PDA

View Full Version : How do you tie your braids

Hay_jules
November 18th, 2016, 04:53 PM
I'm sure it seems like an obvious question and I searched but I couldn't really find anything.

I have bleached shoulder length hair so it's dry and damaged. I used to blow fry and straighten religiously but since bleaching I've realized it's no bueno. I used to wear a ponytail as my go to for hair up but the ties usually get caught in my hair (and I know now ponies aren't so good either). So I'd like to start playing with braids but I don't know if I should just use those tiny clear elastics or is there something more gentle? My hair is extra fragile right now and I don't want something that's going to make it break more. For now I've been wearing those octopus clips with a little peacock 'do but it's bulky for when I'm cold and need a hat...which is every day almost.

PixieP
November 18th, 2016, 04:59 PM
I use the silicone ties. But I've see some people make gentle hair ties from stockings, like so: http://www.instructables.com/id/Stretchy-Hair-Ties-out-of-Tights/?ALLSTEPS

Llama
November 18th, 2016, 05:19 PM
If I'm just lounging around the house I will use a scrunchie.
If I'm going out I will either use clear silicone elastics or ones that I made out of black pantyhose.
I never use those regular fabric hair ties, they give me breakage.

ETA: I also like this kind, I don't know what they are called. The popular brand of them are called Emi Jays- https://www.yogaoutlet.com/p/emi-jay-solid-5-pack-hair-ties-8130802/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-shopping&color=38649&gclid=CjwKEAiA6rrBBRDsrLGM4uTPkWASJADnWZQ4ZQIyTnpN tgEg5lA0mtzTNrpKRaze0AUgT4koUErE-BoC-Bbw_wcB

Anje
November 18th, 2016, 05:23 PM
I have problems with the clear silicone ties kinking my ends, but somehow the colorful "poly" ones of the same size aren't nearly as problematic. So I use those. (Lots of people get along great with the clear ones; I don't know why I don't.) Or I get the seamless fabric type, usually at the dollar store. Depends how skinny your ends are. :)

Hay_jules
November 18th, 2016, 05:59 PM
PixieP and Llama, thanks for the panty hose idea, I'd never heard of that before. I think those will be perfect for me. Looks like I'm buying baby tights. :D

I do have those ties like the link Llama shared, I use them for ponytails and I do like them.

Anje, I've used the black ones but don't know if they are silicone or poly but my hair always tangles in them. And My ends usually kink too. Good to know there's a difference between them, maybe I'll try both and see.

I don't have a lot of hair so I don't need something particularly strong.

wispe
November 18th, 2016, 06:13 PM
I have some nylon ones, goody brand I think? - basically the same thing as making your own from tights, and I prefer them to most fabric ties. For small braids or those that I will be tucking the ends, I use clear elastics or I just bobby pin them up without an elastic. Lately I've been trying out a few braids with ribbon woven in, and I use the ends of the ribbon to tie the braid off. If I wear a paranda I usually tie it off with strands from the yarn/fabric of the paranda itself, or a nylon tie if I don't have enough tassel. I've got a couple scrunchies but I mainly use them to ponytail my hair around the house or for loose topknots at night - my ends aren't thick enough to secure with a scrunchie.

Larki
November 18th, 2016, 07:14 PM
For work, clear Goody silicone hair ties. For every day, tiny terry cloth ones or scrunchies.

Andthetalltrees
November 18th, 2016, 08:00 PM
Just normal elastics or ribbon ties. Neither bother my hair so I stick with it

littlestarface
November 18th, 2016, 08:54 PM
I use those goody silicone elastics for when I braid all the way to the ends.

Nique1202
November 19th, 2016, 04:36 AM
Everyone keeps calling them silicone, but all those little elastics (the clear ones and the coloured ones) are actually latex. That's why oil on the hair breaks them down the way some folks recommend removing difficult ones: silicone is just fine with oil, but latex degrades. It seems to have different additives than most other forms of latex so they don't always trigger latex allergies (they don't bother my mom's, at least) but the possibility remains that they could, and those allergies can get pretty serious. Just something to be aware of, for all of us who keep recommending them and anyone who may see this thread in the future wanting to use them.

That's what I use for my braid ends, though, too. I have VERY slippery hair, and these are the only things that stay in and don't cause friction damage for me. They're easy, they grip securely without slipping, and if you get a hair stuck on the elastic during removal they're cheap enough to sacrifice, though I tend to reuse mine until they break naturally. Nylons and any thread-covered traditional elastics are all fairly roughly textured on the microscopic level, so they rub on my hair and give me split ends, and they still tend to slip off if I so much as look at them wrong.

lapushka
November 19th, 2016, 05:13 AM
I use just regular elastics. Just smaller ones, sometimes these ones:
https://static.mijnwebwinkel.nl/winkel/littledivashairstyle/image/cache/full/cf92cc14c562ba43f50ee9606490c4fd520a9755.jpg

Zindell
November 19th, 2016, 06:19 AM
I use terry cloth hair ties, kiddie size to tie of my braid/braids.

>> This kind (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/817xDm%2BHUFL._SL1500_.jpg), but probably not the same brand. (I'm in Sweden).

Anje
November 19th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Everyone keeps calling them silicone, but all those little elastics (the clear ones and the coloured ones) are actually latex. That's why oil on the hair breaks them down the way some folks recommend removing difficult ones: silicone is just fine with oil, but latex degrades.
They do say they're silicone on the packaging...

littlestarface
November 19th, 2016, 11:33 AM

Yea mine did too.

Nique1202
November 19th, 2016, 11:43 AM

If they specifically say on the package that they're silicone that's probably fine, but if they don't they're probably latex, and if they break down in oil they definitely are. When I looked up several types they all had latex in the product description in several places online, even though it wasn't on the packaging, which has made me much more careful about them in general.

meteor
November 19th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Since I almost always bun my braids anyway, I simply don't bother tying them off - I just use sticks/fork to pin the whole thing down.

I also like weaving in a long ribbon into a braid and using that to tie off the tassel: the higher up you start weaving it in, the better it will hold, even if it's very silky.

I find that really tiny accent braids often don't need to be tied off if they are super long: the ends will loosen up a bit, but the whole structure kind of stays at the top because of the high number of braid intersections, even though it gets messier faster.

Bea18
November 19th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Hi, I usually use a little fabric tie on my braids when I'm home, but some clear elastics also are a good option, tho they aren't breakage free. Scunchies are great options, but lately I have to use clear elastics if i braid my hair all the way down.

I recommend the scrunchies cause they are softer in the hair.

truepeacenik
November 19th, 2016, 09:13 PM
If they specifically say on the package that they're silicone that's probably fine, but if they don't they're probably latex, and if they break down in oil they definitely are. When I looked up several types they all had latex in the product description in several places online, even though it wasn't on the packaging, which has made me much more careful about them in general.

Latex cannot be made clear.
I can smell latex, but cannot definitively smell silicone.

Frankenstein
November 19th, 2016, 10:28 PM
The ones I use most are called ribbon hair ties. If I don't use those, I use a normal cloth-covered elastic without the metal bit. I rarely use the little silicone bands because my hair tends to get wrapped around them and yanked out when I go to take them off.

Llama
November 19th, 2016, 11:08 PM
If they specifically say on the package that they're silicone that's probably fine, but if they don't they're probably latex, and if they break down in oil they definitely are.

I'm pretty sure if they were made out of latex it would say so on the packaging since a lot of people have latex allergies. I wouldn't just assume they are "probably latex". I mean, whatever though

Alex Lou
November 19th, 2016, 11:21 PM
I got some clear ones a while back so I don't have to use bulky elastics at the end of my hair, but they break every single time. Not right when I put them on, but hours later, they will spontaneously break and shoot off. I still use them since I don't have anything better.

Simsy
November 20th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Depends on what I'm doing with the braids. Work braids get wrapped around my head and pinned into place, no ties. Normal braids either get bunned (no ties) or tied off with a normal cloth hair elastic. Rope braids will stay reasonably well without tying off; something about my curl pattern.

Nique1202
November 20th, 2016, 05:18 AM
Latex cannot be made clear.
I can smell latex, but cannot definitively smell silicone.

I'm pretty sure if they were made out of latex it would say so on the packaging since a lot of people have latex allergies. I wouldn't just assume they are "probably latex". I mean, whatever though

If this is any indication (http://www.graftobian.com/Liquid-Latex--Clear_p_614.html), then it seems that latex can be made clear, it just might have different additives, which may or may not affect how likely an allergic reaction is. And regulations generally only require that latex be labeled on medical devices, which hair ties are not. There's no requirement that I can find for anything else to be labeled for latex content.

Either way, I'm only going by what I saw when I looked up a few things on Amazon and Walmart type sites a while back. They had latex in the description and the way latex breaks down in oil is pretty characteristic of these little elastics, it's one of the recommended ways to get a troublesome one out of hair. I'm just saying that there's a possibility, however small, that the tiny grippy elastics may be made out of latex, and anyone with a serious allergy should consider the possible risk of that since it's not totally uncommon.

202_bh_rider
November 20th, 2016, 08:59 AM
i use the tied ones. they don't cause as much stress on my scalp when i do buns, and while they are kind of expensive to buy pre made, they sell the material in large packages for the same price ($2.75) as the 5 pack of premades. so i make my own :)

PixieP
November 20th, 2016, 09:09 AM
I got some clear ones a while back so I don't have to use bulky elastics at the end of my hair, but they break every single time. Not right when I put them on, but hours later, they will spontaneously break and shoot off. I still use them since I don't have anything better.

Try another brand, I have 2 different types of these small ones, one breaks quite fast, the others I can use over and over and over without breaking. There's a big difference between different types.

Totty
November 20th, 2016, 11:33 AM
I use terry cloth hair ties, kiddie size to tie of my braid/braids.

>> This kind (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/817xDm%2BHUFL._SL1500_.jpg), but probably not the same brand. (I'm in Sweden).

Me too due to tapered hair

vampyyri
November 20th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Goody ouchless ties, never had a problem with breakage. I wear a braid to bed every night with these guys.

LillithTheFirst
November 20th, 2016, 01:16 PM
If I have two braids then I use the elastics, being gentle putting them on and taking them off. If it's just one braid my hair is pretty thick and I prefer to use a velvet hair tie.

Alex Lou
November 20th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Try another brand, I have 2 different types of these small ones, one breaks quite fast, the others I can use over and over and over without breaking. There's a big difference between different types.
I don't remember what I bought, but I do have 2 different brands. I'll try Goody next time.

Lavendersugar
November 20th, 2016, 11:36 PM
For small braids I will use yarn. It's not just any yarn. It's a Noro brand yarn. If you google you'll see what I mean.

For bigger braids I secure then with Goody clear small bands. Not a big fan because they snag but it's less than the rubber ones.

Olavi
November 21st, 2016, 04:20 AM
I use seamless fabric hairties. I have bigger ones and smaller ones. I just love how you can still use them even after they have stretched beyond reason, because there is no elastic or seam to snap :D

Hairkay
November 21st, 2016, 10:09 AM
I've got tight curls that'll clump together on their own so I don't tie off the ends of my plaits/braids. I just leave them to make little spiral curls. The plait/braid will more or less stay. There may be a bit of unravelling depending on where the plait is or how big is it but there'll still be a plait/braid left.

gracenotes
November 22nd, 2016, 03:01 PM
The Goody silicone ones work best for me. They have quite a bit of grip, so I don't have to wrap them so tightly around my hair. Regular elastic ties (even the metal-free ones) have a tendency to shred my ends.

genuinewicked
November 22nd, 2016, 04:55 PM
I use seamless fabric hairties. I have bigger ones and smaller ones. I just love how you can still use them even after they have stretched beyond reason, because there is no elastic or seam to snap :D

I use these as well. I LOVE that they don't rip my hair out like the elastic hairties used to.