PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get waves?

FallingDarkness
November 29th, 2016, 06:42 PM
As my hair gets longer and heavier, my natural waves are getting less and less prominent :( :( :( Anybody have a good way to get consistently pretty waves in their hair? Thanks much. All yall rock.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 29th, 2016, 06:48 PM
Braiding, co washing, oiling, and the LOC/LCO method makes my natural waves 10x more predominant.

FallingDarkness
November 29th, 2016, 06:49 PM
What braids do you do?

littlestarface
November 29th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Dutch braids make really pretty waves imo.

This is from double dutch braids.
http://i.imgur.com/bnQNXat.jpg

Arctic
November 30th, 2016, 02:51 AM
Rag curls give very nice waves!

DarleneH
November 30th, 2016, 03:48 AM
French braids for me, because I can start the braid right at my bangs and across the top of my head. You can split your hair into two halves and do a separate braid on each side to make the waves a bit tighter than with one French braid down the back.

reilly0167
November 30th, 2016, 05:37 AM
( little starface) I love your hair!!! So pretty.

Borgessa
November 30th, 2016, 05:52 AM
I do two french dutch braids when my hair is wet and sleep on it over night, I have very thin fine hair. That brings out the most curls/waves for me. If your hair is thicker, maybe four braids or more? I've also heard of folks sleeping in those sock buns when their hair is a bit wet. Never tried that one myself.

Actually my avatar image I uploaded today, it is with the waves resulting from french dutch braids i slept in last night, as you can see they lasted all day as this was late afternoon the photo was taken.

school of fish
November 30th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Going to bat for french dutch braids here as well! Although I braid rarely for texture I have done a lot of heatless wave experimenting and dutch braiding was a consistent winner, along with french rope braiding :) In truth I've settled on a simple bendy-roller spiral set as my wave method of choice (I just dislike braiding :p ) but I can attest that dutch and rope braids do produce a nice, sleep-on-able result on me as well ;)

A single dutch braid (frenched) started as high up toward the front hairline as possible produces a lovely soft, largish wave on me, while a pair of double rope braids (also frenched) started as close to the temples as possible results in tighter, more snakey-spirally waves.

There's something about the inverted direction of the dutch braid versus the upright direction of the standard english braid that seems to give better definition to the texture.

lapushka
November 30th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Styling it with the right stylers can help.

With the curl enhancing smoothie by Shea Moisture, I can enhance from 2b/c to 2c/3a. I get more than a few ringlets this way, and most certainly now that I've gone back to hip - WOW. The thing is you need very little of that product, so a tub will last you a while. Tighter curlies go through the product like water, but for me, when I use more than a coinsize, it gets to be a sticky, knotty, mess. I needed a coinsize (about a 1 to 2 euro coin) for classic, and now that I'm hip, I use slightly less, or a smaller coinsize. This underneath my gel. Works wonders! And yep, scrunch it in!

samanthaa
November 30th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Paranda braid.

littlestarface
November 30th, 2016, 03:00 PM
If you want your natural waves to be more pronounced defined then you can try just cold water and lots of scrunching. That's what I did in my siggy and my black clothed pictures and my hair always turned out amazingly wurly with just cold water scrunching honestly.

Llama
November 30th, 2016, 10:54 PM
Another vote for twin dutch braids here! They give the prettiest waves and are comfortable to sleep in.

Dug up a picture of the waves I got from this method:

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt178/photoz_by_amy/c7420ee0-c872-45da-9955-0727806c18da_zpsry2hkedd.jpg (http://s609.photobucket.com/user/photoz_by_amy/media/c7420ee0-c872-45da-9955-0727806c18da_zpsry2hkedd.jpg.html)

DarleneH
December 1st, 2016, 06:50 PM
I almost forgot to mention buntu knots. I sometimes do a version of them where I twist my hair into just three different little knots (more like buns for me) and leave them in overnight.