PDA

View Full Version : What are the best supplements/vitamins for ultimate hair growth?

pamela_07
November 23rd, 2016, 12:39 PM
What are the real deal vitamins for hair growth? to have silky,shiny,and thick long hair?

vampyyri
November 23rd, 2016, 12:48 PM
There's no magical supplement for it. I just take a multivitamin.
Just a whole lot of patience, caring for it, and even more patience.

lapushka
November 23rd, 2016, 03:13 PM
True, there is no one supplement.

I also take a multivitamin, but more so for health reasons. I think that's *more* than enough.

Dark40
November 23rd, 2016, 04:40 PM
I know an excellent hair vitamins or supplements you can take!!! Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin, and Nails. And also, Spring Valley Hair, Skin, and Nails. As I take these supplements my hair looks and feels it's best!!! Silky, shiny, thick, long, and healthy!!! I hope this helps.

pamela_07
November 23rd, 2016, 04:55 PM
@dark40 hey thanks for your recommendations! I will try them for sure!!I also heard that biotin is the BEST or so I have heard and seen!!!

Llama
November 23rd, 2016, 04:58 PM
Vitamins aren't very popular here on LHC but I really feel like my prenatals do great things for my hair. I take Rainbow Light Prenatal Petites.

ephemeri
November 23rd, 2016, 05:13 PM
You'll just want to make sure you're getting enough water, protein, calories in general, B vitamins, copper and selenium. Also exercise regularly.

The thing is, if you already get enough vitamins and minerals, adding more won't do anything. But if you are deficient, then taking a supplement can help. Ultimately though, being patient and taking good care of your body and hair is what will give you the best results.

Silverbrumby
November 23rd, 2016, 06:50 PM
biotin and biosil seem to work brst for me. basically a good diet, veggies, fruit, whole grains, good oil and protein

pamela_07
November 23rd, 2016, 07:35 PM
Hey @llama, Thanks girl, Your hair is gorgeous!! love it!! Prenatals sound nice lots of vits & minerals!! By the way what is your hair routine?

Dark40
November 23rd, 2016, 07:49 PM
@dark40 hey thanks for your recommendations! I will try them for sure!!I also heard that biotin is the BEST or so I have heard and seen!!!

You're welcome! Yes, I used to take biotin sometime ago but it wasn't helping with hair growth. Just with the thickness of my hair. So, I've decided to start taking the hair, skin, and nails supplements vitamins instead. They help me out tremendously!!!!!

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 23rd, 2016, 07:53 PM
Just eat right.. thats more than enough.

Larki
November 23rd, 2016, 07:55 PM
I use Nature's Bounty, because there's no way I'm going to ever pay enough attention to my diet to figure out all the stupid vitamins and minerals. It doesn't do anything magical, but it reliably gives me like an extra 1/8th of an inch a month. :p

IsisMoon
November 24th, 2016, 01:22 AM
Vitamins aren't very popular here on LHC but I really feel like my prenatals do great things for my hair. I take Rainbow Light Prenatal Petites.

Vitamins aren't popular here? May I ask how come?

Llama
November 24th, 2016, 01:58 AM
Hey @llama, Thanks girl, Your hair is gorgeous!! love it!! Prenatals sound nice lots of vits & minerals!! By the way what is your hair routine?

Thank you :) :flowers: I updated my profile recently with a short description of my hair care routine if you want to take a look!

It seems like every time anyone asks about vitamins on here a lot of people chime in saying that they are unnecessary or something...I don't know. Just seems like there is always a negative response from the majority.

Arctic
November 24th, 2016, 02:20 AM
Definitely my observations too, Llama. But I might add that this is a current part of forum consensus. OPinions, consensus, forum culture and what is "in" and "out" waxes and wanes a lot; there was a time when for example bioting supplements were popular and we had (vocal) members taking super doses of vitamins.

I take supplements myself, although not really for hair - only my DE is purely for hair. I can't say I've ever noticed my supplements affecting my growth rate, it's about 1 cm per month.

Some other supplement that might have not been mentioned, that can affect hair growth (if one is deficient): iron, vitamin D, zink.

If you have special needs, supplement might be a good idea: vegan, vegetarian, pregnant or breast feeding, illness, absorbtion problems, long term stress, deficiencies of any kind... Usually the advice would be to let your doctor to see if there are deficiencies, but for example my university clinic does not do tests for vitamins, not even serum ferritin.

IsisMoon
November 24th, 2016, 02:42 AM
It seems like every time anyone asks about vitamins on here a lot of people chime in saying that they are unnecessary or something...I don't know. Just seems like there is always a negative response from the majority.

Oh I see. I kinda see it in a way that because the soil and food are depleted of vitamins and everyone is so stressed nowadays, not to mention air and water being polluted, vitamins should be taken by everyone.

But yeah, noone is the same so I guess not everyone really needs it. Plus what arctic said, potential deficiencies should be checked with the doctor first.

MidnightMoon
November 24th, 2016, 03:39 AM
I don't think food nowadays is more deficient in vitamins, if anything, it's better... sure, GMO and all that, but that doesn't mean you're eating poison. Before, people didn't even have access to fresh fruits or vegetables all year long, and many couldn't even afford buying meat and were stuck eating cereals most of the time. Despite that, many had long hair, can't tell if it was shiny or whatever, but these days we have lots of products, better water, better instruments and know a lot more about what actually is good or not for hair...
My point is, unless you're very poor and malnourished or have some problem absorbing nutrients from food you should be fine, but that's my opinion. I would also recommend getting your vitamins from food and not supplements, you'd be ingesting fiber, and I think your body prefers food over pills.
If your hair right now isn't exactly thick and such, don't expect it to magically become so, with better care and nutrition you can improve its condition, but you can't change your genes. Notice how there's people who have a very poor diet and barely care for their hair and its strong, thick and long nevertheless, while others care for it the best they can and it still looks "worse"?

Nique1202
November 24th, 2016, 03:42 AM

In general, vitamins are fine. After all, you need them to survive, and if you can't eat a balanced diet or you have a deficiency issue, then you need to supplement to get enough for your body to remain healthy.

The problem arises when you start taking something in doses many thousands of times higher than your body needs in a day. Biotin is the worst offender for this: many hair and nail supplements have upward of 5 000, 10 000, sometimes 20 000 times more biotin than your body can process in a day, and this can lead to SERIOUS side effects. Acne is the least of it, biotin megadoses like that have been linked to liver and kidney damage. It's necessary to have SOME biotin, but too much of anything isn't healthy. The reason people say to "drink lots of water" while taking biotin is so that the biotin that your body doesn't use gets flushed out through your kidneys, so not only is it overtaxing your kidneys but it's also wasting 99% of the vitamin you paid for.

A multivitamin is generally balanced to provide everything an average body needs in a day. If you think you have a deficiency issue that a multivitamin won't solve, you should get it checked out and have a doctor monitor the problem so that you don't hurt your body more in the long run. If you REALLY want to supplement biotin, stick to a vitamin b-complex because it has safer doses and the other b vitamins will help to balance things out.

Arctic
November 24th, 2016, 03:50 AM
The problem with multivitamins is, that many of the nutrients (especially minerals) compete with eachother. Best option would be to take, for example, iron at different time than calcium, zink or copper but with the same time with C. Calcium would be good to take with D, K and fat (maybe omega supplements) and so on. But this becomes very cumbersome after a while.

I am a vegetarian myself and was vegan for 8 years, and there are some vitamins I really need, like B12. I also need iron and D because I live very North. I also need omegas. Finnish soil is poor in selenium, so I need that. I need iodine too, Finns don't generally get enough. And so on. I don't think I get everything from my diet, even when it's very good (which it always isn't).

But yeah this is getting off topic and I need to start running!

lapushka
November 24th, 2016, 05:56 AM
Maybe read this on Biotin, before you continue and megadose (these hair vitamins often have megadoses of Biotin). Be careful. It is not always good to take supplements without research!
http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.be/2011/02/infamous-biotin-rant.html

Annalouise
November 24th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Oh I see. I kinda see it in a way that because the soil and food are depleted of vitamins and everyone is so stressed nowadays, not to mention air and water being polluted, vitamins should be taken by everyone.

But yeah, noone is the same so I guess not everyone really needs it. Plus what arctic said, potential deficiencies should be checked with the doctor first.

I agree with Isismoon. For one example, selenium, a vital nutrient is now deficient in the soil due to modern agriculture methods. They don't return the compost to the land and over time it gets depleted. This is pretty basic farming knowledge that is not done by huge corporate agribusiness which relies heavily on chemicals.:( Also mono culture crops that are not rotated are damaging to the soil. Some plants take up certain nutrients, and they need to be rotated with other crops that return nutrients to the soil.

pamela_07
November 24th, 2016, 01:56 PM
@llama hey, I can't see profiles because it says its:you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. I don't know why this comes out!!?

Garnetgem
November 24th, 2016, 02:01 PM
I take hair skin and nails vitamins and minerals and as for shiny hair growth i take cod liver oil as it has vitamin D and omega 3 both great for healthy shiny growth.

lapushka
November 24th, 2016, 02:28 PM
@llama hey, I can't see profiles because it says its:you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. I don't know why this comes out!!?

Please check this out!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68520