PDA

View Full Version : Seriously thick hair ...suggestions for wearing it up?

seaweed_maenad
November 15th, 2016, 08:39 PM
I have crazy thick hair approaching waist length (soon!). I tried getting some pretty wooden hair sticks and was so excited to try them out until MY HAIR ATE THEM. They were the wooden kind with pretty mother of pearl ends and they literally snapped in half (2 out of the 4 I got :justy::justy: my hair eats plastic clips as well and most elastic bands (the devil, I know but I'm reaching out for options here). Any ladies with impossibly thick hair have some tips, tricks and tools of the trade to suggest?:confused:

Strands
November 15th, 2016, 09:33 PM
I might suggest getting a Tusk? The four pronged hair toys? I have seen them on here with ladies with VERY thick hair... Can someone vouch if I am right or wrong here? I have no idea. LOL

Decoy24601
November 15th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Your hair might be just a little too short to start using hair sticks yet. If you use the hair sticks properly, you should not be putting anywhere near enough pressure on them to snap even wooden ones. When I was first able to start doing buns (only a LWB) at TBL I only snapped one and that was because I was trying to force it into a nautilus with waaaaay too much pressure. If you need that much help prying the stick into the bun, then it's simply too tight and you'll need to wait until your hair gets a little longer when you can start making them looser.

I have a 5" ponytail circumference, for the record.

ETA: What's your pony circumference?

Entangled
November 15th, 2016, 10:31 PM
Sectioning your buns is probably your best bet.

Nique1202
November 16th, 2016, 05:14 AM
The disc bun reduces the tension needed to hold all the hair up, because the loops and the stick work against each other and trap the length in the middle. That was my go-to until I hit bcl and a nautilus finally started to hold well for me.

lapushka
November 16th, 2016, 06:17 AM
Have you ever measured your ponytail circumference. I suggest doing so. You just make a ponytail, and measure next to the elastic (don't include the elastic band in your measurement, it's common sense, but I'm just stating the obvious, because... you never know). ;)

Ficcares or Flexi8s might be good, but sizing depends on your circumference.

Anya15
November 16th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Your hair might be just a little too short to start using hair sticks yet. If you use the hair sticks properly, you should not be putting anywhere near enough pressure on them to snap even wooden ones. When I was first able to start doing buns (only a LWB) at TBL I only snapped one and that was because I was trying to force it into a nautilus with waaaaay too much pressure. If you need that much help prying the stick into the bun, then it's simply too tight and you'll need to wait until your hair gets a little longer when you can start making them looser.

I have a 5" ponytail circumference, for the record.

ETA: What's your pony circumference?

Seconded. I still cannot do any buns properly and like Decoy I too have a 5" circumference.

meteor
November 16th, 2016, 08:17 AM
Try sectioned updos and multiple buns. The thicker and shorter the hair is, the more sections or separate buns you may need to do.

Also, you may find braided buns helpful. I only recently started being able to do un-braided buns that actually managed to stay... there is something about the braid that "corrals" thickness and makes it easier to bun if the hair is super-thick.

Sectioned bun options:
- torrinpaige's tips (mostly doing a half-up bun and then twisting/braiding and wrapping the remaining hair around): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w
- three braid updo pinterest board (some of those ideas can work on thick hair): https://www.pinterest.com/pin/279434351854386262/
- Regency updo: e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhDAeaBggyA
- coronets + bun combo: e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidfxVXUyNw
- multiple coronets/heidi/milkmaid braids

Personally, I like braiding and bunning top section, then splitting bottom section into 2 sides (right and left), braiding both (sometimes using different braid techniques, for interest) and wrapping them around the base bun kind of like coronets or frames.

Multiple bun options:
- vertically sectioned (fauxhawk): e.g. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0WWm0XZx7HA/UCClgKQaUDI/AAAAAAAAEGc/f944qrUkSkg/s1600/polished+bun+hawk+pin.jpg
- side-by-side double/multiple buns

AZDesertRose
November 16th, 2016, 08:48 AM
I have fairly but not ridiculously thick hair, and one of my go-to buns is the disc bun. Most of the instructional material you will find shows you how to orient that bun horizontally, with the hair stick/fork sideways, but I find that my thick hair spits out my hair toy that way; orienting the bun vertically, in my experience, keeps the hair toy in place better for me.

maborosi
November 16th, 2016, 06:08 PM
What's your circumference of your pony? Some people that are iii just cannot do buns this early on (Your hair's at almost 28", right?)
I tried to braid my mum's super thick hair and even approaching BSL, I just couldn't get it to work. Super thick hair sometimes takes a while to do a bun!

Ligeia Noire
November 16th, 2016, 08:37 PM
I bought gigantic u pins from crafts utopia *that gossamer recommended* and long rosewood sticks and yeah I wore ones or the others every day, they saved my life. It is easier and it holds.