PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a milk hair mask instead of an egg hair mask for a protein treatment?

pamela_07
November 21st, 2016, 09:18 AM
Since we all know that egg smells funky, can I do a just as good protein hair mask with milk and a little cornstarch to thicken it up and make the texture creamy and not drippy. will this work as well protein wise than an egg hair mask, or egg is better? Tell me what ideas you have or tips!!;):o:o:confused:

If you have another protein treatment recipes let me know as well!!

Hairkay
November 21st, 2016, 09:45 AM
Since we all know that egg smells funky, can I do a just as good protein hair mask with milk and a little cornstarch to thicken it up and make the texture creamy and not drippy. will this work as well protein wise than an egg hair mask, or egg is better? Tell me what ideas you have or tips!!;):o:o:confused:

If you have another protein treatment recipes let me know as well!!

Why not?

I've used yoghurt before sometimes plain and sometimes with honey and fenugreek. Honey, fenugreek and a little olive oil also work. Coconut milk works too.

spidermom
November 21st, 2016, 09:51 AM
I like Joico KPak Reconstructor as a protein treatment.

reilly0167
November 21st, 2016, 10:29 AM
I thicken my coconut milk with a bit of xanthum gum, you can get it at a grocery store usually by the gluten free/ baking aisle at Walmart, works great. What I usually add to the milk is honey, a bit of castor oil and whatever oil I fancy that time like olive or avocado.

Obsidian
November 21st, 2016, 10:52 AM
I'm pasting this from a post I responded to earlier, its a heavy duty protein treatment. If you just need a little protein, only leave it in for 5 minutes.

I really like unflavored gelatin for protein. You can buy a big box with a lot of small packages, mix a couple packages with some hot water until its well dissolved then apply to hair. I use about 1/4-1/2 cup water per pack.

The mix will be thin and sticky but do your best to get it all over your hair. Cover and leave on for 15 minutes then rinse really, really well. Use a good hydrating conditioner afterwards.

sarahthegemini
November 21st, 2016, 01:51 PM
An egg is not a protein treatment. No idea about milk but I doubt it.

Anje
November 21st, 2016, 02:09 PM
Honestly, you'll do better with proteins that are broken down to smaller bits, as short amino acid chains attach to the hair better than large whole proteins. For kitchen-y recipes, that tends to mean using things like gelatin. I've also seen people using diluted Bragg's liquid aminos, diluted low-sodium soy sauce (I've tried this one, seems nice and mild, which is better with my hair), and beer (supposedly, the yeast break down soluble proteins from the barley, though I honestly can't imagine there's that much after the hot- and cold-break proteins have precipitated out).

Robot Ninja
November 21st, 2016, 02:16 PM
Honestly, you'll do better with proteins that are broken down to smaller bits, as short amino acid chains attach to the hair better than large whole proteins. For kitchen-y recipes, that tends to mean using things like gelatin. I've also seen people using diluted Bragg's liquid aminos, diluted low-sodium soy sauce (I've tried this one, seems nice and mild, which is better with my hair), and beer (supposedly, the yeast break down soluble proteins from the barley, though I honestly can't imagine there's that much after the hot- and cold-break proteins have precipitated out).

Or you could just use gelatin and drink the beer. :D

I buy mine from a bulk-food store because it's a lot cheaper than the packets, and mix it with conditioner so it's not as runny or sticky.

Anje
November 21st, 2016, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I'm more of a beer-drinker than a beer-wearer.

lapushka
November 21st, 2016, 03:28 PM
Yep, if you want to DIY it, use gelatin. Egg protein is too large to penetrate the hair. Gelatin will do nicely.

pamela_07
November 21st, 2016, 04:49 PM
so a milk or egg hair mask does not work as well as gelatin because the protein molecules are larger and harder to penetrate on the hair?
I always thought egg was the best but honestly I cant stand the smell I would prefer milk which is protein just the same as egg, But I have know gelatin as well 3 packets left
How can I do this gelatin mask and for how long?? Thanks!

pamela_07
November 21st, 2016, 04:51 PM
How can I do the micro trim to still maintain my lower back hair lenght?