PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the oil out?

Obsidian
November 21st, 2016, 11:33 AM
I know many of you oil regularly, often heavily overnight. How in the heck do you get all that oil out? I just did a coconut milk soak for a hour and after two washes with clarifying shampoo, I was still oily enough I could run my finger through my hair and get enough oil to apply to my skin. I ended up having to use dawn dish soap to get all the oil out, something I hate to do as I know it dries my hair.

I don't know if oil just sticks to my hair extra good or what but I'll never use oil again, not even small amounts. I don't have a problem with using a little oil on my ends but it doesn't really do anything besides taming frizz and silicone serums work better for that.

Makes me feel like a odd ball, not being able to use oil that is supposed to be so wonderful for hair:(

Oh and the smell, how long will this rotten vomit scent from the canned coconut milk last? Its mostly gone but I can still get a whiff here and there. Hopefully once my hair dries it won't be noticeable.

littlestarface
November 21st, 2016, 11:41 AM
Oh man, a good soaking for 30mins or longer(cuz im lazy) in conditioner does the trick for me and I super douse in heavy oil on my hair. Then I wash my scalp with shampoo and let it sit for like a couple of mins with the conditioner still on length. Honey and conditioner always take out super heavy oil that's for sure.

genuinewicked
November 21st, 2016, 11:52 AM
I used to have that same problem, but have thankfully found a solution!

I oil my hair for a full day - I apply in the morning, wear up all day, then wash in the evening. What works for me is applying a generous layer of conditioner to my hair before getting my hair wet. After my oiled hair is full of conditioner, I soak it in the bath tub to get all the conditioner out. Then I shampoo, soak in the bath, and then do another condition, and soak in the bath. This gets all the oil out for me, and leaves my hair feeling so soft and moisturized. When I just try to shower it out, or get it wet before applying conditioner, then it doesn't work at all and I still have an oily mess.

Good luck!

Zebra Fish
November 21st, 2016, 12:31 PM
Generous amount of conditioner and let it sit some time under a shower hat (at least 30-60min to as long as you want). Than proceed as normal. Oh, some lighter cone-free conditioner works best for me.

Obsidian
November 21st, 2016, 03:11 PM
I was afraid you would say conditioner. That won't work for me, just a couple minutes on my scalp will cause a SD flare.

My hair is mostly dry now and it's not it too bad of shape. Hello hydration really is a miracle worker for me.

lapushka
November 21st, 2016, 03:26 PM
I was afraid you would say conditioner. That won't work for me, just a couple minutes on my scalp will cause a SD flare.

My hair is mostly dry now and it's not it too bad of shape. Hello hydration really is a miracle worker for me.

Maybe when you oil, try to not saturate your hair with it (oil is bad for my SD as well, that's why I don't even go there). Maybe it will wash out easier then. :)

Silverbleed
November 21st, 2016, 03:58 PM
I don't have much difficulty getting it out, even with just a shampoo bar. I did figure that if it doesn't lather on the spot, it's still oily.
I also noticed the type of coconut oil seem to make a difference? I haven't figured out yet why, but I have two pots. If I apply it on my hands, one I'm able to wash off with just water and a towel and my hands are pretty much clean and dry. The second one leaves an oily layer and I'll need to use soap. So I don't use the second pot anymore. Does anyone else know why this would be?

spidermom
November 21st, 2016, 04:41 PM
I almost never get conditioner on my scalp. What I do is wait until all the hair near my scalp is oily, then I oil my length and comb/brush to distribute it evenly. To get it out, I first apply conditioner over the oil, let it soak awhile, then comb the conditioner out under running water.
Then I wash my scalp with diluted shampoo and let the suds run through the length. Sometimes I follow with a second application of conditioner as before, sometimes not.

I've also tried washing my scalp and length with diluted shampoo and letting it soak for a few minutes before rinsing it out while I comb under running water. This works, too.

Obsidian
November 21st, 2016, 05:23 PM
Maybe when you oil, try to not saturate your hair with it (oil is bad for my SD as well, that's why I don't even go there). Maybe it will wash out easier then. :)

I normally don't oil anywhere near my scalp but this was coconut milk and it got everywhere.

Oil doesn't bother my SD too bad if it's only on for a hour or so.

spidermom
November 21st, 2016, 05:31 PM
I've never tried coconut milk.

Katia_k
November 21st, 2016, 05:46 PM
Perhaps try a different oil that's not so heavy, or that has less staying power? I can't use coconut oil, or olive oil, so I use sweet almond instead, and I never have issues washing that out with just a light clarifying shampoo.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 21st, 2016, 05:53 PM
Im able to get all oil out with co washing usually.

Annalouise
November 21st, 2016, 07:41 PM
:popcorn: OMG, this thread is hillarious! The lengths people go to to get the oil OUT of their hair. :p
Dish soap? hour long soaks? Rigorous procedures. Why put it in the hair in the first place? I seriously want to know. ;)
Not to mention the... rancid vomit coconut milk smell ... lol. Too much.
This is precisely why I quit experimenting. Thanks for reminding me. :tmi:

Kirby-oh
November 21st, 2016, 08:08 PM
I've never done coconut milk, is there even oil in that? I find that fractionated coconut oil comes out with regular conditioner, just slop it through, let it sit for a few minutes and rinse out. I use a chelating shampoo as well because the timing matches up, I want to do the oil and chelating equally often. But the shampoo isn't doing all that much of the removing of oil.

Obsidian
November 21st, 2016, 08:22 PM
:popcorn: OMG, this thread is hillarious! The lengths people go to to get the oil OUT of their hair. :p
Dish soap? hour long soaks? Rigorous procedures. Why put it in the hair in the first place? I seriously want to know. ;)

Oil helps hold moisture in your hair and provides lubrication so the strands slide around better, thus reducing tangles. Obviously using too much or the wrong kind isn't good as I demonstrated. Any benefits I would have gotten from the soak, was negated from the multiple washes I had to do.

The coconut milk I used wasn't the liquid from inside the coconut, its the thick white stuff that comes in a can for cooking. It contains a bit of oil, too much for my hair obviously. I've used lighter oils like avocado and not has as much issues washing it out.

In all honesty though, I've not seen one benefit from using oil that has to be washed out. Not sure why I keep trying it, guess I keep waiting for the magic to happen but I need to face the fact that oils and me just don't get along. I'll stick to my simple poo/condish and cones.

Larki
November 21st, 2016, 08:25 PM
I don't do anything special, just shampoo and conditioner. Lots of conditioner, maybe, but I always use a ton of conditioner. :p

littlestarface
November 21st, 2016, 08:27 PM

LOL so hair can be pwetty! you should smell me after I have 2 kinds of oil in my hair not to mention my own sebum for 2 weeks peeee eww I smell disgusting, But afterwards I smell like fresh beautiful candy cane yum.. for about 2 seconds then oil it is again HA!

poli
November 23rd, 2016, 02:55 AM
I used coconut milk for a henna gloss and also in one of the shampoo bars I was testing and it was harder to get out of hair than regular coconut oil (that I use regularly). It looks like it doesn't work for you too. Maybe for some hair types the coconut milk is just too much. I know I won't be trying that again.

Salwety
November 23rd, 2016, 04:13 AM
Well it is not the first time to hear about the coconut milk issue arround here. Seems it is the hardest to get rid of.
I haven't tried it myself. I use olive oil, castor oil and almond oil mix , and not a lot of it, just 3 tablespoons. Just enough to massage the scalp and put a fine film on my hair lenght. Leave it for a couple of hours or overnight, and most of it is already gone by then. Then I co wash or use a SLS free shampoo.
May be try to condition your hair for 15 min , followed by your normal shampoo to avoid your scalp issue.
But try another oil. Don't lose faith in them, because of one bad experience.

Saldana
November 23rd, 2016, 05:29 AM
Maybe oil isn't for you? If you have alternatives which work for your hair, use those.

Eastbound&Down
November 23rd, 2016, 09:36 AM

I do CWC with Hello Hydration, I don't let it sit, just scrub and rinse. I heavy oil once a week and this method always works.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 24th, 2016, 12:56 AM
Obsidian how much coconut milk did you use. I hope not the whole can.

I did my first coconut milk soak last night. I think I used about 1/4 of a can. Before wash I applied conditioner on my hair, nothing on my scalp. Then washed out after 20 minutes.

Mirabele
November 24th, 2016, 02:20 AM
Oil washes out very easy from my hair. I usually oil my length only and as many already mentioned, apply conditioner on my length about half an hour before my wash. It washes out without using any shampoo really. If i oil my scalp, i wash it later with any shampoo.