PDA

View Full Version : Two questions for you

Flipgirl24
November 20th, 2016, 10:06 PM
While in the shower today, I though of two questions I wanted to ask you all.

1. Before you apply conditioner, do you blot your hair with a towel to take out the excess water? I've been doing this for years and it works for me but I was wondering if you expert LHC'r's do this. And if not, why not?

2. After you have applied conditioner, how do you keep it out of the way when you do your other shower things?

3. (Sorry just thought of another question) I find I get pimples on my upper back and I think it is because of conditioner. Or maybe because I don't wash the length much? Do any of you experience this? And if so, how do you deal with it? I have my hair up 70%-90% of the time because of work so it isn't that the length is rubbing my back. What do you think?

Thank you in advance for your wisdom!

littlestarface
November 20th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Ha! I just did this right now in the shower, it was my first time too before I would just scrunch the water out of my hair, this time was the same except I used a towel over my palms n fingers. I thought hmm .."I dont want my DT leaking out with dripping water so i'll try this towel thingy instead of just hands"

I loose bun on top of my head and put a plastic shower cap over this. Stays put when I shave etc..

I don't personally have any on my back but what I do is I rinse my hair forward, not back toward shower head to rinse out conditioners cuz I don't want my back or chest feeling coated.

Llama
November 21st, 2016, 01:56 AM
1. Before you apply conditioner, do you blot your hair with a towel to take out the excess water? I've been doing this for years and it works for me but I was wondering if you expert LHC'r's do this. And if not, why not?

I used to do this all the time but totally forgot all about it! But yeah I do not towel blot my hair before putting on conditioner these days (not for several years). I just squeeze out the water with my hands and then apply conditioner.

2. After you have applied conditioner, how do you keep it out of the way when you do your other shower things?

I bring the length of my hair to the top of my head, give it a little twirl and then clip the part up top with an octopus clip.

3. (Sorry just thought of another question) I find I get pimples on my upper back and I think it is because of conditioner. Or maybe because I don't wash the length much? Do any of you experience this? And if so, how do you deal with it? I have my hair up 70%-90% of the time because of work so it isn't that the length is rubbing my back. What do you think?

I don't experience this problem but if you think it is because of conditioner then I would wash your body last, after rinsing out your conditioner.

:)

Crystawni
November 21st, 2016, 02:28 AM
1. No. I'm currently CO where the scalp is washed with diluted conditioner, and while that's marinating the length is squished with a thicker full-strength conditioner. For me, saturated hair helps distribute the conditioner everywhere (lots of fine hair), and as I don't need much conditioner this way, it doesn't overload and slip off my non-porous strands.

2. I twist it into a low lwb or cinnabun and secure it with an acrylic CMW spiral hair stick (one of the only things that stays in my hair, isn't too big or bulky, and is also grabbable when coated in conditioner). The low bun is so the scalp doesn't get an overdose of conditioner. :)

3. No. Backs are often a hormonal and/or sweat hot spot for spots, though. :p

Monsterkitti
November 21st, 2016, 03:19 AM

I gently squeeze out the excess water and then apply conditioner or it just drips everywhere

I have a big claw clippie that lives in my shower to pop it on the top of my head while the conditioner does its thing :)

I do what Llama suggested and usually wash my back after I've rinsed the conditioner out and put my hair back up in the clippie as my back seems clearer that way.

Obsidian
November 21st, 2016, 04:31 AM
1. I just squeeze out the excess water so it's not dropping wet.

2. Not long enough to worry about it yet but I have used a claw clip to keep it out of the way.

3. I sometimes get pimples/itchy skin on my shoulders so I always wash my body after I condition. This is when I clip my hair out of the way.

Platzhalter
November 21st, 2016, 07:14 AM

- No, but I do squeeze out most of the excess water. Doing it with a towel seems like unnecessary effort to me ;)

- Don't actually wash my hair when taking a shower so this never was an issue at all... not to mention it would hardly be in the way when doing other shower things (how would that even be possible unless it's very long?), but I usually put it into some kind of bun to not get it wet when not washing.

- Could be, but even so I doubt it's the only reason... and sorry, but I don't have any real advice on how to deal with this.

lapushka
November 21st, 2016, 07:23 AM

No, my hair is squeegeed out, so that it's not dripping, so that the conditioner adheres well to the hair. I then let my conditioner sink in for 2 min.

I'd wash the hair first, then wash the body. I'd not let shampoo or conditioner touch my skin last. That's what I did when I was a teen. I don't take showers to wash anymore. I am washed with a washcloth (European ones, the "pocket" terrycloths).

Anje
November 21st, 2016, 07:59 AM
I just run my hand down the length to squeeze out the excess water. I don't really want to use a THIRD towel. XD

I put it all in a plastic shower cap to let it marinate without it getting rinsed off.

Not a problem I've had recently, but I know some people have found that some conditioners cause acne for them. (Silicones seem to be a cause I've seen attributed to it.) What zits I get seem to be mostly hormonal, though. My skin tends to get dry easily and is pretty sensitive, and it actually likes some oil applied.

Seems like the easy way to work around conditioner-caused bacne is just to give your back a quick wash after you've rinsed out your conditioner.

vampyyri
November 21st, 2016, 09:29 AM
Huh... didn't know this was a thing. But no, I just put my conditioner into my sopping wet hair to get a more even coverage.
Seems I'm a weirdo here, I don't squeeze out the water at all :lol:

I usually just keep tossing it over each shoulder/onto my back.

I wash/condition my hair first before washing my body. I used to get this same issue, but I just save washing my back until after I rinse out my conditioner.

Mrstran
November 21st, 2016, 09:41 AM
I never wash my hair in the shower, I haven't in years. I use to though when my hair was waiste length.
When in the shower I always use to ring out my hair with my hands, apply conditioner, then tie it up. I then just kept my head out of the stream until I was done.

Now in the sink, I can towel blot first. When my hair gets long again I am going to towel blot while in the shower, just far from the stream. Personally the conditioner works better for me when I do this.

Mrstran
November 21st, 2016, 09:42 AM
I just wanted to add: I use globs of conditioner though, to make sure it gets every strand.

spidermom
November 21st, 2016, 09:53 AM
No blotting. I squeeze out excess water in a motion like milking a cow. I used to clip my hair up while I finished my shower, but it's not in the bathroom right now. I should hunt that thing down.

höpönasu
November 21st, 2016, 04:20 PM
1. No. I just quickly squeeze my hair with my hands before applying conditioner. And this is simply because I don't want to exit the shower, even for a brief moment.

2. Depends, sometimes 10 minutes when I'm shaving, sometimes 10 seconds when I'm only there to wash my hair and body.

3. I get pimples all over my upper body; face, neck, chest and back. So I'm just prone to pimples.

Vallena
November 21st, 2016, 05:17 PM
Like most people, I just kind of squeeze my hair with my hands gently to get out excess moisture.

I then throw it over my back to finish up (doesn't take me very long).

I use medicine for acne, but I would change conditioners if that was causing me back acne issues.

Alex Lou
November 21st, 2016, 06:21 PM
1. Before you apply conditioner, do you blot your hair with a towel to take out the excess water?
I just squeeze my hair out. I don't blot it.

I have a hair tie in the shower and put it in a bun on top of my head.

3. (Sorry just thought of another question) I find I get pimples on my upper back and I think it is because of conditioner. Or maybe because I don't wash the length much? Do any of you experience this? And if so, how do you deal with it?
I used to get pimples on my back and shoulders pretty bad, but I never associated it with my hair and at times I had short hair. I stopped using soap (I clean most of my skin with oil now) and I stopped breaking out. Whew! It was gross and I was so tired of feeling like I needed to cover up my shoulders when it was bad.

Saldana
November 21st, 2016, 07:22 PM
1. I kind of squeeze my hair, but I don't blot it. I just goop the conditioner into the length and kind of squoosh it around.
2. I keep a big plastic claw clip in the shower, and after I have the conditioner in my hair, I pile my hair on top of my head and clip it with the claw clip while I do shower things. Then, after I'm done with shower things, I take the clip out and rinse the conditioner out of my hair.
3. I suspect it might be the conditioner....maybe apply your conditioner, then clip your hair up out of the way. You could try hanging your hair under the faucet or something to rinse conditioner, so the conditioner never really touches or runs down your back, maybe that will help?

Flipgirl24
November 22nd, 2016, 05:49 AM
Thank you all for your answers! I never thought about how water would help distribute the conditioner. I use the towel i use for my hair to blot before I condition. I thought maybe it would be better absorbed if it wasn't so diluted.

And great suggestions about my bacne. I use medicine too. I have been trying to wash my back after and I condition with my head forward and my hair doesn't touch my back until I let it out of the turban. I have acne elsewhere too but sometimes the bacne goes away. So it could be hormonal. Yay. It would be so much easier if it was the conditioner.

Alex Lou, what oil do you use to cleanse? Interesting that your bacne went away.

And interesting that some of you don't put your hair up. Mine is always in the way and it is APL or maybe a little longer.

Stepo_NiNha
November 22nd, 2016, 05:57 AM
While in the shower today, I though of two questions I wanted to ask you all.

Yes. I don't use a towel to do it (no, it's not because it's damaging but because I'm LAZY), I just squeeze out the water with my hands and it works perfectly.

I just leave it. It's only for 2 minutes. When I wash the upper back I put the hair in the front. My ponytail is only 8 cm (3.3') so it's not that hard to deal with it.

I also get pimples but sometimes I suffer with a common disease (cystic acne). Now I'm pregnant, so things tend to worsen. Maybe it's not the conditioner, the upper back, neck and face are prone to break outs due to hyper activity of sebaceous glands.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom!

Hope I can help!

ETA: I answered on reply to quote above.

umbrellabones
November 22nd, 2016, 06:10 AM

Nope! I just squeeze out most of the extra water with my hands. To be honest I haven't thought of towel blotting before reading this, I might try it, but I'm probably too lazy to make that routine.

I just keep my hair down my back when I'm washing my front and vis vera.

Do you use a conditioner with cones? I have heard of people struggling with back acne that went away when they switched to silicone free. Not saying you you should switch conditioners, just that could be a cause. Try giving your back a good scrub after you've rinsed out your conditioner :)

Shiranshoku
November 22nd, 2016, 02:29 PM

I switch it up. Sometimes I apply my prepoo conditioner to dry hair, sometimes I spritz it, sometimes I blot it slightly, ...

I make a cinnabun that I secure with a u-pin.
I usually bathe instead of showering, though.

3. I find I get pimples on my upper back and I think it is because of conditioner. Or maybe because I don't wash the length much? Do any of you experience this? And if so, how do you deal with it? I have my hair up 70%-90% of the time because of work so it isn't that the length is rubbing my back. What do you think?

I also have this when my back has been covered in conditioner. I used to have it more when I mainly showered, but it was easily controlled by scrubbing my back weekly.

MoniLein
November 22nd, 2016, 03:37 PM
1. Before you apply conditioner, do you blot your hair with a towel to take out the excess water?
I an getting my hair extra wet - the wetter, the better I can spread the conditioner

I secure it with a claw clip at the top of my head

3. (Sorry just thought of another question) I find I get pimples on my upper back and I think it is because of conditioner. Or maybe because I don't wash the length much? Do any of you experience this? And if so, how do you deal with it?
No, I don't get pimples from my hair products, but unfortunatly from my normal monthly hormonal cycle.