PDA

View Full Version : Bun Instructions & Troubleshooting

LadyCelestina
November 29th, 2016, 04:03 AM
Hey, I hope you guys find this a good idea. Basically a thread where we can discuss bun problems & get written instruction for how to do them properly or share videos. Basically if you just cannot get a certain bun to work from tutorials, get help here ;)

I will add a link to the bun list thread once I find it.

If this is not a good idea or something like this exists, we can let it die :D If not, can I start?

Moonfall
November 29th, 2016, 04:06 AM
That seems like an excellent idea to me, I'm not sure if something like it exists though!

lapushka
November 29th, 2016, 04:25 AM
No, I think there's a number of loose threads, but nothing centralized so to speak. Great idea for a thread, IMMHO! :D :thumbsup:

Aidin
November 29th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Great idea, thanks for creating the thread!

I have a question, my hair in APL curly and HL stretched. While I could stretch it to make a LWB, I prefer to not put so much tension in my bleached tresses :wail: so I usually resort to a loose tails-up bun secured with a hair tie... I know that these are dreadful!
What can I use to secure my loose bun?

Arctic
November 29th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Maybe spin pins or 3 (or which ever number works) prong hair fork?

LadyCelestina
November 29th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Aw, I'm glad that you guys like it :thumbsup:

Aidin, you could also use a claw clip if you don't mind the look, or at least at home, and do a sort of peacock twist... I use the smaller ones as the big ones feel very heavy. There's also the beak clips (but half my hair escapes them and they pull).

Aidin
November 29th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Thanks for your suggestions!
I looked into them and I must say I'm drooling over the 3 prong hair forks... I guess I will ask one for Christmas ^_^

Strands
November 29th, 2016, 01:22 PM
OMG this came at the right time. I am literally studying buns this next month. I am a newbie, clearly, but with my frequent struggles in learning some of these this is SO HELPFUL

:inlove:

Katia_k
November 29th, 2016, 03:35 PM
I'm loving the idea of written instructions especially. I have non-functioning eyeballs and it's really hard to find text tutorials. I got some great ones from folks here a few months ago, but I feel like having a big thread with text and videos for all would be pretty great.

I'm also in a huge rut with styles right now and trapped in a cinnabun/braid vortex, so amping up my arsenal would be super fun.

LadyCelestina
November 30th, 2016, 04:30 AM
I'm loving the idea of written instructions especially. I have non-functioning eyeballs and it's really hard to find text tutorials. I got some great ones from folks here a few months ago, but I feel like having a big thread with text and videos for all would be pretty great.

I'm also in a huge rut with styles right now and trapped in a cinnabun/braid vortex, so amping up my arsenal would be super fun.

I remember the thread you made. I really hope you find this helpful then!

LadyCelestina
November 30th, 2016, 04:32 AM
I would like to ask about the LWB. I can make it, but it never holds and the loops fall apart after a short while. Is my hair too short or is it supposed to be secured with extra pins?

Silverbleed
November 30th, 2016, 07:40 AM
I would like to ask about the LWB. I can make it, but it never holds and the loops fall apart after a short while. Is my hair too short or is it supposed to be secured with extra pins?

I can do it and I'm not at BSL yet. What I've found out is it doesn't hold for me when I make it the usual way. I only use one finger. And I change the loop. Instead of keeping it at the same direction, I switch it.
Give me a bit I'll record what I mean. I'm not sure how to explain it lol.

I also realized I do it different in general, with the hands and stuff :'D

hannabiss
November 30th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Yay I need a bun I can make. I'm at BsL but my hair will not hold a bun. I will say I do have a v shaped hemline and my hair is like silk. Which yes it feels nice but it has no grip. Strangely if I put my hair up when wet I have much better luck. My hair has more grip then. So I would like to learn buns for BsL that don't need a hair tie or a bun form.

Katia_k
November 30th, 2016, 08:13 AM
I can do it and I'm not at BSL yet. What I've found out is it doesn't hold for me when I make it the usual way. I only use one finger.....

Seconding the one finger thing, that's the only way I can get it to work for me. I can sometimes get two to work now, but it's only reliable with a smaller loop for my bsl hair. Granted, my hair is the opposite of slippy, so this might not be that helpful.

Katia_k
November 30th, 2016, 08:15 AM
I remember the thread you made. I really hope you find this helpful then!

There was some awesome stuff in there--this forum is so crazy helpful. If I can find it back (somebody AKA me should have actually bookmarked it if she was thinking ahead...), I'll transfer some of the tutorials folks posted over here, so we have a comprehensive "instructions" thread.

Cg
November 30th, 2016, 11:10 AM

And try using a different holding tool. I need a multiprong fork for Lazy Wraps.

Hay_jules
November 30th, 2016, 11:44 AM
I can't wait until my SL hair is long enough to put in a bun. For now all I can do is the peacock twist thing. For now I'll do some advanced studying.

Nnaime
November 30th, 2016, 02:43 PM
My hair is at bsl (however I have a short torso/from the crown I measure at 25") and I cannot get my hair in a decent bun for the life of me. I also have hands that cannot function behind my head for some reason. Notnaure if my length or lack of braid/styling fingers is causing me such distress

cailinbee
November 30th, 2016, 03:19 PM
I'll echo a few other people -- any tips for people with silky, fine hair (without necessarily having to resort to product) would be great! I have enough hair to do the simplified versions of a couple of buns meant for much longer hair, but my hair absolutely does not want to stay. I get lumps and droopiness which just ends up looking a mess.

Silverbleed
December 1st, 2016, 03:04 PM
This is how I do my LWB. I mirrored it as well, because I'm a lefty.

I figured I'm doing it different, some go upwards but I like to switch to the other side, downwards. And if I use my left hand, I place the stick on the top right side.
Somehow if I do it the opposite direction, it doesn't stay. While this way it will stay during a workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xFAVi5voP8

LadyCelestina
December 3rd, 2016, 01:19 AM
Yay guys! :flower: I did it and it's a dream! It's rock solid and doesn't pull! Thank you guys for tips and for the video, Silverbleed! What I was doing wrong is that I sort of didn't make the 2nd loop close enough to the 1st & didn't 'spread' the loops once securing it with a stick.

Unfortunately it doesn't look very pretty on me :D It's like a sort of a knobby blob of frizz :D I need a bit more practice to make it look nice.

Laurenji
December 6th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Just chiming in here for fine, straight-haired people. I could not do any sort of bun without a ponytail holder until at least BSL, at which point I could literally only do a cinnabun held by Amish pins or maybe a 4-pronged hair fork once I got closer to waist. I could not understand why people loved the lazy wrap bun and the Gibralter bun and all those other buns, because I could NOT get them to stay, definitely not with only one hair stick.

Well, once I hit hip, suddenly everything started magically working! It was amazing! Now all I live in are LWBs and Gibralter buns!

So it can really depend on your hair type. I will definitely recommend trying the Disc bun - it held well in my hair much sooner than many other buns did.

Robot Ninja
December 6th, 2016, 06:27 PM
For the people who don't have enough length: have you tried doing sectioned versions of buns? Split your hair in half, put one half into a LWB or your bun of choice, then wrap the other half around the base of the bun and pin. This might give you more options.

Wildcat Diva
December 6th, 2016, 06:46 PM

It's almost like we need a spreadsheet...

missrandie
December 6th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Thanks to this thread, I just "unlocked" another level of bunning. Yay for the sectioned LWB! I have too non-compacting of hair to pull off most stuff until I gain way more length, but I can do a cinnabun with my 3p OTHM, and I'm sitting here with my sectioned LWB and a simple homemade stick.

Borgessa
December 7th, 2016, 12:22 AM
I have a question about buns, hoping this is the right thread to ask. I understand buns are a protective style but I have a lot of broken hairs around my parameter from wearing a ponytail in the same place with a hair tie. I didn't know this was causing damage to my hair, until i looked up what was the cause of all my breakage.. ARGH.. anyway out went the hair ties and now i'm trying to do buns, with sticks and hopefully a flexi-8 when i get the right size for a bun. I have thin hair, my question is, if i wear the same bun every day, like i did with my ponytail, will i get the same damage, breakage around the parameter of my hair line. I have been babying it along as best i can but i do not want to cause similar damage by doing the same thing.

Llama
December 7th, 2016, 01:25 AM
I have a question about buns, hoping this is the right thread to ask. I understand buns are a protective style but I have a lot of broken hairs around my parameter from wearing a ponytail in the same place with a hair tie. I didn't know this was causing damage to my hair, until i looked up what was the cause of all my breakage.. ARGH.. anyway out went the hair ties and now i'm trying to do buns, with sticks and hopefully a flexi-8 when i get the right size for a bun. I have thin hair, my question is, if i wear the same bun every day, like i did with my ponytail, will i get the same damage, breakage around the parameter of my hair line. I have been babying it along as best i can but i do not want to cause similar damage by doing the same thing.

I used to get the ponytail breakage you refer to. I had a whole layer of broken hairs right where my hair tie would be (that was like 10 years ago).
I often go long periods of time doing mostly one hair style (lately have been doing the cinnabun) and have not noticed any breakage from "hair friendly" things like hair sticks, forks, claw clips, etc. They are SO much more gentle on the hair than hair ties and I don't think you need to worry about breakage with them, even wearing the same style all the time. Just make sure the style you choose isn't too tight or uncomfortable, of course.

Borgessa
December 7th, 2016, 02:28 AM
I used to get the ponytail breakage you refer to. I had a whole layer of broken hairs right where my hair tie would be (that was like 10 years ago).
I often go long periods of time doing mostly one hair style (lately have been doing the cinnabun) and have not noticed any breakage from "hair friendly" things like hair sticks, forks, claw clips, etc. They are SO much more gentle on the hair than hair ties and I don't think you need to worry about breakage with them, even wearing the same style all the time. Just make sure the style you choose isn't too tight or uncomfortable, of course.

That's good to know, ty Llama, i have serious hair envy looking at your gorgeous locks and that flexi :)

JustPam
December 7th, 2016, 04:51 AM
Subbing, I need some bun-spiration, trying to break out of the knot bun rut. Managed to get a nautilus to stay up today, sure I have a hairtie at the base, a spin pin and 2 claw clips, but hey, its actually staying! I'll stick to that for this week. Any suggestions for next week's bun?? No twisty-coily ones, my hair is so compact when twisted I can't get anything through it, and if I try to loosen the twist it goes saggy. Wraps and knots are all good though, usually...

Llama
December 7th, 2016, 07:57 PM
That's good to know, ty Llama, i have serious hair envy looking at your gorgeous locks and that flexi :)

Thank you! :flower: Flexis are awesome :)

Aidin
February 9th, 2017, 11:52 AM
I was wondering if any of you bun your hair while wet and if you have ever noticed any negative effects from this, as I was planning to start doing that myself as a way to dry my extremely curly hair as stretched and tangle-free as possible?

If so, how long does it take for your hair to dry while bunned?

bparnell75
February 9th, 2017, 12:25 PM
At least 18 hours if I keep it in the bun, and My hair is thin. When possible I let it partially dry before bunning.
I do not think it would harm the hair unless you try to force a toy in in.
Spring loaded clips are a good hold up or a plastic hair stick. Or possibly a cheap chopstick.
Do not use your wood forks in wet hair.

Aidin
February 9th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Thanks bparnell75!
As you know I don't have any hair toys yet... Do you think a metal-free hair tie would be ok?

likelikepenny
February 9th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Thanks bparnell75!
As you know I don't have any hair toys yet... Do you think a metal-free hair tie would be ok?

I suggest scrunchies. I wash my hair and then do a loose flat twist. I let it dry until it's on the dryer end of damp and then put it up. It's usually dry by the next morning.

Aidin
February 10th, 2017, 12:12 PM
Thanks likelikepenny!

Have you seen any damage in your hair due to wet bunning?

likelikepenny
February 10th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Thanks likelikepenny!

Have you seen any damage in your hair due to wet bunning?

Lately no, I did when I first started though. That was due to the hair ties I was using, before switching to scrunchies. Also, I was bunning soaking wet. Now I let it dry a little in a t-shirt until damp and then bun.

Aidin
February 10th, 2017, 03:49 PM
Thanks so much likelikepenny!
I will try it this weekend :)

likelikepenny
February 10th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Thanks so much likelikepenny!
I will try it this weekend :)

Hope you'll report back on how it works for you :)

Kae612
February 12th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Ohh, this is a good thread. I'm not a big bunner, for most of my life I lived in a side English braid and I find most buns extremely heavy and uncomfortable to wear for more than a couple hours.

I can do braided nautilus buns as a half-up, and that seems to work because I can wrap the tail around the base a couple times, but while at waist length my hair can form the LWB/nautilus it just falls down because the tail escapes. The same is true with cinnabuns, if I use all my hair the tail escapes and pulls everything down with it, unless I use a ton of heavy/uncomfortable pins. If it's a "bee butt" then I can hold it fairly well with 4 amish pins, but I'm not a fan of how it looks/feels on me.

Also every time I use a stick or a fork I can hear hair snapping when I stick it through, especially the LWB/nautilus form. But if I make them any looser there is no way it stays! I'm very new to buns so I'm sure I'm doing 15 million things wrong, but I've tried to follow videos and I think I'm doing it right.

Aidin
February 13th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Hope you'll report back on how it works for you :)

So I've tried somewhat-wet bunning... I will explain:
I've washed my hair and dried it with my microfiber towel. Then proceeded to apply my leave-in (SM JBCO) as if I was doing a wash & go, however after applying the leave-in my hair felt very wet (like it would never dry in a bun), so I did a side english braid and slept with it. The next day in the morning the braid was 90% dry and I brushed and bunned my hair (so much hair came out :X ) And it has been bunned since. The thing is, I think the amount of leave-in I applied is not appropriate for bunning, as my hair feel residue-y! I guess next time I'll try wet bunning I will only apply an oil.

likelikepenny
February 13th, 2017, 11:54 AM
So I've tried somewhat-wet bunning... I will explain:
I've washed my hair and dried it with my microfiber towel. Then proceeded to apply my leave-in (SM JBCO) as if I was doing a wash & go, however after applying the leave-in my hair felt very wet (like it would never dry in a bun), so I did a side english braid and slept with it. The next day in the morning the braid was 90% dry and I brushed and bunned my hair (so much hair came out :X ) And it has been bunned since. The thing is, I think the amount of leave-in I applied is not appropriate for bunning, as my hair feel residue-y! I guess next time I'll try wet bunning I will only apply an oil.

I'm glad it's working for you :)

Dante
February 14th, 2017, 03:14 AM
I'd love some inspiration too! I wear either a LWB or a nautilus bun almost every day; they are the only buns I know that I can do with my BSL hair. Are there any other buns that people have found work at this length? I don't want to do half ups as it's too hot to have my hair down where I am.

bparnell75
February 14th, 2017, 07:53 AM
Great idea, thanks for creating the thread!

I have a question, my hair in APL curly and HL stretched. While I could stretch it to make a LWB, I prefer to not put so much tension in my bleached tresses :wail: so I usually resort to a loose tails-up bun secured with a hair tie... I know that these are dreadful!
What can I use to secure my loose bun?

A three or four prong fork is great for holding looser hair. French rolls are also a good up do for shorter hair. The fork can go into the top of the roll and then down straight into the scalp, if you have curly ends they can hang out over the French twist if you like or be tucked back in. This video should help. Her hair is a little shorter and she uses TWO PRONG FORK, BUT YOU WILL GET THE IDEA. Hope this helps get you away from the hair ties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaV2ihKkBls

bparnell75
February 14th, 2017, 08:00 AM
And try using a different holding tool. I need a multi pronged fork for Lazy Wraps.

Again Multiple prong forks are the amazing tool that does work. I have also found on somewhat shorter hair the pencil bun works better for a stick.

Check out this method. I do craft fairs and put up peoples hair all day long. This is the bun I use most often, as people tend to start with sticks and graduate to forks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1aN6_bdhio&list=PLghz7zScUfJtgaqqzcbcL8vnWjNAmoCeZ&index=99

bparnell75
February 14th, 2017, 08:06 AM
I'd love some inspiration too! I wear either a LWB or a nautilus bun almost every day; they are the only buns I know that I can do with my BSL hair. Are there any other buns that people have found work at this length? I don't want to do half ups as it's too hot to have my hair down where I am.

Again the French roll or French Pleat is great for shorter hair. my sis has hair just past shoulder and she does this quite well and wears all the hair toys I put into her possession: sticks, and forks. I recently made her a Mermaid tail fork to wear in a French roll.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/592/31889768574_3199917608_c.jpg

mizukitty
February 14th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Tips for getting really slippy hair to stay? My forks just get spit out every single time. I'm using claw clips, and they're not as pretty as my forks!

Dante
February 14th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Again the French roll or French Pleat is great for shorter hair. my sis has hair just past shoulder and she does this quite well and wears all the hair toys I put into her possession: sticks, and forks. I recently made her a Mermaid tail fork to wear in a French roll.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/592/31889768574_3199917608_c.jpg

Thanks, I'll give it a go. And such a beautiful fork!

Aidin
February 14th, 2017, 02:20 PM
A three or four prong fork is great for holding looser hair. French rolls are also a good up do for shorter hair. The fork can go into the top of the roll and then down straight into the scalp, if you have curly ends they can hang out over the French twist if you like or be tucked back in. This video should help. Her hair is a little shorter and she uses TWO PRONG FORK, BUT YOU WILL GET THE IDEA. Hope this helps get you away from the hair ties.

Thanks so much bparnell75!
I really need a fork!

likelikepenny
February 14th, 2017, 04:02 PM

This really helped me as well. I have the same problem as Aidin (Waist stretched, Shoulder curly). I'll definitely be trying this soon :)

draysmir
February 15th, 2017, 09:37 PM
Where can you buy hair sticks and forks? I haven't seen them in any stores before I don't believe

Groovy Granny
February 15th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Where can you buy hair sticks and forks? I haven't seen them in any stores before I don't believe

Most can be found on https://www.etsy.com/
Just google 'hair fork' etc on ETSY and you will get a ton of shops/options.

Browse Conventional Products & Hair Accessories (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46) for the most popular shops.
A few shops are on the web and independent of Etsy.

Watch out.....it can be addicting :eyebrows:

bparnell75
February 16th, 2017, 10:01 AM
You can not buy them in ay store I know of. Amazon, Ebay, or etsy is where most of us get ours if we do not make them ourselves.
Occasionally you can find them at craft fairs. They are a speciality item.

draysmir
February 17th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Thank you both, I'll be sure to check those out! :)

Jettabar99
February 17th, 2017, 08:11 AM
I love the stuff from this etsy store - she will custom make them
https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/grahtoestudio?ref=listing-shop2-all-items-count#items

draysmir
February 17th, 2017, 05:25 PM
I love the stuff from this etsy store - she will custom make them
https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/grahtoestudio?ref=listing-shop2-all-items-count#items

Wow, they are really beautiful! I love the ones with the blue colours :D I think I might find a cheap simple one to begin with though, so I can figure out what style and size I would want before buying one I really like

draysmir
March 29th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Hi guys! So I just got my first hair fork and I have a couple questions since attempting to do some new bun styles, I hope it's ok if I ask them here. So everytime I put in my hair fork, it really tightens up my bun to where it hurts and I have to really try to force it looser until it's more comfortable. What am I doing wrong for it to get so tight? Also, how much of the useable fork part is ok to show in my buns? I don't think my fork is very long but I feel like it shows more than it should when I try to do the LWB.

meteor
July 3rd, 2017, 10:21 PM
^ That sounds like the bun needs to be done more loosely for that particular fork. Bulkier forks (with multiple and/or thicker prongs) tend to require looser bunning compared to, say, a very thin stick or a chopstick, for example.

I hope it's OK to ask this question on this thread: I've been wondering about this updo (crown princess of Sweden at Nobel Prize ceremony 2012 (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/08/15/2f/08152fee818c22d93959258bb8f161b7--royal-tiaras-royal-jewels.jpg) - close-up shot (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Z2u3IVTeGu8/Vm2jJ2IWOgI/AAAAAAAA5MU/x6djwQOn-xo/s600/Crown-Princess-Victoria-Nobel-Prize-Hairstyle-2012.jpg)) - how exactly is this bun achieved? I'm not too clear about where those braids begin and how they should be pinned properly to achieve this look... I really like it, and I think, though a bit time-consuming, it shouldn't really be too difficult to do, since it's based on English braids rather than more complex braiding. Any ideas would be really appreciated! :D

draysmir
July 4th, 2017, 08:10 AM
^ That sounds like the bun needs to be done more loosely for that particular fork. Bulkier forks (with multiple and/or thicker prongs) tend to require looser bunning compared to, say, a very thin stick or a chopstick, for example.

I hope it's OK to ask this question on this thread: I've been wondering about this updo (crown princess of Sweden at Nobel Prize ceremony 2012 (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/08/15/2f/08152fee818c22d93959258bb8f161b7--royal-tiaras-royal-jewels.jpg) - close-up shot (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Z2u3IVTeGu8/Vm2jJ2IWOgI/AAAAAAAA5MU/x6djwQOn-xo/s600/Crown-Princess-Victoria-Nobel-Prize-Hairstyle-2012.jpg)) - how exactly is this bun achieved? I'm not too clear about where those braids begin and how they should be pinned properly to achieve this look... I really like it, and I think, though a bit time-consuming, it shouldn't really be too difficult to do, since it's based on English braids rather than more complex braiding. Any ideas would be really appreciated! :D

Thank you for the response, that makes sense :) I'm not sure how to help you with the style you want to do unfortunately, it is pretty though! Hopefully someone else knows how to do it. :)

Larki
July 5th, 2017, 08:18 AM

Oh wow, that is gorgeous!

SparrowWings
July 5th, 2017, 04:07 PM
Hi guys! So I just got my first hair fork and I have a couple questions since attempting to do some new bun styles, I hope it's ok if I ask them here. So everytime I put in my hair fork, it really tightens up my bun to where it hurts and I have to really try to force it looser until it's more comfortable. What am I doing wrong for it to get so tight? Also, how much of the useable fork part is ok to show in my buns? I don't think my fork is very long but I feel like it shows more than it should when I try to do the LWB.
I had the same problem as you when I first tried a fork. I'm used to my hair falling out unless everything's snug, so it took getting used to being "sloppy" and loose! I actually gave up and thought forks wouldn't work for me, for a while. What ended up helping was transitioning from super-tight thin-stick buns, to slightly-less-tight fat-stick buns -- because that was less dramatic loosening, and the same motions I was used to, and held just as well. From there, the forks actually worked pretty well, too, because they and the fat sticks seem to use about the same space. I also very quickly discovered that fat-tined or close-tined forks flat out will not work, so the frequent beginner Jeterforks were no help. I'm not sure what your hair toy history is, or what type of fork you have, but maybe some of those steps/ideas will help!

A question of my own:

When you do a braided LWB, how do you hide/blend the massive jutting lump that is the base of the braid? I try to keep the wrapping a little looser than I did unbraided, and it seems to help a tiny amount, but it still sticks out like a sore thumb and looks weird, compared to the nice, even wrapping for the whole rest of the circle.

meteor
July 5th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Thank you, draysmir and Larki! :D Yes, I find that updo on crown princess really beautiful, but I think it might be hard to replicate perfectly... Here's what I'm seeing in that close-up photo (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Z2u3IVTeGu8/Vm2jJ2IWOgI/AAAAAAAA5MU/x6djwQOn-xo/s600/Crown-Princess-Victoria-Nobel-Prize-Hairstyle-2012.jpg):
- 1 base bun (could be like a "sock bun" type)
- 2 braded loops pinned (just braids hanging down from right to left and left to right, almost overlapping)
- 1 bigger braid at the top (kind of like a section from the tiara)
- 1 bigger braid going around the bun, like a frame around the bun.
I just need to understand how that sectioning for the individual braids is done (starting points, basically), the rest should be self-explanatory pinning of English braids... :hmm:

A question of my own:

When you do a braided LWB, how do you hide/blend the massive jutting lump that is the base of the braid? I try to keep the wrapping a little looser than I did unbraided, and it seems to help a tiny amount, but it still sticks out like a sore thumb and looks weird, compared to the nice, even wrapping for the whole rest of the circle.

Do you start with a ponytail by any chance? I think that will create a bigger bulb at the base, as it sticks out more in a 3D kind of fashion.
Also, maybe it's just a question of proportion? For example, if the beginning is much fatter than the end due to tapering or layering or something, maybe "pancaking" the bottom part of the braid can make it more even-looking? :hmm:
Also, have you tried starting your braid higher or maybe even doing a French/Dutch braid as the base for the bun? I find when I tilt my head way back and continue looking up while braiding the first intersections my braid starts higher and the beginning "bulb" can be sort of hidden by the bun a bit, if that makes any sense... Also, it turns the first intersections into the grippy base, so the bun holds better.

But to be perfectly honest, I'm not too sure I'm even picturing the situation well without photos, because I don't know what look you are going for vs. what you currently have. Oh, and FWIW I think my braided buns are also very "lumpy", but I think I've just resigned myself to it, and most people don't even know that my bun is braided, it just looks like a bunch of complex intersections when it's all bunned together, rather than a clear-cut braid.
But I think if you section your hair or do more than 1 braid, you can make the beginning parts look less lumpy and more like actual braids. I believe it might be just caused by thickness. :)

lunasea
July 5th, 2017, 06:22 PM
That looks to me like there's a bunned braid above the tiara (like from a half up). Under the tiara it's almost like the hair is in some kind of snood (that's got that giant bling thingy pinned at the top of it) with a braid looped from each side over the outside of the snood. I'd say there was a section of hair left out of each end of the snood and then the ends of the opposite braid are looped up over the starting points of each braid before going into the snood.

Just off the top of my head. Sorry, horrible about explaining things.

meteor
July 5th, 2017, 06:26 PM
^ Ooh, I think you are right, lunasea! :) That makes sense and those are good ideas... I do think the base bun might be held by a snood.... :hmm:

lunasea
July 5th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I'd have to have at least five times the amount of hair I have to do that. I couldn't even pull off the braided bun that's over the tiara.

SparrowWings
July 5th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Do you start with a ponytail by any chance? I think that will create a bigger bulb at the base, as it sticks out more in a 3D kind of fashion.
Also, maybe it's just a question of proportion? For example, if the beginning is much fatter than the end due to tapering or layering or something, maybe "pancaking" the bottom part of the braid can make it more even-looking? :hmm:
Also, have you tried starting your braid higher or maybe even doing a French/Dutch braid as the base for the bun? I find when I tilt my head way back and continue looking up while braiding the first intersections my braid starts higher and the beginning "bulb" can be sort of hidden by the bun a bit, if that makes any sense... Also, it turns the first intersections into the grippy base, so the bun holds better.

But to be perfectly honest, I'm not too sure I'm even picturing the situation well without photos, because I don't know what look you are going for vs. what you currently have. Oh, and FWIW I think my braided buns are also very "lumpy", but I think I've just resigned myself to it, and most people don't even know that my bun is braided, it just looks like a bunch of complex intersections when it's all bunned together, rather than a clear-cut braid.
But I think if you section your hair or do more than 1 braid, you can make the beginning parts look less lumpy and more like actual braids. I believe it might be just caused by thickness. :)
Working through the bolded bits...
1. Nope, no ponytail.
2. There is some tapering, but it's not particularly extreme until the ends, so unlikely that's the issue.
3. Tilting back is actually what I already do; I can't stand low braids/buns. If starting lower would make that bump even more obvious, yikes!
4. Yes, it definitely makes a solid base; I love that part!

I've pretty much resigned myself to it as well, though it'd still be nice to know if there's a way to avoid/mask it. It's definitely not due to the bun looking overall lumpy, though, as the fact it's braided is still highly visible. Hmm. Maybe I can just flip the braid the other way when I'm wrapping... Not sure if I've tried that, since it flows so well this way! I'll try tomorrow and report back.

meteor
July 6th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Working through the bolded bits...
1. Nope, no ponytail.
2. There is some tapering, but it's not particularly extreme until the ends, so unlikely that's the issue.
3. Tilting back is actually what I already do; I can't stand low braids/buns. If starting lower would make that bump even more obvious, yikes!
4. Yes, it definitely makes a solid base; I love that part!

I've pretty much resigned myself to it as well, though it'd still be nice to know if there's a way to avoid/mask it. It's definitely not due to the bun looking overall lumpy, though, as the fact it's braided is still highly visible. Hmm. Maybe I can just flip the braid the other way when I'm wrapping... Not sure if I've tried that, since it flows so well this way! I'll try tomorrow and report back.

Just to clarify the problem more (because I'm not sure I'm picturing it right :oops:), do you mean even something like this (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/td2Jdgbxfjs/maxresdefault.jpg) or this (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/42/02/7e/42027ebe18c4cbfcadc8ff35ad868d3d.jpg) in these braided buns as a lump in the middle? Because if that is a problem, there really isn't much that can help :flower:, it's simply how the braided bun works, even if the thickness isn't through the roof, it's always going to be bigger in the middle like that. However, you can work around that issue by doing a triple braided bun (e.g. like this (photo) (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8y8or_RC6wM/maxresdefault.jpg), tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y8or_RC6wM), for example, even though it's a different look. Or doing braided Chinese bun or simplified Ellingwoman or something with multiple braids, even though they will look quite a lot different.

(For example, my braid does look like a braid when it's down, but when I bun it, it just looks like a bunch of lumps and complex intersections, not like a clear braid, but I can make it all look more like it's braided by splitting hair into sections and then braiding them and bunning them.)

Also, I think playing a bit with looseness/tightness of the braid and bun and simply doing a small twist at the beginning might help mask the lump at the top a little bit: what I mean is, once you've created the braid, twist it once at the top, and then start coiling it around to bun it. It might help, though again, it all kind of depends on compatibility of hair during twisting, how loosely/tightly you braided it at the top, and your aesthetic preferences for the bun.

Arctic
July 6th, 2017, 04:05 PM
It certainly is a stunning style (having some real bling doesn't make it worse either :D), I even googled a bit to see it from different angles. I also googled to see Victoria's real hair length, and seeing it's not very long, I belive there are quite a bit of extra (braided) hair in there which would explain the difficulty of telling where it's parted/sectioned.

meteor
July 6th, 2017, 04:10 PM
^ Oh, most definitely, Arctic. :agree: A lot of those gorgeous styles are like that... but you know, the LHC helps recreate them anyway! ;) :cheer:

SparrowWings
July 9th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Just to clarify the problem more (because I'm not sure I'm picturing it right :oops:), do you mean even something like this (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/td2Jdgbxfjs/maxresdefault.jpg) or this (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/42/02/7e/42027ebe18c4cbfcadc8ff35ad868d3d.jpg) in these braided buns as a lump in the middle?
I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing in the first one, but the second looks closer to what I've come up with now, which is so much better than it had been. I'm not sure I can explain it properly, but the "flip the braid the other way" thing worked, at least! It's a bit harder to handle, but not horribly. I tried drawing a picture to show the difference; it just looks like a blob.

What I was doing:
Start with the braid hanging down normally. Flip it up over finger(s) to start the wrapping, so it's actually the underside of the braid that's most visible. While wrapping, it winds up standing on edge more, which is why the fact it's a braid stays so visible. Once wrapped, I pulled the first loop a little looser so it started to the side/bottom diagonal instead of the top/diagonal of the original start-wrapping flip.

What I'm doing now:
Start with the braid hanging down normally. Keep the underside held flat against my scalp and curve the braid to the side to start wrapping it. I have to kink my fingers to hold the base in place, this way. The wrapping still causes the braid to stand on edge some by the end, but on the opposite edge and not quite as dramatically, and the lack of flip seems to prevent the major base lump from existing. It also keeps what lump there is going to the bottom, centered, rather than sticking lopsidedly out the one side.

Maybe that makes any sense?

meteor
July 9th, 2017, 12:08 PM
^ Ah, I think I get it now, thanks so much, SparrowWings! :flowers: So happy to hear that you got the "blob" under control! :thumbsup: :toast:

I'm realizing now, after reading your description that I must be flipping the braid upward, too, since that motion helps keep hair tightly off of neck/nape more and since I do those braided LWBs and braided L-Infinities and Spidermom's buns as high up as possible... :hmm: Also, one thing the braided L-Infinity does is - it brings the bottom inches of the braid into action *on top* of the base (the 8-shaped wrapping occurs over the base), so it helps conceal/cover the base of the braid quite a bit. :)

bparnell75
July 9th, 2017, 03:44 PM
That is a great tutorial for shorter or thinner haired. I am tbl and I make some buns pretty much like that.

SparrowWings
July 14th, 2017, 06:53 AM
^ Ah, I think I get it now, thanks so much, SparrowWings! :flowers: So happy to hear that you got the "blob" under control! :thumbsup: :toast:

I'm realizing now, after reading your description that I must be flipping the braid upward, too, since that motion helps keep hair tightly off of neck/nape more and since I do those braided LWBs and braided L-Infinities and Spidermom's buns as high up as possible... :hmm: Also, one thing the braided L-Infinity does is - it brings the bottom inches of the braid into action *on top* of the base (the 8-shaped wrapping occurs over the base), so it helps conceal/cover the base of the braid quite a bit. :)
Some things I'm noticing with this alternate wrapping approach, after a few more days fooling with it:
It actually seems to keep the nape just as tight either way, against all logical expectations.
It is so much harder to center when starting down instead of up, because without the flip, the base is much less mobile.
Without care when inserting the stick/fork, it's much easier to wind up having it pull and/or push quite uncomfortably, again because of the lack of base mobility. With it that much flatter against the head, there's less leeway for the toy to both adjust itself within the hair, and not press too hard against the scalp.

The jury's still out on this one. I do think it looks a lot better, but we'll see what I decide after playing with it some more. I should get back into trying some of the other buns again, too. There was no way my hair would let me securely fasten some of them unbraided, and it's only just starting to get long enough to try again braided. I braid super-tightly and it takes off some serious length. I can't help it; it's the only way my hands work!

meteor
July 14th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Some things I'm noticing with this alternate wrapping approach, after a few more days fooling with it:
It actually seems to keep the nape just as tight either way, against all logical expectations.
It is so much harder to center when starting down instead of up, because without the flip, the base is much less mobile.
Without care when inserting the stick/fork, it's much easier to wind up having it pull and/or push quite uncomfortably, again because of the lack of base mobility. With it that much flatter against the head, there's less leeway for the toy to both adjust itself within the hair, and not press too hard against the scalp.

^ So much this! :agree: There is no way I'd easily center some styles without flipping the braid up tightly - it's almost the kinds of bumps/intersections that I imagine folks who French/Dutch-braid can get. And you can get that grip-at-the-base effect by doing an Ellingwoman base or something like a Luana braid, but they take longer/more effort than just flipping that English braid up. ;)

The jury's still out on this one. I do think it looks a lot better, but we'll see what I decide after playing with it some more. I should get back into trying some of the other buns again, too. There was no way my hair would let me securely fasten some of them unbraided, and it's only just starting to get long enough to try again braided. I braid super-tightly and it takes off some serious length. I can't help it; it's the only way my hands work!
Oh yeah! :) I think braiding really reigns in hair so well for being able to bun it later. As it gets longer, it does often get easier without so much braiding, too, but it's still a much better hold with a braid or braids. Which is probably why, whenever a new thread pops up about updos for workouts/sports, braids (as a base for up-styles) reign supreme as the top recommendation, seemingly for practically all lengths. Even if more length is needed for 1 braid, there is always a way of doing multiple braids and then braiding them together ("warrior" braid I think it's sometimes called?), and on-scalp braiding and accent braids help take away some of the bulk.

BuddhaBelle
January 21st, 2021, 10:07 AM
Should I be able to do the Nautilus at BSL? I'm trying to follow this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohzSsbQhJK8&list=PLu1liGmCt7XNoubiXxW9FDZnwCY4rKN6t&ab_channel=rhapsodyblue100) tutorial but I can't get it to work!!!

Feral_
January 21st, 2021, 10:20 AM
Should I be able to do the Nautilus at BSL? I'm trying to follow this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohzSsbQhJK8&list=PLu1liGmCt7XNoubiXxW9FDZnwCY4rKN6t&ab_channel=rhapsodyblue100) tutorial but I can't get it to work!!!

There’s a few nautilus variations. At BSL I could do it if I twisted it slightly to start then wrapped the hair around my first three fingers. I found a double prong hair pin worked better than a stick to hold it, as for me it caught more hair. I used a 5” copper U shaped hair pin.

Finda
January 21st, 2021, 01:00 PM

Can you describe what your problem is? Is it a cercertain step in the video or do you not have enough hair left to finish the bun?

BuddhaBelle
January 22nd, 2021, 03:15 AM
There’s a few nautilus variations. At BSL I could do it if I twisted it slightly to start then wrapped the hair around my first three fingers. I found a double prong hair pin worked better than a stick to hold it, as for me it caught more hair. I used a 5” copper U shaped hair pin.

Ooo I will try this thank you :D

Can you describe what your problem is? Is it a cercertain step in the video or do you not have enough hair left to finish the bun?
I think I don't have enough hair in the end to pull through... Just end up with a weird twist haha

Finda
January 22nd, 2021, 10:22 AM

I think I don't have enough hair in the end to pull through... Just end up with a weird twist haha

It's sometimes hard to tell from pictures, but in case you have more hair than the person in the video you'll also need more length to do the bun. I usually do the torrin paige version (with the entire hand) and I have just enough hair to do it with hip/bcl length.

SelenVinland
January 22nd, 2021, 10:55 AM

In the video she doesn’t pull the ends through, just holds them with her fingers while finishing the bun. Would that work?

thatsideoflife
January 2nd, 2022, 11:19 AM
Wanting to bump this thread, because I'm a little nervous to start doing buns! I have scrunchies, a claw clip, and a couple two-pronged hair forks. The problem is, when I secure the bun with a scrunchie, it's too tight on the nape hairs (my most fragile hair). I can only do so much with a claw clip... And the two pronged forks don't stay.

So far, I have been avoiding buns altogether! I guess my question is where to start?
Any advice, or direction to another thread would be appreciated :o

xanthochromia
January 2nd, 2022, 12:08 PM
Wanting to bump this thread, because I'm a little nervous to start doing buns! I have scrunchies, a claw clip, and a couple two-pronged hair forks. The problem is, when I secure the bun with a scrunchie, it's too tight on the nape hairs (my most fragile hair). I can only do so much with a claw clip... And the two pronged forks don't stay.

So far, I have been avoiding buns altogether! I guess my question is where to start?
Any advice, or direction to another thread would be appreciated :o

What a great thread to bump!

Depending on what kind of ii you are, you might not have enough length yet to hold a bun with a fork at APL. Have you tried the disc bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ)? I did it for the first time the other day and I clearly could have managed it with less length than I have currently (20.5"/52cm with a ponytail circumference just over 2"/5cm). You could also try half-ups with buns to get the mechanics down with a bit less hair. Non-bun alternatives include securing a peacock twist or French twist with a fork, or doing this French twist-ish style (https://youtu.be/O3mgVT3q8Rg?t=193) with a stick.

thatsideoflife
January 2nd, 2022, 11:24 PM
What a great thread to bump!

Depending on what kind of ii you are, you might not have enough length yet to hold a bun with a fork at APL. Have you tried the disc bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ)? I did it for the first time the other day and I clearly could have managed it with less length than I have currently (20.5"/52cm with a ponytail circumference just over 2"/5cm). You could also try half-ups with buns to get the mechanics down with a bit less hair. Non-bun alternatives include securing a peacock twist or French twist with a fork, or doing this French twist-ish style (https://youtu.be/O3mgVT3q8Rg?t=193) with a stick.

Wow, great links! I look forward to trying them. Thanks!