PDA

View Full Version : How can I treat my stiff/crispy/brittle ends?

pamela_07
November 23rd, 2016, 07:31 PM
Then ends Ends of my hair have no movement at all, the feel and look stiff, crispy to the touch and brittle
and I would not want to cut,perhaps a microtrim but I would not eve want that!! as I have mentioned in other post's I have bleached hair and I recently bleached, and I am trying the co wash to help reconstruct my hair again, But is there some really good remedy/tip/method to have movement on the ends
like 'healthy' bouncy ends? Plz Help:confused::confused:

spidermom
November 23rd, 2016, 10:58 PM
Honestly, there is such a thing as hair damaged beyond repair, and the only remedy is cutting. I've heard good things about applying warm olive oil, then wrapping hair with a scarf, and washing out before bed or in the morning. You have to be gentle about washing, too. A good way is to apply conditioner over the oil, allow to "marinate" for an hour or a day, then massage out under running water. If that doesn't provide enough cleansing, try some diluted shampoo. Good luck! I know how miserable it can be when hair is damaged beyond repair. I once re-permed hair that had been permed the year before, and it destroyed my hair. I had a very short pixie cut to recover from that.

diddiedaisy
November 23rd, 2016, 11:21 PM
Have you tried a good protein treatment followed by a heavy moisturiser? That's what I would do if was you. I also have dyed blonde hair. Aphogee 2 step is a serious protein treatment, you have to careful though as it makes your hair hard, or maybe try joico k-pac which is also a good protein treatment. Make sure you always follow a protein treatment with deep conditioning.

I would also try leaving a mix of cococnut and olive oil on the hair overnight. Use conditioner to get it out in the morning rather than shampoo. The coconut will help your hair retain protein better and the olive will help soften it up.

Thirdly, when you wash your hair use the condition, shampoo, condition method so the shampoo doesn't dry your hair out.

Lastly, if you don't wash your hair daily make sure you at least dampen everyday to get some moisture in, then seal that moisture with a serum or a dash of oil.

Oh, and keep it up all the time whilst it is going through a dry/crispy spell to maintain the moisture.

I wouldn't rush into trimming just yet, it's surprising what you can do if you find the right combo for your hair.

Good luck :)

lapushka
November 24th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Yes, protein, especially if you've recently bleached; after bleach that should be the first thing to do!

And spidermom is right. If it's damaged, honestly, there is fairly *little* you can do but cut it off. But do try the protein first, and if going the DIY route, try gelatin not an egg, egg proteins can't penetrate the hair as the molecules are too big.

Anje
November 24th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Before you start cutting and all...

Get yourself a clarifying shampoo. Something cheap like Suave Daily Clarifying is fine. Use it to wash your length and ends by applying it to them and gently scrubbing. Do it twice just to be certain. Sometimes awful ends are just a result of buildup. (Mind, clarifying shampoo generally isn't something you want to be using all the time. It's kinda harsh. But if you've got a bunch of buildup, it's just what you want from time to time.)

After that, grab a bottle of your favorite deep conditioner. Apply it, throw on a plastic shower cap, and let it marinate for something like 30-40 minutes. Wrapping it in a warm towel might help. Then rinse.

If that doesn't do it, I'd suggest you get something like the Aphogee 2-step protein treatment. Do a protein treatment (it'll probably come out stiff after the first step), follow up with the moisturizing second step. Hopefully that'll make it feel a whole lot better.

If ALL THAT doesn't work, then cutting might be your option. But it's worth cleaning any gunk off and then seeing if you can make your hair feel better by giving it some of the things it needs.

Nymphe
November 24th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Talk to your stylist about Olaplex (http://olaplex.com). Just make sure if you use it to keep it off your scalp; it can clog pores.

pamela_07
November 25th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Thanks @diddiedaisy Your advice is great, I will try all that you mentioned, My ends don't look that bad, but to the touch they feel and kinda look stiff,without movement.Thanks girl!

pamela_07
November 25th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Hey nymplhe, sure I will check that out! I have heard a lot about olaplex, they say its great!!

truepeacenik
November 25th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Before you start cutting and all...

Get yourself a clarifying shampoo. Something cheap like Suave Daily Clarifying is fine. Use it to wash your length and ends by applying it to them and gently scrubbing. Do it twice just to be certain. Sometimes awful ends are just a result of buildup. (Mind, clarifying shampoo generally isn't something you want to be using all the time. It's kinda harsh. But if you've got a bunch of buildup, it's just what you want from time to time.)

After that, grab a bottle of your favorite deep conditioner. Apply it, throw on a plastic shower cap, and let it marinate for something like 30-40 minutes. Wrapping it in a warm towel might help. Then rinse.

If that doesn't do it, I'd suggest you get something like the Aphogee 2-step protein treatment. Do a protein treatment (it'll probably come out stiff after the first step), follow up with the moisturizing second step. Hopefully that'll make it feel a whole lot better.

If ALL THAT doesn't work, then cutting might be your option. But it's worth cleaning any gunk off and then seeing if you can make your hair feel better by giving it some of the things it needs.

This is the more likely to help advice, although olaplex could be subbed for the aphogee. It is possible to get olaplex for home use.

Again, keep all of these treatments off your scalp. Start at least one inch down the hair.

grenadine
November 25th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Olaplex works wonders! I've had it done in a salon and also used no3 at home (bought it off amazon, but be careful because there are fakes everywhere!). Maybe experiment with oiling your ends, doing a SMT, or a protein treatment for easy at-home, kitchen-ingredient options. I would clarify before doing any of these though, since I know when my ends are getting tangly and raggedy it's usually because there's some kind of buildup that my hair doesn't like.

Avital88
November 25th, 2016, 10:34 AM
What kind of worked for me were cassia treatments and coconut oil. I say kind of because I had to cut off 1 good inch of the 5 inch of crunchy ends to have it fall better and without tangles after all. But the cassia really made it less crunchy so it's worth a shot.

Good that you already are co washing. I wouldn't come close to any SLS soon. So if you do wanna use shampoo a SLS free would do.

missmelaniem
November 25th, 2016, 12:18 PM
I'd use something moisturizing with gentle heat (cap your hair in plastic and then wrap a towel over it), then rinse lightly. I'd also recommend a leave-in on your ends only.

I certainly wouldn't chop. Trim in small increments if you feel the need after all else fails