PDA

View Full Version : Oily Hair Problems

GingerWannabe
November 25th, 2016, 10:48 PM
So this post is pretty much me just complaining about my oily hair, with hopes that some of you could give me some input about what to try next. I'll begin with a general hair-history. But, long-story-short, what are some tips for stretching washes?

For as long as I can remember, I've washed my hair every other day. On wash days, after showering, it was nice and clean, and then the best on the next day, then by the next wash day, it was disgustingly oily, like 0 to 100 in 3 seconds (or 3 days). A few years ago, I ditched the conditioner because I realized that dry hair was not a problem of mine. A couple years ago, I tried WO for about 5 months, then gave up. When I returned to shampooing, I wasn't greasy until day 5, which was amazing. Then, I decided to give WO another shot, and I only went about a month before giving up because my hair is just too greasy, and the WO washes weren't doing a single thing for me. When I returned to using shampoo, I somehow regressed to getting greasy on day 3. Now that I've been shampooing, I get greasy on day 2. (note: I also occasionally get rashes on my scalp. It hasn't gotten bad since my initial WO attempt, so I haven't brought it up to my dermatologist)

I've grown to accept now that my hair just hates me and will make me look like a hippie who never showers, but my end goal is to only have to shampoo once a week. I currently switch between Shea Moisture's Moisturizing Shampoo, Mill Creek's Normalizing Shampoo, and Desert Essence's Clarifying for Oily Hair shampoo (all of which are natural), and I get greasy by day 2-3. I use cornstarch + essential oils for dry shampoo, but it really doesn't do much for me. I used to wash once a week, dry shampooing by day 3, then I got sick of no results from that, shortened it to washing it by day 4, then it got even more oily, then shortened it to day 3, it got worse, now day 2. I've also been noticing more hair loss than I'm used to, and my hair is really thin. I trimmed off 2-3 inches a week ago, and it somehow made my ends more thin, and I think I can trace my new development of acne to my greasy bangs touching my face. So pretty my hair is making me overall less attractive all because I was trying to do it a favor.

Thanks for reading, and, as mentioned at the start of the post, what tips do you have on stretching showers? I've tried going from 2 days, to 3, to 4, so on, but my hair just isn't hesitant to get greasy fast. Is it even possible, or could it just be a thing that my hair will always get greasy fast and continue to hate me?

nekosan
November 25th, 2016, 11:17 PM
No help, just commiseration. I also wash my hair every other day; stretching washes more hasn't worked for me. My hair looks nasty on day three, and on day four the grease makes my scalp start itching like crazy. (I think I've only made it 10 days without shampoo before finding it unbearable.)

I tried water only, and my top stayed greasy while my ends became a dry tangled mess.

I tried using a boar bristle brush to distribute the grease, but that just made even more of my hair go completely greasy, stringy, flat, and limp. The ends of my hair would go completely staticy crazy before I was able to nudge the sebum too much below BSL.

I've tried a few different DIY dry shampoos, and they just made my hair look worse.

What works for me is just shampoo every other day (shampoo on the scalp only) and conditioner on the ends only (elbows down). *shrug* If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Simsy
November 26th, 2016, 02:11 AM
You sound like you're having similar problems to me. I'll tell you how I did it, your mileage may vary.

1-I don't wear my hair loose unless it's getting washed either that night or the next morning. I found the movement and air blowing through it was enough to make my hair oily at the roots, dry as straw on the ends, and tangled like crazy to boot. Braids, buns, stuffed under hats; the method of tying back doesn't seem to matter so long as it is restrained.

2-Avoiding cheap products. I can't use the cheap, budget or no-name shampoos, conditioners or hair creams. They dry my hair out, which makes the oily/dry problem worse and stretching washes much harder. I also can't use the same products for months without running into minor problems. I swapped to a good quality mid-range product and noticed a massive difference. I switched to a higher quality product a couple of years ago as the hair started to get longer and irritated by the previous favourite. I also change the variety of product; e.g. I'll use Ultra Moisture, then swap to Normal Hair, maybe a bottle or 2 of Long-Lasting Coloured Hair and eventually end up back on Ultra Moisture. Depending on what your hair needs at the time will determine what you go with; the order above is just what works for my curls. I also need cones and sulphates; all natural shampoo and/or conditioner is a easy way for me to end up with an unwanted hair cut.

Side note: I buy multiple bottles in different types when they are on sale; means I'm not trying to find them when I'm having a bad hair day.

3-hair oil; and lots of it. Yes, this sounds counter-productive; bear with me. Oil production goes up when your scalp is irritated or dry. So a solution that worked really well for me was to get my hands on a good hair oil. I started with Argon Oil, I found a bottle at the hairdressers. Once I was comfortable with using it; and my hair had settled down; I switched to a not-quite-so expensive repair oil. Claims of damage repair aside, this particular oil combo happens to be one my hair loves. The oil production on my scalp has reduced drastically, providing I remember to oil a couple of times a week; and I'm able to occasionally stretch a wash out to 2 weeks with only minor itching in the last couple of days. You can also use essential oils, olive oil, coconut oil, pretty much whatever your hair like. Go slow and make sure they are not causing more issues.

4-Not getting my hair wet between washes. This seems to be a fairly unique solution to me, I don't let my hair get wet if I'm not washing it. No rain, no swimming underwater, no head under the shower. My hair doesn't like getting wet and it gets tangled, grumpy and unreasonable. Since this is not fun in the slightest to fix, I just keep my head dry. Sweat doesn't seem to have quite the same impact, but I don't really sweat a lot so YMMV...

5-Time and tolerance. You can slowly stretch washes while you change out products; you can change the products first then stretch the washes; or you can brute force it by simply not washing your hair until you are good and ready. The first 2 options are a slow, gentle process; the 3rd option depends heavily on your tolerance for oily hair while still being in public. I personally would get the products sorted first but up to you.

It may also be that you are simply one of those people that can't stretch more than a few days. There are plenty on the boards in the same position and it is by no means an end to long, healthy hair. Otherwise, gently, slowly and take your time. Some things can't be rushed.

Meredith_Sulok
November 26th, 2016, 04:03 AM
Sorry if I got a little long-winded but this was a very relatable thread and I have a lot to say about how I (probably) overcome it.

Here's what I think that worked. My mom and I bought a bottle of virgin coconut oil which I have seldom used because my past results with it have been... not quite what I expected--it made my hair brittle and made me want to wash it--so I stopped after that. Suddenly, I just happen to look up if there were proper ways to apply it so I tried it the third time and it worked because my hair wasn't as oily after 2-3 days and I happen to have pin-straight hair which is known for having oils travel down faster from the scalp and requires more washing.

I'm assuming that your hair washing routine starts from the moment you wake up. And that you are not busy. So before you get started, detangle your hair and take your time. DON'T suddenly comb/brush your hair because at that point, you got a mini bird's nest somewhere there, either on your ends or near your scalp. Just use your hands and fingers then comb it with a wide-toothed comb. If you can comb the entire length without trouble, then that's good enough.

Now for the important part. So what I did was I took a small bowl--the kind that people use for dipping sauces--and poured VERY little amount of it (something like one squirt from a bottle that you use in lotions. The coconut oil didn't come in that sort of bottle, I just poured half of it in a new empty one). I dip my fingers on the oil and rub it all over my scalp. Start from... wherever you want whether the back of your neck to the front, the crown, the temples, the visible part in your hair, anywhere just as long as it's the scalp. I don't know the names of the parts of the head, sorry.

After that, It's time for the hair itself; start from the ends and work your way up to the mid-shaft. You're still using the oil in your bowl so just dip your fingers there again. Comb it just to spread it evenly once you feel that you've coated your hair enough. Depend on how long it is, braid it first then use a clamp to keep it on top of your head (if you don't know how to braid, a bun is fine too). Then cover with a shower cap or wrap it in a towel. Personally, I prefer the shower cap. Keep it that way for 30 minutes (though some would suggest 1-2 hours if your hair was really damaged). I use the timer on my phone because I like to be certain.

Then you get into the shower. Even after thirty minutes, my hair is still under the cap but I start washing my face and body here. Once that's done, I take it off, undo my braids and rinse the oil off. I use shampoo and conditioner to wash them out completely. To note, the products I use are very commercial so I believe that it doesn't really matter what you shampoo and condition with (but just to be specific, I use Pantene).

Shampoo ONLY your scalp, then rinse. Oh and don't ball your entire hair onto your head because that's where all the tangling after washing your hair comes from. No good! Then, squeeze the soap off through the length of your hair, basically squeegee it. Now condition from mid-shaft to ends (leave the scalp alone). I use a shampoo brush here to distribute the conditioner evenly but a plastic wide-toothed comb will work. Rinse and squeeze again. If your hair and back still feels oily from the conditioner, just splash water on your entire body along with your hair until you feel it's gone.

Then just dry. I don't blow dry because the heat scares me, but I sit in front of an electric fan. If you have one, do just that and comb your hair with a (wait for it...) wide-toothed comb all the while. Wait until it's completely dry to use a regular comb (the one with narrow teeth) or brush. Now after doing this, my hair felt really clean and fresh up to day 2 or 3 when my scalp would usually start to itch, get dandruff, and become greasy by that time.

What you do afterwards could also be a factor. So during your no wash days, don't get it wet. If you take baths daily (like me), put it up for a while. Tie your hair only if it's necessary (I go to school and take public transportation with open windows *cough*jeepney*cough so it's no good to let my waist length tresses flow freely in such conditions) but let it loose if you're lounging about at home or if you're not doing anything too extreme. If you sweat, that's fine. Just wipe your head. I usually went to sleep with braided hair but I've recently found out that I can go to sleep with unbound hair with no trouble or tangles. Then so on and so forth. I wake up still feeling like I just washed my hair.

It could work for you but you know what they say, results may vary. And also hair textures. Like I said, I have really straight hair but I don't know about you. It's all about research. I had to google and watch a lot of tutorials before figuring it out on my own and creating my own way.

lapushka
November 26th, 2016, 04:32 AM
Some people can't stretch washes - just the way it is.

Tips for stretching, take it slow, a day at a time, for a long time, then do a day more, for a long time (a few weeks), then go from there onward.

(note: I also occasionally get rashes on my scalp. It hasn't gotten bad since my initial WO attempt, so I haven't brought it up to my dermatologist)

Maybe that means WO is not for you. I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis, scalp gets red, itchy, flaky (not like dandruffy pinpricks, no big *flakes*)). I know what an irritated scalp can do. It sucks for hair growth. You need a clean and healthy scalp for good growth.

Shea Moisture might be too moisturizing for oily hair. I'd go with a sulfate shampoo, or a cleansing non-sulfate shampoo (like the African black soap or the JBCO Shea Moisture one).

You can't keep "playing" with your scalp health like that. Pick a routine, and stick to it!

Nique1202
November 26th, 2016, 06:09 AM
Some scalps get more oily when they're suddenly dried out or irritated, but some scalps get more oily when you use moisturizing products on them. I'd avoid any shampoo that has "moisture" in the name, for a start. Try either just the normalizing or just the clarifying shampoo that you already have for 2 weeks worth of washes because switching shampoos all the time doesn't work for everyone, and this will give you a better idea of what each one does for you. Just wash when you feel the need to instead of trying to stretch washes actively. See what happens, how your scalp feels, if you start getting less greasiness or more with each one. That's how I'd start, anyway.

vampyyri
November 26th, 2016, 06:26 AM
I personally have this same issue to the point where I do scalp washes nearly daily (or just when I'm going out/have work) with a clarifying shampoo. Perhaps look into doing that, it's made my hair look a lot better—some of us are just greaseballs and there's no way to fix it. I've tried just about everything to stretch washes to no avail, it's genetic for me. I also have very oily skin that I inherited from my mother, and she passed at 58 without a single fine line on her face... so it comes with it's perks for sure.

Annalouise
November 26th, 2016, 06:49 AM
May I just say something ~ there is absolutely no benefit to retaining an oily scalp. When the scalp is oily, sebum can clog the hair follicles. You want to get oxygen to your scalp. So if your body is producing more oil/sebum than someone else, that means you have to wash more often. :)

Some detergents make my scalp more oily than say plain soap. (however soap is not good for my hair for other reasons, namely very hard water). What I would do is make a note of what detergent is in your shampoo, and see how oily your scalp gets. Try a different detergent and then see what results you get.

Cocomidapropyl Betaine is used in a lot of "natural" shampoos but it is a mild irritant. So you have to find what detergent or soap works best for your scalp. And you might also want to check if the shampoo is pH balanced as that might also have an effect. Good luck. :)

lapushka
November 26th, 2016, 08:15 AM
May I just say something ~ there is absolutely no benefit to retaining an oily scalp. When the scalp is oily, sebum can clog the hair follicles. You want to get oxygen to your scalp. So if your body is producing more oil/sebum than someone else, that means you have to wash more often. :)

In my experience, I went from 2/3 washes a week to weekly washes, due to a bout where I couldn't wash for 2 weeks in a row (medical issues). Yes, I got an SD flare-up, and a pretty bad one at that, but suddenly I could weekly wash. Also, the length of my hair contributes to that as well. If I were to cut it off to say a pixie, or bob, I would have to wash more often again.

lithostoic
November 26th, 2016, 08:25 AM
You could use water only in between shampooings. I do that sometimes when I'm pressed for time.

sarahthegemini
November 26th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I tried stretching washes for 8 months to no avail. My hair is just oily. My solution? Wash it when it needs washing. Unfortunately you can't control your scalp, or oil production (I'm sure others will disagree but in MY experience, my oil production didn't change even after stretching for months! ) It's a pain in the butt but it's the way it is. If I want nice clean hair, I have to wash it regularly. I'd love to wash just once or twice a week but oh well. My commiserations! It does suck.

Annalouise
November 26th, 2016, 03:33 PM
In my experience, I went from 2/3 washes a week to weekly washes, due to a bout where I couldn't wash for 2 weeks in a row (medical issues). Yes, I got an SD flare-up, and a pretty bad one at that, but suddenly I could weekly wash. Also, the length of my hair contributes to that as well. If I were to cut it off to say a pixie, or bob, I would have to wash more often again.

I am really happy for you that you were able to do a weekly hair wash. We normally lose about 100 hairs a day (as the upper limit), if you are losing more than this, then it might be a problem.:)

lapushka
November 26th, 2016, 03:39 PM
I am really happy for you that you were able to do a weekly hair wash. We normally lose about 100 hairs a day (as the upper limit), if you are losing more than this, then it might be a problem.:)

No my hair isn't thinning out. ;) It's OK. I lose a lot of hair, but I detangle properly (comb/brush) only once a week.

Goddessa
November 26th, 2016, 04:52 PM
The worst for me is when my hair looks fine everywhere and then the pieces by my face are stuck together with oil 6hrs after washing. Ick.

GingerWannabe
November 29th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Thank you all.

I've definitely noticed that, when my scalp is rashy, it's oil too. Also, when I pick at my scalp, I can have clean, silky hair, then right after I finish picked at it, it's suddenly, oily. I'm not entirely sure why that's a thing.

I think, for now, I'll try to be mildy attractive, and not have greasy hair. I've tried french braids, normal braids, 5 strand braids...all the braids, different buns, different hairstyles, different no-heat textures--you name it--and I have yet to find something that hides the grease, because it always shows through for me.

Also, I have a loosely-based hypothesis that, if I shower when it gets greasy, and keep using my normalizing shampoo, that maybe, just maybe, it'll help my scalp balance, and eventually, start helping me go longer in between shower. Might be a stretch, but I'm desperate enough at this point.

Knifegill
November 29th, 2016, 10:49 PM
*waves oily-head card to get in*

Diet has a lot to do with it, as far as what kind of sebum I actually ooze. But since my crohn's diagnosis, I've been religiously strict and am still capable of making enough oil in 4 days to slick my hair solid on a cold day.

On wash day, I can wear it down. After day 2 or 3 when the grease sets in, I just BBB it all the way down to the ends and adopt a slick bun for as long as it takes to get to my next shower.

Water-only like every other time. My only shampoo is the trader joe's tea tree tingle, and I use it maybe every 12 to 14 days. I manage to shower about once a week so every other wash being shampoo, that adds up right.

I did no-wash for awhile and was sort of stable, but eventually (months) I got little sores on my head so had to go back to washing with water at least.

I don't know if there is any cure, hang in there. At least it looks darker when it's oily. :D

yvsa
November 30th, 2016, 02:28 AM
Some scalps get more oily when they're suddenly dried out or irritated, but some scalps get more oily when you use moisturizing products on them. I'd avoid any shampoo that has "moisture" in the name, for a start.

I'm experiencing the same thing; when i use a moisturizing shampoo my roots get oily after a day. Now i use a shampoo that contains protein. And that works really well for my scalp. The ends of my hair i do moisturize.

GingerWannabe
November 30th, 2016, 03:17 PM
I'm experiencing the same thing; when i use a moisturizing shampoo my roots get oily after a day. Now i use a shampoo that contains protein. And that works really well for my scalp. The ends of my hair i do moisturize.
Has the protein kind of helped to calm/balance your scalp?

yvsa
December 1st, 2016, 02:23 AM
Yes, my roots are looking less oily to me. But my ends do need a moisturizing conditioner/leave inn. Some people are sensitive to protein so you be aware. But for me it sure helped:).

kidari
December 1st, 2016, 04:31 PM
My scalp gets really irritated if I try to actively stretch washes. I used to have wash twice a day when my hair was short; that's how oily my scalp is! Normally I wash every other day now and sometimes I can get away with every third day if my scalp isn't bothering me and I wear it up in a neat bun. I noticed that around that time of the month I usually have to wash daily for about 5-7 days. I got so annoyed at washing so often when my hair was waist that I skipped conditioner, which ended up being a huge mistake several months later (I got really dry ends that had to be chopped off). So now I just CO wash every other wash and I always follow a shampoo with a conditioner rinse and try to at least do a heavy oiling or deep treatment every 2 weeks among other things (leave ins, etc.) I guess the good thing about really good length is that you can scalp only wash- man I wish I could do that! My hair has always been too short and too layered for that. I am so jealous of those who can successfully scalp-only wash!

GingerWannabe
December 3rd, 2016, 01:53 PM
I've tried multiple oil treatments, and about 3 years ago, I used to use a coconut oil mask every other week or so, then stopped because I couldn't get the oil out with just water. I tried again recently, shampooing it out. I had to shower twice and shampoo 6 times that day to get all the oil out for my hair to actually look and feel clean, and it didn't really help my scalp at that

Kat
December 3rd, 2016, 04:08 PM
But, long-story-short, what are some tips for stretching washes?

Scalp-only wash? At least the drying time will be less... (I've had to start doing that-- I moved to a hot country where my hair also hates the water. I don't do it for oil, just SWEAT, yuck. Especially since I work out outside three days a week... my hair is literally damp down to almost my shoulders. But washing every couple days is a pain, and I'm afraid to subject my hair to the water too often, so I scalp wash instead.)

Also, you might try an herbal rinse. I find it can help (and back when I had the middle-school greasies, my mom noticed it seemed to keep them at bay longer). I'm not sure which of my herbs is responsible, but here's what I use, and maybe you can find a combination that works for you: hibiscus flower, rosemary, lavender, bay leaf, yarrow, marigold and/or calendula, horsetail, juniper berries, chamomile, black tea sometimes.

mizukitty
December 3rd, 2016, 04:56 PM
Yup, oily scalp here and I've just learned to love and accept it. The oil is there for a reason - and despite us oilies having a lot more and having to remove excess a lot more frequently -- it's there to keep our scalps healthy and protected, as well as nourish the new hair growth that is coming in. I tried to fight it for a while, forcing my scalp to try and "stop overproducing oil" by stretching washes but it got me nowhere except to a doctor with a terrible case of SD with scabs EVERYWHERE from the itching (and scratching!)

My length isn't nearly as oily as my roots and washing every other day is a happy medium, especially alternating SLS free shampoo days with CO washes. This keeps my length moisturized, but removes the excess oil very effectively. If my length is particularly dry, scalp only washes are the way to go. WO is also extremely helpful in a pinch, as I hate using dry shampoo (too much gunk, adds to a potential SD flare up.) Warm, slightly hot water will make the sebum more runny so it can spread out and not look so.. well, oily!

That said, I still use herb infused oils and essential oils on my scalp without a problem. I still get oily hair at the end of day two and no amount of oiling or not oiling my scalp changes that. I like the benefits of essential oils on my scalp, as well as the protective nature of coconut/olive oil on my length for shampoo days. So, just a reminder, even if you're oily doesn't mean you can't use oil!

GingerWannabe
December 3rd, 2016, 04:58 PM
Is scalp-only washing just shampooing your scalp (which I currently do)?

Also, how do you do a herbal rinse? Just like brew it into water, then rinse with the water?

Oh, and how do I properly oil my hair? Anytime I do, I have to shampoo it so much to get rid of all of the oil, which I assume is quite detrimental to the hair and defeats the initial purpose of the oil treatment.

mizukitty
December 3rd, 2016, 05:04 PM
Oh, and how do I properly oil my hair? Anytime I do, I have to shampoo it so much to get rid of all of the oil, which I assume is quite detrimental to the hair and defeats the initial purpose of the oil treatment.

Don't apply so much that it's dripping, especially if you have problems getting it out. Apply a thin coating to the ends and maybe halfway up the length. Try using conditioner or COwash to remove it, as it will emulsify oil and water and literally rinse it off. This is much less damaging than scrubbing away with a ton of shampoo. Just use a LOT of conditioner, like, so much your hair is extremely coated, put a few drops of water in it to spread it all out, and leave it on for like 2-5 mins while you shower. Rinse really, really, really, well and it should be all gone. Oh, and stick to warmer water. Cold will make it more difficult to remove.

I've never had a problem of oil not rinsing out for me - no matter how much I put on my hair. I just use a normal amount of shampoo or a lot of conditioner and it's always gone. If someone else that has problems removing oil can chime in that would be great!! Does my hair just eat the oil or something? Or does the hot water maybe help? Mystery...

KitraKatarae
December 10th, 2016, 05:01 AM
I'm a greasy oily head and i only shampoo once a week in the cold weather, but I do go twice a week or more in summer.
Anyway my winter routine, really, is just to make the greasiness look deliberate. I get oily by Day 2, and while I can use some dry shampoos, loose powders generally working better than sprays, by Day 3 the dry shampoo gives up and quits. So after many trials and tears I just gave up as well, my hair is as oily as fast food fried chicken. So I started oiling the length, since my natural hair oil never got down past my neck, so everything below the ears i would just soak in coconut oil. Soak the coconut oil in until the ends matched the roots in looking like the french fries greasepan was dumped on my head. The good thing about oily hair is how shiny it is. So when I pull my shiny oily hair back into my tiny nubbin of a bun (my bubbin?) it looks like I just gelled my hair into a mirror shine modern "businesslike" hairstyle. A side part helps too. I also put some hairspray on my palms and skim my hands over the top and sides of my head. My hair is so oily the hairspray doesn't hurt it, and if anyone does touch my hair (which is rare but has happened) they feel the hairspray stiffness and really believe my hair is clean and just gelled and sprayed to oblivion.
And my oily bubbin doesn't care how many times I put on or take off my winter hats.

lapushka
December 10th, 2016, 06:42 AM
I tried "nettle" rinses in the past. Brewing some nettle tea, then rinsing the scalp with it after shampoo and before conditioner (never touches the scalp). I didn't notice any difference, so I nixed that. I experimented with a lot when I first came here!

almost alice
December 10th, 2016, 02:07 PM
I have honestly found that the best way to control my oil is more oil.

I used to wash my hair at night and by the end of the next day my hair was already starting to look oily at the roots. I've started doing a coconut, caster, and tea tree oil mask on my hair every four days. I use conditioner first to help remove the mask then I shampoo once and my hair is squeaky clean and soft. Plus, now I've found I can go those four days with out washing and my hair only looks oily toward the end and even then its not so bad I can't wear it out.

Kat
December 11th, 2016, 04:41 AM
Is scalp-only washing just shampooing your scalp (which I currently do)?

Nope. It means literally only getting wet as much hair as you want to wash. Even for a regular wash for me, shampoo never goes below about shoulder level, but all of my hair gets wet. A scalp-only wash, for me, involves braiding my hair up to where I want to wash it (again, about shoulder level; the oil on my head tends to want to migrate that far, and for sweat, my hair can soak it up off my neck), then holding up the end of the braid while only wetting, shampooing, and rinsing the part that is not braided. That way, the dry length isn't subjected to this crappy water, but the parts that are oily and sweaty and smelly and disgusting still get clean.

I do a regular wash once a week, scalp-only one or two more times a week.

Does anyone else find that sometimes their hair still reeks like it's oily-dirty even after washing? Like, it can be clean and not-oily, but it still smells like it's dirty-- you know that distinctive head-oil smell? I mean, half the point of me washing it is so it doesn't smell (and now that I'm in a relationship and actually have someone getting close to me, I absolutely don't want it to stink; at least when I was single it didn't matter so much because nobody ever got close enough to know, but now when I have someone who hugs me and literally gets their face in my hair...). I don't know if that means I need to do the scalp-wash more often, because the oil spends too long on my hair and the smell soaks in and lingers even after the oil is gone*, or what.

*I've had this happen before when I used to wear essential oils in my hair a lot. People would comment on my "perfume" even if I'd washed my hair one or two times since last using it. My hair is dry and damage-prone, so it must be porous enough to really soak up and hang onto scent. (Except for shampoo. My hair never smells like shampoo or my herbal hair rinse for very long after it dries. I literally never have hair that smells good like you read about, even if it doesn't smell bad, it just smells like nothing.)

inpatient
December 16th, 2016, 01:24 PM
My hair is naturally really oily and I started WO washing 2 weeks ago. Tbh my hair is way more manageable now, than before. I never expected this to work, but it was a pleasant surprise XD

GingerWannabe
December 22nd, 2016, 10:14 PM
Could natural oils normalize your scalp like hair masks do? Because I'm on holiday now, and am tempted to just not shower for a few weeks.

Also, if I did this, should I try to not distribute the oil, and try to let it just sit on my scalp? Dry ends aren't really a problem I battle, but my ends are just really thin and I have a ton of split ends. So they aren't dry. Just damaged.

GingerWannabe
December 22nd, 2016, 10:15 PM
Tbh my hair is way more manageable now, than before. I never expected this to work, but it was a pleasant surprise XD
Congrats on finding what works for you! :D

lapushka
December 23rd, 2016, 03:22 AM
Could natural oils normalize your scalp like hair masks do? Because I'm on holiday now, and am tempted to just not shower for a few weeks.

Also, if I did this, should I try to not distribute the oil, and try to let it just sit on my scalp? Dry ends aren't really a problem I battle, but my ends are just really thin and I have a ton of split ends. So they aren't dry. Just damaged.

I would not go from a few days without washing to 2 weeks. That might give you all sorts of issues with your scalp. If you are going to stretch, stretch it *slowly*. One day, one week, at a time.