PDA

View Full Version : hair Botox???!

LaísB
November 25th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Hello my dear friends from LHC, I need a bit help deciding wheater or not should I do a hair treatment my mom has suggested for me. It's something called hair Botox, that is supposed to be an intensive treatment for hair care, reduce volume (and I struggle a LOT with volume), flyaways, frizz and split ends. They say it works a bit to make the curls look a bit looser. The igredient list is:

Cetearyl Alchool , glycerin, c9-11, isoparaffin, lanolin, panthenol, cetrimonium chloride, glyoxylic acid, guar hydroxypropyl, trimonium chloride, fragance, coconut oil, dimethiconol e cyclomethicone, methylchloro isothiazolinone 1,15%, methiazolinone 0,35%, argania spinosa kernel oil, aqua.

I think that I will try it out, but I want to check and see if any of these igredients are bad for hair ?

ps. I was worried it may have formalin but aparently it doesn't :) right? or it has but with another name?

lapushka
November 25th, 2016, 09:29 AM
How is it applied? Is it like a conditioning treatment? You should be wary of anything that says it will "loosen" your curl pattern. You have wavy hair, so it can't be that bad. I have about your texture, and there are other ways out there.

Obsidian
November 25th, 2016, 09:49 AM
I found this info on google, sounds really interesting and safe. The only thing I don't like the sounds of is the hair has to be flat ironed after the treatment to help "set" the treatment.
I'd love to see before and after pics if you go through with it. Were you planning on having it done at a salon or at home?
http://softerhair.com/introduction-to-botox-hair-treatment/

meteor
November 25th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Cetearyl Alchool , glycerin, c9-11, isoparaffin, lanolin, panthenol, cetrimonium chloride, glyoxylic acid, guar hydroxypropyl, trimonium chloride, fragance, coconut oil, dimethiconol e cyclomethicone, methylchloro isothiazolinone 1,15%, methiazolinone 0,35%, argania spinosa kernel oil, aqua.

^ I don't know anything about this specific product, but these specific ingredients make me think it could function like a keratin straightening (semi-permanent straightening product), simply because of the inclusion of glyoxylic acid, which is key ingredient in many brazilian/japanese types of keratin straightening products, and that stuff can be quite damaging, unfortunately, especially if the concentration is high and your hair is fragile and you use it many times, etc.
There are some studies on this you could look into, e.g. here: Formaldehyde replacement with glyoxylic acid in semipermanent hair straightening: a new and multidisciplinary investigation - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24962464

Other than that (and unrelated to this specific product), there are lots of completely different hair products out there that have the name of "hair botox" in them, like a marketing name. (The name in itself doesn't mean anything, it's important to check actual ingredients and technology behind them.) Some of them do have interesting new technology behind them, but they function like simple conditioning treatments for temporarily making limp or fine hair more rigid and voluminous, e.g. sol-gel technology (based on aminopropyl triethoxysilane) by L'Oreal, sometimes marketed as intracylane or fibra-cylane, which is found in many L'Oreal brands nowadays, sometimes called "hair botox" in marketing materials, e.g. L'Oreal Fiberceutic line. More on this specific technology: http://thebeautybrains.com/2015/04/do-loreal-products-really-thicken-hair/

LaísB
November 25th, 2016, 10:07 AM
How is it applied? Is it like a conditioning treatment? You should be wary of anything that says it will "loosen" your curl pattern. You have wavy hair, so it can't be that bad. I have about your texture, and there are other ways out there.

It it supposed to be applyed like a hair mask, wash, apply it, leave it in a while then wash it out. I am also worried about losing my texture, but from what I heard from other people who did it the hair doesn't get much straighter.

I found this info on google, sounds really interesting and safe. The only thing I don't like the sounds of is the hair has to be flat ironed after the treatment to help "set" the treatment.
I'd love to see before and after pics if you go through with it. Were you planning on having it done at a salon or at home?
http://softerhair.com/introduction-to-botox-hair-treatment/

I'm worried about that too, I haven't used heat in my hair for the past six months or so, but I hope it won't dammage too much... the link you gave was really good, and it says it's good for dry hair which is surely my case. I hope it will help with that.

I plan on doing it at the salon, as always, and if I really do it I''ll take pictures for you to see!

LaísB
November 25th, 2016, 10:18 AM
^ I don't know anything about this specific product, but these specific ingredients make me think it could function like a keratin straightening (semi-permanent straightening product), simply because of the inclusion of glyoxylic acid, which is key ingredient in many brazilian/japanese types of keratin straightening products, and that stuff can be quite damaging, unfortunately, especially if the concentration is high and your hair is fragile and you use it many times, etc.
There are some studies on this you could look into, e.g. here: Formaldehyde replacement with glyoxylic acid in semipermanent hair straightening: a new and multidisciplinary investigation - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24962464

Other than that (and unrelated to this specific product), there are lots of completely different hair products out there that have the name of "hair botox" in them, like a marketing name. (The name in itself doesn't mean anything, it's important to check actual ingredients and technology behind them.) Some of them do have interesting new technology behind them, but they function like simple conditioning treatments for temporarily making limp or fine hair more rigid and voluminous, e.g. sol-gel technology (based on aminopropyl triethoxysilane) by L'Oreal, sometimes marketed as intracylane or fibra-cylane, which is found in many L'Oreal brands nowadays, sometimes called "hair botox" in marketing materials, e.g. L'Oreal Fiberceutic line. More on this specific technology: http://thebeautybrains.com/2015/04/do-loreal-products-really-thicken-hair/

Indeed there are many products out there that pretend to be treatments are actually dammaging, that I why I always love to check the igredient's list to be really sure if it's healthy (can you belive there are brands that have formaldehyde and say they are treatments?!). I do plan on using it only once if I use it at all.

I do have to say that I am quite scared to use it, because from recent researches I read that when exposed to heat the glyoxylic acid can turn into formaldehyde and I don't think I want that.

I have pretty healthy hair right now, but the dryness is really annoying me and there is nothing that works for me, and I've tried a lot of things. I hope it won't be bad for me, but to be really sure I will do a test in a single strand to ensure it's safe, that I won't be alergic to it and that it won't be bad for my hair in general.

Thank you for your helpful informations!

littlestarface
November 25th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Why is it called botox? It doesn't even claim to make hair look younger like when you was a little kid :confused:

LaísB
November 25th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Why is it called botox? It doesn't even claim to make hair look younger like when you was a little kid :confused:

It's crazy, I know it! Like the names these brands creat with are insane!

LaísB
November 25th, 2016, 04:42 PM
UPDATE: I was worried about the heat, but apparently there is a way to use it where you don't have to blow dry/flat iron the hair with the product in, so that will be good for me, since I was worried about what happens with the glyoxylic acid when it is exposed to high temperatures, but that won't happen since it will be washed out.

Also my mom bought the product and it smells nice.

LaísB
November 27th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Alright, after thinking for a long time, and reading your coments about the igredients of the product, and looking for more info on the effects of each one of them I have decided that I will not use it on my hair.

I have never used a product with a high level of chemicals before, and I decided that this is not the time to do it. I know that with a bit more lenght the volume that annoys me will be easier to handle and I can take care of the frizz with other methods (that I have yet to find, but I know that there is something I can do).

I want to thank you all for helping me decide and understand the world of chemicals a bit better. :love:

lithostoic
November 27th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I'm kinda worried you'll end up with frizzy straightish hair.

LaísB
November 27th, 2016, 10:15 AM
I'm kinda worried you'll end up with frizzy straightish hair.

That was my fear too, that my hair would end up looking like a frizzy mess, like when I dry it with a blowdrier without using a brush. That is why I decided against using it.

Bhruninha
November 28th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Hair botox is the new version of the brazilian blowout treatment. I don't mean the brazilian blowout brand, but a keratin straightening treatment in Brazil, which already has several versions and the botox is the newest and weakest one of them all. Though it is a little damaging, it might be worth it if you are trying to improve texture.

Bhruninha
November 28th, 2016, 10:12 AM
This treatment is not available in the US. If your hair is virgin I think it should be fine and you wouldn't notice any damage but if you have bleached hair, I would wait a couple of months because Brazil is currently testing another straightening treatment specifically for hair that has been bleached.

LaísB
November 28th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Hair botox is the new version of the brazilian blowout treatment. I don't mean the brazilian blowout brand, but a keratin straightening treatment in Brazil, which already has several versions and the botox is the newest and weakest one of them all. Though it is a little damaging, it might be worth it if you are trying to improve texture.

This treatment is not available in the US. If your hair is virgin I think it should be fine and you wouldn't notice any damage but if you have bleached hair, I would wait a couple of months because Brazil is currently testing another straightening treatment specifically for hair that has been bleached.

Thank you dear, I decided not to use it because I am scared of the results, but my sister will do it. It's really amazing (and scary) the amount of straightening products we have here in Brazil, some way more dangerous than others, that's for sure.

Thank you a lot!

jfg1987
November 28th, 2016, 08:13 PM

It's at least available in New York, my Brazilian hair stylist is trying to sell my mother and I on getting it. I think I will pass but I think my mom will go for it.

LaísB
November 29th, 2016, 05:22 AM
It's at least available in New York, my Brazilian hair stylist is trying to sell my mother and I on getting it. I think I will pass but I think my mom will go for it.

my mother, my aunt, and my sister will do it, but they have hair that is way thicker than mine, so I believe that for them the risk of getting it straighter is less, but I have pretty thin hair so I think it would be dangerous for me, after all I don't want to risk my lovely waves for a bit less of volume.

after they do it I may tell the results here if anyone is interested. I can't promise pictures but I'll say if they lost the texture or not and if it was bad for their hair in general.

MiaVolf
May 11th, 2023, 05:51 AM
My friends use botox injections to strengthen their condition or for some other reason. I know that most of my acquaintances and friends have a problem that it is very difficult to find a reliable supplier and a convenient site. My best friend buys botox at ... She told me that it was very convenient for her to use the site, because there is a detailed guide on how to buy Botox. As for botox, I can see the result, her hair has become incredible and wonderful. my friend really likes the quality and price on the site and has been using it for many months.

Shorty89
May 11th, 2023, 06:06 PM
My friends use botox injections to strengthen their condition or for some other reason. I know that most of my acquaintances and friends have a problem that it is very difficult to find a reliable supplier and a convenient site. My best friend buys botox at ... She told me that it was very convenient for her to use the site, because there is a detailed guide on how to buy Botox. As for botox, I can see the result, her hair has become incredible and wonderful. my friend really likes the quality and price on the site and has been using it for many months.

Why does this guy sound like an AI bot?