PDA

View Full Version : Ends get dry from being in a bun

cassidy_2711
November 21st, 2016, 06:12 PM
Every time I bun or braid my hair the ends get super dry or frizzy. If I just leave my hair down they stay fine. What is the cause of this, how can I solve this, and does this happen to anyone else?

ephemeri
November 21st, 2016, 06:25 PM
How are you securing your bun?
Are you tucking the ends?
Are you putting any products in that might make the ends dry? (For instance, some people find coconut oil can do this.)

cassidy_2711
November 21st, 2016, 06:33 PM
I use jojoba oil and a hair tie. Its one of those hair ties that is almost like a ribbon if you know what I mean. I think it's a ribbon elastic. Would making sure the ends are tucked in help? I don't really know if I do that, I just throw it up.

ephemeri
November 21st, 2016, 06:38 PM
If you're able to tuck them, it can help protect them. The ends need the most protecting. :o

You might try using a hair stick, hair fork, or some pins (straight or spin pins) instead of a hair tie as these will be a bit more gentle. I wish I could be more help!

cassidy_2711
November 21st, 2016, 06:41 PM
Thanks! I will try that.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 21st, 2016, 07:11 PM
Its the hair tye. My ends stopped acting like that when I started using sticks to hold my buns up.

jfg1987
November 21st, 2016, 07:19 PM
My ends looove being bunned up with hair sticks. I remember bunning with elastics before I cut my hair off and my ends were always dry and brittle.

cassidy_2711
November 21st, 2016, 07:20 PM
So sticks for buns, but what should I do about a braid? And another question why do hair ties do that, it's so strange?

Annalouise
November 21st, 2016, 07:25 PM
This happens to me also. What hair type are you? The other day I spritzed my hair with distilled water and put it in a bun and when I took it down it was TANGLE CITY! I forgot that's why I don't spritz my hair with water on day two.:rolleyes:
(I wear the same bun all the time so its not the bun or the barrette I use).
To be honest, I'm really not sure what is going on. I walk a fine line with tangles.:D

cassidy_2711
November 21st, 2016, 07:30 PM
I'm not sure what hair type I am to be honest. I have fine hair strands, but a lot of hair. It is also wavy but will straighten out until I wash it again. I get split ends super easy. I noticed that between washes my ends dry out until I wash it again.

Annalouise
November 21st, 2016, 07:49 PM
That sounds like a similar hair type to mine. Our hair needs moisture and that is why it likes to be washed. You would probably benefit from using a deep conditioner as opposed to a regular conditioner when you condition your hair and concentrate on the ends. If you slather on deep conditioner and then put on a shower cap for a few minutes it helps to let it soak into your hair.
Also, when you do wear your hair up in a bun do NOT twist your hair. It causes massive tangles for me. Just wrap the length around the center.

You probably have to experiment to find out what level of moisture keeps your hair happy. I feel my hair gets dry very quickly and when dry it will tangle. I wish I could be more help but I'm not even very good at managing my own hair to be honest. :p:)

EbonyCurls
November 22nd, 2016, 12:57 AM
I always lightly oil and soak my ends in water, and then tuck it into the bun after combing it smooth. The ends are always, well not always but most of the time ha ha, supple and moisturized when they come out of the bun. For a braid I always leave a 2 to 3 inch tassel which I soak and smother in leave in conditioner soaking wet, then I comb it smooth and wrap it around my finger to make a little bit of a contained curl and I do not touch it until it dries. That helps keep it smooth when it's down.

Annalouise
November 22nd, 2016, 10:54 AM
EbonyCurls ~ So which is better for you? Leave in conditioner or oiling the ends? Do you not find that when you re-wet your ends, and put oil on them, and then bun them that they come out stuck together in a mess? I guess that is why you comb the oil through the ends to try and prevent them from sticking together. Still, I think for myself this would still make the ends stiff and clumped.

This is the problem with my hair and you can tell me if you have this problem or not - the problem with bunning for me is that whatever form I put my hair into it's going to stay like that. So when I bun damp hair that is oiled, and then put it in a bun, when I take my hair out it will just sit in a big nasty clump. I have to manually pull it out of that bun form and that causes tangles...

I think this might be what the OP is experiencing. Is that the hair comes out of the bun tangled and clumped together and dry and stiff.
Whereas, if we wear our hair down all day it stays like that. There is no WRESTLING :slap:with it to try and make it change to another direction later in the day.

So, if I wash and dry my hair after the shower. And my hair is dry, and then I wrap it in a bun with as little manipulation as possible... it will come out of the bun better than if I oiled or wet the hair to damp bun it. It's as if the water and oil act as cement. Mind you my hair will be less curly.

I know it sounds weird. But I can't understand it. That is why I tend to do better without any oils or re wetting of the hair and leaving it alone as much as possible. I don't know if this is a 2c hair thing, or if the 3's get this too? Does this happen to you at all?:)

You know those commercials where the girl takes her bun out and her hair FALLS down her back and lands perfectly straight? Hahaha, yeah right. I take my bun out and my hair sits on my head. Then I have to PULL it down and all the while it is ONE BIG CLUMP of TANGLED mess.

I do not have the hair people have in commercials, I'll tell you that. :p

diewassermelone
November 22nd, 2016, 12:05 PM
So sticks for buns, but what should I do about a braid? And another question why do hair ties do that, it's so strange?

I second this! You can use a stick for a bun but what about braids?
My guess as to why it happens is the hair ties are rubbing the hair shaft a bit, although that doesn't entirely explain why my entire ends are dry after being braided.

truepeacenik
November 22nd, 2016, 12:11 PM

First, welcome to the forums!

I get some dryness with braid tassel, but I find oiling on barely damp ends helps. On non wash days, I spritz water on the tassel after braiding, oil it very lightly and go about my day.
I like the ribbon elastics for braids.

EbonyCurls
November 22nd, 2016, 01:03 PM
Annalouise See, when my hair goes up in a bun it's updos from there on out until the next wash day. Once I brush my hair out I don't wear it down again.

Correct, I comb the very ends of my hair before putting it into the bun as that keeps it all in one direction and prevents tangling. I also wrap the last several inches of my ends around the bun which further keeps it in place, both the bun and the hair. I rarely wear my hair down in a braid, but when I do I use leave in on the tassel because my leave in doubles as a styling cream so it works better for sculpting the tassel and holding the shape and ends together. Since I don't need hold on the ends when I bun I just use oil.

I never put oil on wet hair rather I dampen or spray hair that I just brushed oil through. And I net never wear it loose once I have oiled it. I use oiling as purely a method of keeping it moisturized, a.k.a. holding the water in, while in an updo style until
next wash day. LOL I could never let my hair fall down out of the bun. It clumps down, but because I brushed it ahead of time it just takes a quick light brushing to get it sorted again before a wash. But I don't get tangles from wearing it up after brushing and oil. I get tangles if I skip brushing and oiling, and just put it up while it is still curly.

cassidy_2711
November 22nd, 2016, 05:03 PM
I'm hoping the dryness of my ends goes away after I grow out my damaged henna ends. I have about 6 inches grown out so it'll take about two more years until it's all gone for the length I want my hair to be at. I will try the tip about misting my hair for a braid.

Annalouise
November 22nd, 2016, 07:18 PM
Ebonycurls ~ Ooohh. I see. You brush your hair BEFORE putting it up. And you oil your hair dry, then brush it through, then, ...I'm not sure what the spritzing of water is for, but you spritz your hair, then brushed and oiled and sprayed with water, it goes into a bun.
That is interesting. I've never brushed my hair before putting it in a bun. Maybe that is why it comes out tangled. :hmm::)

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 22nd, 2016, 07:36 PM

Hair ties do that because of pressure. The pressure is applied to the ends of hair which causes breakage and breakage usually leads to dryness and other things.
I get the most breakage when I use ties, and I think its because of the pressure. The best thing for braids is to use the most protective kind of ties; so no elastics.

I love braids but because of the damage that the elastics do to my ends, I find myself doing them less often.