PDA

View Full Version : Will Clarifying Shampoo Strip Color?

genuinewicked
November 21st, 2016, 11:03 AM
Hello LHC'ers! I'm a new member here and have SO many questions!

I have been dying my hair black using vegetable dye for the last 3 years. I want my natural color back and have decided to start growing it out, but don't want to0 stark of a contrast between my natural color and the black. If I use clarifying shampoo, will it strip some of the vegetable dye from my hair? My hair has a tendency to get dry (I live in Colorado, where it's cold and dry and has very low humidity), so I'm concerned about the shampoo causing damage. I'll post some photos below of the color I have now and what my natural color is. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/4Pnx2z1.jpg?1 http://i.imgur.com/FWQrE3f.jpg?1 http://i.imgur.com/U0fAVLY.jpg

Robot Ninja
November 21st, 2016, 11:15 AM
Yes, clarifying shampoo will strip your color. It won't take it all out at once though, especially if you've been layering dye for years. Mixing vitamin C tablets into the shampoo and letting it sit on your head for an hour or so will strip even more color, but is even more drying. I have heard that soaking your hair in coconut oil before you shampoo will strip even more color.

If you're concerned about dryness, do an SMT after you clarify. That should fix it right up.

lapushka
November 21st, 2016, 11:21 AM
I'm taking it's a permanent vegetable dye? How can that be?

If it's temporary, anything can take it out, provided you wait the required amount of time (x number of washes; x number of weeks) it's supposed to be in there. Doesn't have to be a clarifying shampoo in that case.

Good luck!

Obsidian
November 21st, 2016, 11:35 AM
I've heard head and shoulders works best for pulling color out. It can be even more drying then regular shampoo so make sure to get a good hydrating conditioner.

genuinewicked
November 21st, 2016, 11:46 AM
I'm taking it's a permanent vegetable dye? How can that be?

If it's temporary, anything can take it out, provided you wait the required amount of time (x number of washes; x number of weeks) it's supposed to be in there. Doesn't have to be a clarifying shampoo in that case.

Good luck!

This is what I've been using: http://images.iherb.com/l/NTT-01001-2.jpg
It's product description is "Naturtint's plant-based permanent hair color is unlike any typical at-home hair dyes. Phergal Laboratories created a formula with a botanical base, that is eco-friendly, ammonia-free, paraben-free, and vegan friendly."

I've been dying my hair regularly, every month or so, and am just now letting it grow out. I'm wondering if this will naturally fade, since I haven't ever given it a chance to before. Thanks for all the answers so far, everyone!

Obsidian
November 21st, 2016, 11:57 AM
Its not actually a vegetable dye, they use the veggy base claim to sound like a safe product when they are in fact, just another chemically laden box dye.

https://www.truthinaging.com/review/naturtint-hair-dye-reviewed-and-rejected

genuinewicked, it looks like you might be stuck with growing out dark hair. You might try a product like color oops but it doesn't always work so well with black dyes.

genuinewicked
November 21st, 2016, 12:23 PM
Its not actually a vegetable dye, they use the veggy base claim to sound like a safe product when they are in fact, just another chemically laden box dye.

https://www.truthinaging.com/review/naturtint-hair-dye-reviewed-and-rejected

genuinewicked, it looks like you might be stuck with growing out dark hair. You might try a product like color oops but it doesn't always work so well with black dyes.

Oh my gosh, I had no idea! I pride myself on eating an all natural diet and trying to use only organic, natural beauty products, but I failed to check the ingredients on the hair dye and do my research. This definitely solidifies my decision to grow out my natural color. Thank you for posting that link!

Zebra Fish
November 21st, 2016, 12:27 PM
From the ingredients list:

Color Developer 2.1 fl oz / 60 ml: Aqua purificata (purified water), hydrogen peroxide, cetyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, laureth-3, ceteareth-20, oxyquinoline sulfate.

I think that even if you could strip the colour out, if you used it every month, your hair would be lighter coz of hydrogen peroxide, not your natural colour. If you managed to get it out, you would probably need to use some dye similar to your natural colour.

Robot Ninja
November 21st, 2016, 01:18 PM
Oh, never mind then. Yeah, permanent black dye won't fade out with washing. Ask me how I know. :D A color remover such as Colorfix or Color Oops might get it out.

If you really don't like the contrast, you could use a true vegetable dye, which you don't mix with developer, on your roots. Those will fade out over multiple washes.

lapushka
November 21st, 2016, 01:20 PM
Yeah, Naturtint is a "regular" box dye. It contains no ammonia, but a lot of dyes these days no longer do, anyway. :)

You can't remove this with shampoo, sorry.

Seija
November 21st, 2016, 02:08 PM
I had more success with Color Oops than the crushed vitamin c tablets; but neither took the dye out completely, just lightened it up. I've used both to remove various Manic Panic colors from my hair, so I don't think they'll be very effective on permanents.

genuinewicked
November 21st, 2016, 03:18 PM
What is Color Oops? It's not a bleach, is it? How does it work to remove color?

lapushka
November 21st, 2016, 03:23 PM
This is their site:
http://coloroops.com/

Vallena
November 21st, 2016, 05:12 PM
Oh my gosh, I had no idea! I pride myself on eating an all natural diet and trying to use only organic, natural beauty products, but I failed to check the ingredients on the hair dye and do my research. This definitely solidifies my decision to grow out my natural color. Thank you for posting that link!

It happens to everyone! It does not help that companies are trying to trick you into thinking its a natural product.

Mrstran
November 22nd, 2016, 10:18 AM
That's why I got the dye a few days ago, thought it was safe. :doh: never again.

Anje
November 22nd, 2016, 11:38 AM
As others have said, the good thing is that with a permanent oxidative dye like this, there are remover products (not bleach, but sulfur compounds) that can get a lot of it off with little or no damage. Color Oops is the one most of us in the US find, though I've seen one or two others at pharmacies like Walgreens, near the box dyes. Colour B4 is the one I know of in the UK.

The big thing is that IF it gets all the dye out of your hair, your hair might be lighter than its original color. The peroxide that's used in the dyeing process lightens the hair at least a little. More likely though, it'll fade it substantially and give you something that you could get color-corrected back to your natural, or close enough to make the growout easier. I'd suggest leaving that to a professional.

Obsidian
November 22nd, 2016, 01:19 PM
I used color oops to try and lighten my henna awhile back. I also have black box dye at my nap, the color oops removed quite a bit black but it was hard to tell exactly due to the henna under the dye (it removed very little henna). If I had to guess, I would say it went to a medium brown, possibly lighter.

Be warned, color oops smells bad, like really rotten egg bad and it will stick around for a couple weeks. Every time your hair gets wet, you will smell it. I didn't notice it too much after a few washings but my family did. I would still use it though, a little bad smell is over quicker then having to try and grow out hair color you are unhappy with.

genuinewicked
November 22nd, 2016, 01:22 PM
I'm tempted to try Color Oops, but I'm nervous that I'll mess it up and be left with some black and some lighter/more natural color. Do those of you with MBL/WL find that you need two boxes of Color Oops, or will one do the trick?

Obsidian
November 22nd, 2016, 01:28 PM
How thick is your hair? I only have collar bone length but its thick and I need 1 and a half boxes the thoroughly saturate it all. Better to buy more boxes then you need and have to return any left over then not have enough.

Make sure you rinse as long as the directions say, even longer if you can stand it. Its the rinsing that removes the color. I usually end in in the tub so I can soak for 15 minutes then I switch to the shower so I can rinse with clean water and wash a couple times.

Anje
November 22nd, 2016, 01:45 PM
I'm tempted to try Color Oops, but I'm nervous that I'll mess it up and be left with some black and some lighter/more natural color. Do those of you with MBL/WL find that you need two boxes of Color Oops, or will one do the trick?

I tried it once to see if it would fade henna on my probably-then tailbone-length hair and used one box. My hair is roughly 3" circumference at the nape and was probably smaller than a pencil when bundled at the ends, so not particularly thick and reasonably straight, so it doesn't take a whole lot of product in general to give me coverage. It's worth saying that it seems like my hair also doesn't absorb much -- I use way less oil than most folks do or else I get greasy-looking hair.

Seija
November 22nd, 2016, 01:49 PM

When I used it, it definitely left me with various patches of color/lightness, but I also had a lot of layers of dye under there.