PDA

View Full Version : My heat tools... I will miss you. </3

Strands
November 19th, 2016, 03:14 PM
I have always used heat on my hair in the past, like at least 2 or 3 times a month if not more.

*Deep Breath*

This weekend I threw away my hair straightener, my blow-dryer, my mini-straightener, and my straightening brush (it would hold the heat as you go and had terrible bulb ends for ripping out knots.)

It was really hard to do this, because this was about $300.00 in hair tools. But I did it. I have completely committed to no heat ever again. I feel kind of bad because I love my hair straight, but at the same time, I would way rather have my hair long. It is just time, so I pitched them.

I cried a little haha but I know this is really for the best long-term. I guess I could use some encouragement that this was the right decision. I have half a mind to dig them out of the trash and hug them. (I wouldn't do that, but I feel like I lost a friend?)

Anyone else go through this and give up heat cold-turkey?

Deborah
November 19th, 2016, 03:40 PM
I think you made a quality decision that will result in healthier hair for you. Good for you!

Llama
November 19th, 2016, 03:43 PM
I didn't actually throw away any of my hot tools when I gave them up...I just put them in storage. It has worked well for me :) But you are making the right decision to give up heat. It is the main reason I have been able to grow my hair longer I believe.

It was hard to stop at the beginning because I was flat ironing/curling my hair on a daily basis. My hair looked awful the first couple months but the quality of my hair improved so much over time. Didn't take that long to not need my flat iron anymore.

Alissalocks
November 19th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Nah fam... you're good! I don't think I would have thrown mine out, I still have irons and such around but almost never use them. I air dry, always have, and since my hair is stick straight I've learned setting my hair for curls is better and more effective anyhow if I'm trying to change the texture.

But honestly, I've usually hated my hair's flat texture and only recently learned to just love and accept my hair as being beautiful just the way it wants to be. Think of all the braid styles you can try that won't slip right out, like mine often do!! Do you lurk your hair texture's thread here (example, mine is Thin, Fine hair?) Might find some non-heat styling tips there too?

Your hair will thank you, but I say keep them unless you prefer throwing them out to avoid having temptation in the house. :p

You're better off without the heat, aka torture devices, she's a cruel mistress!!

lapushka
November 19th, 2016, 03:57 PM
I have always used heat on my hair in the past, like at least 2 or 3 times a month if not more.

*Deep Breath*

This weekend I threw away my hair straightener, my blow-dryer, my mini-straightener, and my straightening brush (it would hold the heat as you go and had terrible bulb ends for ripping out knots.)

It was really hard to do this, because this was about $300.00 in hair tools. But I did it. I have completely committed to no heat ever again. I feel kind of bad because I love my hair straight, but at the same time, I would way rather have my hair long. It is just time, so I pitched them.

I cried a little haha but I know this is really for the best long-term. I guess I could use some encouragement that this was the right decision. I have half a mind to dig them out of the trash and hug them. (I wouldn't do that, but I feel like I lost a friend?)

Anyone else go through this and give up heat cold-turkey?

I'm sad that you threw away your blow dryer, because you didn't have to. If you use that tool wisely, it can be used perfectly fine. I use mine on warm/cool. As long as you can hold your hand in the airstream (for a long time, as some dryers heat up) without it burning, it is *fine* to use on hair. I have diffused since about shoulder/APL and I am classic length now. I have no white dots (heat damage) or split ends. I *love* my blow dryer!

mizukitty
November 19th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Awww, I feel a little sad for you too! Flat iron I understand, as it's so damaging and there's no way to use it without damaging your hair, but I agree with lapushka about the hair dryer! You can use it to warm up a deep conditioning treatment under a plastic cap (which is mainly the use of mine.) But, I totally get your attachment to your useful inanimate objects, I can definitely relate, lol. Your hair will thank you, though! :) My hair's condition improved a ton when I stopped giving myself blow outs every other day.

Strands
November 19th, 2016, 05:03 PM
I didn't actually throw away any of my hot tools when I gave them up...I just put them in storage. It has worked well for me :) But you are making the right decision to give up heat. It is the main reason I have been able to grow my hair longer I believe.

It was hard to stop at the beginning because I was flat ironing/curling my hair on a daily basis. My hair looked awful the first couple months but the quality of my hair improved so much over time. Didn't take that long to not need my flat iron anymore.

It is a temptation issue for me. We went on a overnight trip yesterday and all I could think about was "I wish I had XYZed my hair for this for photos" and then started planning on just doing it the old way. But I was like, no wait, my hair is healthier now and looks better than it did before I started this... So I got home and pitched them. The temptation otherwise lingers and I don't want that.

Strands
November 19th, 2016, 05:07 PM
@lapushka
I can not be trusted to not use my blow-drying at any setting other than maximum because I am impatient and also because this one was over 5 years old and the other settings had nearly gone pooped out because all I ever did was abuse that thing. Also, I do not know that this one was defected from the get-go, because even the cool setting was HOT after like 3 mins of use, so idk... I used to like that it was so devilish hot because it would work so fast. Now I know that is a bad thing. :/

@mizukitty
If I need heat on a deep conditioner, I would rather warm up a towel in the dryer and just put it on my head lol. But honestly it was really sad. But I am feeling better about it, and my hair will thank me I am sure in time as it becomes healthier and with no heat to damage it as I go!

littlestarface
November 19th, 2016, 06:03 PM
If you ever do want something for heating up treatments a heat cap is a very nice thing to have around.

Hay_jules
November 19th, 2016, 06:19 PM
Wow, I feel for you. I haven't even been able to remove my straightener from its "home" on my dresser. I haven't used it in over a month but I'm not ready to pack it away. My curling iron is keeping it company. I suppose I should pack them away. Soon. Really I will.

lapushka
November 20th, 2016, 04:45 AM
@lapushka
I can not be trusted to not use my blow-drying at any setting other than maximum because I am impatient and also because this one was over 5 years old and the other settings had nearly gone pooped out because all I ever did was abuse that thing. Also, I do not know that this one was defected from the get-go, because even the cool setting was HOT after like 3 mins of use, so idk... I used to like that it was so devilish hot because it would work so fast. Now I know that is a bad thing. :/

Getting a new, decent one for Christmas (+ a diffuser head) might be a nice thing. Just make sure you get separate heat and speed settings and there are at least 2 or 3 of those each + a cool shot button.

My hair takes over 8H to dry. I can't be without a hair dryer. It's not realistic in this day and age (for me). And for the SD it is best that my roots get dry within a certain amount of time.

calmyogi
November 20th, 2016, 07:45 AM
I'm glad I'm too lazy to heat style my hair lol. My flat iron, curling iron, and hair dryer will sit untouched for months. In fact the flat iron hasn't been touched in years, the curling iron in probably a year (I bought it more for my daughter anyways) and the hair dryer with the diffuser I'll take out maybe once every few months. I might use the hair dryer more just on my roots and a low setting, but it's an ion dryer and I don't really like it. I think it's the ion feature because my older hair dryer didn't do this, but I feel like it makes my hair more limp. Probably from the cuticle laying flatter.

maybe a friend, or if you don't live at home, your mom, could hold on to your hot tools for you. Out of site out of mind right?

hanne jensen
November 20th, 2016, 08:59 AM
For those of you who own a hair straitener device, you can use it for your sewing projects. If you hem a skirt, dress or slacks, use the hair gizmo to press the seams.

Shiranshoku
November 20th, 2016, 09:09 AM
For those of you who own a hair straitener device, you can use it for your sewing projects. If you hem a skirt, dress or slacks, use the hair gizmo to press the seams.

I think you have just changed my life. I have a straightener gathering dust in my bathroom, and I'm lazy as can be about setting seams (can't be bothered to get out the iron), so this is a great idea!

Anje
November 20th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Fwiw, I'll bet a local women's shelter would be thrilled to have some good quality heat tools.

Mrstran
November 20th, 2016, 04:09 PM
It's something to be proud of, and I'm happy for you that you took the plunge. The hair journey is really awesome when you think about it. Just by giving up a few bad habits and having patients, you ultimately end up with beautiful, long, healthy hair. As a bonus you get your most flattering natural color. (If you want)

I almost look at it like... extreme hair makeover. You are growing to perfection :o

Strands
November 20th, 2016, 04:28 PM
I am sure there are other uses for those items, or I could have donated them, but honestly if they are bad for hair I do not want to give that to someone else, regardless. and also as far as he setting, I do not do enough sewing to consider that. I feel good about throwing them out logically, but emotionally I feel like I got rid of a friend. A destructive friend though, that is why I got rid of them in the first place.

I washed today (wash day) and when I went to get my stuff to do it and the tools were not there I felt a little bit proud. Like I did overcome this and am getting better, like quitting smoking and NOT finding cigarettes in your purse i would suppose.

I really feel like I am on my way to better hair, and I am so super happy :) I am doing much better than I was when I actually did the deed.

Anje
November 20th, 2016, 04:33 PM
I am sure there are other uses for those items, or I could have donated them, but honestly if they are bad for hair I do not want to give that to someone else, regardless.
I know where you're coming from. But not everyone has a goal of long hair, and many keep it short enough that the heat damage doesn't accumulate to bothersome levels. :)

Seija
November 22nd, 2016, 05:17 AM
I haven't touched heat to my hair in about 4 months and I used to use it everyday; straighten, blow dry, curl etc etc.. and now my hair feels less crunchy than it ever has. That's nothing to be sad over. I think you did a good thing :)

betterhairday
November 22nd, 2016, 07:34 AM
Strands, I do use heat tools but I remember seeing this on their webpage which may help you : http://www.karminhairtools.com/advice/how-to-straighten-hair-without-heat.html As my hair is dead straight I used the one "how to curl your hair without heat", takes longer but it works.

Pamberpestana
November 22nd, 2016, 08:15 AM
I gave up heat cold turkey as soon as I cut off most of my bleached hair and decided to never color my hair again about 8 months ago. I haven't thrown my heat tools away but I gave all my heat protector serums and sprays to my sister in law and now that only have my natural hair, the thought of applying heat to it scares me so much! I will say though that I'm tempted quite often to straighten me hair because shoulder length bed head is not very pretty. But I just spray some leave in and water and try to reshape it and deal with it or ignore it haha

truepeacenik
November 22nd, 2016, 09:36 AM
You can live a long happy life without heat tools.
https://goo.gl/images/Uzci2I
That was my last used on hair hair dryer.

I did have one for making hula hoops.