PDA

View Full Version : How can I make my hair more shiny?

Pink_Tea
November 15th, 2016, 04:38 PM
How can I make my hair more shiny? I have fine hair that gets weighed down/greasy easily so I believe shine serums would cause issues. Any tips?

Thanks. :)

Yarrow
November 16th, 2016, 12:54 AM
Molasses,honey or pancake syrup.
Beyond the point but I for one really don't understand what the fuss about shiny hair is all about but that's just me...

Rhoward
November 16th, 2016, 01:02 AM
You could try WCC (thank you Lapushka)! I have fine straight hair and have recently started conditioning twice and my hair is a lot more manageable and certainly shines a lot more too. I don't use handfuls of conditioner, just a normal amount, I use two different conditioners which vary, but I always finish with a moisturising one.

Its worth a try :)

Miss P
November 16th, 2016, 01:04 AM
I use a boar bristle brush to give my hair some shine, it distributes your natural oils and makes your hair sleek and shiny :)

Borgessa
November 16th, 2016, 02:35 AM
I have recently discovered conditioners with cones ( silicone ) I dunno if that's a bad word or not, but it's added a lot of shine to my hair!

Pacific
November 16th, 2016, 02:42 AM
You could try a vinegar rinse after washing.

Suze
November 16th, 2016, 06:08 AM
Hibiscus tea rinse, Amla hairmask, Hennagloss, brushing with a BBB

lapushka
November 16th, 2016, 06:51 AM
How can I make my hair more shiny? I have fine hair that gets weighed down/greasy easily so I believe shine serums would cause issues. Any tips?

Thanks. :)

1/ Do you have straight (1), wavy (2), or curly (3 or 4) hair. Because that matters.
2/ What is your ponytail circumference, because density can make a difference in how hair lays and reflects light. Just make a ponytail and measure around the ponytail (don't include the elastic band in your measurement).

Have you tried citric acid / lemon rinses or rinses with ACV (apple cider vinegar) or regular vinegar.
If it is really F, and i then that might be your best bet.

lapushka
November 16th, 2016, 06:52 AM
You could try WCC (thank you Lapushka)! I have fine straight hair and have recently started conditioning twice and my hair is a lot more manageable and certainly shines a lot more too. I don't use handfuls of conditioner, just a normal amount, I use two different conditioners which vary, but I always finish with a moisturising one.

Its worth a try :)

You're welcome. The link to that method is in my signature, BTW!

Annalouise
November 16th, 2016, 08:31 AM
I use a boar bristle brush to give my hair some shine, it distributes your natural oils and makes your hair sleek and shiny :)

:thumbsup: This. I never had shiny hair until I started using a bbb to bring the oils off the scalp down to the ends.:toast: Nothing is better for your hairs then your own scalp oil.

vampyyri
November 16th, 2016, 09:09 AM
The WCC and LOC methods have made my hair really shiny. You can also "cheat" with a shine spray (I have one from garnier that does the trick if I want to have ridiculously shiny hair :lol:).

adrenaline
November 16th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Nothing is better for your hairs then your own scalp oil.
Totally agree! I'd consider the following things:

1) Using a boar brush (mentioned already)
2) Using a rinse after washing (e.g. citric acid, apple cider vinegar, ...) (also mentioned)
3) Using an appropriate oil in your products. In my case, cocoa butter gives me extreme shiny hair, so i add it into my shampoo :o
4) Using products with cones (silicone oils).
(I wouldn't recommend this, since it's harmful to the environment and it damages my hair badly. On the other hand, there are people who get along with it very well, so you need to try if it works in your case :o.)

lapushka
November 16th, 2016, 09:39 AM
A BBB won't work for everyone. I am a wavy, have F hair, and a BBB just wrecks my hair, not to mention my wave pattern.

samanthaa
November 16th, 2016, 12:15 PM
What color is your hair? It's easier to get darker hair super shiny because it reflects light better than lighter colored hair does.

I have shiny hair. I don't use silicones, partially for the reasons adrenaline mentioned (environmental concerns, as well as health concerns). I don't use a BBB, for the reason lapushka mentioned (it kills my F hair). I don't use serums or leave-ins, and if I'm planning to wear my hair down, I also don't add any oils. My fine, thin hair doesn't tolerate it well without going stringy.

I love acidic rinses (ACV or citric acid), and I've also found that my hair gets super soft and shiny with an SMT+. By "+," I mean with the addition of cassia or coconut oil. A cassia treatment by itself also does wonders to increase my shine.

I think the best way to achieve shiny hair is simply to have healthy hair, as a healthy cuticle lies flat and reflects light unlike a broken or raised cuticle (acidic rinses help smooth down the cuticle--I'm not sure if that's been mentioned previously as I haven't read through each response). My hair is always the shiniest after it's fully dried, with nothing in it, on wash day or DT day.

LadyCelestina
November 16th, 2016, 12:24 PM
*inser unpopular opinion penguin*
I use conditioners with glitter... it's easy, effective since it actually reflects light and works for most people since it's just conditioner and you can water it down or use it however your hair likes..you don't really need change your routine to get the shiny hair effect. There are several commercial conditioners with fine glitter, or you can DYI your own with eyeshadow or pigment (the particles should be as fine as possible).

You can even just rub some into your hair, but I find that it sticks better when it has a base, such as conditioner, oil etc. eta: this is my hair with L'oreal extraordinary oil conditioner which contains quite a lot of golden mica powder. You can see that my hair is quite shiny despite being frizzy. This was taken a couple days after wash. I like the slight golden boost it gives my hair. http://imgur.com/a/6xHq3

Nightshade
November 16th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Hair, generally, shines because the cuticle of the hair is tight and smooth and therefore is a more mirror-like surface for light to reflect off of.

So getting more shine means:
- mitigating damage: chipped or missing cuticle scales make for a more rough surface that reflects light poorly
- using something that closes the cuticle, like a citric acid or ACV rinse
- adding something that smooths over the hair, like silicone or oil
- enhancing it with an herbal color (like henna or senna) which brightens the hair and gives the impression of shinier hair

vampyyri
November 16th, 2016, 12:50 PM
I use conditioners with glitter... it's easy, effective since it actually reflects light and works for most people since it's just conditioner and you can water it down or use it however your hair likes..you don't really need change your routine to get the shiny hair effect. There are several commercial conditioners with fine glitter, or you can DYI your own with eyeshadow or pigment (the particles should be as fine as possible).

You can even just rub some into your hair, but I find that it sticks better when it has a base, such as conditioner, oil etc. eta: this is my hair with L'oreal extraordinary oil conditioner which contains quite a lot of golden mica powder. You can see that my hair is quite shiny despite being frizzy. This was taken a couple days after wash. I like the slight golden boost it gives my hair. http://imgur.com/a/6xHq3

Oh wow!! This makes me want to grab some super finely milled golden pigment to up the ridiculousness factor of my hair :lol:
Never would have thought to do this on my own :laugh:

LadyCelestina
November 16th, 2016, 01:00 PM
glittering your hair ups your *fabulousness* factor :D besides vampires used to sparkle a couple years ago when a certain teen novel was at the height of popularity :D

stefferweffir
November 16th, 2016, 01:49 PM
I was going to say shine spray! The most complements I ever had was from using Bed Head Headrush. Having darker hair for sure helps too. When my hair was lighter I alwasy felt it looked more damaged than it was. Another thing that I just tried a few days ago was a Keratin treatment pack from Hask at Target for like $2 and my hair was felt pretty dang good and super shiny. It's a protein treatment so I guess that depends on how your hair is with protein.

Kelda
November 16th, 2016, 02:09 PM
White vinegar mixed with chamomile tea used as a rinse before conditioner is applied or use alone as a conditioner. Rinse after S/C with cold water. Before shampoo use cold pressed coconut oil on your length. I leave mine on over night and wash the next day. I do this every other wash.

vampyyri
November 16th, 2016, 02:14 PM
glittering your hair ups your *fabulousness* factor :D besides vampires used to sparkle a couple years ago when a certain teen novel was at the height of popularity :D

This is true... though I don't think vampires should sparkle :lol:
If I were to look into a pigment, would something that's meant for soaps/nail art and such work? I'm looking at this guy: SHINY!!! (https://www.etsy.com/listing/486985031/shimmer-gold-mica-powder-soap-making)

ETA: Sorry if I'm derailing the OP, I just want shimmery hair :lol:

Pamberpestana
November 16th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Cassia!!! Moisture!! Cones!!

Annalouise
November 16th, 2016, 03:24 PM

Very pretty hair :). I never heard of conditioner with glitter in it. One could buy gold mica powder on amazon and add it to their conditioner as well.

Dark40
November 16th, 2016, 03:50 PM
You can try your last rinse during your washing with the coolest water that you can stand. Or, you can try this wonderful product called, "Silicone Mix." It has silicones in it. I use it once or twice a week, and it gives my hair a beautiful shine!!!!

Arete
November 16th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Firstly, clarify. Build up will cause even healthy hair to dull. Use a chelating shampoo if you have hard water. Next, what is your routine? Do you use a lot of heat? That will cause mechanical damage leading to rough, dry, dull, hair. What kind of conditioner do you use? Do you condition once? Maybe consider CWC or CCC with a lighter cone free condition. Also maybe try using a cone free condition as a leave in: Rub a smidgen (I use nickel sized drop for my classic length hair) of the conditoner on your hands, then distribute through your hair after you've rinsed out your full condition. This increases the shine in my hair, plus makes it softer/easier to deal with.

I have thick coarser hair and cones weigh my hair down, so probably cones wouldn't be a good idea for you.

What no one else has mentioned is aside from damage reduction, the one long term way to up the shine is by eating healthy and taking care of yourself healthwise (staying on top of any preexisting conditions you may have). Your hair reflects your health, and if your diet is poor, your hair won't be as healthy and shiny as it would be if you are eating well balanced and are healthy. Obviously you will not see changes over night, but something to think about.

To increase shine and tame frizz, I run a fine BBB lightly over my canopy in the morning. It help corral my renengade newer growth that loves to pop out as little curls xD. I'm not actually pushing the brush into hair, just skimming if that makes sense.
As lapushka said, a lot depends on your wave pattern. Like her, actually using a BBB just makes my hair go nuts, but straighter hair can sometimes benfit from it.
My hair also is extremely picky about oils. Coconut oil will make my hair dull and tangly. So if yu find one type of oil doesn't work, you may want to experiment a bit.

OhSuzi
November 16th, 2016, 05:47 PM
There is another couple of threads about here that mention hair glossing.
Sort of a cheating way to add brightness and shine and we determined there was glossing that was just using like a shiny serum, or a sparkly type shampoo conditioner or
A more perenant glossing chemical process uses like a permenant but clear (no pigment) dye, so it will damage your hair in the same way that dying it does.
It depends on whether you want your hair to remain totally healthy and natural ( which in it's self should help it to be shiny) or if you're pretty relaxed about doing stuff to your hair.
The same thread also mentions a way to make your own shiny sparkly shampoo / conditioner by mixing eyeshadow with it.

Also whilst air drying is probably the gentlest way to dry your hair, if you use a hair dryer on cold and move both the hairdryer and the brush / comb / fingers in the direction of your hair i.e. Down the hair shaft, you'll close the hair cuticles and have them all going in the same direction so they are more likely to shine.

Lady Celestina your hair is gorgeous !

LadyCelestina
November 17th, 2016, 03:28 AM
This is true... though I don't think vampires should sparkle :lol:
If I were to look into a pigment, would something that's meant for soaps/nail art and such work? I'm looking at this guy: SHINY!!! (https://www.etsy.com/listing/486985031/shimmer-gold-mica-powder-soap-making)

ETA: Sorry if I'm derailing the OP, I just want shimmery hair :lol:
I guess it's ok! Bigger glitter particles just kind of make the glitter more visible, but I've never had anyone notice it, not even people who get close to my hair. If you'd use it on your face then it's fine for hair. Unless you want the glitter in hair to be noticeable of course :lol: but I don't most of the time.

Very pretty hair :). I never heard of conditioner with glitter in it. One could buy gold mica powder on amazon and add it to their conditioner as well.
Thanks :flower: That's funny since here it's really very common. It's not noticeable in some! For example Garnier is in the US right? The orange damage control or something line has very fine glitter.

There is another couple of threads about here that mention hair glossing.
Sort of a cheating way to add brightness and shine and we determined there was glossing that was just using like a shiny serum, or a sparkly type shampoo conditioner or
A more perenant glossing chemical process uses like a permenant but clear (no pigment) dye, so it will damage your hair in the same way that dying it does.
It depends on whether you want your hair to remain totally healthy and natural ( which in it's self should help it to be shiny) or if you're pretty relaxed about doing stuff to your hair.
The same thread also mentions a way to make your own shiny sparkly shampoo / conditioner by mixing eyeshadow with it.

Also whilst air drying is probably the gentlest way to dry your hair, if you use a hair dryer on cold and move both the hairdryer and the brush / comb / fingers in the direction of your hair i.e. Down the hair shaft, you'll close the hair cuticles and have them all going in the same direction so they are more likely to shine.

Lady Celestina your hair is gorgeous !
Thank you <3
Yes I wonder what's up with so many shine threads popping up lately. Maybe it's time to make an article with all these tips. :eyebrows:

Stub
November 19th, 2016, 06:32 PM
oooh....I have tons of colored micas for coloring soap. I might try this with some of them!

Larki
November 19th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Shine is the bane of my existence.

Larki
November 20th, 2016, 01:45 PM

Does it stay even when you rinse it out? I have a leave-in product with gold shimmer, John Frieda Gold Rush, that I love and it's really subtle (unless I don't want it to be ;) but I would think putting it in shampoo or conditioner would be a waste because it would just be rinsed right out.