PDA

View Full Version : Demi dyes, how damaging are they?

Mrstran
November 18th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Have any of you tried temporary Demi dyes?

I know I swore off dyes, but I'm in my sisters wedding and have roots coming in. I picked up a Demi so that I could do oil treatments and masks without the dye washing out immediately after. I want it to last long enough that I can do this, plus wash some out of I need to fade it.

My my concern is damage. What would you say it was equivalent to? Maybe blow drying your hair a few times? Or worse?

Arctic
November 18th, 2016, 11:59 AM
I'm sorry I don't know what is the definition of demi dye.

Does it contain peroxide?

In what condition is your hair now?

What kind of blow drying are we talking about? The way I blow dry does not cause damage at all.

In general I don't think this is a question we can really answer, there are too many variables.

lapushka
November 18th, 2016, 12:03 PM
I'm European, and I once had a demi or semi (not sure) from the brand Indola. There were 2 applications in the box, and I loved it, it was on point with the color and helped me grow out my dye. I applied it around Christmas time a number of years ago, because my line of demarcation was horrible (growing out lighter dye (mid-ash blonde)). I was happy with it and I didn't notice damage from it, and it faded nicely.

pastina
November 18th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Demi dyes contain peroxide. Some damage will be incurred, but how much depends on the current state of your hair. ...Plus, your color will be lifted a bit, so you'll still end up with a demarcation line when new growth comes in.

vampyyri
November 18th, 2016, 12:07 PM
I would honestly just go with a veggie/deposit only dye. They come in natural colors and rinse out in time without any damage.

I got stuck in the demi/semi trap before while growing out my color, it's quite annoying to upkeep on, because you keep getting a stark regrowth line.

Agnes Hannah
November 18th, 2016, 12:12 PM
I used a semi-permanent, not sure if it is the same as a demi, there was damage, but not as much as permanent dyes. I now use Henna.

LaísB
November 18th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Have any of you tried temporary Demi dyes?

I know I swore off dyes, but I'm in my sisters wedding and have roots coming in. I picked up a Demi so that I could do oil treatments and masks without the dye washing out immediately after. I want it to last long enough that I can do this, plus wash some out of I need to fade it.

My my concern is damage. What would you say it was equivalent to? Maybe blow drying your hair a few times? Or worse?

I used a demi dye once, a long time ago, it is all grown out now, plus it faded pretty quickily. It didn't did much harm to my hair, but my ahir was reaally healthy when I used that so it could handle it. I had a good expereince with it, not so much the color (silly me thinking I could go strawberry blonde without any bleach....) that didn't stayed much. faded in less than a month.

I used used the L'oreal Paris one, or at least I think it was...

Pixiebella
November 18th, 2016, 12:27 PM
I think it depends on your hair. My hair was very porous due to bleach, so the demi stained the hair and it never washed out and faded very spottily. I do think it damaged it a little as well. The cuticle is slightly opened, so even if there is very little damage it does do a bit.

I think most people have good results but I just thought I'd throw my experience out there because you mentioned you were growing out dyed hair, so if it's pretty damaged from priors I'd hate to see you in my boat!

Mrstran
November 18th, 2016, 01:46 PM
I think it depends on your hair. My hair was very porous due to bleach, so the demi stained the hair and it never washed out and faded very spottily. I do think it damaged it a little as well. The cuticle is slightly opened, so even if there is very little damage it does do a bit.

I think most people have good results but I just thought I'd throw my experience out there because you mentioned you were growing out dyed hair, so if it's pretty damaged from priors I'd hate to see you in my boat!

Thanks for the added info. My hair is bleached and badly damaged and porous lol. However, I am just aching to try this color. If it does stain a ugly spotty color ( what you told me, I'm now guessing it will) it will give me an excuse to maybe try henna? I'd love to get rid of this bleach.

pastina
November 18th, 2016, 01:48 PM
After reading that^^ ...definitely skip the demi.

Mrstran
November 18th, 2016, 01:54 PM
I would honestly just go with a veggie/deposit only dye. They come in natural colors and rinse out in time without any damage.

I got stuck in the demi/semi trap before while growing out my color, it's quite annoying to upkeep on, because you keep getting a stark regrowth line.

I would absolutely love to do that but I know absolutely nothing about natural hair dyes. I have heard of henna and we do have in my town, and I am tempted to try. My only problem is that you can't remove it or dy over it if it's messed up. Is that right? I'd have to be very careful too trying to match my roots. From what I've been hearing, you can't really pick a color, it's pretty much a guessing game. I'm not sure if this is accurate but I'm so accident prone... it could be a disaster.

We don't have any other natural dyes here, ordering online seems iffy.

PixieP
November 18th, 2016, 02:01 PM
I would absolutely love to do that but I know absolutely nothing about natural hair dyes. I have heard of henna and we do have in my town, and I am tempted to try. My only problem is that you can't remove it or dy over it if it's messed up. Is that right? I'd have to be very careful too trying to match my roots. From what I've been hearing, you can't really pick a color, it's pretty much a guessing game. I'm not sure if this is accurate but I'm so accident prone... it could be a disaster.

Adore has semi-permanent dyes in natural shades, they are pgiment only, no peroxide, so they will wash out completly and they are damage-free. Goggle "Adore colour chart" and see if any of their colours match partially with your current haircolour. You can buy them on amazon; amazon is VERY trustworthy and not at all iffy.

Hay_jules
November 18th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Demi dyes contain peroxide. Some damage will be incurred, but how much depends on the current state of your hair. ...Plus, your color will be lifted a bit, so you'll still end up with a demarcation line when new growth comes in.

This. Anything that is going to lighten your hair is going to damage it to an extent. I wouldn't use a demi considering the condition of your hair. Have you considered evening out the regrowth by going darker? You could use a direct dye (the kind of semi permanent that doesn't mix with developer aka peroxide). There's a brand called Adore that makes natural colours. You could mix the colour with white conditioner to get the shade you want. I also saw at sallys yesterday the salon care brand (I think it was salon care) has natural coloured direct dyes...but that's new to me so I can't officilly recommend it.

Hay_jules
November 18th, 2016, 02:26 PM

Veggie based direct dyes aren't the same as henna. Adore is along the same vane as manic panic dye but as previouslymentioned, comes in many natural shades. You can dilute it as needed in white conditioner. There are ways to fade them but there's no guarantees.

momschicklets
November 18th, 2016, 06:34 PM
The way a true demi works is by using a small amount of peroxide to lift the cuticle just enough to deposit color. It cannot generally lighten hair it only deposits. A permanent color works by blasting open the cuticle, destroying your current color and then replacing it with the new color. A semi generally only coats the hair with color, and there is no activator or mixing in a true semi. There is no compromise of the cuticle in a semi. Demis are less damaging then a permanent, but more damaging than a semi. I have used Ion Color Brilliance Demi in my hair for several years to cover gray and it works just great and my hair is healthy, shiny and growing well. Having said that, anytime you lift the cuticle at all, there is some damage that occurs. And it's true that a line of demarcation will occur as your hair grows. Your hair is permanently changed in structure when using either a demi or permanent.

ALSO.....If your hair is very damaged and porous, your hair is likely to take the demi more like a permanent and will NOT wash out easily if at all. There is peroxide involved and if your hair is already very fragile, I would proceed with great caution. A semi might be a better choice to begin with.