PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for forks and combs?

Spinder
November 26th, 2016, 10:38 PM
I'm a total newbie at this one. Gurus, do you have any recommendations for hairstyles that make good use of hair forks and decorative combs?

ETA: Specifically, styles that may or may not work for finer and thinner hair?

Simsy
November 26th, 2016, 11:31 PM
Thick hair speaking here but from what I understand, a fork or comb will hold nearly any bun that you loop into position. Should also hold a cinnibun bun fairly well, depending on how you put it.

Good luck

nekosan
November 26th, 2016, 11:31 PM
How long is your hair?

I have a number of buns that work well with hair forks, but most are reconstructions from half-remembered tutorials - that is, things that I don't know the "official" names for, so I'm not much help. =/ I do have a album with examples, for what it's worth. I've found that a lot of things that work well a stick also work well (wrapped a bit looser) with a fork.

I've not had much luck with decorative combs - haven't figured out how to get them to stay in my thinnish scalp hair.

Spinder
November 27th, 2016, 01:35 AM
Hmm, I am at a little bit more than waist length, at the moment.

Spinder
December 15th, 2016, 01:16 AM
Any ideas from you gurus with a similar hair type? :blossom:

Borgessa
December 15th, 2016, 02:54 AM
I have very fine slippy hair, and don't have any trouble with a Cinnabun or the i'm not sure what its called but if you have enough hair it can hold its self with out and elastic, but i use a stick, my hair it not bsl yet.

Cg
December 15th, 2016, 10:03 AM
I think our hair may be similar, Spinder. At a bit past waist, the best non-braided style for me is an L-infinity and 3- or 4-prong fork. Sometimes spidermom's also with fork. Often I need to start a French braid at ear level and either continue braiding or not to the end. LWB and pha can work this way but rarely without the braided section behind. Cinnamon buns and seashell buns don't work ever with my slick, straight, and thin, so I don't even bother trying any more.

Combs are for show. Style the bun, insert the comb, then anchor with many, many pins. For me this means at least 6 Amish pins or hefty roller pins. A lot of combs will slide out anyway, so make sure you let gravity work for you -- insert almost vertical.

samanthaa
December 15th, 2016, 10:25 AM
I really like my 3-prong for holding a seashell bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83039), both regular and braided. I also remember it holding a celtic bun well, but I don't wear that bun much.

We seem to have similar stats, except I'm on the thinner end of ii and my hair is at hip.