PDA

View Full Version : How to detangle cobweb hair

Annalouise
November 22nd, 2016, 02:50 PM
Hi guys,:) on the subject of cobweb hair. I have learned to deal with my hair by detangling with my fingers. Using a comb always resulted in breakage for me. I do not have African American hair but, my hair behaves like very curly hair. This video is exactly how I detangle my hair by using my fingers to pull the cob webs apart.
I had no idea that I detangled my hair the same way that curly hair is detangled. That is cool. :cool:
Check this out if you have cobweb hair. I find it very helpful.

Do you know how in straight hair videos how they always use a comb and comb down the hair vertically. This NEVER worked for me. It led to breakage. I have to detangle my hair HORIZONTALLY with my fingers.

Anyways, I hope this helps those out there with cobweb hair to better understand that it doesn't really function like straight hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlqqQCk7qQ8

:puppy:

littlestarface
November 22nd, 2016, 02:55 PM
I have cobwebs too and I have to pull my hair apart side ways and finger detangle before a comb goes anywhere near me TT included. I hate my type of hair, it literally clings to everything even the couch n pillows.

meteor
November 22nd, 2016, 03:32 PM
I have cobwebs too and I have to pull my hair apart side ways and finger detangle before a comb goes anywhere near me [...]

Same here. :agree:

I have multi-textured hair and some areas - especially on the sides, where the strands are extremely fine - tangle if I look at them wrong. With tangling, I think an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so I basically live in braids to prevent tangles from taking over my life. I sleep in braids, do updos starting with braids, do scalp-only washes with braids or braided buns, often dry and wash my hair in braids...

I find that finger-detangling helps particularly around the scalp area, where a comb just can't get through the thickness unless I section and separate strands with fingers.

When I undo my braided updos and start detangling, I detangle a little bit, intersection by intersection, as I am going up unbraiding the hair (similar to how gossamer does it here in her video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91KymwFlIYk). And once all the hair is loose, I focus on finger detangling from scalp down and then use a WT comb again.

I really love metal WT picks with those extra-long, smooth and completely round, thin prongs for detangling, but I haven't found one that is completely immune to rusting over the long run, so if anybody has seen any, please let me know. :) So far, I only use fingers and a wide-tooth wooden comb.

Annalouise
November 22nd, 2016, 03:51 PM
littlestarface ~ Nooo, you don't hate your hair. You love it! :inlove: Like she said in the video, once a person understands their hair they can love it don't you think? :heart: I hate my hair when I can't understand how to manage it. That is why I'm really trying to understand how to manage my hair so I can be happy with it. :D Where is my cobweb hair guru???:p

Annalouise
November 22nd, 2016, 03:59 PM
Meteor ~ I didn't know M/C hair could be cobweb hair?:confused: I always thought cobweb hair pertained to fine hair that was wurly/curly? Gossamer has a gorgeous head of hair! It looks rather straight though. Again, I thought cobweb hair was wurly/curly hair?

Who knows? If your hair acts like a cobweb then its a cobweb! ;)

I do agree with you about braiding and I think its a great idea. Here's the problem for me with Fine, i/ii hair. When it compresses into a braid they are tiny braids. And so it doesn't look very attractive to have two very skinny braids. :( although braiding helps to prevent tangles, for fine thin hair it doesn't look all that hot.

school of fish
November 22nd, 2016, 04:28 PM
I've been tempted to start a 'cobweb hair support group thread' too, haha!

I'm a straight finey - actually it looks as though I'm turning wavy but even when I was a kid/teenager/young adult with 1a hair it was cobwebs. Although my hair looks and feels silky I always kind of lived in fear of anyone trying to run their fingers through it :p

I agree, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure with this hairtype, although in my case instead of going with protective styling I opt for frequent detangling (I imagine my straight texture makes that a possibility for me - if I was wurly or more I don't know that that would work so well...). I do find that detangling gently several times a day means the tangles can't take hold and turn into snarls.

I also find the horizontal method effective when I meet up with a stubborn tangle - otherwise a Tangle Teezer has been brilliant.

Also, in my case build-up means tangles and my strands build up FAST, so I keep a pretty strippy routine for easiest detangling. Sulphate shampoo & thick slippy conditioner one day, thick slippy conditioner the next day, repeat. Stretching washes did NOT improve the cobweb tendency, not on me!

littlestarface
November 22nd, 2016, 06:04 PM
With braids and updos my scalp and under layer mats up and I just can't get anything in it. I have to be very careful n slow or else *break SNAP* oh my poor hair. I'm always looking for different braid styles to help, i'm on this crown braid kick and it helps keep my hair safe and not rub on anything and my mats are calmed down with this style.

Thank goodness for silk bonnets lemme tell ya'.

Annalouise
November 23rd, 2016, 07:30 AM
~ Guys, I had an epiphany last night about my cobweb hair. I asked myself, if my hair is cobweb and always tangling, then why on earth am I doing this? :slap: (Fighting with my hair texture? :D)

I don't know why it took me this long to figure it out - the answer is - Leave it alone!

I don't need to wear my hair in a bun if it tangles it. I don't need oils if they cement my fine ends together causing me to have to wrestle them apart. And I certainly don't need to brush or comb it dry. I don't need to put it up in a bun, and then wrestle it down, and then put it into a braid for night time. I don't really need to handle my hair at all if I'm smart. All I have to do is detangle in the shower with loads of conditioner. Let it hair dry. Put it in a silk scrunchie and FORGET about it! :D Put it in a silk bonnet at night and that's it. I'm done with touching my hair.:heart: It's not rocket science. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box but I'll get there, God willing. :toast:

school of fish
November 23rd, 2016, 08:23 AM
~ Guys, I had an epiphany last night about my cobweb hair. I asked myself, if my hair is cobweb and always tangling, then why on earth am I doing this? :slap: (Fighting with my hair texture? :D)

I don't know why it took me this long to figure it out - the answer is - Leave it alone!

I don't need to wear my hair in a bun if it tangles it. I don't need oils if they cement my fine ends together causing me to have to wrestle them apart. And I certainly don't need to brush or comb it dry. I don't need to put it up in a bun, and then wrestle it down, and then put it into a braid for night time. I don't really need to handle my hair at all if I'm smart. All I have to do is detangle in the shower with loads of conditioner. Let it hair dry. Put it in a silk scrunchie and FORGET about it! :D Put it in a silk bonnet at night and that's it. I'm done with touching my hair.:heart: It's not rocket science. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box but I'll get there, God willing. :toast:

Yes, I came to a similar conclusion about the care and feeding of my own cobwebs, haha!! My specifics are different than yours but the guiding principle is the same - minimal intervention ;) The less I do with/to/for my hair, the happier it is!

Congrats to you on unlocking a key secret to your own mane! It's a freeing feeling, isn't it? :)

meteor
November 23rd, 2016, 09:26 AM
Annalouise, congratulations on having that awesome a-ha moment! :cheer: Isn't it awesome when we find what works? :D

I agree with everyone on the importance of silky materials - they are a godsend and silky pillowcases/bonnets/scarves make a huge difference in the morning. :cloud9:

Meteor ~ I didn't know M/C hair could be cobweb hair?:confused: I always thought cobweb hair pertained to fine hair that was wurly/curly? Gossamer has a gorgeous head of hair! It looks rather straight though. Again, I thought cobweb hair was wurly/curly hair?

Who knows? If your hair acts like a cobweb then its a cobweb! ;)

I have lots of super fine hair on the sides (that hair even looks noticeably lighter in color, too), but we don't have a F/M/C option in stats on TLHC, so I put M/C, since that seems my dominant type, but I'm not even 100% sure if that's correct (I don't know my exact strand measurements in microns). My finer strands definitely tangle *a lot* more than the remainder of the hair, despite my constant focus on them while detangling. They also don't seem to grow as long and I can break them a lot more easily.

Fine hair is probably harder to detangle without breakage:

In addition to the size of the broken fibers, there is also a need to mention the thickness. As has been shown, there is a squared relationship between the radius of a fiber and the applied stress, and an exponential relationship between the stress and the propensity for breakage. Therefore, theory suggests a considerably higher tendency for breakage of fine fibers within a tress during the performing of such experiments. While we did not specifically generate data to test this presumption, general experimental observations do appear to be in agreement.
(A statistical analysis of hair breakage. II. Repeated grooming experiments - http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2010/cc061n06/p00439-p00456.pdf, p. 454)

Oh, and I shared gossamer's video on detangling while undoing the braid as an example of a good detangling trick for separating tangles section by section on very long hair. Of course, I have no idea if her stunning mane has any cobwebby tendencies on not. I just think it's just a great detangling tip and it works really well for me. :)

One more thing I forgot to mention is that when I undo the braid and plan to redo it again, I make sure to keep the same 3 sections separate (one over each shoulder, one along the back) as I'm detangling them. This helps "break down" the thickness and attack each section better.
I do think that thickness of hair is an important factor, making detangling harder.

The shape and size of tresses would also be expected to have an influence, with higher grooming forces being encountered when combing or brushing a thicker mass of hair. In addition, fiber dimensions and the degree of curvature may also be expected to alter the grooming forces.
(A statistical analysis of hair breakage. II. Repeated grooming experiments - http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2010/cc061n06/p00439-p00456.pdf, p. 444)

That same study also found a *massive* reduction in breakage due to conditioning, both on virgin and bleached hair (obviously, the positive effect of conditioning on bleached and 3 x bleached hair was much greater than on virgin hair). (See pp. 449 - 452, Figures 7 - 11.)

As for curliness, I'd imagine curly hair should intuitively be more tangle-prone, but I don't know for sure, to be honest. I've only seen one small study on this
(Why does curly hair get less tangled than straight hair? by J-B. Masson, Am. J. Phys. 75, 701 (2007); http://dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.2733683), and it actually had counter-intuitive findings: i.e. more tangles in straighter hair, both in an experiment (where hairdressers were counting tangles while defining resistance to tangles themselves) and in a statistical model (where, even though curly strands met more often than straight strands, the angle at which two straight hairs met was the angle most likely to lead to tangling).

I think it's only one study, and it was very limited and it is not enough to make any judgment yet, and it did state:
New experiments should be conducted and the model refined. For example, experiments should be extended to take into account the nature of the hair thick, thin, dry, etc., the position of tangles, and other hair properties such as flexibility. Experiments, directly modifying the properties of the hair, could also be performed. Corresponding to these experiments, the probability of crossing should be introduced to take into account some of the properties of the hair, and the exact angle of crossing should be considered. Curly hair could be modeled by a more complex function, and the natural change of hair curliness along its length could be considered. A more realistic model should consider the flexibility of the hair, and so the model should use curvilinear coordinates s, the local base evolution s,n,b, and probably involve integration over all the paths that the hair could have taken. (http://scitation.aip.org/content/aapt/journal/ajp/75/8/10.1119/1.2733683, p. 705)

littlestarface
November 23rd, 2016, 09:48 AM
What's the difference between tangles and matted hair? Is tangled hair when it turns into a knot of hair? I know what mats are I get those all the time.

meteor
November 23rd, 2016, 10:03 AM
^ Good question. I don't know, to be honest. I always imagined matted hair to involve more interweaving (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/matted), like maybe extensive of multiple strands tangling or loosely adhering (bigger sections / more strands of hair involved) vs. a tangle as being an individual thing (possibly in some form of a knot)? :hmm:

LadyCelestina
November 23rd, 2016, 01:15 PM
Matted hair for me is something like an actual dreadlock made out of hair, that you have to break or cut hair to un-matt it, a tangle is easily undone with your fingers (or ripped out with a brush or comb, whereas you wouldn't be able to rip out a matt)... so basically what meteor said :D

Annalouise
November 23rd, 2016, 03:17 PM
Thank you school of fish! We'll see how it goes for the next year and if changes have to be made. But I think it will work.:cool:

Thanks for the references Meteor! It's quite convincing in terms of the cumulative effects of brushing long hair over the long term, or the lifespan of the hair. 1% as a potential for damaged or broken hair is significant as that is 1,000 hairs on a head of 100,000 hairs. :bigeyes: That makes me think I've made the right decision to stop brushing and combing.

Fine hair should logically be more fragile than coarse hair. What is surprising is that one study, I didn't pay to read it, that stated that straight hair is more prone to tangling. I find that a bit hard to believe. If you just imagine running a brush through curly hair versus straight hair obviously it will be easier to run it through straight hair. Doesn't that seem logical? I guess the question is how curly is the curly hair, and how dense is it?

Anyways, thanks a ton for your references...very interesting.:beerchug:

littlestarface ~ I consider matted hair to be hair that is tangled due to friction. For instance the hair that rubs on a shirt collar all day. Whereas, I consider tangles to be the result of the natural movement and placement of the hair strands. For instance the tangles that start right on the head from the small hairs that get curled around eachother.:shrug:

Llama
November 23rd, 2016, 05:10 PM
I would say I definitely have cobweb hair. I have to detangle frequently throughout the day if I am wearing it down. Otherwise this happens:

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt178/photoz_by_amy/93fae272-6d30-4489-b415-82379aa4318a_zpsgutzcodi.jpg (http://s609.photobucket.com/user/photoz_by_amy/media/93fae272-6d30-4489-b415-82379aa4318a_zpsgutzcodi.jpg.html)

I took this picture a while ago, maybe around BSL length or so. It was tangled so badly just from wearing it down all day and not brushing it enough during the day. I'm only pulling up on the top part, the rest is just all knotted together and lifting along with it.

Luckily my hair hasn't tangled quite this badly since, that was so hard to comb out lol.

littlestarface
November 23rd, 2016, 05:19 PM
That^ happened to me the other day when I went to walmart (actually it happens everytime i'm out even in a braid). My hair was in a bun this time with amish pins and woop it fell down, thank god it was in my dress tho. When I got home it was all like that ^ I had to wet mine and put in KCKT and boom smooooth hair after it dried.

Thank goodness for curly girl hair products, i'd be dead without them.

school of fish
November 23rd, 2016, 05:54 PM
I would say I definitely have cobweb hair. I have to detangle frequently throughout the day if I am wearing it down. Otherwise this happens:

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt178/photoz_by_amy/93fae272-6d30-4489-b415-82379aa4318a_zpsgutzcodi.jpg (http://s609.photobucket.com/user/photoz_by_amy/media/93fae272-6d30-4489-b415-82379aa4318a_zpsgutzcodi.jpg.html)

^^ Yes I know that tangle, I have lived that tangle!!! :P

For me, the difference between a tangle and a matt is a matter of scale and density.

A tangle with my current routine is generally a few strands stuck together as if they have a light glue on them at the point of contact. Removing a tangle for me really isn't a terrible chore for the most part - just requires a gentle hand and a bit of patience. They're a daily occurance for me but they come apart pretty easily so long as I Tangle Teeze a few times throughout the day.

A matt generally ensnares more strands, and those strands are interlocked back and forth, like they've been felted. I almost never get these anymore since I don't let tangles get out of hand anymore but I used to get them every so often at the nape of my neck in winter from scarf friction. They would come out with gentle handling and patience as well - just with a higher dose of each than required for a tangle, haha!!

Annalouise
November 23rd, 2016, 05:58 PM
Llama ~ That looks like a friction tangle from your hair rubbing against your clothing.shudder: That is not *quite the same thing I imagined when I spoke of cobweb hair, although I'm sure you have cobweb hair also. Your hair is obviously very prone to tangling with it being fine and having a wave.
What kind of fabric was the shirt you wore that day?

When I think of cobweb hair, I should have taken a picture of it, ... if I brush out my hair, so its as brushed and as organized as humanly possible...if I then take my fingers and rake my hair from the scalp down I can't move my hand through the hair as the hair automatically goes into a cobweb pattern even after brushing it. It is this inability to run one's fingers through one's hair even after brushing and combing it, that I refer to as COBWEB. If I put my fingers into the hair around my head, and then hold the hair up and out, it just looks like a giant cobweb.

Everyone's hair tangles or gets matted. That is not the same thing as cobweb hair in my mind. Not that I'm saying you don't have cobweb hair, I'm not saying that. I just wanted to distinguish between tangles and cobwebs.:)

I'm going to have to take a picture of my cobweb hair but I made a vow to STOP running my fingers through it except with conditioner. I was going to take a picture of the cobweb yesterday and I couldn't hold the hair out and take a picture and hubby wasn't home. Maybe soon I can take a picture of it.:D

littlestarface
November 23rd, 2016, 06:02 PM
Yeah Anna I think Llama was just saying to her hair if it's not combed regularly. When I get some mats I'll show you guys a pic of my mats and a tangle which ya is like glue is in it for some strange reason lololol.

meteor
November 23rd, 2016, 06:05 PM
^^ Yes I know that tangle, I have lived that tangle!!! :P

For me, the difference between a tangle and a matt is a matter of scale and density.

A tangle with my current routine is generally a few strands stuck together as if they have a light glue on them at the point of contact. Removing a tangle for me really isn't a terrible chore for the most part - just requires a gentle hand and a bit of patience. They're a daily occurance for me but they come apart pretty easily so long as I Tangle Teeze a few times throughout the day.

A matt generally ensnares more strands, and those strands are interlocked back and forth, like they've been felted. I almost never get these anymore since I don't let tangles get out of hand anymore but I used to get them every so often at the nape of my neck in winter from scarf friction. They would come out with gentle handling and patience as well - just with a higher dose of each than required for a tangle, haha!!

^ :agree: I get those, too, especially around the nape/neck area if I wear warm scarves, jackets, turtlenecks or dare wear hair down :scared:... What helps me in wintertime (when clothes are made of static- & tangle-inducing materials) is wearing *two* scarves: a silky one (touching hair) under the warmer one. I know I can also line hats with silk satin (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2011/12/lining-winter-hats.html), but I can't really fit hats over my hair anyway.

I also slide sweaters over hair only when it's contained and covered with a silky scarf/bonnet and that really helps avoid matting and static, as well. I think I have to use a lot of little tangle-dodging tricks, or else I'd have to spend hours detangling hair. :lol:

meteor
November 23rd, 2016, 06:18 PM
When I think of cobweb hair, I should have taken a picture of it, ... if I brush out my hair, so its as brushed and as organized as humanly possible...if I then take my fingers and rake my hair from the scalp down I can't move my hand through the hair as the hair automatically goes into a cobweb pattern even after brushing it. It is this inability to run one's fingers through one's hair even after brushing and combing it, that I refer to as COBWEB. If I put my fingers into the hair around my head, and then hold the hair up and out, it just looks like a giant cobweb.

Yes, those are annoying, I've always had this problem, but it's definitely even more pronounced at greater lengths now. I'm always stunned when I see how in hair commercials hair is brushed in one single stroke from roots to ends or when every single hairdresser I went to assumed they could just rake a dense brush through my wet hair - the brush (painfully) stopped right at the roots and wouldn't budge down in that state. And my hair (or should I say, my tight tangles) even broke a couple flimsy brushes this way.
Needless to say, I don't use brushes. WT combs and long afro picks can be great though. :)

Annalouise
November 23rd, 2016, 06:19 PM
You guys can't have your hair rubbing against clothing. That will not work. :shake: Unless you are wearing silk or smooth fabric.:p

Llama
November 23rd, 2016, 07:34 PM
I was just showing what my cobweb hair can turn into if not detangled... I'm not saying that was a cobweb- that was a freaking birds nest lol.
I am not sure what I was wearing since that picture was taken so long ago, but I usually wear comfortable fabrics like cotton.
I'm sorry but I'm not going to be that weirdo wearing silk clothes every day haha. I don't think I have any silk clothing to be honest.

Yeah Anna I think Llama was just saying to her hair if it's not combed regularly. When I get some mats I'll show you guys a pic of my mats and a tangle which ya is like glue is in it for some strange reason lololol.

We should start a tangle picture thread haha :p

Annalouise
November 23rd, 2016, 07:38 PM
Meteor ~ I hope to have those problems one day. The problems associated with FTL! :D:pray:

Annalouise
November 23rd, 2016, 07:41 PM
I was just showing what my cobweb hair can turn into if not detangled... I'm not saying that was a cobweb- that was a freaking birds nest lol.
I am not sure what I was wearing since that picture was taken so long ago, but I usually wear comfortable fabrics like cotton.
I'm sorry but I'm not going to be that weirdo wearing silk clothes every day haha. I don't think I have any silk clothing to be honest.

LOL! :p You know what though, have you ever seen those quilted Chinese jackets that are made out of satin? That would be really nice.:D

grenadine
November 24th, 2016, 08:16 AM
My hairdresser says I have spiderweb hair :rolleyes: It's so fine and floaty that it just tangles on itself and you can't run a brush through it. I've found that finger detangling before brushing really helps, and I always oil with a coney serum (Loreal Oleo or OGX Coconut Oil at the moment) and use It's a 10 Spray before even trying to detangle. As much as I'd love to be cone free, I think they're really critical for my hair type because otherwise the mechanical damage is insane. Wearing it up a lot and braiding before bed helps too, and I'm thinking of investing in one of those silk caps now that I'm single and no one will see it :p.

Annalouise
November 24th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Grenadine ~ welcome to the spiderweb hair club. :D I think this is exactly why cones were invented and why they are found in 95% of hair products because they do protect the strands and make it easier to go through tangle prone hair.
I failed using them though. I think its because they built up so fast, and I wasn't removing them effectively. So they caused split ends for me.
Perhaps if I was smarter and shampooed the length once a week with a sulphate shampoo I could have avoided that problem. Fine hair is very quickly damaged by product build up, as I'm sure you know. :wink:
Great job getting a silk cap! I just recently started sleeping on silk and it is better than cotton no doubt about it.:)
Grenadine, you are one step ahead of me. I wish I was doing that when I was at bsl. Using product to get through the hair is really smart.
Now I am doing that. I bought a leave-in/detangler for the FIRST time just last week!! (It's cone free though, but at least I can slather it on the hair and let the product do the work for me.)

littlestarface
November 24th, 2016, 11:06 AM

Hahahah we should. Hell I aint wearing silk everyday, I have to cook and clean and oh hell no my best clothes aint getting dirty LOL!

Cones don't work for me never, I tried it so many times and every time they leave my hair greasy, flat, no wave at all and this is only after 1 time use. No thanks I like my hair to breath not be coated in plastic trash ha!

Kinky curly and shea moisture make good cone free products for my mat/tangle prone hair. I'm gonna try giovanni too n see how that does with my hair.

lapushka
November 24th, 2016, 03:55 PM

Yep, that's what I do. I dry detangle (comb/brush) once a week, right before a wash. Then I wash and my hairthingie catches more hair. Then after it comes out of the towel, I detangle once more (comb only) and then go on to styling it. After that, on Monday I leave it basically alone, then on Tuesday and the days after I finger detangle. It means I "separate" the strands, I split my hair into two sections, and those sections into three, this to get the sheds out during the week as best I can (over the sink). This way, there's barely hair around from me. If my mom finds one or two hairs on the tiles for the entire week, it's a lot!

pailin
November 24th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Mine is pretty cobwebby. Very fine and silky, but it tangles itself. That's why my hair used to destroy combs and brushes. First I stopped using any brush but a vent brush (because of the wide space between bristles) and now I only use a wide tooth comb or my fingers. I even had one brush crack apart into pieces in my hand, because it's like it retangles behind the brush.

littlestarface
November 24th, 2016, 06:06 PM
Nothing beats fingers for detangling that's for sure.

Annalouise
November 25th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Yep, that's what I do. I dry detangle (comb/brush) once a week, right before a wash. Then I wash and my hairthingie catches more hair. Then after it comes out of the towel, I detangle once more (comb only) and then go on to styling it. After that, on Monday I leave it basically alone, then on Tuesday and the days after I finger detangle. It means I "separate" the strands, I split my hair into two sections, and those sections into three, this to get the sheds out during the week as best I can (over the sink). This way, there's barely hair around from me. If my mom finds one or two hairs on the tiles for the entire week, it's a lot!

lapushka ~ :)I'm going to bail on "dry detangling". This is too dangerous for me. I'm going to detangle only with my fingers, WITH conditioner or leave in of some kind smoothed on the hair. Or in the shower with conditioner. Either way, the dry detangling has to go for me. Bye Bye!!:p Have you tried detangling with conditioner applied to the hair to help the tangles to slip out?

Mine is pretty cobwebby. Very fine and silky, but it tangles itself. That's why my hair used to destroy combs and brushes. First I stopped using any brush but a vent brush (because of the wide space between bristles) and now I only use a wide tooth comb or my fingers. I even had one brush crack apart into pieces in my hand, because it's like it retangles behind the brush.

Smart! Sounds like a good plan. I know what you mean by the cobwebs wrapping around the brush and eating it. This is how cobweb hair behaves, it doesn't BEHAVE! :p Bad! Bad cobwebs!:D

Nothing beats fingers for detangling that's for sure.

Amen to that!;) I can feel those suckers and get ahead of them before they make that HORRIBLE "SNAP" sound...shudder:

littlestarface
November 26th, 2016, 06:47 PM
A tangle? http://i.imgur.com/lE1lE2u.jpg

This I get after I wake up at the base of my neck, easy to untangle but will mat after a day if I don't detangle.

Annalouise
November 26th, 2016, 07:50 PM
littlestarface ~ how do you sleep with your hair? And how do you remove that tangle in the morning?

littlestarface
November 26th, 2016, 07:56 PM
littlestarface ~ how do you sleep with your hair? And how do you remove that tangle in the morning?

I sleep with a crown braid and a silk bonnet. I just gently pull apart with my fingers.

meteor
November 26th, 2016, 08:01 PM
^ Personally, I'd experiment with a coronet braid (a.k.a. faux crown braid) instead of a crown braid in that case, just because real crown braids require so much on-scalp sectioning that it's really easy to get tangles from that manipulation alone.
And if the tangles happen right at the nape, maybe doing 2 pigtail braids (side by side), and maybe pinning them around (if really needed) can help, because the thickness in the back will be split in two, at least? :hmm:

littlestarface
November 26th, 2016, 08:03 PM
^ Personally, I'd experiment with a coronet braid (a.k.a. faux crown braid) instead of a crown braid in that case, just because real crown braids require so much on-scalp sectioning that it's really easy to get tangles from that manipulation alone.
And if the tangles happen right at the nape, maybe doing 2 pigtail braids (side by side), and maybe pinning them around (if really needed) can help, because the thickness in the back will be split in two, at least? :hmm:

Nah it's all the same from any hair style. I used to do 2 double dutch braids, single braid and it was actually worst for me I would get loads of them when I woke up. Crown braid is actually saving my hair as I am perfecting it now and not even getting any tangles when I debraid and rebraid.

meteor
November 27th, 2016, 12:01 PM
^ Sounds great, littlestarface! :D

Speaking of different ways of containing hair for sleep, I also love sleeping with braided hair. At least that keeps length sectioned. I kind of coil the braid and cover it with silky material. Or I just take out the stick from my daily braided bun and sleep on that (also covered). Usually, the braid is almost intact by the morning this way, if I don't move too much.

Another interesting option for people who don't like braids is to band hair for the night or place the length (straight, without bunching it up) above head on silky material in the groove between the pillow and the headboard.
I think there are lots of good options out there, a lot depends on hair type, but also how we sleep and what kind of texture we want to wake up with in the morning. :)

Annalouise
November 27th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I have heard some say that sleep caps can rub the hairline at the back and cause a tangle. I don't know if that's true or not as I've never worn a sleep cap. I would think with silk that wouldn't happen.
I sleep on a silk pillowcase but I'm still figuring out what to do with the length. I am thinking about using a silk scrunchie to hold my hair on top of my head. Either that or get a silk sleep cap.

littlestarface
November 27th, 2016, 01:02 PM
I have heard some say that sleep caps can rub the hairline at the back and cause a tangle. I don't know if that's true or not as I've never worn a sleep cap. I would think with silk that wouldn't happen.
I sleep on a silk pillowcase but I'm still figuring out what to do with the length. I am thinking about using a silk scrunchie to hold my hair on top of my head. Either that or get a silk sleep cap.

If I was you i'd get a silk scrunchy and pineapple it on top of my head and sleep that way or a simple braid since you have a silk pillowcase anyway. I got a silk scrunchy and it's very nice but I messed it up abit cuz it accidently went into my chanel no5 powder and it looks crinkled now hahaha anyone have any tips to uncrinkle it?

meteor
November 27th, 2016, 01:47 PM

I'd try a few different options and see what works best. ;)
Personally, I loosely wrap silky material over just the braided bun (or coiled braid) and I think this really helps prevent that risk of rubbing on the hairline. Half the time I wake up with the material off my head, but that's OK, at least there is no tightness or pulling. Sleeping on silky smooth pillowcase or with a silk scarf placed above the pillow (where the hair is placed on top) could also help.

Annalouise
November 27th, 2016, 02:58 PM
littlestarface ~ No, I've never even washed my silk scarf yet so I don't know.:shrug:

Meteor ~ I'll build a silk fortress!:queen: That should solve the problem..:p