PDA

View Full Version : Hair Salon Rant, stylist hate my long hair

Kelda
November 16th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Hair salons must hate long thick hair. I'm sticking with this because over the years I've had three good hair cuts where I felt my hair was treated with respect. Last week I booked an appointment to have a few highlights done with a toner afterward. I explained in detail what I wanted and how long my hair was a week before the appointment. I should have known that once again I would get treated like crap. One time a few years ago a stylist sent me out the door in the winter with sopping wet hair because she didn't want to take the time to dry it since her next appointment showed up early. This seems to be a theme with me.

Back to the story. I got some highlights and then it was time to wash and tone it. I wanted a violet tone in my hair with a semi permanent Redken Shades EQ to give it a cool tone. Anyone would know you can't apply violet to the ends of white blonde hair or it will be purple right? But she did and barely bothered to do the dark blonde at my scalp which I wanted. Moving on. We all know shampoo bowls are horrid on long hair and the hair towels salons use never absorb wet hair. I brought my own towels and helped comb out the mess. While I worked on one side she ripped through the other side with a brush. Pulling and removing ripped out pieces. ARG!!! Then her next appointment showed up 15 minutes early so she said she would do his hair cut and finish my hair after that.

I sat in the chair with wet tangled hair for 15minutes until she was ready to give me a crappy blow out. I wanted a nice blow out that gives that smooth full look. Nope, not for me. Her next appointment showed up early too so she rushed through the job complaining how she was getting behind schedule. I reminder her that she was not behind because her other customers where showing up early.

Never mind that. I walked out with hair that needed another wash when I got home to rid the extra soap and purple ends. I paid $128.00 for a few highlights and a rush job. I'm done with salons. I had hopped all my life to be one of those women who go to a salon and get some TLC. Guess not.

It's my opinion that the only way to find a good stylist is to ask someone you see on the street with long nice hair where they get it trimmed. Most of the time it's not in a salon in my experience. :rolleyes:

Llama
November 16th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I felt the same way at my last salon appointment, even though mine was only for a trim.
She washed my hair so she could cut it wet and didn't have a wide tooth comb or normal brush at all. She went between a fine tooth comb and a prickly roundbrush to detangle my wet hair. It was awful. She was literally ripping my hair out and did not care. I kept insisting she let me comb it myself but she would not let me.
Then after she cut my hair (which at least she did a good job with the cut itself), she blow dried my hair but it was taking so long that she stopped before it was completely dry and flat ironed my hair while it was still damp.
I was in so much shock that I just sat there.
I am never going back to a salon again. It was a "fancy" salon that I went to because I had a gift certificate that I wanted to use.

The whole time she was doing my hair she kept going on about how long my hair was, but not like she thought it was awesome or anything...like she was just in disbelief that anyone would grow their hair so long and like she was annoyed by it. My hair was only waist length.

Like I said, I'm really happy with the cut she gave me but I am still traumatized by how she treated my hair. I keep trying to tell myself it's okay since I treat my hair so well every other day of the year lol.

I will probably go to the "long hair salon" that is near me (called Rapunzels) for my next cut and see how that goes. From their website it sounds like their hair cuts are only S&D but I prefer blunt cuts. I'll at least call them and ask once it is close to time for my next trim.

Anyways, I completely agree and empathize with you!

spidermom
November 16th, 2016, 02:20 PM
I don't know why other people have such bad luck. I've impulsively walked into salons many times and can count on the fingers of one hand the bad experiences, which really weren't that bad all things considered. Most of my stylists have been gems.

vampyyri
November 16th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Oh I have plenty of horror stories... but my latest one is I went in to get a trim, and they a) charged me a "length/handling fee" (???) and b) obviously didn't know what .5" looks like and I got 2" lopped off.

Other stories include when I went in for a cut when I had fully bleached hair (10 years ago) and told them to "cut off whatever's dead". I went from WL to chin length hair. :shudder: Or the time when I was going to brunette (dyed) back to my natural color and I got a quadruple bleach process in one day (two separate appointments, because I came in bawling when my hair turned fluorescent orange). Nope, never again! :run:

Annalouise
November 16th, 2016, 02:44 PM
:popcorn: These are funny stories, and not funny. :bigeyes: A "length handling fee"? Wow. Wonders never cease. It was a HAIR salon right? :rolleyes:

samanthaa
November 16th, 2016, 02:54 PM
A "length handling fee" for a trim? The last time I went to a salon I also got a "trim." I was in the chair for all of two minutes. I have been angry about this for years, as two minutes of work does not justify their cost of a "cut," in my opinion. If my hair were as long as it is now and I was charged a "length fee" for that same amount of time in the chair, I would be beyond upset.

vampyyri
November 16th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I wish I was kidding... :couch:

Here's the website (http://www.anglessalon.net/services/) of the place I went to, look under women's services.

*According to length of hair prices may vary

Like.... what? :suspect::shake: I got charged an extra $20 for MBL (nearly WL) hair at the time!!

Mrstran
November 16th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Oh you all have the patience of saints. I have a touchy switch myself ( do to a horrid experience ) that tends to land me in trouble at times.
Don't get me wrong, I always am respectful and use manors, but that ends swiftly when some witch tries to rip me off, or if she dares to mishandle anything belonging to me. I tend to rip into people on the spot that are unfair to or are disrespectful to others.

It drives me nuts to hear these stories. If I were in that chair, I'd put a stop to this mishandling ASAP. If anyone is going to screw up my hair, it's going to be me.

Ive been there before. Paid $600 to have my hair turn to mush. I questioned the hairdresser about the safety and she said "yes your hair is fine, it's not really going to damage it much, just use a good conditioner." She wanted money and didn't give half a crap about my hair. I had to chop it off because after that it just kept getting shorter. ...Never again.

Annalouise
November 16th, 2016, 03:38 PM
That salon has prejudice against long hair. This is not on the topic of stylists, but I tried sending a picture of my long hair growth to my mother and sister, and they did not reply back. .... crickets chirping.... some people just don't appreciate long hair.;):justy:

Chromis
November 16th, 2016, 04:45 PM
A "length handling fee" for a trim? The last time I went to a salon I also got a "trim." I was in the chair for all of two minutes. I have been angry about this for years, as two minutes of work does not justify their cost of a "cut," in my opinion. If my hair were as long as it is now and I was charged a "length fee" for that same amount of time in the chair, I would be beyond upset.

Every salon I had been in before I learned to cut my own charged extra for "long hair". Even just for a simple blunt trim! I never understood how someone getting a short "styled" cut that took longer than my trim could be charged less. Even then that struck me as unfair. They were always complaining about my hair too. Too thin/too thick/so fine/too many strands/too boring, and on and on. I was still a minor, so I had no choice in the matter. As an adult, I am much happier to do it myself without all the weird judgypants and then doing things I didn't ask for. Trim. Two inches tops. Not feathered, not bangs, not layered or whatever other thing they thought was best that *I* didn't want and these were all cheap salons, not fancy places. People seem to have just as many bad stories from the fancy places too though.

I know there are good stylists out there, but it seems a lot of us have not met many! This might be partly due to some of us having such a bad time that we stop using them altogether. I will never find a good one since I am 100% with DIY.

Arete
November 16th, 2016, 05:15 PM
I'm lucky to never had had these issues. All the stories I hear on here make me scared to go any place else but where I go now. They think long hair is awesome AND do exactly what I tell them, and never charge a "handling fee" (wtf?!?). I rarely go in, just once in a blue moon for a bigger trim if I feel I need it. When I say half inch, they take a half inch. This time it was for evening out my hemline a bit while still maintaining a somewhat fairytale look. She followed my directions to the letter, and I'm very happy with it.
Never understood the rampant hatred of long hair by stylists and the lauding of limp, snapping, fried hair simply because it's "styled" that seems to occur in many places. Glad I found some gems.

OhSuzi
November 16th, 2016, 05:27 PM
I am in the U.K. And I have moaned about the last hair dresser who cut my grow out hair back into a pixie undoing all the 6 months of putting up with a mullet. However, other than that I've always found my hairdressers to be pretty good.
I've discovered hair dressers totally freak out if you've got dark hair and you ask for lighter blonde hair, they always try and talk you down about 5 shades and I'm like dude I have box bleached my hair from dark brown to white I think my hair can take a honey blonde highlight. And they always style it rediculously so you're there smiling and handing over a 5 pound tip whilst thinking please just let me get home and wash all the product out and hope it will style nicely - it always does, they seem to style it weird, but actually give you an amazing cut. Sometimes it's not exactly what I've asked for, but even then it still looks great.
But generally they seem pretty awesome, if booking on the phone they always ask how long your hair is so they can plan adequate time ( and prob because they do charge more for hair beyond shoulder). My hair has mainly been shorter than shoulder, yet the hairdressers I go to can take anything up to 4 hours making it nice. If you're left waiting they offer you tea coffee oj or wine and a magazine. They know when to chat to you and when you're not up for making small talk. You sit in a massage chair (if you want to) whilst they wash your hair. Generally it's a really pleasant experience.

Kelda
November 16th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Your hair looks like mine. :cool: Plus I have that same lila rose clip. From now on I will get my hair cut dry which turns out better anyhow.

Kelda
November 16th, 2016, 09:02 PM
This last comment was for Llama. We have similar hair. :)

missmelaniem
November 16th, 2016, 11:45 PM
I have to agree with your rant. Ive had so many horrible salon experiences. I've seen some horrific things.

One time I went in to get a trim and I knew they wouldnt be gentle with my hair so I conditioned it and put a ton of serum in. They just wet it down and the stylist commented how easy it was to comb. I told her that I conditioned etc and she goes "thank you!" as though I did it for her. I wanted to laugh.

Some of them seem to think they are combing through their doll head when they are working on a client.

Flipgirl24
November 17th, 2016, 03:00 AM
These sound like horrible experiences! I've only had one and it was with a just graduated hairstylist. She was getting frustrated while blow drying my hair which was BSL at the time. I had more hair at the time and it holds water for a long time. So it was taking longer than she expected so I told her not to worry about it. It was one of those deals where you pay $50 and you get 4 visits one of which is a haircut and blow dry. I
Anyway, did you go back to the salon to complain? At least to get your money back. I am not sure you could argue long hair prejudice but the situations described seem to be blatant rudeness and horrible service. I mean, going for a trim and getting a pixie cut? I would be livid! I'm not judging you if you didn't go back, just wondering if any of the salons did anything to rectify the situation.

I'm sorry you had these experiences. Wow.

LillithTheFirst
November 17th, 2016, 04:01 AM
Yep, I had to have two hair dressing sessions in the last month two days in a row for a wedding. Absolutely no idea how to treat hair, brushed though wet hair from bottom to top tugging and creating horrid knots. I was about to scream.... Def caused damage. Never going again, I wouldn't have but I was Maid of Honour so NO CHOICE!

hanne jensen
November 17th, 2016, 04:10 AM
All of these posts are exactly why I don't go to salons. It's too much of a gamble and I'm not willing to put years worth of growth on the line.

OhSuzi
November 17th, 2016, 05:11 AM
If you're referring to my pixie, Nope I didn't complain. I'm not assertive enough!
It was only 6 months growth, so Id' got to a mullety mid neck bob stage.
I went in a few days before for a free consultation, with pictures of a straight chin length bob & a side undercut to check my hair was long enough to do it.
I said,
'I'm growing it long, I've not had it cut at all for six months, Id like a bob style whilst I continue to grow it out. I used to dye it a lot but I'm trying not to, so can I have an undercut with patterns in to keep it edgy?'
She reassured me yep it was fine, that's doable.
When I went for the hair cut - she told me she couldn't remember what the pictures looked like - she scrolled through her phone & found one of Frankie from the Saturdays - she has asymmetric shaved side and sweeping fringe pixie cut on the other side - I said nope - that's not it straight chin length bob with undercut. She noted that some of my layers were a bit short, even though she had agreed previously.
I said and I'd quite like an under cut at the back, in a pointed triangle shape ^ like that too maybe? Again she she said yep that's fine. Then proceeded to give me a diagonal asymmetric under cut at the back / I don't know if she did it deliberately or because I was not clear enough in my communication. The she suggested that an asymmetric bob would suit the undercut shape better. I reminded her that I was trying to grow my hair long - she said well you've only been growing it a few months, if it was 3 years she'd be more wary about chopping it off. I was not very assertive it was a bit like pressure selling and she was a trained hairdresser so I trusted she'd know what suited me - it was a very nice hair cut - but not what I'd asked for - I suspect she'd been trained on certain styles that were trendy at the moment & only knew how to do those cuts?
I said can we put the patterns in my undercut now - I don't mind what, chevrons, lines a star? She said, well you see the thing is with patterns they grow out very quickly so what's the point. I said that's ok I'm going to a wedding tomorrow - so I'd like something cool & trendy in my hair it only has to last for one day - she just kind of ignored my request- I suspect she just didn't know how to do it - or perhaps their salon was too posh to do something a bit punky.
It cost me £40 plus a tip which I smiled and handed over because I don't want to piss off the hair dressers in case I needed another hair cut - although I have not been back there since.
However, every other time I have been there I have normally had a pleasant time being pampered and looked after and left with a great cut - If somewhat dodgily styled e.g. beautiful pixie cut but they've some how blowdried it to look like Sharon Osbourne in the 90s.
I quite often end up having my hair cut by the same guy - god knows why I didn't ask for him specifically - he is great - he knows how to cut hair to emphasise the curliness - If I ever dare go back I will be asking for him next time.
And that's where I'm at now 4 months grow out with all crazy different lengths and I want a basic trim so I can grow out a more even bob, but I'm terrified they'll chop it all back by several inches.

NorraVarg
November 17th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Reading some of these stories is horrifying!

I love my stylist to death. I get the best head massage, and he does precisely what I ask for. I gotta say though: If your hair dresser is doing something you don't like, don't sit there horrified while they rip through your hair with a brush while wet, or move in to hack off 6 inches when you ask for 2. SAY SOMETHING. They can't do anything you don't want them to if you stop them.

lapushka
November 17th, 2016, 06:04 AM
There's a hair dresser in town who says up front on her price list that hair below the shoulder = + €5. Imagine going there with hair down to your bum. I don't think so.

I used to have issues with my F hair. It compacts rather well when it's straight especially, so I had multiple instances of getting color or bleach and the hair dresser mixing a certain amount, then getting in a fit because they had to go mix more dye or bleach. 1/3 to 1/4th of my hair was left. Yes my hair is F but I have a lot of it. They never seemed to grasp that. :lol: Oh well, I never had to pay more, though. But dye and bleach (for highlights) is expensive (€80-€120 expensive).

missmelaniem
November 17th, 2016, 08:19 AM
I had a stylist that I went to for a long time, but only because she was the only one that never totally messed up my hair! I never loved anything that she did, and finally I asked myself why I wasnt cutting my own hair.. I know how and I know what I like :) silly me.

Anyway, on the additional length charge I was charged that once as well, and my hair was, like, BSL.

When I was in beauty school there was one girl who chopped someones long hair into a chin length bob. I was standing around talking to a friend and then she goes "look at that girl... shes crying!" so we rush over and ask her if she was ok... she's all "help me.. please help me" and told us she asked for a trim and the girl just chopped her hair. I felt so horrible for her. These are the some of the people that make it through beauty school tho, so the horror stories never surprise me. I still remember it so vividly even though it happened decades ago.

mizukitty
November 17th, 2016, 09:24 AM
I'm so horrified reading about the awful experiences you all have been through. No idea how some of these people even got hired, customer service is a huge part of the job... This is why it's super important to shop around for a stylist and read plenty of reviews on yelp or facebook. I would rather pay more for someone to handle my hair with care and patience than some wacko who rips through my hair. Ridiculous.

vampyyri
November 17th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Reading some of these stories is horrifying!

I love my stylist to death. I get the best head massage, and he does precisely what I ask for. I gotta say though: If your hair dresser is doing something you don't like, don't sit there horrified while they rip through your hair with a brush while wet, or move in to hack off 6 inches when you ask for 2. SAY SOMETHING. They can't do anything you don't want them to if you stop them.

Sometimes it's too late after the first snip (like when the lopped my hair off from WL to chin) Once that first cut was in, it was all over. I didn't even have a chance to react!

Though if someone were to rip through my hair with a brush, I would definitely throw a hissy fit and offer to do it myself... but it's never going to happen—partly because I don't brush my hair (finger combing only) and that I'm done with salons. Had my fair share of trauma!! :scared:

Is it just me, or do stylists get a maniacal gleam in their eyes as soon as they see someone with long hair? It's like they want to chop it all off :run:

M.McDonough
November 17th, 2016, 10:01 AM
That's why I wanna learn how to cut my own hair. But how? Maybe I should get a wig and practice? LOL

lapushka
November 17th, 2016, 10:15 AM
That's why I wanna learn how to cut my own hair. But how? Maybe I should get a wig and practice? LOL

You do know of Feye's method, right? ;)

kattmara
November 17th, 2016, 02:30 PM
These sound like horrible experiences! I've only had one and it was with a just graduated hairstylist. She was getting frustrated while blow drying my hair which was BSL at the time. I had more hair at the time and it holds water for a long time. So it was taking longer than she expected so I told her not to worry about it. It was one of those deals where you pay $50 and you get 4 visits one of which is a haircut and blow dry. I
Anyway, did you go back to the salon to complain? At least to get your money back. I am not sure you could argue long hair prejudice but the situations described seem to be blatant rudeness and horrible service. I mean, going for a trim and getting a pixie cut? I would be livid! I'm not judging you if you didn't go back, just wondering if any of the salons did anything to rectify the situation.

I'm sorry you had these experiences. Wow.

Oh interesting, I had my two best haircuts with newly graduated or still in school hairstylists. They where more up to date and dared to do the things I asked for and where way more attentive than more "experienced" ones that have just said "no you can't do that" and then chopped of too much length and/or where not careful at all.

I think the best way to prevent misunderstandings is to go to someone who actually seems interested in your vision and hair overall. Someone who is bored is most likely not going to treat you or your hair well but instead as just another product that needs to be fixed as fast as possible. The last time I cut my hair at a salon I went there with already knot free and damp clean hair since I don't want -cones or someone combing my hair when wet which seems to be the most common problem. Also I already knew her from before and she is always honest and don't try to sell me a lot of stuff I don't want or add extra fees. Even though I have been cutting my own hair for years and do both "big" chops, micro-trimming and styling I'm thinking about going there again because it would be nice to have someone else do it for once haha and I guess that's my best tip: if you find someone you like or at least can work with - continue to go to them! It not only assures you that you will have a predictable result that you like it also supports someone who does a good job! If it is someone at a big studio get their card in case you forget their name since there can be very differently skilled people at the same place.

Kelda I think you are right, some hairstylist seem to loathe long hair, especially hair that has not been damaged by heat or bleach/colouring. When something is important to me I can be quite assertive so the worst thing that happened to me has been fees added later (not for long hair though!) or not agreed on in the beginning and oh, this one time I got chunks of hair ripped out while she combed my hair with the colour already in it and assured me that it was normal... after that I was never silent again as soon as I noticed something off about someones techniques and learned to care for my own hair. A friend I had on the other hand has had her hair chopped at neck I don't know how many times when just asking for a trim no matter if it was BSL or MBL and she had beautiful super shiny and silky 1c virgin hair. Once we went to the same place since I was satisfied the last time I was there but the stylist she got looked like she had some serious envy-problems and after a big chop tried to style it against her head as flat as she could and when that didn't work since my friends hair was thick she used tons of unnecessary heat on it and it looked exactly the same when she was done. Then she just stomped away and had someone else remove the robe/poncho and care for the payment. We never went to that place again hah

XiaoBaiTu
November 17th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Reading this makes me glad that I've never been to a salon! Actually, I've never really had a "haircut", my mom used to trim it a bit every couple years when I was growing up. Now I take care of it myself, no regrets. It's sad though, because I've always pictured going to a hair salon as something that would be special and luxurious. Oh well.

librarychick
November 17th, 2016, 04:17 PM
I had a bunch of mediocre hair cuts for years, but nothing abysmal.

I finally decided to get serious about growing my hair, so I asked on my local community page for long hair recommendations. I phoned all the people suggested and asked about prices and what they'd quote me for my tailbone length thick hair, and chose the lady who seemed the nicest and asked the best questions.

I've seen her every 6 months since, and she's awesome. She actually loves my hair, treats it nicely, and is super careful not to take too much.

I can speak a bit to the 'why do you just sit there and let them take a bunch off' though. I have pretty terrible eye sight (-7.5 and -7.75 for each of my eyes), so once my glasses are off I'm very much at the mercy of the stylist. Some will hold up a bit of hair and ask how much you want cut, but for me to get a good look it has to be 2 inches from my nose, so I'm mostly guessing if it's farther away than that. I've left an appointment and not realized until after the first wash that I'd had a fair bit more cut off. Obviously nothing super crazy, but since I usually get them to straighten my hair if they have time I don't always notice it's shorter than anticipated until later.

My current wonderful stylist works out of her own home, books her appointments with plenty of room, and holds my hair up for the check right un front of my face. She's great.

TL;DR - ask on a community facebook page for long hair stylist recommendations! Sometimes you can find gold. :)

Tassledown
November 17th, 2016, 07:04 PM
All of this reminds me of why I'm simply not going to a hair salon ever again. I've simply never been able to find anyone who can communicate with me about what I want. This isn't helped by me having very little ability to do much with my hair while having really curly hair (for my family) and thus no idea what to do with it. Since none of the stylists ever knew more than my family, I was just in a fog of confusion about why I couldn't do anything with my hair forever.

It's weird when you're a quiet person and someone is doing something awful at the hair salon. For me, the problem tends to be that communicating with people is exhausting on its own due to my social anxiety, so dealing with someone who can tell I have very little idea of what I want means that they often assume that I just need helpful suggestions about what would be best - whether or not it really resembles what I asked for. I wound up with a chin-length bob I absolutely did not want when trying to go short for the second-to-last time that was only corrected when I had a new friend shave my head for me. I went to a salon to get that redone once, then bought my own clippers to do it myself after. It was just too much. I'm not ever going back. I'm tired of having other people's ideas of what will look good shoved on me.

Nothing has ever really compared to how much I like long hair and updos and I'm really sad it took me that long to realize it.

missmelaniem
November 17th, 2016, 07:54 PM
I was about 12 or 13 for my first salon cut... my sister treated me to a professional haircut (she is 3 years older). I think my hair was at least waist length and my sisters was almost as long. She did a nice neat little trim and told me to comb my conditioner through my hair to help with split ends. It was my best salon visit ever, I think. I remember it very fondly. I have so many salon stories though :)

Llama
November 17th, 2016, 08:01 PM
Just sitting there and cringing through the discomfort of a bad stylist is easier than having an argument and creating a scene I guess. Especially for those of us who are polite and/or shy in social situations.
It's not an easy spot to be in.

Flipgirl24
November 17th, 2016, 10:36 PM
If you're referring to my pixie, Nope I didn't complain. I'm not assertive enough!
It was only 6 months growth, so Id' got to a mullety mid neck bob stage.
I went in a few days before for a free consultation, with pictures of a straight chin length bob & a side undercut to check my hair was long enough to do it.
I said,
'I'm growing it long, I've not had it cut at all for six months, Id like a bob style whilst I continue to grow it out. I used to dye it a lot but I'm trying not to, so can I have an undercut with patterns in to keep it edgy?'
She reassured me yep it was fine, that's doable.
When I went for the hair cut - she told me she couldn't remember what the pictures looked like - she scrolled through her phone & found one of Frankie from the Saturdays - she has asymmetric shaved side and sweeping fringe pixie cut on the other side - I said nope - that's not it straight chin length bob with undercut. She noted that some of my layers were a bit short, even though she had agreed previously.
I said and I'd quite like an under cut at the back, in a pointed triangle shape ^ like that too maybe? Again she she said yep that's fine. Then proceeded to give me a diagonal asymmetric under cut at the back / I don't know if she did it deliberately or because I was not clear enough in my communication. The she suggested that an asymmetric bob would suit the undercut shape better. I reminded her that I was trying to grow my hair long - she said well you've only been growing it a few months, if it was 3 years she'd be more wary about chopping it off. I was not very assertive it was a bit like pressure selling and she was a trained hairdresser so I trusted she'd know what suited me - it was a very nice hair cut - but not what I'd asked for - I suspect she'd been trained on certain styles that were trendy at the moment & only knew how to do those cuts?
I said can we put the patterns in my undercut now - I don't mind what, chevrons, lines a star? She said, well you see the thing is with patterns they grow out very quickly so what's the point. I said that's ok I'm going to a wedding tomorrow - so I'd like something cool & trendy in my hair it only has to last for one day - she just kind of ignored my request- I suspect she just didn't know how to do it - or perhaps their salon was too posh to do something a bit punky.
It cost me £40 plus a tip which I smiled and handed over because I don't want to piss off the hair dressers in case I needed another hair cut - although I have not been back there since.
However, every other time I have been there I have normally had a pleasant time being pampered and looked after and left with a great cut - If somewhat dodgily styled e.g. beautiful pixie cut but they've some how blowdried it to look like Sharon Osbourne in the 90s.
I quite often end up having my hair cut by the same guy - god knows why I didn't ask for him specifically - he is great - he knows how to cut hair to emphasise the curliness - If I ever dare go back I will be asking for him next time.
And that's where I'm at now 4 months grow out with all crazy different lengths and I want a basic trim so I can grow out a more even bob, but I'm terrified they'll chop it all back by several inches.

You even had consultations prior to the cut! And she forgot what you wanted? She should have written it down. Many places have cards for each client. Anyway, the best thing to do is not go to her again and warn other people!

restless
November 18th, 2016, 03:19 AM
It's sad though, because I've always pictured going to a hair salon as something that would be special and luxurious.

Yeah, I like the idea of going to a salon: you go somewhere fancy to spoil yourself and get pampered for a while and then you walk out of there, feeling brand new and awesome. Unfortunatly, that rarely happens. I can only remember one time (out of many!) when I felt happy with the experience and the result. Most of the time Ive just felt miserable, both during and after the visit. Sitting there under the bright lights, looking like a drenched cat just isnt enough. You have to put up with other stuff too:

* A hairdresser went on and on and on about how thin my hair was/is. She was standing there, combing it and kept repeating to herself "Oh my gawd, its so thin. Its SO thin!" in pure amazement, like she just couldnt believe it. Okay, my hair is fine and rather thin, but come on...?

* I did some really expensive straightening treatment that was supposed to last for months. Twice. It didnt work at all.

* I asked for sideswept bangs as a teen and walked out of there, looking like something from the 70s.

* I was 18, shy and awkward, and the hairdresser was loud and chatty. She asked me how old I was and I replied and then she asked me if I was going to the senior prom later that year. I said "no" and she then stated "so nobody asked you to go with them, huh?". I was mortified.

So no. Im done with that.

Silverbleed
November 18th, 2016, 04:20 AM
Yeah, I like the idea of going to a salon: you go somewhere fancy to spoil yourself and get pampered for a while and then you walk out of there, feeling brand new and awesome. Unfortunatly, that rarely happens. I can only remember one time (out of many!) when I felt happy with the experience and the result. Most of the time Ive just felt miserable, both during and after the visit. Sitting there under the bright lights, looking like a drenched cat just isnt enough. You have to put up with other stuff too:

* A hairdresser went on and on and on about how thin my hair was/is. She was standing there, combing it and kept repeating to herself "Oh my gawd, its so thin. Its SO thin!" in pure amazement, like she just couldnt believe it. Okay, my hair is fine and rather thin, but come on...?[...]

Could have been me who wrote this.

I just don't understand, especially the thin part. They're hairdressers, haven't they seen any other people with thin hair?

If the day comes I would like to cut it, I think I'll try Feye's technique. I'm kinda done with salons. Good hairdressers seem very rare. I hope I'll find my perfect hairdresser one day. He/she will have a client for life haha.

lapushka
November 18th, 2016, 04:47 AM

It only happened to me when I wanted a short cut (bob @chin) and it was damage-repair, these past times I went through it. That was such a relief. Sometimes hairdressers can be lifesavers.

But I wouldn't go out there with the idea of getting "pampered" when your hair is long already. No way.

I would even venture out to say that most hairdressers aren't equipped to treat long hair (wash basin too shallow, combs too thin, brushes too harsh, etc...), and when they need to cut in layers into long hair, they need elastic arms (because you can hardly hold all that hair at an angle). So it's not easy for them either, which is why I think they are so big on trims and nice, neat, short cuts. It's easier to run through clients that way.

There's a reason I have my own hair layered at home with a compact cut! ;)

OhSuzi
November 18th, 2016, 05:57 AM
Library Chick - "I can speak a bit to the 'why do you just sit there and let them take a bunch off' though. I have pretty terrible eye sight (-7.5 and -7.75 for each of my eyes), so once my glasses are off I'm very much at the mercy of the stylist."

Ditto this! I have to take my specs off to get my hair cut and then I cant even see my face in the mirror properly. New lesson learned, invest in some contact lenses before venturing to hairdressers. (If I ever go back)

Plus I might say, gimme a long bob - go short at the back but take no more than 1/2 on inch off the front. They cut just 1/2 an inch off the front - but then the hairdresser brushes your front hair upwards along with another chunk of hair, chops into it all - 'Im just adding texture layers, the length will still be the same over all', suddenly the front is another inch shorter twice as thin and you couldn't tell that was what was happening until its too late.

Plus I'm a bit quiet and awkward even if someone is ruining my hair, I'm so English and reserved, I don't want to cause a scene or be thought of as one of those girls who's overly precious & demanding about their hair, or ask the hair dresser to stop chopping at a certain bit and show them I have no faith in them, because they still have to cut the rest.

I guess it's a tricky thing because it's your hair and its a part of you - so you'd really need to trust each other - asking them to stop or telling them they've done it wrong is kind of a breakdown in trust and a criticism of their skill / artistry.

I remember getting chalk paints for Christmas my friends and I were all sticking it in our hair. One friend who is very particular, said, will you put some in my hair for me, I want dark green. We pointed out the dark green against her dark hair would not stand out. So she chose a bright blue. We said lets do the last inch of your hair like it's been dip dyed. She said no that's too much hair, just do my fringe. So we did.
She looked at herself in the mirror and was super angry - You've all got cool streaks of colour, but I have a colour I didn't even want and it's slap bang in the middle of my face I look stupid. Now I've got to go and wash my fringe out. Which she did and then stained white towels with blue hair chalk. Then she refused to come out with us that evening because we'd wrecked her hair (as her perfectly dried & straightened fringe was now a bit fluffy and dry) and she was in a bad mood.

So I get it both sides really. Hair can be an extension of who you are & it can make you feel great or knock your confidence.
From the hair dressers or in that instance me and my friends perspective, we're not mind readers, we don't know what you're expectations / your vision was or if it was totally unrealistic. We tried to advise you on the best colour & we tried to listen to you about where you wanted the colour even though we thought it would be better not on the fringe. (It actually looked OK). Maybe she wouldn't have been happy with whatever we did as she just felt that our hair was cool because we were confident with it & her hair was messed up because she wasn't feeling confident about it.
From her perspective she thought people she trusted to touch her hair, that she'd probably taken a lot of time over earlier to make perfect, had messed it up and possibly deliberately as everyone else had in her opinion nice hair.

Annalouise
November 18th, 2016, 06:08 AM

* A hairdresser went on and on and on about how thin my hair was/is. She was standing there, combing it and kept repeating to herself "Oh my gawd, its so thin. Its SO thin!" in pure amazement, like she just couldnt believe it. Okay, my hair is fine and rather thin, but come on...?

That happened to me also the last time I went to a professional. Unfortunately, we get this response from a lot of people. It gets really annoying. Sometimes I get a bit :steam

When I was young I had the most angelic stylist. She was ALWAYS so wonderful. She put essential oils on my scalp and gave me a massage. She always ran a paddle brush over my scalp as that is also very relaxing. And after styling my hair she would put some lipstick on me before I walked out the door. So sweet. And she was so knowledgeable too and she always educated me about my hair and told me what to do with it and what not to do with it.
I have not had that kind of salon experience in 20 years that's why I don't go to salons anymore.:( I guess its the economy also. People used to have more time and now they have to work so hard to pay their bills by cramming in as many clients as possible. So if you wanted that treatment you'd have to pay a couple hundred dollars by today's standards.

M.McDonough
November 19th, 2016, 07:54 AM
You do know of Feye's method, right? ;)
Sorry about the late response. You guys may have told me about Feye's method before, but it probably won't work if you wanna cut off like 6 or 7 inches. It already sounds tough in my head, to be honest. What about the bangs, the top, the sides. It's tricky.

lapushka
November 19th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Sorry about the late response. You guys may have told me about Feye's method before, but it probably won't work if you wanna cut off like 6 or 7 inches. It already sounds tough in my head, to be honest. What about the bangs, the top, the sides. It's tricky.

Why won't it work? I went from hip to BSL with the method. I just made sure when cutting dry, my waves were combed and brushed out (end of the week, right before a wash).

It worked just fine for me. I had my mom cut it off for me (I have a disability, so it's not that easy.)

Just give it a go. The first time is always awkward, I know. :)

M.McDonough
November 19th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Why won't it work? I went from hip to BSL with the method. I just made sure when cutting dry, my waves were combed and brushed out (end of the week, right before a wash).

It worked just fine for me. I had my mom cut it off for me (I have a disability, so it's not that easy.)

Cuz I ruin everything, that's :angry:why..But I'd rather ruin my hair myself than have somebody else ruin it for me lol.

Moonfall
November 19th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Reading some of the replies on here makes me cringe. I have a serious phobia of anything that has to do with hair cutting, so those stories about 'just' going for a trim (which is the subject of many, many nightmares of mine on its own) and ending up with a completely different, much shorter haircut... oh my :run: It makes me realize even more how deeply one needs to trust a stylist. I've always had my hair one length, so if a stylist would trim off too much of one chunk, that would either mean I'd need to change my hairstyle or that all of it would need to be cut that length. :couch:

I've had this fear ever since I was little, although I've been exposed to it 3-4 times a year uptil the age of 18. Needless to say, I've had a lot of negative salon experiences (in fact, I can't remember a single positive one). I've always wanted to grow my hair really, really long, so I always told the stylists to only trim off only what was really needed to go in order to maintain a thick hemline. This was also the case when I was a child, and I was often upset since the stylists took off way too much - I was always stuck at BSL and I didn't get why. My mom turned out to be the culprit, secretly gesturing towards the stylist to take off at least 5 cm. :sad So at the age of, I guess 11, I began visiting the salon without taking her. They still cut way too much. After reading these stories I'm really glad I never ended up with a different haircut. Although they clearly thought my one-length hair was boring (they asked me if I wanted layers every time and sometimes even multiple times during a visit), they always cut it straight across. But, still BSL each time. Aside from the hair cutting itself, salon visits were something I dreaded because the stylists would often tell me my hair was "desperately in need of a trim, so dry and brittle - never seen it on anyone else" and it just crushed my hopes of ever growing my hair long. They would often ask me if I had bleached my hair or something, and then advised me to use a hair mask :rolleyes:. The sad thing is, I've always been 100% natural, this really is what my hair is like and I have tried so much to get it to behave, but it clearly has a mind of its own. Those salon visits didn't only ruin my chances of ever growing my hair past APL, but also crushed my self esteem which was already something I had issues with. So when I turned 18, I decided I'd had enough of salons, and I began to S&D and asked my partner (not my mom, of course!) to trim my hair every now and then.

I can't say that I'm happy with my hair at this point. It is about MBL now, which is great - but my hemline is no longer a thick one. I am now 22 and a few years ago, my partner went to visit a salon and I went with her to confront my fear by just watching her. The stylist seemed like a friendly lady to me and she often asked my partner if she wanted to trim off more or not and then did whatever she said. I asked her professional opinion on my hair, and told her about my hair journey. I know it's my own fault, I should've never asked her - but what she told me really upset me and it still does. Her reply was, "Long hair can be so beautiful, but only when it's healthy. I think you'd need to cut back to APL at least." Although I was insecure about my hair (and still am), I definitely knew and still know I do not want to go back to APL. When I politely told her "I'd think about it", she seemed kind of surprised and didn't appear to understand why I wouldn't let her do that. Of course she didn't. [insert broken heart emoticon]

lapushka
November 19th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Cuz I ruin everything, that's :angry:why..But I'd rather ruin my hair myself than have somebody else ruin it for me lol.

Oh come on, I'm sure you'll do just fine! Start with 1cm or half an inch and see what that does. :)

Stepo_NiNha
November 22nd, 2016, 06:56 AM
Who likes horror movies? I have a lot of horror stories to tell:cool:

truepeacenik
November 22nd, 2016, 09:12 AM

Do you set the positioning for your mom, or does she do it all?

It's really easy for me to do the method on someone else, but far trickier to get the trim even on myself.
So, I can't say the method is simple, but it is, indeed quite doable.

On the topic of stylists and "being so English" or shy:
First, on the English bit, is the stylist English, too? Perhaps could act like the stylist when in the shop.
As for shy, this is your money and time investment. You have to live with whatever they do for a long time.
Speak up for yourselves. Be adult. Be strong. Make it about the money if they chop when they should trim. Make it hurt them. Put up online reviews, naming names. If they don't offer to make it right in some way. (But don't double dip for revenge, and be realistic)

ive been there. Not with chemical treatments, but the chop versus trim.
I sort of understand why the woman saw six of 30+ inches as a trim, in porportion. I think of trims in absolute numbers, and I had stated that. But I got the "good for you" cut, as in getting rid of all that dry end would be good for you.
Great. So would you buying my lunch for the next two weeks to make up for the cost.
I took a few days so I wouldn't yell, but I did talk to her.
Yes, my ends were fab. But what it means two years out is I'm NOT at knee length.
Dammit. :justy:

She apologized and offered a blow out. I almost graciously declined.

I see her mid length clients and they look and seem to feel amazing. I'd suggest her to non length gainers who want styling.

lapushka
November 23rd, 2016, 09:40 AM
Do you set the positioning for your mom, or does she do it all?

It's really easy for me to do the method on someone else, but far trickier to get the trim even on myself.
So, I can't say the method is simple, but it is, indeed quite doable.

I tend to comb&brush the waves out, but I get help getting it all forward (chore, I tell you) and in place for chopping, then she basically has already taken over by tying it off to get it ready. :) If that makes sense?

Cherrys
November 23rd, 2016, 10:49 AM
I haven't been to a salon since I was maybe 12. (I say salon, in reality it was a Supercuts) and I was having my butt length hair cut into a bob (my choice, though obviously now I wish I hadn't) and the stylist actually tried to talk me out of it and talk my mother out of letting me because I had such beautiful long hair.

I really wish I could justify going to a hair salon for myself, I definitely see it as a fun/pampering thing. But I would just get a trim, which I can easily do myself, so it seems wasteful of time/money. Now that I see all the horror stories you ladies have to share, maybe it's not a good idea!

I agree with NorraVarg, though, speak up if it's going badly. I know it's awkward, especially if you're shy, but you'll never have to see that person again, but you will have to live with the hair they give you. You're the paying customer and you should leave happy. Or at the very least, not be subject to blatant rudeness.

Zindell
November 24th, 2016, 01:13 AM

No problem at all to uses Feye's method to cut of 6-7 inches. :D

In fact it will work in your favour. You can start out cutting let's say 2 inches... and then check in the mirror how it went. Then just keep working yourself upwards. Since you have quite a bit to work on you'll learn during the process, and there is time to fix things.

A tip... If you get frustrated. Cut a little one day.. then take a rest and get on it the next day again.

I have been using Feye's method for a few years now and I am sooo happy I learned it! Never again will I go to a hairstylist.

I find it easier to cut when it's past APL, but recently I cut it from BSL'ish to shoulder length (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=3254959#post3254959), since I wanted my hair to even up with my grown out bangs.

Coral Grimes
November 24th, 2016, 03:28 AM
I think most English people have at some point had a crap haircut, after which they smiled, said they loved it and of course tipped on the way out. It's one of those things that's just in our genes, like queueing, and apologising to people when they bump into you. ;)

I had some hairdressing disasters as a teenager (I know I never asked for pee yellow highlights in my fringe) but the worst one by far was when I was about 13. My mum persuaded me to get a perm for my cousin's wedding, I wasn't really bothered either way so I went along with it. Anyway, my sensitive skin/scalp must have reacted badly as the stuff was burning my head the entire time. I kept telling the stylist and she would just say not much longer and then wander off again. It got to the point where I was squeezing my mum's hand and had tears streaming down my face. When she finally took everything off and went to rinse my hair my forehead was bleeding. I ended up with big scabs that had to be covered up with makeup. I absolutely loved my big curly hair afterwards but that experience put me off perms for life!

mindwiped
November 24th, 2016, 04:00 AM
One of my biggest stylest rants was a weird situation. My mother and I had been using a lady at a mid priced salon, and loved her. She did an amazing version of the spiral perm (it was the 1980-90s). She moved from that salon to a Fantastic Sams, and her cuts were still ok, but I had her perm my hair again, I even told her I'd pay the other salon's price, so I could get that quality of perm again. Nope, it lasted until the first shampoo, a total waste of money. That was the last time I used her.

Before I found the person I have and love now, I'd just get a trim from whomever, since it was usually just trimming longer hair, no biggie. After my wedding I'd lost another person I really liked, and went with the available person, who didn't listen to me, cut my hair way too short, and unevenly, one side was an inch longer than the other, and it wasn't supposed to be an asymmetrical bob. I did my best to ignore it for about six months, to give me some growth to work with, and went to the amazing person I use now. If I say I just want a trim, that's all I get, unless he notices something and asks about cutting for it (damage or once a really bad spot in my wave pattern, it would have look ed really strange if he hadn't cut a bit more).

The other place I've had really good luck with is actually hair styling schools, so long as I say I want half as much trimmed as I really want (for example a half inch trim to get an inch cut). Once I even had a lady truly listen, and just give me the dusting I requested. I tipped her 100% the cost of the cut (still less than $20 USD), to reinforce the listening and doing what was asked for advice.

IsisMoon
November 24th, 2016, 04:06 AM
I think most English people have at some point had a crap haircut, after which they smiled, said they loved it and of course tipped on the way out. It's one of those things that's just in our genes, like queueing, and apologising to people when they bump into you. ;)

I had some hairdressing disasters as a teenager (I know I never asked for pee yellow highlights in my fringe) but the worst one by far was when I was about 13. My mum persuaded me to get a perm for my cousin's wedding, I wasn't really bothered either way so I went along with it. Anyway, my sensitive skin/scalp must have reacted badly as the stuff was burning my head the entire time. I kept telling the stylist and she would just say not much longer and then wander off again. It got to the point where I was squeezing my mum's hand and had tears streaming down my face. When she finally took everything off and went to rinse my hair my forehead was bleeding. I ended up with big scabs that had to be covered up with makeup. I absolutely loved my big curly hair afterwards but that experience put me off perms for life!

:agape: :run::bigeyes: :shocked: :disbelief:

Oh my GOD!! I avoid hairdessers like the plague and after reading this thread, and especially the quoted bleeding post, I'm glad I do. Eeeek!
I, much like most posters here, always had my hair chopped off more than requested so I got fed up and stopped going completely.

FullofGrace
November 24th, 2016, 04:14 AM
Hi, I'm fairly new here and I also feel I've never liked a hair cut from a salon. My mother mostly trimmed my hair as a child except the one time she took me to a Fantastic Sams and told the lady that I was always pushing my hair behind my ears and it was driving her crazy, could she fix it? Well this lady just cuts the hair off above my ears. I was so upset, it looked ridiculous, and my mother says that's not what she wanted, but too late! Damage done. I have this terrible habit of growing out my hair and then getting it cut off but then hating the cut. So I am here now perusing these boards on a regular basis in order to encourage myself to maintain and grow. I find for the price of the salon visit being $100-160 and never being happy that I am just going to give up going and master this Freye method.

Temme
November 24th, 2016, 04:24 AM
Who likes horror movies? I have a lot of horror stories to tell:cool:

Go for it!

ZombieTeddybear
November 28th, 2016, 04:57 PM
A couple years back, I popped into some random salon for a trim. Specifically "Can you take off about half an inch and maybe thin it some?"
30 minutes later, I've had 2.5" lopped off (seemed like more at only APL) and layers. My thick hair doesn't do well with layers. I did not pay for that cut.

But I recently had 12" cut off (by choice) by my lovely SIL and I couldn't be happier. Even if I kept grabbing it and muttering "it's so short" all day, to which my MIL would reply "...it's at your hips still.."

quadrivii
November 30th, 2016, 09:48 AM
All these awful stories make me feel very lucky - I'm growing out from a pixie cut and currently about chin length and it's driving me NUTS. I went to get my color done Sunday and the stylist said "why are you booked for a haircut? The only way you get longer hair is by not cutting it. Come back in six weeks, we'll maybe even out the back, but your ends are healthy, you don't need a haircut."
I know there's a surcharge for people with hair longer than APL, though, because they have to book more time for washing and drying. Probably to avoid rushing people out with wet heads.

Serimel
December 4th, 2016, 06:02 AM
I shouldn't have started reading this thread :blueeek: I've been trying to collect courage for a salon trim for months now but this sent me 10 steps backwards again. I've only had one positive salon experience in my life but the place closed and I never found that dude again. I guess I have no choice but to start learning myself...

Erizu
December 4th, 2016, 10:19 AM
I suppose I'm lucky too... I've never had a truly bad hair salon experience! I think I might have had one 'trim' when too much was cut off and that scared me (and still does!). When I was younger my grandparents took me to this very secluded stylist and, if I remember correctly, she only did what was asked. My trips to the stylist are absolutely minimal also and I don't think I'll be going again anytime soon... I might start trimming myself. :o

Amy-Lee
September 17th, 2020, 03:26 PM
You want to hear a horrible salon experience? Here is one that will make your skin crawl. First, I've been to over 30 hairstylists. Only ONE was good. There was one in particular who made me rethink ever going to a salon again. I remember walking in the salon 4 years ago and had a very bad feeling, but brushed it off. This guy didn't even explain was he was going to do after I told him that all I wanted was my hair dye cut off. I wanted to start fresh. He quickly grabbed the thinning shears. I jumped and told him I did not want those used on my head, even though my hair was thick. He was MADDDDDD!! He then took a dull razor and started ripping out a third of my hair. I could feel the blood on my scalp. When he was done, I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. I could barely get up. At home, I looked in the mirror. I was in shock. My entire scalp was covered in dried blood. :agape: I could not believe he actually did that to me. It felt like I was actually assaulted by a crazy person. Imagine if he did that to a child? I was on pain meds for a week. That was the last time I've ever set foot in a salon. Never again.

lapushka
September 17th, 2020, 04:06 PM
You want to hear a horrible salon experience? Here is one that will make your skin crawl. First, I've been to over 30 hairstylists. Only ONE was good. There was one in particular who made me rethink ever going to a salon again. I remember walking in the salon 4 years ago and had a very bad feeling, but brushed it off. This guy didn't even explain was he was going to do after I told him that all I wanted was my hair dye cut off. I wanted to start fresh. He quickly grabbed the thinning shears. I jumped and told him I did not want those used on my head, even though my hair was thick. He was MADDDDDD!! He then took a dull razor and started ripping out a third of my hair. I could feel the blood on my scalp. When he was done, I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. I could barely get up. At home, I looked in the mirror. I was in shock. My entire scalp was covered in dried blood. :agape: I could not believe he actually did that to me. It felt like I was actually assaulted by a crazy person. Imagine if he did that to a child? I was on pain meds for a week. That was the last time I've ever set foot in a salon. Never again.

You did not go to the police, or have this guy reported? This is plain assault. Blood on the scalp? What?

darklyndsea
September 17th, 2020, 08:40 PM
Okay, so how do you tell before things go bad whether the hairstylist will actually do what you want them to do? I mean, some of them are blatantly scissor-happy, but others seem fine until you're suddenly a foot shorter. And what's the best way to make absolutely certain that there's no miscommunication? Other than bringing in a picture of the Sutherland sisters. Is there anything I can tell them that will make it easier for them to do their job, since I doubt anyone I go to will have cut calf-length hair before?

And if things do go wrong, what recourse do you have? If I walk into a salon with my calf-length hair and say I want a trim, and walk out with shoulder-length hair, can I just... not pay them? Since they blatantly did not give me what I asked for? Or is the only thing I can do not giving a tip and leaving angry reviews all over the internet? And cry, like I did that time my classic hair went to shoulder instead of BSL.

Jo Ann
September 17th, 2020, 08:56 PM
Good first question, Darklyndsea--unfortunately, you can't tell.

As far as what to do if "things go wrong," NOT paying is absolutely an option--you did NOT get the service you requested. In the scenario you presented, how do they even hope to make it "right"??

Hexana
September 18th, 2020, 02:32 AM
If I would go to a salon for a trim, I would probably (before even sitting in the chair) very seriously say that I don't want more cut off than xx. I would even Show them the length between my fingers, just to emphasize it.

Regarding what to do after it's done, you absolutely don't have to pay. If anything you could even request compensation (if you are not too shy of a person) if they really screwed something up.

Hexen
September 18th, 2020, 02:46 AM
Tis the benefits of having a stylist that you have known for dang near 30 years.

Lucy McLucyFace
September 18th, 2020, 03:20 AM
These stories are horrifying and I'm feeling angry just reading them. But I just want to bring in a little something to consider.
Most hair salons have very tight profits, some are even non-profit. And all their prices and apointment durations are estimated for the average customer's hair (usually very short to APL) so anything that deviates from that, be it longer, thicker or more texturized, will make them lose money. So if I were to walk into a salon with waist length hair and asked for just a trim I'd probably make them lose money with all the extra product, water and blow dry time.
It's no wonder they get so grumpy and pressure you to get layers or bangs. They want to cash in some more money since they already lost a lot with the washing and drying process.

Jo Ann
September 18th, 2020, 03:34 AM
With all due respect, Lucy, if you're going in for a trim, why would you need a shampoo and blow-dry? My hair's usually spritzed down with water and trimmed--no further styling needed. If I do have a service done, like having my roots bleached, I don't even ask for a style or blow-dry; my hair's shampooed, rinsed, conditioned, then I pay and leave. :flower:

Lucy McLucyFace
September 18th, 2020, 08:27 AM
With all due respect, Lucy, if you're going in for a trim, why would you need a shampoo and blow-dry? My hair's usually spritzed down with water and trimmed--no further styling needed. If I do have a service done, like having my roots bleached, I don't even ask for a style or blow-dry; my hair's shampooed, rinsed, conditioned, then I pay and leave. :flower:

It's just common practice here and I imagine in other places too. The only exception is if you only go there to maintain bangs

Dark40
September 18th, 2020, 08:59 AM
Awwww, I'm so sorry you went through that bad experience. It's best if you're gonna go get your hair done at a salon to ask a close friend or relative of where they go get their hair done. I don't like letting all kinds of strange people doing my hair. That's one of the main reasons why I don't go to the salon today. That's why I relax, wash, color, blow dry, and flat iron my own hair. Because, I always know how I want it done, and how much hair I want to take off.

I know sometimes I like to go to the salon to get pampered but not all of the time.

lapushka
September 18th, 2020, 10:43 AM
Okay, so how do you tell before things go bad whether the hairstylist will actually do what you want them to do? I mean, some of them are blatantly scissor-happy, but others seem fine until you're suddenly a foot shorter. And what's the best way to make absolutely certain that there's no miscommunication? Other than bringing in a picture of the Sutherland sisters. Is there anything I can tell them that will make it easier for them to do their job, since I doubt anyone I go to will have cut calf-length hair before?

And if things do go wrong, what recourse do you have? If I walk into a salon with my calf-length hair and say I want a trim, and walk out with shoulder-length hair, can I just... not pay them? Since they blatantly did not give me what I asked for? Or is the only thing I can do not giving a tip and leaving angry reviews all over the internet? And cry, like I did that time my classic hair went to shoulder instead of BSL.

How have you maintained it before?

Is Feye's an option? At all?

darklyndsea
September 18th, 2020, 12:28 PM
I've been cutting it myself. But my hair is significantly longer than my arms, which makes it difficult to do myself and be at all sure of the evenness of the hem. Or what length it'll end up once I make the snip.

Jo Ann
September 18th, 2020, 02:44 PM
When I've done Feye's method, I use a hardcover book to get a straight line--but that's just me.

Rhodugune
September 18th, 2020, 03:47 PM
I've been cutting it myself. But my hair is significantly longer than my arms, which makes it difficult to do myself and be at all sure of the evenness of the hem. Or what length it'll end up once I make the snip.

I join in with those who has recommended Feye's selftrim method to you, no matter if you prefer a blunt hemline or U- or V-shaped one.
My hair is about midthigh now and I've been using it to trim my hair for many years now, since my hair was about tailbone.
Even though it seems unlikely that you haven't heard of this method before, having been a member here since 2011, I will share some helpful links.
Hopefully others, if not you will find them helpful.
The original description of the method, using helpful photos.
Feye's Hair Trimming Instructions — LiveJournal:
https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

A Youtube tutorial showing the method being use on about midback long hair.
Self-trimming my hair (Feye's method, U-cut)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Erf49Eyxc

Rhodugune
September 18th, 2020, 03:48 PM
A Youtube tutorial showing the method being use on about classic long hair.
Feye's Self Trim Method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BueOJzBD8qc

lapushka
September 18th, 2020, 04:38 PM

If you put the elastic where your arms can reach, your hair is fixed solid. If you then take it to the front, and continue to band it along that fixed first band (does that make any sense), then you will be sure to cut straight.