanted to refresh the layers.
The last stylist I had, asked me if I wanted to trim my layers but she only asked because the first second I was in her chair I said "I want minimal cut off! I am growing my hair long, so only dust the ends." I paid her 30$ so in the end she probably didnt care. But I had to be straight forward and blunt, to get blunt hair.
Now the only layers I have are in my bangs or are my bangs because I have glasses and they rip through the sides of my hair. But overall my layers have grown out. It took me two friggen years and I still have one more inch before they are completely blunt. LOL

So many ladies get layers not really knowing what it entails, and a lot of stylists do it i think because 1. its easy and shows drastic results so it looks like the stylist did more than she actually did so stylists often push it, and 2. people like layers and often show examples to their stylists of hair that is layered, i dont know why, but they do. and they dont realize what it actually does to the hair. I see blunt cuts a lot here in LA, but its blunt and SHORT (think lob cuts) and its just a trend.

Obsidian
November 30th, 2016, 07:14 PM
The only person I know with a blunt cut is my niece and she has stick straight baby fine mid back hair. There are a few long hairs around here, all have layers or at least fairy tale ends.

school of fish
November 30th, 2016, 07:16 PM
My inclination is that it's a regional thing as well as the current popular aesthetic of this era.

Where I live (a large city in Southern Ontario, Canada) real life hair is all over the map - layers, blunt, short, long, very styled, very natural, and so on. I've certainly noticed that in general hair is longer now than it was 10 or so years ago (popularity and accessibility of extentions as seen on celebs is likely a big contributor the aesthetic shift), but I still see plenty of 'soccer mom' and 'banking exec' hair around here too, in both blunt and layered variations ;)

I don't feel out of place having a blunt hemline, nor do I feel out of place sporting a longer than average length (for these parts). That said, I work in a highly creative field and my circle has always been artistic and individualistic, so maybe it's that the feeling of being out of place is a comfortable one for me ;)

Chromis
November 30th, 2016, 07:29 PM
My inclination is that it's a regional thing as well as the current popular aesthetic of this era.

Where I live (a large city in Southern Ontario, Canada) real life hair is all over the map - layers, blunt, short, long, very styled, very natural, and so on. I've certainly noticed that in general hair is longer now than it was 10 or so years ago (popularity and accessibility of extentions as seen on celebs is likely a big contributor the aesthetic shift), but I still see plenty of 'soccer mom' and 'banking exec' hair around here too, in both blunt and layered variations ;)

I don't feel out of place having a blunt hemline, nor do I feel out of place sporting a longer than average length (for these parts). That said, I work in a highly creative field and my circle has always been artistic and individualistic, so maybe it's that the feeling of being out of place is a comfortable one for me ;)

I agree with this!

I will say, I think hairdresses just like to push layers on everyone. I don't even have very thick hair and they always wanted to give them to me twenty years ago even, when I did see plenty of blunt cuts in the area I lived! Probably what they do a lot in hairdressing school or something, who knows.

Llama
November 30th, 2016, 07:37 PM
It could also be because damage often creates "layers" in poorly treated hair and people on LHC take great care of their hair. :)

Nnaime
November 30th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I know one person who has kept a blunt cut for the majortig of 10 years. Other than that I don't know that I've noticed it on others that many times. I agree with the other ladies too that hairdressers tend to push layers on others, maybe that's just the easiest solution for those who don't maintain hair care etc. I sported layers for a good many years but I have to say I think blunt cuts are.amazing, if I wasn't avoiding the trim I would go for it myself. Not sure I can imagine a good blunt cut on Waist+ hair without it being super thick <3

lithostoic
November 30th, 2016, 09:23 PM
To be fair, at least 50% of people with layers probably didn't ask for them. Hairdressers claim it creates movement when all it does it make my hair look thin lol.

spirals
November 30th, 2016, 09:24 PM
I'd say I haven't seen blunt cuts on adults that often for the last 20 years. I've lived on the west coast and in the midwest in that time period. Here in Wisconsin the preferred look from 2002 to 2010 seemed to be a cut that looked like it was done by a weed whacker. All that said, I think a blunt is gorgeous because it shows off the hair's health. It's my goal to get rid of all layers, though I do want the perimeter graduated in front always.

Madora
November 30th, 2016, 09:45 PM
There's nothing wrong with a good blunt cut! It gives thinner hair the look of more thickness and makes the hair look healthy and trim. If you want a blunt cut, good for you. Hair of one length also makes it easier to create updos that are neat and tidy. Don't let anyone try and talk you into layers if you don't want them. I figure a stylist worth his/her salt should know how to cut hair properly..and that includes a blunt trim. And just don't tell them you want a blunt cut...show them a picture and make sure they understand that you want only "x" cut off. Make them repeat it. It's your hair and your money. A proper blunt cut looks wonderful.

Deborah
November 30th, 2016, 09:50 PM
I think it must be regional. In Colorado I see all sorts of long hair, and lots of them are blunt cut.

vampyyri
November 30th, 2016, 09:52 PM
I've always been pushed into layers until I got to my last stylist and was really firm about only trimming the ends by .5"... she ended up lopping off nearly 3" which was where my layers ended anyway, so it kind of worked out that she didn't fully listen to me.

As for blunt cuts, over in my parts here I don't see them post bobs really. Some women with BSL hair (the longest I've seen in my office building) are usually a V hemline.

Frankenstein
November 30th, 2016, 09:54 PM
I think I see an equal amount of blunt cuts and layered cuts here.

Groovy Granny
November 30th, 2016, 09:59 PM
I am in Northern New England and in my area most are short, layered, and dyed!

The handful of adult longhairs I see are no longer than hip and have fairytail or U shaped hemlines.
They don't style their hair either, beyond a ponytail or barrette; only 1 lady my age does a cinnamon bun with hidden pins.

I always have a wavy hemline (even when sleek in dry air)....and then have full curls in humidity, so I prefer a U hemline.

LadyCelestina
November 30th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Europe, I see just as much or more blunt cuts than layers. Except on women who (guessing) are over 40 - they tend to go for layered hair.

LadyCelestina
November 30th, 2016, 10:03 PM
btw, I really like the distinction between the real world and the LHC :D

turtlelover
November 30th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Truthfully, I can't see myself going totally straight line across w/ my waves, but I can definitely see a slightly U shaped blunt hemline in my future if I can be patient, cause that would still be very easy to braid. Might keep the tiniest possible amount of little wispies just adjacent to my bangs to soften updos a tiny bit....a very, very tiny number of hairs. And, I'm over 40! ;-) I kind of like the idea of defying age norms. HAHA!

Groovy Granny
November 30th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Wait until you are my age....talk about defying norms! LOL

People must think I am a crazy old bird with my long silver hair, unique styles, and hair toys :rollin:

turtlelover
November 30th, 2016, 10:57 PM
Wait until you are my age....talk about defying norms! LOL

People must think I am a crazy old bird with my long silver hair, unique styles, and hair toys :rollin:

Is that supposed to be a BAD thing? ;-) haha

Flipgirl24
November 30th, 2016, 11:40 PM

What? Crystal Gale went to classic? When did she do this? Wow!

Flipgirl24
November 30th, 2016, 11:50 PM
I think you are correct. The only blunt cuts I see are lobs and bobs. I prefer layers myself as i feel it gets heavy without them. Right now I could use a cut. I think the layered style is always popular because the thing to do is have movement and shape. I don't get layers to have the popular thing; just think it's too heavy.

But you do you! If you like blunt cut, then that is great! Doesn't matter what is in vogue or what others are doing. What matters is if you like your hair.

Kake
November 30th, 2016, 11:59 PM
Hairdressers claim it creates movement when all it does it make my hair look thin lol.

So true. My hair turns into a thin cloud of whisp when layered. Layers probably do create movement on some hair types, but not mine.

Groovy Granny
December 1st, 2016, 01:06 AM
Is that supposed to be a BAD thing? ;-) haha
I don't think so....but around here it is an act of defiance :eyebrows:

So true. My hair turns into a thin cloud of whisp when layered. Layers probably do create movement on some hair types, but not mine.

Mine neither...been there and couldn't grow it out fast enough!

Borgessa
December 1st, 2016, 02:08 AM
I say even when your hair is very thin, (like my own) the hairdresser wants to put in layers, it will make it look fuller they say. I think layers are their solution to everything hair. Needless to say it didn't make my hair look full/thicker, and took a long time to grow out. This is why my hubby cuts my hair :) In New Zealand I see long blunt and layered ends. I'm surprised at the amount of long hair i see with good healthy blunt ends just worn lose, midway down their back, where my own ends are so fragile. Ahhhhh someone elses hair eh? Grass is always longer/greener thicker, shinier on someone elses head. I digress.

lapushka
December 1st, 2016, 04:34 AM
I think layers are just more popular. Not that blunt cuts don't exist. When I do go out, most people have either ponytails or pixie cuts / various short hair dos.

HairPlease
December 1st, 2016, 05:57 AM
I think hairdressers simple enjoy cutting layers.
That being said, I had layers while growing my hair out from the shortest pixie you've never seen, and I despised of every moment with them. I'm a 1c.

Arctic
December 1st, 2016, 06:17 AM
I have absolutely never payed attention to details like that, ha ha :o

JadeTigress
December 1st, 2016, 06:20 AM
To be fair, at least 50% of people with layers probably didn't ask for them. Hairdressers claim it creates movement when all it does it make my hair look thin lol.

Yup, I'm one of those. I had my layers (minus my overgrown bangs) grown out so that I only had about 2 inches left before everything was even. My last "trim" turned into the guy HEAVILY layering my hair even though I said I was trying to grow everything out.

My hair is very fine and not all that thick, and needs the length to weigh it down. So now I have tons of shoulder length layers that poof out around my head, while the rest of the (now pitifully thin) length has enough weight at almost BSL to not poof out like the top half. It looks ridiculous.

OhSuzi
December 1st, 2016, 07:56 AM
I've seen a few blunt cuts on women with straight fine hair - but generally it's rare I notice genuinely long hair (beyond say about arm pit) at all on the general public above the age of about 14.
Shoulder upwards there's a mix of just about everything blunt bob / layered bobs/ shags/ curls/ straight / pixies /undercuts/ dyed / natural/permed /bangs no bangs.
On the rare occasions I go out down town on a Friday there's generally still a footballers wives/wag fashion of 20-30 of women with long hair extensions, straight but big curls at the bottom – it’s a pretty look but it’s kind of everywhere.
At least if you have a long blunt cut & no one else does you’re going against the grain & being original.
How annoying is it when the thing that you’ve done all the time suddenly becomes fashionable and people make assumptions about you – oh you’ve got the blunt cut like Kate Middleton, I didn’t take you for one of the Henley Regatta wannabe crowd - or whatever.
(I have no idea what Kate’s hair is like and that’s a made up fashion term - but you get the idea)

Cg
December 1st, 2016, 02:54 PM
It likely depends on where you live and where you visit. I see lots of blunt cuts on adults with longer hair.

Llama
December 1st, 2016, 05:36 PM
I have absolutely never payed attention to details like that, ha ha :o

This is kinda where I'm at...Lol.

XiaoBaiTu
December 1st, 2016, 08:45 PM
In my hometown I see all types of hair, but it's generally on the long side and blunt cut (though a little hard to tell as there are a lot of wavy, curly, and kinky folks in my city). Where I go to college, almost everyone I know has a blunt hemline.

My theory is that layered haircuts and the college life don't go together that well. My college has a reputation for rigorous academics and overachieving students -- without time for much hair care, most girls essentially practice benign neglect, and put their hair up instead of washing it all the time. But the average, medium-long hair would be hard to put up if it was dramatically layered.

turtlelover
December 1st, 2016, 08:51 PM
In my hometown I see all types of hair, but it's generally on the long side and blunt cut (though a little hard to tell as there are a lot of wavy, curly, and kinky folks in my city). Where I go to college, almost everyone I know has a blunt hemline.

My theory is that layered haircuts and the college life don't go together that well. My college has a reputation for rigorous academics and overachieving students -- without time for much hair care, most girls essentially practice benign neglect, and put their hair up instead of washing it all the time. But the average, medium-long hair would be hard to put up if it was dramatically layered.

I think that the biggest appeal of the more blunt haircuts is just that -- the ease in braiding and putting them up.

Anje
December 1st, 2016, 08:55 PM
I can think of at least three or four blunt cuts (or nearly so) among researchers on my floor, off the top of my head. They definitely exist, but they probably appeal to the more no-nonsense types who want something they can put up without difficulty.

spidermom
December 1st, 2016, 08:57 PM
Last time I got mine cut I asked for layers, but the stylist cut it blunt first and said she really liked the way my hair looked with all the weight at the bottom. I did too, although I did the compact layering method myself this week for some subtle layers.

DweamGoiL
December 1st, 2016, 09:03 PM
I don't see a lot of blunt cuts in my area either. I do see quite a few girls and women with long hair, but for the most part, they are either layered or V shaped. We also have a large southern Asian community and the older more traditional females do keep the hair with blunt hemlines.

turtlelover
December 1st, 2016, 09:05 PM
Last time I got mine cut I asked for layers, but the stylist cut it blunt first and said she really liked the way my hair looked with all the weight at the bottom. I did too, although I did the compact layering method myself this week for some subtle layers.

Variety is the spice of life. I'd be bored if I couldn't change things up now and then. :-) I do tend to like wavier hair w/ some layers, but it is super easy for me to tame the waves when my hair is longer, so layers for encouraging wave are less useful now than when my hair was shoulder length-ish, where they were necessary to not go insane from triangle head syndrome. Still, after all of the years of shorter, layered hair, a more blunt hemline feels kind of fresh and new for the moment, though I will definitely keep some kind of U shape! I'm not sure I've seen pics of your hair since your latest cut, but I've always liked your hair no matter what you did with it.

hopefulred
December 1st, 2016, 10:06 PM
When my hair is healthy (which is what I'm working towards as I grow out the horrible damaged bleached hair) it's pretty thick as with most red heads I have thick hairs, we don't have as much hair as other hair colours but what we do have are thick individual hairs so I've always had layers to thin it out abit. I love the blunt look on bobs and lobs although when my virgin hair eventually gets to that length I won't get rid of the layers which I will have because essentially I'm growing out a buzz cut (all the non virgin hair is all getting chopped off in 9montgs to a year) so I want to get as much length as possible which will mean keeping layers for afew years at least. I've never really given it much though until now about having layers when it's long I have just always had them so it's something to think about!!

stachelbeere
December 2nd, 2016, 01:37 AM
England: I see lots of blunt cuts on long haired women (MBL+), usually it's a U-hem line and rather straight hair.
Poland: lot's of blunt cuts! Especially women in their 20's who have BSL+ hair wear blunt cuts

JohannaDutch
December 2nd, 2016, 02:41 AM
I have had layered hair for a long time. From three to five layers wavy looking. And a emo-style that they did with a barbers-blade thingy (don't know if its the right name for it). I liked the bounce and volume it created with my hair. I did my hair a lot of wrong...
But then I realized that in combination with dying my hair. The layers where damaging my hair more than I wanted it to do. There was a lott of friction between the layers.
With that I got a lot of split ends some split up to the scalp :cry:. I had to go the the salon again and so on my hair didn't grow longer than armpit lenght. Really frustrating.
A year ago I got a soft V shape but blunt. And the damage is far less! I'm mm away from BSL and have far less split ends.
The only hairproblem I have now is that I did a Balayage in september this year en my hair is dry.
I really believe that a blunt cut is more protecting than layered hair. But that's just my experience with it.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 06:10 AM

Which method did you use, ponytail on top or on the forehead? And what did you think of the results? :)

spidermom
December 2nd, 2016, 07:09 AM
Which method did you use, ponytail on top or on the forehead? And what did you think of the results? :)

Ponytail on top-middle of my head, then cut about 2 inches. The results are very subtle. I like it!

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 07:20 AM
Ponytail on top-middle of my head, then cut about 2 inches. The results are very subtle. I like it!

Glad you like it. :cheer:

Yeah, if you cut a tiny bit off, the results aren't that "major". I remember that when I first attempted this. Now it's part of my routine and I dare let a bigger piece go. Too big sometimes. LOL! ;)

mermaid lullaby
December 2nd, 2016, 08:07 AM
I can't really tell what the trend is anymore :jestor:

Lisa-K
December 2nd, 2016, 09:34 AM

EXACTLY!!! And I can't believe it took me so many years to finally look at my own pictures and realize just how thin those freaking layers made my hair look. I don't know why I never noticed it before.

Serimel
December 2nd, 2016, 10:35 AM
I think I've seen a clear rise of blunt cuts in Finland during last two years. I don't know is it because lately I have started to really pay attention to my own growing process but I feel like I see superlong blunt cuts around me all the time. XD It's really a thing among teenagers. More mature women tend to have more blunt cut lobs and bobs. I do think that the blunt cut goes really well with the typical Finnish clean cut fashion and I would prefer to have a blunt cut myself too but at the moment it would just be too huge of a chop for me. I think when I hit hip/tailbone I'll just maintain there for a few years to chop off the layers and damage little by little.

Cg
December 2nd, 2016, 11:25 AM
I think that the biggest appeal of the more blunt haircuts is just that -- the ease in braiding and putting them up.

That may very well be true, for those who regularly braid and bun. Others prefer that hemline for when it's down.

truepeacenik
December 2nd, 2016, 02:42 PM
I agree with this!

I will say, I think hairdresses just like to push layers on everyone. I don't even have very thick hair and they always wanted to give them to me twenty years ago even, when I did see plenty of blunt cuts in the area I lived! Probably what they do a lot in hairdressing school or something, who knows.

When I was young, the statement was "layers will make your hair look thicker."
Of course, stylists would exclaim over the thickness of my hair anyway.
Now, I hear that layers will give my hair motion and /or frame my face. Because proportionally, it's "thinner" (maybe less bulky?) than it was at any point in the past. Yeah, it's also more than a foot longer than at any point before.

So, layers are Carter's Little Pills for hair? ;)

(It's a reference to patent medicines in the US. (1880-1920) One company was Carter's and they made a "little" pill for everything. So many that "as many X as Carter's has little pills" was common vernacular. Such as "he has as many excuses as Carter's has little pills.)

I notice extensions tend to be blunt, locally. So there may be something to care of the natural hair.

see_turtle
December 2nd, 2016, 05:38 PM
I see a lot of blunt cuts at the local college ( small state school in NH).

Iamsiam
December 4th, 2016, 02:51 AM
Just about everyone I know have layering of some kind. I'm the odd one out (nothing new there). I've had layers before, courtesy of scissor happy hairdressers. The only achievements were making me look like a mushroom and encouraging split ends higher up the length. I could, however scrunch dry my hair nicely... but whoop de doo. I don't use heat on my hair anymore so that makes no difference. I like a blung cut, especially on longer hair. The ends look thicker and healthier. I tend to steer far away from "trendy" styles

catmashie
December 4th, 2016, 06:17 AM
I see both blunt cuts and layering here in Finland. Since shorter hair seems to be more trendy right now here, many people have shoulder length hair with a blunt cut. I personally think blunt cuts look nicer, especially with long hair. It makes the hair look longer. Layers are just too much hassle and annoying to grow out in my opinion.

mizukitty
December 4th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Here in NJ, USA I see a lot of U shaped cuts. Some bobs, and lots of long hair, but not too many edgy, choppy layers. V cuts are rare, but a very soft U is most common. Blunt cuts are kind of rare as well!

Curly Hermione
December 4th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Over here in the UK there seems to be mostly layers, I think hairdressers are the same in the "layer unless told otherwise" school of thought (as I know to my detriment - never again :shudder: )
Although funnily enough both my cousins have quite long thick hair (waist, I'm incredibly jealous), that they keep in more or less a blunt cut. And also three of my friends have their hair cut into that "lop" sort of long bob thing that's stylish now and has a blunt cut. It looks lovely but I'm so jealous! They can just lop it all off into a trendy style and before I know it they're complaining "oh woops its at my waist again how did that happen?!", curse them and their thick straight hair that actually grows! Anyway I digress, I think the blunt cut is still a bit subversive with it's 60s/70s feel, I think it's gorgeous though. And actually that whole look might be making it's way back in style. :flower:

Lisa Long4Life
December 4th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Mine is a blunt cut :) hemline and fringe :D I don't see that many around though...

Avital88
December 4th, 2016, 09:45 AM
In Europe I see blunt cut being a trend right now. Almost everyone I know is sporting a blunt apl cut. . In the Middle East it's very normal to cut hair blunt especially for religious women so I think it really depends on where you are located.i once in a salon saw a lady from Saudi Arabia with knee length hair with a blunt cut and thick ends. Was the best hair I've ever seen!

Anje
December 4th, 2016, 11:33 AM
So I've been trying to pay attention a little more, and I'm definitely seeing blunt cuts when people are APL or longer. I don't know if it's more common on straight hair, or if it's just more obvious when the hair is straight. With the (rarer) folks who are longer than waist and wearing it loose, I start to see softer hems, but I think that's just the nature of longer hair frequently tapering a bit.

vintagelovely
December 4th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Over here in the UK there seems to be mostly layers, I think hairdressers are the same in the "layer unless told otherwise" school of thought (as I know to my detriment - never again :shudder: )

Tell me about it! I feel like every time I've gone to the hairdressers and asked for a one length cut without layers, the response has always been "What? Not even little ones? Really subtle long layers? Nothing??"

cat11
December 7th, 2016, 11:48 AM
I totally see them. And almost everybody I see with one has very healthy looking hair, too. Compared with the layered and short population which is more heavily dyed and dried out.

Tell me about it! I feel like every time I've gone to the hairdressers and asked for a one length cut without layers, the response has always been "What? Not even little ones? Really subtle long layers? Nothing??"

Probably because its boring for the hairdresser haha

vampyyri
December 7th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Here in NJ, USA I see a lot of U shaped cuts. Some bobs, and lots of long hair, but not too many edgy, choppy layers. V cuts are rare, but a very soft U is most common. Blunt cuts are kind of rare as well!

What part of NJ are you in?? I live in NE Jersey (Morris/Sussex), and work close to NYC and I definitely don't see people with long hair in my parts :lol: The longest I've seen is BSL.

mizukitty
December 11th, 2016, 07:33 PM
What part of NJ are you in?? I live in NE Jersey (Morris/Sussex), and work close to NYC and I definitely don't see people with long hair in my parts :lol: The longest I've seen is BSL.

Bergen! I go east to Edgewater and the Fort Lee area a lot and I see plenty of super long Asian hair. And then I see my frizzy disaster in a mirror and I get sad. Lol. The majority are like waist length, it's very rare to see anything longer than that.

The Maple Leaf
February 11th, 2017, 12:34 PM
I am at BSL, and have slowly been trimming layers out of my hair, and have made great progress at that. However, when I look around in the "real world" in this area, I barely EVER see blunt cuts on people over the age of 12. If I see long hair, it is normally layered. Is this just a midwest USA thing, or are blunt cuts really that rare on adults? Also, if I ever dare to venture to a hairdresser, they ALWAYS want to layer my hair because of it being wavy. *sigh* Perhaps in some respects it would look better w/ layers, but then I can't do the braids that I love so much without tons of hair popping out all the time. That kind of ruins the fun of long hair for me. So, am I really dating myself THAT much by wanting to move away from layers? I've been told it is too 60s retro looking, but then again, I kind of liked the vibe of that era! :/ I have my own personal theory that a lot of celebrities have layers and "texturizing" done because it makes it easier to hide extensions and not because it necessarily looks nicer. I mean, layers can DEFINITELY look fabulous, but I find slightly U shaped blunt cut hair to be my favorite cut visually on a lot of people. Layered Kardashian style hair can be gorgeous, but it isn't the only style of long hair that I find attractive.

The current situation where I live in the Toronto area seems to be that younger women+teenage girls are decently likely to have no layers (for the sake of this post, I won't distinguish between a one-length cut and a U- or V-shaped hemline); women closer to middle age tend to be much more likely to have layered hair. A few years ago, there was A LOT of layered hair around here, but it seems to finally be going out (compare to Prague, where I spent 12 of the past 13 years: there, very few women seem not to have had layered hair in the last decade, but in this decade, I've seen a shift to blunt cuts to a very large extent).

I wouldn't worry about looking "dated". You should look the way you like, not the way a hairdresser (or any layperson offering their unsolicited opinions thinks you should look. I have a man-bob, so where does that date me, the middle ages? The hippie era? The 90s skater scene (of which I was no part)? No, I wear my hair this way because I like how it looks and because I have my own style. This idea that you need to update your appearance to suit the fashion of the time is just another kind of conformism.

This kind of behavior should be considered bad form and unprofessional. In my not so humble opinion, it is not a hairdresser's job or place to suggest any changes to a customer's look unless the customer asks for his or her opinion. If someone wants just a simple trim, they should be given that, no questions asked.

marvel-lover
February 12th, 2017, 09:28 PM
There are a lot of blunt cuts here, but most of them are on women with thin long hair, or thick hair at no longer than BSL. Personally, I'm not looking for a blunt cut. When I reach lower-waist, I'm probably going to go for a U-cut with some longer layers to allow for my wave to look better. Just a personal decision :) I think blunt cuts can look very beautiful though

ravenreed
February 12th, 2017, 10:51 PM
One of the last times I visited a hairdresser, must be about 15 years ago now, I went in with a mid-back length layered cut and asked for a trim. She did a blunt cut on me and I was horrified. I immediately asked her to layer my hair like it was and she made such a face. Blunt cuts in general are not my cup of tea, and I loathe them on my hair. I have wavy, medium-coarse hair and anything blunt turns into a triangle rather quickly. Shorter length blunt cuts give me helmet head, and even with longer lengths it is just not flattering. I have at various times since joining LHC dipped my toes into the waters of U and V hems and always stray back to layers. They also make it much easier for me to wear a bun. However, I do get massive braid shred, but oh well. I wear my hair down more than I wear braids anyway.

emptyque
February 13th, 2017, 08:11 AM
There have been times I asked for a blunt cut with no layers, and then the hairdresser takes out the razor. :nono:

Adavidal
February 13th, 2017, 10:10 AM
I see them pretty often. I've had blunt cuts for years. I think they look best on collarbone - Mid back length hair. I like the way the wavy hair makes the ends choppy. I think a lot of people have layers on long hair because it makes it lighter and easier to work with since it's not so thick?