PDA

View Full Version : Long-term sick leave helped my hair

Zindell
November 19th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Strange how things can work. I've usually washed my hair every third day and sometimes every other day. I've tried to stretch washes but never with any success, until now ...

Since the beginning of September I've been home from work due to "occupational burnout". The upside to this was that I started to neglect my hair. I didn't have the need to wash it to look good for others, since I spent most time at home by myself. First I perhaps washed my hair twice a week, then once a week, and today I realised I haven't washed my hair for 12 days and... it looks and feels great! Not greasy at all!

Another benefit is that I haven't experienced the usual "fall fall", meaning that usually on every autumn I have lost more hairs than usual. Not so this year.

So... not sure what I want to say other than that stretching washes really work, and it might be easier if one get some time "away from society". :o

---
Ps. On my profile picture I had just cut my hair back from BSL'ish to even things up since I was growing out my bangs and they finally was long enough to touch my shoulders. I'm in the "6 Month No Trimming Challenge (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137977)" and haven't cut my hair since the end of June, so it's grown quite a bit since then.

lapushka
November 19th, 2016, 06:26 AM
I used to have to wash 2/3 times a week when it was short, more like 2x when it was about BSL, and then Menière's struck and I had trouble keeping my balance and especially for hair washing this was key as it seemed to be triggered by flipping my head upside down (they first thought it was positional because of it, but no such thing as it later turned out). Anyway, until my medications were on point, which took a while because they thought it was positional, I struggled with hair washing so it went to once a week to twice a month. It was twice a month for a long time, and it majorly triggered my SD (seborrheic dermatitis). After that was resolved, my scalp seemed to have "normalized" and I could wash once a week fine, no problem. No SD issue either. But I can't go 2 weeks or that *will* crop up.

Sometimes a major stretch helps, but it isn't the case for everyone! Some of us just can't stretch washes. :)

Entangled
November 19th, 2016, 07:38 AM
I used to have to wash 2/3 times a week when it was short, more like 2x when it was about BSL, and then Menière's struck and I had trouble keeping my balance and especially for hair washing this was key as it seemed to be triggered by flipping my head upside down (they first thought it was positional because of it, but no such thing as it later turned out). Anyway, until my medications were on point, which took a while because they thought it was positional, I struggled with hair washing so it went to once a week to twice a month. It was twice a month for a long time, and it majorly triggered my SD (seborrheic dermatitis). After that was resolved, my scalp seemed to have "normalized" and I could wash once a week fine, no problem. No SD issue either. But I can't go 2 weeks or that *will* crop up.

Sometimes a major stretch helps, but it isn't the case for everyone! Some of us just can't stretch washes. :)
Two weeks is a *major* stretch by my books.

triumphator!
November 19th, 2016, 07:46 AM
I would love to try this... just waiting for the aforementioned "time away from society," just in case it goes poorly! :p

lapushka
November 19th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Two weeks is a *major* stretch by my books.

Yep, my SD thought so too. :lol: But it was unavoidable with the issues I was facing.

Deborah
November 19th, 2016, 11:17 AM
When I was having fun experimenting with things I once went through 22 months of water only washing. I enjoyed the time, but a lovely side benefit from it was that when I decided I'd had enough, I found that I only needed to wash my hair once a week, just like when I was a child. I continue that way now and am very happy about it.

Actually, a second benefit was that I realized I don't need to use conditioner on my hair at all. I'm happy about that too.

Zindell
November 21st, 2016, 03:32 AM
Actually, a second benefit was that I realized I don't need to use conditioner on my hair at all. I'm happy about that too.

Yes, this happened to me too! During this time I stopped using conditioner, and my hair is so much fuller and more "bouncy" now.

Great to read about everyone's experiences. :D