PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Bangs do you Prefer?

BeccaAngel
November 30th, 2016, 12:46 AM
I have tried side swept, grown out and straight across. I always prefer the side swept. Works better for my hair type. What about you?

Arctic
November 30th, 2016, 02:30 AM
I love all kinds of bangs/fringes of others (except maybe the very thin, wispy type), but I've never really felt comfortable with them myself. I've had all types up bangs over the years, with the exception of U-shaped betty bangs. Bangs should be perfect for my face shape but I feel like a little girl with them, or Peggy Bundy. :laugh: Right now I have face framing layers and I like them. I can style them as side swept bangs if I want to. I think side swept ones might be the most flattering bangs type for me.

yvsa
November 30th, 2016, 02:38 AM
I've chosen; other. Because i wear my bangs side swept but they are rather short and are trimmed as straight across. I'm always trying to grow them out but have not succeeded yet. I'm now focussing on gaining length on the rest of my hair. After that i will try and deal with the fringe issue:).

Nique1202
November 30th, 2016, 04:20 AM
For myself or on people in general? Because I like different things for different faces. On myself, I prefer a nearly-straight-across fringe (I actually do a little curve but it's the same idea) because I'm self-conscious about my forehead, but it's a PITA to maintain and style so I've given it up again in favour of growing out. But, every face is different and my aesthetic choice might not match what another person prefers for themself.

LadyCelestina
November 30th, 2016, 05:08 AM
I'd love to have bangs/ fringe, but then my forehead doesn't balance my jawline. On myself I've like long sideswept bangs the best, but also straight across if it dried right... which it rarely did.

Obsidian
November 30th, 2016, 05:29 AM
Depends on the person and hair type. For me and other curlies, side swept usually look best. I really like straight across blunt bangs on straighter hair.

lapushka
November 30th, 2016, 07:49 AM
I voted "other". I don't like bangs at all.

vampyyri
November 30th, 2016, 08:08 AM
I have side swept, and have had these bangs for about 13 years now!

eladriel
November 30th, 2016, 08:08 AM
I prefer curtain bangs. They're long like side swept bangs but the parting is in the middle. That's what I would have if I wanted bangs.

browneyedsusan
November 30th, 2016, 08:29 AM
I look better with bangs, but can't stand them. IMHO, bangs are a giant PITA.
They are the perfect length for 3 days, then in my eyes. Trim, and they're too short for a week.

None for me, thanks. :)

cassandraj
November 30th, 2016, 08:54 AM
On me, I really love blunt/thick/sort of U shaped bangs...but they grow out too fast, and then they're just a pain to style daily. I end up with a week of lovely bangs...and the next week, they're wonky, and so they get pinned back and they're just a hassle to deal with. Novelty hair style, in my opinion lol

Hay_jules
November 30th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Ive had bangs for probably 10 years or so. 90% of the time they're side swept but occasionally I'll do a blunt straight across bang for sh!ts and giggles. I've never had a hair dresser cut bangs that I like so I learned from youtube. I've been contemplating growing them out but every time they start to grow out they drive me crazy and I cut them back into submission.

LongCurlyTress
November 30th, 2016, 10:08 AM
On me, I really love blunt/thick/sort of U shaped bangs...but they grow out too fast, and then they're just a pain to style daily. I end up with a week of lovely bangs...and the next week, they're wonky, and so they get pinned back and they're just a hassle to deal with. Novelty hair style, in my opinion lol

I could not agree with you more!! :soapbox:

Anje
November 30th, 2016, 11:49 AM
I chose grown-out. I can't stand bangs on myself at all. They look bad and get in the way. When I had them, I stopped moisturizing my forehead so they wouldn't look greasy after an hour, and ended up with still-greasy bangs and the skin peeling on my forehead. They get caught in glasses hinges.

Personal opinion: I think foreheads look intelligent, and high foreheads more so. Definitely am not in favor of hiding that.

BeccaAngel
November 30th, 2016, 12:23 PM
I prefer side swept because not only do they work better for my hair type, they make me feel more grown up. Not that Straight across isn't grown up, some people just pull it off better. In my pics I currently have the straight bangs because I was trying a whole new style/cut. Which I loved, and still do for the most part. But after my bangs started growing back they didn't look right and wouldn't cooperate with me. So back to Side swept, very soon!

Groovy Granny
November 30th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Other = none for me.

I have tried numerous times, but have a natural wurl especially with my silver (and in heat/humidity) and my bangs lay all wonky.

I grew them out in 2013 and never want them again :p

Cg
November 30th, 2016, 01:41 PM
On others, anything that looks attractive is good. I can't have them because I too often must wear a hat and don't want flattened hair, it already has little enough volume.

Flipgirl24
December 1st, 2016, 07:38 PM
I like all kinds of bangs. There are many b people, in my opinion, who could use bangs but I understand why they don't get them. Right now, my bangs are not a full fringe but I tend to blow dry them so they aren't poker straight. They are between wispy and full if that makes sense. I have had them sides wept which I do like but I can't style them to make them look good. A full fringe looks good on people who have more angular faces depending on where they end. I love them all!

Deborah
December 1st, 2016, 11:09 PM
I don't like bangs, so I voted 'grown out'. I see that some others who don't like bangs voted 'other'. I guess we needed a 'don't like bangs' category to make it clear. Or maybe the 'grown outs' PLUS the 'others' EQUALS the 'don't like bangs' people. Oh well, now we are all confused. :couch:

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 1st, 2016, 11:27 PM
I love straight across bangs on myself, and I have had straight across bangs the last 3 years or more. They are a pain in the butt, for sure, but I love them and my forehead is too big for anything else. I had side swept bangs for more than 10 years before I decided to do straight across -- i think they look more "adult" and put together, sure they get oily by day 3 but co washing does enough. But yeah, I got me a big ol 5 head. I tried growing them out once and then quickly gave up lol maybe one day but for now, no thank you!

Also the constant touching and styling and cutting of my bangs REALLY distracts me from cutting my length or using heat on it. Short bangs can be manipulated all the time, which is great for someone like me that gets bored.

lulikrueger
December 2nd, 2016, 01:01 AM
Baby bangs or no bangs! I particularly love when they're wispy

I also do love widow's peak/V bangs, but they don't look that good on me, though :/

I like pretty much every kind of them on other people, from Brigitte Bardot-esque to baby half moons. Lately I've been taking a big liking to see-through bangs, plus they seem really easy to hide, just in case.

JohannaDutch
December 2nd, 2016, 02:44 AM
I've had a haircut like Anne Hathaway in the movie "the devil wears prada"
I like my bangs as long as my hair lenght, but that style was perfect fot me, If i ever do get bangs again, it wil be like that.
But for now I growing lenght haha

HairPlease
December 2nd, 2016, 08:10 AM
I like the look of straight across bangs better than side swept bangs. They're very retro.

dancedance
December 2nd, 2016, 08:30 AM
I like straight across bangs, but worn piecey or parted rather than styled to fall perfectly blunt. They look so nice and effortless to me.

Babyfine
December 2nd, 2016, 12:36 PM
Same as Browneyed Susan. though I look better with them, they are a pain. I do get chin length side-swept bangs cut in every once in awhile. Right now they APL(Hair is BSL).
The trouble is also with my fine, thin, hair with any kind of length bangs really do subtract from body and volume. My braids and ponies are somewhat thicker with the bangs grown out. Yes, it does make a difference.
I've had wispy bangs cut in so as to not steal from the body of the rest of my hair, but wispy bangs + fine hair is a huge PITA. They always look icky, limp and greasy on me- I look much better with full bangs but that steals too much thickness from the rest of my uber fine hair. So no bangs for me at least for now.

Serimel
December 3rd, 2016, 01:03 AM
I love straight across bangs, I've had such in my childhood and later cut the same style in teenage years. I almost went back to bangs two years ago but my hairdresser refused to do that actually. Now I am thankful because I want all the volume in my length and I do remember maintaining bangs kept me really busy since I have quite coarse 1c/2a type hair. There was always hairs sticking to directions I didn't wish for and weird wave clumps so I had to manipulate the hair to have it sit where I want. Too much work for me. :)

Lizzie.torp
December 3rd, 2016, 07:47 AM
I chose other because I'm kind of specific about them. I like face framing bangs that are a little grown out and a little curly giving them that grungy weird girl look.

turtlelover
December 3rd, 2016, 08:41 AM
I like to mix up the bangs a bit. At the moment, they are somewhere between wispy bangs and full bangs -- light without being totally transparent. I cut them in a slightly curved line so that they are longer on the sides and point cut them so they aren't TOO blunt just to soften them a bit. I'd love them if they didn't look greasy after half a day. Dry shampoo is my best friend when I have bangs! haha I had side bangs before, and I hate the way they are in my eyes all the time though I liked the way that they looked at times when they were styled, and I didn't have to cut them as often as the more blunt bangs. I despise hair in my eyes, so I got fed up w/ them in the end. Lighter bangs just below my eyebrows in a slight U curve seems to work best all around. I don't tend to like the super thick super blunt bangs with long hair. From my perspective, the look doesn't work well though there are probably some exceptions.

spidermom
December 3rd, 2016, 07:14 PM
I prefer change.

mizukitty
December 4th, 2016, 06:28 PM
I had extremely dramatic, incredibly thick forehead covering side bangs throughout high school and I grew so sick of them I never want bangs again! With an oily forehead and scalp, they're just way too much work. And for my small face, hiding my forehead makes it look EVEN smaller, so I like no bangs at all.

On others, I really like all types! Wispy front bangs looks very pretty on many, they add a delicate prettiness to the face.

Seija
December 10th, 2016, 10:12 AM
I love straight across bangs.
I wish I could pull them off better but my cowlick is lame

almost alice
December 10th, 2016, 01:59 PM
I voted straight across because that is how I think my bangs look best, but visually I like side swept are the best. I wish I could wear mine like that, but my pin straight hair refuses to stay that way without a lot of product in it and I don't want to have to put product in my hair everyday.

emptyque
December 27th, 2016, 10:48 AM
I like long side-swept bangs. Choppy can look nice too. When I had bangs, I was afraid blunt bangs would make me look like a child.

When I was young, my mom always made me get blunt bangs, so naturally I grew to hate them.

Rosetta
December 27th, 2016, 11:00 AM
I don't like bangs, so I voted 'grown out'. I see that some others who don't like bangs voted 'other'. I guess we needed a 'don't like bangs' category to make it clear. Or maybe the 'grown outs' PLUS the 'others' EQUALS the 'don't like bangs' people. Oh well, now we are all confused. :couch:
:lol:

I voted "grown out" too, and like you I wasn't sure if that meant "no bangs" or just "very long bangs"... But both apply to me anyway, i.e. those are the only kind of bangs I like ;) Never been a big fan of bangs. I have myself very long ones, though as they're around chin-length (or longer, depending when I've last trimmed), not sure you could call them bangs or just face-framing layers.

Sunbeam1788
March 19th, 2017, 08:50 AM
I need to say that I used to underestimate the importance of choosing right bangs for my face shape. I remember that I just woke up one day and decided that I needed bangs. Hairdresser, at the first salon I encountered on my way to the college made me a straight across one. Ever since then I could help the feeling that something is wrong with my bangs…. or my face… or both face and bang:) (I couldn’t imagine that bangs can model face shape - http://therighthairstyles.com/15-side-swept-bangs-to-sweep-your-off-your-feet/). A few years after that I met my current hairdresser, and she told me that my face would benefit most from the side-swept bangs, so I vote for this kind of bangs.

http://i0.wp.com/therighthairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/3-long-burgundy-hairstyle-.jpg

Aunty Miki
March 19th, 2017, 11:12 AM
Mr. Spock bangs😀 saves me from having to trim them often.

WillOTree
March 19th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Side swept or grown out, but I don't like bangs because they get in my eyes or cause acne, so I prefer none at all. :)

Aredhel
March 19th, 2017, 12:00 PM
Grown out. I used to constantly have side swept bangs but I've been growing them out for years because I really don't have thick enough hair to be wasting some of it on bangs. :p Plus I have grown to hate the feeling of hair touching my face.

Starya
March 19th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Thick straight and side swept. I have had both of those at one post my or another. I don't currently have any right now.

lizardspots
March 20th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Straight across! I've cut my own bangs for many years now - I don't have much hair thickness, so I have sacrificed a small amount of hair to the cause and have a semi blunt/semi wispy sort of thing going on. I look rubbish without bangs, and I like how straight across makes me look more youthful and emphasises my eyes. :)

Bexille
May 25th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Straight across :) I think they add so much character. They can be annoying though. I look really good with straight across bangs, but the front of my otherwise straight hair has a bit of a wurly wave to it, so they have to be straightened. I like myself without bangs, too, so sometimes I want to grow them out...but for some reason I look like garbage during the in-between stage--long bangs, side bangs, etc do not work on me. I wish I knew how to grow them gracefully!

Prism
May 25th, 2017, 09:41 PM
Straight across. I wish I didn't need them, but I have a true 6-head.

SnowDancer
May 25th, 2017, 11:13 PM
I love straight across bangs. BUT, with my hair being the curly craziness it is, I would have to style them everyday. I've sworn off heat tools except for special occasions so I'm currently growing them out.

Lady Stardust
May 26th, 2017, 04:24 PM
I voted for straight across because that's what I have at the moment, fairly short and blunt cut. It's a strong look and I sometimes think it's too harsh but I get more compliments about my fringe than for anything else!

In the past I've had a lots of different types of fringes - wispy (in the 80s, awful with my fine hair), a side swept fringe (which I liked, but sometimes it didn't fall very well), Betty Page retro loveliness, and a face framing/jaw length fringe when my hair was shoulder length. I might grow my fringe when my hair gets longer (currently jaw length), just for a change and to see if it balances well with a longer length.

One of my favourite fringe types is the eyebrow grazing rock chick, or even better, Brigitte Bardot. Francoise Hardy also gave good fringe. Unfortunately my hair looks too limp as the fringe gets longer.

Rhoward
May 26th, 2017, 04:29 PM
I voted for straight across, only because it's what looks best on me. :blossom:

Ondine11
May 27th, 2017, 06:33 AM
I wore straight across bangs for years, & they looked great. The thing was,that my hair type (3ab) required torture to create nice bangs. Furthermore, the front grows so quickly that I had to trim them every week & a half to keep them from hitting my eyelashes & driving me nuts. In Oct 2016 my bangs were straight across. Now, they're easily 1" past my chin (& that includes several trims to the ends)

MoonRabbit
May 27th, 2017, 08:50 AM
I used to love having choppy straight across bangs when I heat styled my hair. Now that I'm heat free I can't have bangs anymore. The price of being a frizzy wavy.

mira-chan
May 27th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Other. I have a chin length layer(?) thing that's not too thick. Any shorter and they would precede me into the room by their whole length. For that reason I haven't tried anything else. I like them better and without at this point though.

Dark40
June 8th, 2017, 09:12 PM
Oh, I love bangs. The kind I like are straight across. They make me look much better rather than side swept.

grooooow
June 8th, 2017, 10:07 PM
I've had bangs my whole life and cut them myself straight across. Though there have been moments I've thought of growing them out, I love them and they are most likely here to stay. One thing I really like about bangs is their versatility. If I don't want them, I can just pin them back or spike them up for a fun 'do.

Robi-Bird
June 8th, 2017, 10:38 PM
I randomly decided to grow my bangs out in the last year after having them for literally my entire, and they are now about an inch away from my collar bone. I think I like this better?

yahirwaO.o
June 8th, 2017, 10:40 PM
I love a nice swoopy side fringe. I cut my hair short recently and love how they frame my face and such.

But for long hair I prefer a nice and clean center parting.

I might try side bangs with long hair in the future, could be a kinda risky look for a men and even made a thread about it in the past.

I personally dislike blunt bangs because they look scary and most of the severe. Wispy look oily and too 90's in my mind. Baby bangs could work for super edgy girls .

Grown out bangs look amazing when curled and so stylish and pretty versatile. Currently mine are like this and feel so nice with them.

restless
June 9th, 2017, 01:36 AM
I absolutely adore the look of side swept bangs, and if I didnt know any better, Id go cut mine like that in a heartbeat right now. Alas, years of experimenting have made me wise and Ive finally realised they arent for me; with a strong center part, a cowlick right next to it and crazy, wurly hair, bangs just wont work.

I still have to admit threads like these always tempt me though and I find myself thinking "what if...maybe this time itīll work...? :hmm:" :rolleyes:

Glitch
June 9th, 2017, 02:50 AM
Straight across. Gosh, they look amazing on mostly everyone, and I've gotten many compliments with them as well. Unfortunately, my frontal hair is too thin and see-through to the scalp a lot of the time, so I'm in the process of growing my bangs out :(

Carochinha
June 9th, 2017, 02:55 AM
I kind of want to get bangs again... But it's such a big commitment, and like... I dunno :'(

Here are some photos of me the last time I had bangs, timestamped by both the camera and my clothes:
http://imgur.com/KBFOfWv
http://imgur.com/xatkUWL

And here is a photo of me, circa summer of last year, without bangs:
http://imgur.com/vpOJFll

If I got bangs this time though, it would be straight across bangs, hime cut style, not the wispier style I had last time. So, people of LHC, what's your opinion? XD

ghanima
June 9th, 2017, 11:25 AM
I like equally bangs and no bangs.
As a curly, I think I look best with wispy side-swept bangs, not straightened.
I also like short bangs very much.
I also like myself without bangs, but some movement in front looks better, if cut in a way that looks natural

Kandy
June 9th, 2017, 12:04 PM
This may be off-topic, but when I went to Japan, literally every girl had bangs, whereas around here no one does... it was interesting...

Dendra
June 12th, 2017, 08:06 AM
I voted both 'grown out' and 'straight across'. If bangs are going to be there, I'd always go with straight across (on me).

I've had thick, blunt, heavy bangs for a few years but am growing out a fair bit of them because I'm sick of having hot sweaty hair on my forehead!

MidnightMoon
June 12th, 2017, 08:24 AM
I got bangs one time only, long side bangs. With fine wavy hair it was hard to make them look good, and it hid too much of my already roundish face. These days I don't like any, I think it gives a childish look, too messy for my liking. It also wouldn't go with my preferred style. I like my hair close to my scalp and contained when worn up.

languagenut
June 12th, 2017, 01:54 PM
I had bangs (straight across, if I remember right) as a kid, but at one point my mom procrastinated so long between trims that I was able to tuck them behind my ears, and then when she was trimming my hair and she was going to trim my bangs, I protested that they had just finally gotten out of my face! So she let them be as they were, and eventually they grew out to where you'd never know I'd had any. And I've never regretted it; it's so much less maintenance this way!