PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil against SD (Seborrheic Dermatitis)?

maxa
November 22nd, 2016, 10:34 AM
Apparently it has been shown to help reduce excess yeast, microbes and fungus that can lead to irritation, too much oiliness or dryness. https://draxe.com/coconut-oil-for-skin/

I do find it weird how an oil is supposed to prevent oiliness of the scalp ... by applying it to the scalp. lol.

lapushka
November 22nd, 2016, 10:36 AM
I can't use any oil on my scalp, or my SD flares-up like a beast.

I find it odd that stuff like this even exists when there are plenty of medicated shampoos out there.

BTW, how was your doctor's visit?

maxa
November 22nd, 2016, 11:34 AM
I can't use any oil on my scalp, or my SD flares-up like a beast.

I find it odd that stuff like this even exists when there are plenty of medicated shampoos out there.

BTW, how was your doctor's visit?

Well I'm going tomorrow, I'm also buying some Tea tree oil just in case what the doctor prescribes doesn't help. In the mean time, a ball pointed comb + 50 50 water ACV, is really making the itching go away. It lasts for a good 6 hours, then I have to reapply the same treatment. I'm also going to buy some Dead sea salt and a Aloe vera plant.

Decoy24601
November 22nd, 2016, 11:37 AM
I would strongly suggest that if you want to do any "home remedies" in conjunction with the treatment that you get your doctor's opinion first.

vampyyri
November 22nd, 2016, 11:57 AM
I would strongly suggest that if you want to do any "home remedies" in conjunction with the treatment that you get your doctor's opinion first.

^this. I would seriously stop messing with it, you could be making it worse and cause permanent scarring/trauma/hair loss.

It's not worth trying to go the natural route with this, this is a medical condition (which fyi, is a doctor's job to help you with).

This must be the 4th or so post I've seen you make about this... stop avoiding the doctor (what happened to your Monday appointment...?), it's out of your hands.

mizukitty
November 22nd, 2016, 12:55 PM
I personally don't think there is much of a chance that the prescription antifungal won't work. When I suffered for months, it completely stopped the itching within the DAY. Like, I woke up the next morning with a 95% normal scalp. Another wash completely did it. Stuff like this is where I prefer modern medicine to homeopathic.. I just don't like to mess with my health... Hope you feel better soon.

Obsidian
November 22nd, 2016, 01:11 PM
Before I was diagnosed with SD, I tried tea tree oil. It would help reduce the itch but it never actually helped stop or heal the sores. I also tried vinegar and a variety of other home remedies, nothing works long term.

First time I used my Rx shampoo (selenium sulfide based) the sores healed in a couple days and the itch was gone almost immediatly. Now I only get itchy if I don't keep my scalp clean or I use a irritating product. I've not had a full blow itch until I bleed flare in over a year.

maxa
November 22nd, 2016, 01:37 PM
I haven't tested it yet, but I believe if one were to rinse the scalp clean with dead sea salt, and then apply a mixture of aloe vera, ACV and Tea tree oil, one could really destroy the fungus, whilst feeding the scalp with nutrients. It's just I don't know what funguses live off, would Aloe vera make the SD worse? Hard to say. I'll ask my doctor tomorrow.

Obsidian
November 22nd, 2016, 01:48 PM
No, aloe won't make it worse but it won't really help either. Fungus feeds off of oils and dead skin, thats why its so important to keep your scalp clean and not put a bunch of stuff on it. The thing about SD is you can't cure it, you will never be able to "get rid" of the fungus. The best you can hope for it to keep the fungus at normal levels so it won't flare.

lapushka
November 22nd, 2016, 02:17 PM
I haven't tested it yet, but I believe if one were to rinse the scalp clean with dead sea salt, and then apply a mixture of aloe vera, ACV and Tea tree oil, one could really destroy the fungus, whilst feeding the scalp with nutrients. It's just I don't know what funguses live off, would Aloe vera make the SD worse? Hard to say. I'll ask my doctor tomorrow.

The key here is to work with your doctor. If you're not prepared to go back when things don't help, then don't bother. :no: If something doesn't work, the key is then to go BACK to the doctor, tell him or her that it did *not* work and ask for further advice from said doctor. That's how you'll get to the bottom of this.

I honestly wish you would stop asking us for advice on how to deal with this, because it is... so hard to have to read this. Only a doctor can help you!

Good luck on your appointment, and yes what happened to Monday's appointment?

littlestarface
November 22nd, 2016, 02:22 PM
I tried doing these treatments on my youngest son and none of those helped, they actually made it worst. What you need to do is put some medicated/strong shampoo on your scalp and let it sit there for like 3-5mins, then it'll clear up that crap off of your scalp.

Shorty89
November 22nd, 2016, 03:36 PM
I understand the urging to go to a doctor and I'm usually the first to urge someone to go, but depending on exactly what is going on with your scalp, home remedies might work best. I have scalp eczema and tried a couple prescriptions from my doctor. They helped a little bit, but also made my hair extremely greasy. I found that using an ACV rinse when I had weeping eczema and dabbing coconut oil on the flaking bits helped. Also, scritching well while in the shower helps me. But, it really depends on you, your scalp and your exact condition. for my eczema, I need more moisture, not less so harsh shampoos don't help and the anti-fungal didn't do much (not sure why). I'd bring up natural remedies with your doctor. They might think you're nuts (mine did with the ACV). But, it is about what works best for you.

Decoy24601
November 22nd, 2016, 04:43 PM
I understand the urging to go to a doctor and I'm usually the first to urge someone to go, but depending on exactly what is going on with your scalp, home remedies might work best. I have scalp eczema and tried a couple prescriptions from my doctor. They helped a little bit, but also made my hair extremely greasy. I found that using an ACV rinse when I had weeping eczema and dabbing coconut oil on the flaking bits helped. Also, scritching well while in the shower helps me. But, it really depends on you, your scalp and your exact condition. for my eczema, I need more moisture, not less so harsh shampoos don't help and the anti-fungal didn't do much (not sure why). I'd bring up natural remedies with your doctor. They might think you're nuts (mine did with the ACV). But, it is about what works best for you.
Yes, but scalp eczema is extremely different than SD. The point is that the OP still needs to get this diagnosed by a doctor and get a doctor's opinion *before* trying at home experiments.

Deborah
November 22nd, 2016, 05:04 PM
Yes, but scalp eczema is extremely different than SD. The point is that the OP still needs to get this diagnosed by a doctor and get a doctor's opinion *before* trying at home experiments.

Yep. Eczema is an entirely different skin condition. Maxa needs her doctor's help, not advice from us.

Shorty89
November 22nd, 2016, 05:12 PM

I'm aware. I guess that was supposed to be implicit in my post. In my case, my doctor was a student doctor (long story) and wasn't sure which it was SD or eczema. So, I tried a couple things, including dandruff type shampoo. My scalp's reaction to the different types of treatments (needing moisture as opposed to needing to be stripped pretty clean) lead me to believe it was eczema. My actual (non-student) doctor concurred. But yes, get a diagnosis, and then go from there.

CindyOfTheOaks
November 22nd, 2016, 05:28 PM
What a mess.
Please, see your doctor.
No one can even begin to guess what treatment to use until the issue is diagnosed.
What may be good for one thing could not be good for another and make things worse.
Messing around with home remedy after home remedy could end up being hazardous ( and disastrous )

lapushka
November 23rd, 2016, 06:31 AM
Please keep us updated on your doctor's visit, OP! :)
I'm curious as to how it went.