PDA

View Full Version : Will I ever have a crown that's NOT frizzy?

ephemeri
November 20th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Hi everyone. As I'm growing my hair out, I'm realizing a few things.

1. I shed a LOT. I've taken steps to help curtail this (I stopped co-washing, stopped oiling my scalp, stopped using castor oil in any product because that made it REALLY bad) but ... I'm still shedding a lot. I've increased protein and B vitamins in my diet. I drink tons of water (always have) and exercise regularly.

2. Because of all this shedding (I think?) I've got a ton of new growth baby hairs around my crown. They tend to stick out in all directions. I do lightly oil my hair and use moisturizing products because I'm a wavy but I also am wearing my hair in protective styles pretty much all the time... and that's when the crazy frizzy baby hairs are the most evident. Especially when my hair is clean. After a couple of days, it tends to calm down some.

- Does anyone else have this problem?
- Any advice on stopping the shedding? (I keep meaning to try coffee rinses...)
- Any advice on dealing with the crown frizzies?
- Is this just a part of living with longer hair? Should I just get used to it?
- Anyone else have this problem that eventually grew out of it or solved it somehow?

(Also, I'm 99% sure the baby hairs are new growth but... how do you tell if it's breakage? I guess that's also a possibility but my hair doesn't seem to be fragile.)

littlestarface
November 20th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Yea everyone has it it's just more evident with us wavies for some reason. You'll know it's breakage if the hair end looks blunt, if it's tapered down it's growth. I shed alot too for some strange reason, i'm trying coffee rinses but my hair shedded more after 1 use rip hair! I'm gonna wash again and try another rinse but i'm scared to death i'm gonna shed more LOL

jfg1987
November 20th, 2016, 10:26 AM
RE the crown frizzies: after I washed my hair and combed it while it was dry I was looking at my crown of frizzies and wondering the same thing. Two days later (today) I noticed they're more chill but they're still there, not sure if breakage or new growth (sometimes I tweeze them out if they look too bent out of shape, can't help it). Lately it looks like I haven't even combed my hair! Also looking for answers.

Annalouise
November 20th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Hairs that fall out naturally have a bulb at one end. :)
I smooth my head down with a boar's bristle brush. I just use it for smoothing so my head is smooth but the hair in the bun might be tangled or not, I am not brushing all the way through, I only do that on dirty hair.
If its freshly washed and little hairs are standing up you can put a tiny bit of oil on your palms and rub them together and then rub your palms over your head. I have fine hair but that slicks them down no problem.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 20th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Hairs that fall out naturally have a bulb at one end. :)
I smooth my head down with a boar's bristle brush. I just use it for smoothing so my head is smooth but the hair in the bun might be tangled or not, I am not brushing all the way through, I only do that on dirty hair.
If its freshly washed and little hairs are standing up you can put a tiny bit of oil on your palms and rub them together and then rub your palms over your head. I have fine hair but that slicks them down no problem.

Thank you for the tip Annalouise

spidermom
November 20th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Oil on my clean hair only makes the frizzies oily; it doesn't settle them down at all. For that, I use styling gel or aloe vera gel spread between wet palms, then smoothed over the surface of my hair. As long as I don't touch it or the wind doesn't hit it, that does the trick for all but the most coarse hairs. If I really want a perfected look, I use a tiny dab of styling wax or pomade or a spritz of hair spray.

vampyyri
November 20th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Oil on my clean hair only makes the frizzies oily; it doesn't settle them down at all. For that, I use styling gel or aloe vera gel spread between wet palms, then smoothed over the surface of my hair. As long as I don't touch it or the wind doesn't hit it, that does the trick for all but the most coarse hairs. If I really want a perfected look, I use a tiny dab of styling wax or pomade or a spritz of hair spray.

This was exactly what I was going to suggest, I whip my frizzies into shape with AVG. :whip:

lapushka
November 20th, 2016, 01:51 PM
If your hair is thinning out, I'd go see your doctor about it. If it is just regular shedding (no thinning), there's fairly little you can do, if it's not product related. I'd just shampoo/condition and call it a day. No experimenting, and keeping it simple.

Small hairs around your crown are definitely new growth, unless you do your protective styles so tightly that your hair is in effect breaking off. I'd not *bind* the hair off that much at APL. I'd just wear a French twist, Gibson tuck or peacock twist and leave it at that. Very loose styles.

ephemeri
November 20th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Yea everyone has it it's just more evident with us wavies for some reason. You'll know it's breakage if the hair end looks blunt, if it's tapered down it's growth. I shed alot too for some strange reason, i'm trying coffee rinses but my hair shedded more after 1 use rip hair! I'm gonna wash again and try another rinse but i'm scared to death i'm gonna shed more LOL

Oh wow! I'm shocked the coffee rinses made you shed more! Good to know. I will keep that in mind if I ever get around to trying it. ;) Luckily I've noticed tapered ends on my short hairs, so I don't think it's breaking. And all the shed hairs I pick up from either my hands or the floor/sink have white bulbs at one end.

This was exactly what I was going to suggest, I whip my frizzies into shape with AVG. :whip:

This is a good idea as I have had success with AVG in the past. I recently tried Kimberlilly's de-frizz spray (water, AVG, glycerin, oil) and while it worked well for taming the short frizzies, it actually made my scalp sore... I was probably getting it too close to my roots. But I stopped using it because of that. Completely forgot I could just use AVG alone! Thank you vampyyri and spidermom :o

If your hair is thinning out, I'd go see your doctor about it. If it is just regular shedding (no thinning), there's fairly little you can do, if it's not product related. I'd just shampoo/condition and call it a day. No experimenting, and keeping it simple.

Small hairs around your crown are definitely new growth, unless you do your protective styles so tightly that your hair is in effect breaking off. I'd not *bind* the hair off that much at APL. I'd just wear a French twist, Gibson tuck or peacock twist and leave it at that. Very loose styles.

Luckily, I don't think it's thinning. I did fear that for awhile at first but my hair is really thick and just doesn't appear to be getting thinner. I will do a circumference measure sometime again soon but a few months ago I was a iii.

Thanks for the styling suggestions -- I will look into them. The last time I tried a gibson tuck my hair absolutely didn't want to stay but now that it's a little longer, it might work! Generally I've been keeping it in a low cinnabun with an accent braid during the week while at work and often a low, loose ponytail, twin braids, or just completely loose when at home. I don't tie it up when I sleep. But it's always good to try something new, just in case! :o

lapushka
November 20th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Luckily, I don't think it's thinning. I did fear that for awhile at first but my hair is really thick and just doesn't appear to be getting thinner. I will do a circumference measure sometime again soon but a few months ago I was a iii.

Thanks for the styling suggestions -- I will look into them. The last time I tried a gibson tuck my hair absolutely didn't want to stay but now that it's a little longer, it might work! Generally I've been keeping it in a low cinnabun with an accent braid during the week while at work and often a low, loose ponytail, twin braids, or just completely loose when at home. I don't tie it up when I sleep. But it's always good to try something new, just in case! :o

Then it is most certainly thinning. Might not be much, but I'd keep an eye on it, for sure.

ephemeri
November 20th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Then it is most certainly thinning. Might not be much, but I'd keep an eye on it, for sure.

Oh sorry, I just realized how that sounds! Let me clarify -- a few months ago when I measured, I was iii. I think I'm still at iii, I just haven't measured recently.

I also recently had my thyroid checked and it was normal. :o

Anje
November 20th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Did you have a baby recently, or am I confusing you with someone else? Post-partum shedding and then lots of fuzzy crazy regrowth is really normal, but it understandably bugs a lot of people.

Given that your hair is rather wurly, I imagine some frizz is part of life. Easiest way to deal with it is to use a little product to help your hairs clump together to make defined waves and curls instead of letting each little hair do its own thing. Gel is popular (scrunch once it's dry to get it to not look wet and crunchy), but I see people putting in all kinds of things like flaxseed gel, aloe vera, small amounts of conditioner, curl creme, you name it. It's mostly just figuring out what gives you results you like.

Strands
November 20th, 2016, 05:43 PM
- Does anyone else have this problem?
I DO.

- Any advice on stopping the shedding? (I keep meaning to try coffee rinses...)
I like green tea rinses, and am now experimenting with witch hazel as well. So far so good.

- Any advice on dealing with the crown frizzies?
it sounds weird, but once you have your style done, use your hand and gently push them toward the front hair line instead of back, and then use a light serum or oil to bring them down where they go. This works for me, as I find my baby hairs that do stick out are doing so because they have a different growth pattern until they grow out and mesh into the length.

- Is this just a part of living with longer hair? Should I just get used to it?
I think so, and I am trying to just deal with it lol.

- Anyone else have this problem that eventually grew out of it or solved it somehow?
This is for someone else to answer :)

I hope you get this figured out!

ephemeri
November 20th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Did you have a baby recently, or am I confusing you with someone else? Post-partum shedding and then lots of fuzzy crazy regrowth is really normal, but it understandably bugs a lot of people.

Given that your hair is rather wurly, I imagine some frizz is part of life. Easiest way to deal with it is to use a little product to help your hairs clump together to make defined waves and curls instead of letting each little hair do its own thing. Gel is popular (scrunch once it's dry to get it to not look wet and crunchy), but I see people putting in all kinds of things like flaxseed gel, aloe vera, small amounts of conditioner, curl creme, you name it. It's mostly just figuring out what gives you results you like.

Nope, not me :)

Yes, I used to do the full curly girl routine, with gel, and had amazing results. However, I gave it up because I could never get decent second day curls/waves and as my hair got longer, it became impractical to co-wash and re-style it every single morning. I guess I'm still in the process of learning how to deal with my texture at this length, without crunchy products. :) I have been meaning to try flaxseed gel ... Thanks for the reminder!

Anya15
November 21st, 2016, 01:37 AM
This is exactly the same problem I have. No matter what I do, my new growth frizzies stick out everywhere. Nothing works for it except a green tea rinse which I tried for the first time today. My hair is way less frizzy :)

lapushka
November 21st, 2016, 04:24 AM
Oh sorry, I just realized how that sounds! Let me clarify -- a few months ago when I measured, I was iii. I think I'm still at iii, I just haven't measured recently.

I also recently had my thyroid checked and it was normal. :o

Oh OK, that's different then. Just confused because your stats say ii. :o

ephemeri
November 21st, 2016, 08:44 AM
Oh you're right! I need to change that. Thanks! :)