PDA

View Full Version : How can I reduce hair static?

Pink_Tea
November 15th, 2016, 04:35 PM
As the title says, any tips?

I brought a wooden comb and I believe that has lessened the static.

Thanks!

Entangled
November 15th, 2016, 04:48 PM
From what I know, moisturizing helps.

meteor
November 15th, 2016, 04:56 PM
^ :agree: Yes, moisturizing *definitely* helps.
(That's also why wet/damp wet hair and really oily hair doesn't really get static problems.)
I think heavy conditioning and LOC routines should help quite a bit.

Alternatively, just running a few drops of oil or silicone serum and/or leave-in conditioner can help.

Sleeping on silky smooth materials should reduce static a bit, too, especially if it's based on natural silk. Also, if I need to wear a wool-based turtleneck sweater, I just keep my hair covered in a silky scarf/bonnet as I am putting it on and then I take the silk off. It really prevents static for me.

Humidifiers are also something to look into, especially if it's dry and if heaters are on where you live.

Running dryer sheets on canopy hair reduces static right away, as well.

And yes, a wide-tooth wooden comb completely eliminated all static issues for me, compared to what it was like back when I used brushes.

Hay_jules
November 15th, 2016, 05:09 PM
Great tips Meteor. Apparently I need to invest in a silk scarf or two. I have a few sweaters I avoid wearing because they make my hair so staticky. Looks like a wooden comb is in my future too. :D

Cg
November 15th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Wool seems to be the worst culprit. Switch to alpaca, much less static.

Saldana
November 15th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Also, do you keep a spritz bottle? I keep one at my desk - it has water, a bit of jojoba oil, and a bit of lavender essential oil. I spritz my hair with it whenever I need to de-static my hair, or smooth down fuzzies/frizzies. Heck, I've even sprayed my clothes with it when they get static-y. :)