PDA

View Full Version : How do I work my shampoo in without damaging my hair?

RebekahE
November 24th, 2016, 08:05 AM
My scalp hates massages. I just finally figured that out. I always lose a lot of hair in the shower and it is because I have to really work the shampoo in, to clean my hair. I can't just smooth it on I have to spend about 5 mins working it in. I try to be very gentle but I always lose a lot of hair, it's not breakage just shed hair. What is a good way I can work the shampoo in without a lot of massaging and still get it to the scalp. My hair isn't overly thick but it is thick enough to pose problems especially at the back of my head and the areas right above my ears. I do an acv rinse and I still have trouble getting all the "gunk" out, is there any way to get to the scalp without working it in with my fingers? I have done the inversion method once and while I liked it in terms of getting the hard to reach areas of my scalp, my hair was literally a nightmare to detangle once it dried. My hair always tangles terribly in the shower, it doesn't matter what I do or what conditioner I use, I've come to accept it and I've gotten pretty good at detangling gently with minimal to no breakage. I got off topic, sorry. I would really like to solve this problem, I always want to cry when I see how much hair I've lost.
Edit: I wash my hair every 3-4 days on average. I used to be able to do it every 5 days and then I irritated my scalp and now I'm lucky to go four days, I am hoping I can stretch it back out eventually.
And I have also tried CO Only and Shampoo bars, massive shedding. Even though I liked how the shampoo bars cleaned and even with my acv rinse there was lots of shedding.

missmelaniem
November 24th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Keep one of your old shampoo bottles with a flip top cap and dilute your shampoo down first. You'll have to experiment with how much, but its MUCH easier to distribute on your scalp that way. Then just squirt on your length to saturate, shampoo your scalp and rinse

lapushka
November 24th, 2016, 08:26 AM
1/ It's normal to lose hair while shampooing (I lose like the bottom of a sink full).

2/ I work in sections. I glob a small palmful on the back of my head, a small palmful on the top of my head, and one small palmful divided into two for the two sides. Then work it in, add a bit of water and suds up every section until it the entire head is one sudsy "mess". Then I quick-rinse and work it in a second time. Rinse. Done. Easy. I think I use about 50ml of shampoo per go. But it needs to happen as it is a weekly wash. So all the gunk has got to go!

Annalouise
November 24th, 2016, 08:26 AM
How much shampoo do you use?

Annalouise
November 24th, 2016, 08:29 AM
1/ It's normal to lose hair while shampooing (I lose like the bottom of a sink full).

2/ I work in sections. I glob a small palmful on the back of my head, a small palmful on the top of my head, and one small palmful divided into two for the two sides. Then work it in, add a bit of water and suds up every section until it the entire head is one sudsy "mess". Then I quick-rinse and work it in a second time. Rinse. Done. Easy. I think I use about 50ml of shampoo per go. But it needs to happen as it is a weekly wash. So all the gunk has got to go!

:thumbsup: Yup that's the right way. Lapushka uses a generous amount of shampoo applied to each area of the head and that is how you get it done! And the second shampoo gets more to the scalp after the first shampoo removes mostly the oils from the hair.:)

RebekahE
November 24th, 2016, 08:53 AM
How much shampoo do you use?

About two quarters worth.

lapushka
November 24th, 2016, 08:55 AM
About two quarters worth.

Either dilute this, to get all over, or use a lot more! Two quarters is too little if you don't dilute, not for that much hair!

Annalouise
November 24th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Either dilute this, to get all over, or use a lot more! Two quarters is too little if you don't dilute, not for that much hair!

:agree: Yup she's right. You need more shampoo than that to get the job done. If you are using a small amount, and using your fingers to try and distribute that small amount you are creating more friction than is necessary. Let the shampoo do the work.:)

Madora
November 24th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Before you enter the shower, brush or comb out your hair completely to remove any stray shed hair.
After you get in the shower, wet your hair thoroughly, then apply your shampoo. (I dilute mine: one tablespoon of shampoo into 10 oz warm water).

I always dreaded shampooing because of tangles but over the years found that if I center parted my hair from front to nape, and tried to keep the hair separated as much as possible, that helped diminish troubles with tangles.

Also, I shampoo one side at a time, working from top to bottom, then front to back. I used my fingerpads to gently massage in the shampoo. Hair was rinsed thoroughly with warm water, then shampooed again. (the first shampoo was to remove all surface particles of dirt and oil from the scalp. The second lathering is for cleansing the scalp). Rinse again, and if you can stand it, final rinse with water as cold as you can stand (helps close the follicles).

I press out the water with the palms of my hands, then wrap it in a towel while I finish cleaning the shower, etc. Then I remove the towel, divide the hair down the center so that it is in 2 parts, then add 5 drops of mineral oil (in place of conditioner), then gently part one section of hair into strips, then begin to detangle each strip (working from the ends to the roots). Then, weather permitting, I go outside and airdry it (takes about 25 minutes). Indoors, I use an portable electric heater (takes about 35 minutes).

lapushka
November 24th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Before you enter the shower, brush or comb out your hair completely to remove any stray shed hair.
After you get in the shower, wet your hair thoroughly, then apply your shampoo. (I dilute mine: one tablespoon of shampoo into 10 oz warm water).

Oh definitely. Even though that wasn't the issue or question here, I do also make sure my hair is properly detangled prior to washing it. But then, still hair comes out during the washing process (normal) and I have one of those hairthingies to catch hairs. And after I detangle once more and *again* hair comes out the size of the bottom of a sink full. I lose a lot of hair during the washing cycle. But still, I never notice thinning - it's always been that way.

Nique1202
November 24th, 2016, 10:50 AM
I shampoo twice and I use about as much shampoo as the size/volume of my thumb for each, worked in mainly from the hairline inward with a glob on the crown with my hair separated a bit, just to be sure it gets clean. The first wash might not suds up much, but as long as the second one does you're doing fine.

Diluting is another great suggestion to get your shampoo spread out more evenly, but if it doesn't work you don't need to push it. I find that even with the same amount of shampoo as usual it doesn't get EVERY scrap of gross out of my hair, so after a few washes I'm left with still-dirty-looking hair afterward. As with everything, results may vary from person to person. :blossom:

Shiranshoku
November 24th, 2016, 10:59 AM
For me, diluting does the trick. I have an empty shampoo bottle that I fill up with warm water, squirt in a small amount of shampoo, give it a shake, and go. Since i only shampoo my scalp, that's plenty for me.

Obsidian
November 24th, 2016, 11:29 AM
I use about 1 tbsp of shampoo, pour it into my palm then dip my finger tips into it.
This I apply directly to my scalp, flipping my hair upside down if needed to help expose the scalp on the backside.
Once I have shampoo all over my scalp, I'll gently work it into a lather.
I've tried diluting and it just doesn't do the job.

Garnetgem
November 24th, 2016, 11:38 AM
I dilute the shampoo in an empty bottle then pour over scalp this way you don't need to work it in the same way its already foamy,i then press it gently into scalp before rinsing even better it prevents tangles as well as shedding,i only get around two strands in the water but before this method i had quite a lot blocking the plug hole.

lapushka
November 24th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I would dilute, except my SD reacts to just about *anything*. :rolleyes: I never knew how much shampoo I used, until I got a sample bottle of a shampoo (Garnier Fructis fortifying shampoo) of 100ml, and it lasted me 2 washes, so about 50ml per wash is about right, I think. I do have to say that I weekly wash, and that my scalp *needs* the shampoo after about a week. It also depends on how dirty your hair is, I guess.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 24th, 2016, 06:44 PM
I dilute my shampoo about 1 part shampoo to 5 parts water in an old dye applicator bottle, it works wonderfully for me to get the shampoo through to my scalp and means less hair manipulation trying to apply the shampoo.

RebekahE
November 25th, 2016, 06:31 AM
Thank you for the wonderful suggestions! I will start implementing them on my next wash.

Strands
November 25th, 2016, 07:32 AM
My scalp hates massages. I just finally figured that out. I always lose a lot of hair in the shower and it is because I have to really work the shampoo in, to clean my hair. I can't just smooth it on I have to spend about 5 mins working it in. I try to be very gentle but I always lose a lot of hair, it's not breakage just shed hair. What is a good way I can work the shampoo in without a lot of massaging and still get it to the scalp. My hair isn't overly thick but it is thick enough to pose problems especially at the back of my head and the areas right above my ears. I do an acv rinse and I still have trouble getting all the "gunk" out, is there any way to get to the scalp without working it in with my fingers? I have done the inversion method once and while I liked it in terms of getting the hard to reach areas of my scalp, my hair was literally a nightmare to detangle once it dried. My hair always tangles terribly in the shower, it doesn't matter what I do or what conditioner I use, I've come to accept it and I've gotten pretty good at detangling gently with minimal to no breakage. I got off topic, sorry. I would really like to solve this problem, I always want to cry when I see how much hair I've lost.
Edit: I wash my hair every 3-4 days on average. I used to be able to do it every 5 days and then I irritated my scalp and now I'm lucky to go four days, I am hoping I can stretch it back out eventually.
And I have also tried CO Only and Shampoo bars, massive shedding. Even though I liked how the shampoo bars cleaned and even with my acv rinse there was lots of shedding.

Foamify your shampoo. Take a foaming hand soap bottle, clean it out really well, and then add 1 tablespoon of shampoo to 1/4 cup of water and gently swirl it around to dilute it. Then, you can just pump the foam and gently get that onto your scalp.

lapushka
November 25th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Foamify your shampoo. Take a foaming hand soap bottle, clean it out really well, and then add 1 tablespoon of shampoo to 1/4 cup of water and gently swirl it around to dilute it. Then, you can just pump the foam and gently get that onto your scalp.

That's a nice way.

They don't sell foaming hand soaps where I live, though. That market hasn't been tapped yet. ;) :p (Nevermind I can't dilute anyway.) But it's a great idea!

meteor
November 26th, 2016, 06:47 PM
I also love diluting shampoo in a separate applicator bottle to get it easier to spread it around. It works really well for me. I also like to lather shampoo up 3 times (or at least 2) for a very thorough cleanse.

Another thing that really helps me get a thorough "scrubbing" of my scalp is to do a "braided" wash from time to time. I make 4-6 braids starting from chin-shoulder length down and this allows me to really focus on my scalp without worrying about my length tangling up, because it kind of sections the areas, keeps the length organized and completely out of the way, so the length doesn't tug/pull when I'm trying to wash every millimetre of the scalp.

spidermom
November 26th, 2016, 09:19 PM
I dilute my shampoo, and after squirting it all over my scalp, I move my fingers over my scalp in a combing motion from front to back rather than a massaging motion. It works well and my hair doesn't end up tangled.

lapushka
November 27th, 2016, 04:37 AM
I dilute my shampoo, and after squirting it all over my scalp, I move my fingers over my scalp in a combing motion from front to back rather than a massaging motion. It works well and my hair doesn't end up tangled.

My mom still "massages", moving fingers up and down all over the scalp (in a combing motion). It's not rubbed around in a circle, that's for sure, but I still get my "massage", if that makes sense. :)

Annalouise
November 27th, 2016, 08:27 AM
My mom still "massages", moving fingers up and down all over the scalp (in a combing motion). It's not rubbed around in a circle, that's for sure, but I still get my "massage", if that makes sense. :)

Is that bad to move your fingers in a circular motion?