PDA

View Full Version : Left olive oil on scalp all night, what happened to my scalp scab was really weird.

maxa
November 19th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Firstly, I woke up in a frenzy of scratching, I could barely contain my itch. After a few minutes of scratching I just ran to the bathroom and washed all the oil out and used an anti-itching shampoo. But what I noticed before the shower was that the pieces of scab I had scratched of(yuk) were no longer flaky.

So all though keeping the olive oil on my scalp made me wake up in a complete frenzy, I did gain a few things. Firstly, really silky hair, secondly I realized that the olive oil had COMPLETELY moisturized all the dry bits on my skin. The reason I was in such a frenzy was because the layer between the dead skin and the healthy skin was being filled with olive oil, I believe. Either that or the problem on my scalp is a fungus and the olive oil just fed that fungus with loads of vitamins which made the fungus grow. But even if the latter option is true, it doesn't stop the fact that my skin right now, after washing everything out, is actually in a pretty good shape. Well, the whole thing wouldn't have been a problem if I didn't sleep scratch like a zombie dog... I need a shower cap with a lock or something.

Anje
November 19th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Be aware that it might be seborrheic dermatitis, which is exactly what you described: fungus overgrowth after it feeds on oils, and then you react strongly and itchily to the fungus.

I'm glad your scalp is feeling better now that you've washed it, but I wouldn't trust that this is a good solution for someone with a flakey scabby scalp.

spidermom
November 19th, 2016, 01:59 PM
I allow my scalp to get oily with natural sebum, then oil the length (never the scalp), comb-comb-comb over my scalp to loosen any shedding skin cells and down the length to distribute the oil and eliminate tangles, braid overnight, wash in the morning. This gives quite good results.

Strands
November 19th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Please do not take this the wrong way, but you really need to just stop experimenting on it as this point and go to a DOCTOR. If this is a fungus you might be making it worse and no amount of hair is worth your health. Please seek medical attention.

lapushka
November 19th, 2016, 02:20 PM
I agree with Strands. This is about your second thread on your hair and it is devastating to see you like this. Please go see a doctor? Yes?

maxa
November 19th, 2016, 02:37 PM
I'll see the doctor on monday, just to be sure.

Strands
November 19th, 2016, 03:16 PM
I'll see the doctor on monday, just to be sure.

Praise the Lord! And please tell the doc what you have been doing to it because they will be able to tell you if what you were doing it was effecting it either way! Good luck!

maxa
November 19th, 2016, 03:30 PM
It's worth saying I haven't tried coconut oil yet.

lapushka
November 19th, 2016, 03:59 PM
It's worth saying I haven't tried coconut oil yet.

Please stop messing with your hair and scalp until you see a doctor. :flower: It's important as they need to see your scalp for what it is.

mizukitty
November 19th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Yep, some peoples' scalps just can't tolerate so much oils like others. Probably has to do with how much oil your scalp naturally produces and how much yeast lives on your skin. Mine products a lot of sebum (just like my face), and neglecting to remove it properly every other day will cause insane fungal flare ups that itch so bad I can't sleep. Some can simply SO and be fine, others like myself, not at all. Echoing everyone to see a doc, when I did she prescribed ketoconazole and it stopped the itching within the day. Relief like that, well, there's nothing quite like it :)

maxa
November 19th, 2016, 06:22 PM
For the sake of science I must note that ACV had exactly the same anti itching effect as the anti-itching shampoo, except the shampoo made my hair go flat whereas the ACV added life to it. Now that I think about it I can't even remember why I'm using the shampoo over the ACV, oh I think it's because I'm slightly scared I'm playing with fire lol.

If I lived in a rural area with no doctor, ACV is likely all I would need to get rid of this fungus. That's just a guess though. I'll be safe and go check it out.

Decoy24601
November 19th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Actually, ACV often isn't enough to fully get rid of SD, especially worse cases (which sounds like yours). Just because it relieves the itch, which is a symptom, not the cause/disease, doesn't mean it's actually doing any good for the health of your scalp.

Arctic
November 20th, 2016, 03:12 AM
If not for itching and your skin/scalp (which in the end weight much more heavily in the health scale than you hair [dead cells]) then do be aware that scalp problems can often affect your hair too. SD can cause thinning, for example. If not for heath then for vanity you really want to look into this with a doctor! :)

I am not usually one to suggest going to doctor for internet strangers first thing, but I must say the scabs and the irritation you talk about sound alarming.

Wishing you luck for your doctor appointment tomorrow!