PDA

View Full Version : Unavoidable damage

JennyP
November 15th, 2016, 11:54 AM
*sigh* I don't post much, but I've lurked and grown for years. I have come to the conclusion that I will never reach the MBL goal I would like. I have to wear a CPAP for sleep apnea, and despite everything I've tried to protect my hair, the head gear causes damage. I get white dots, bends, splits, and just general roughness from wear and tear, which causes massive frizz that I can't control. I've tried satin pillowcases, satin cap (which I can't stand--it's bad enough I have to wear the mask let alone suffocating myself with a cap, too), braiding, etc. I keep having to layer my hair to cut off damage and I just don't like it any more.

Not really just looking for advice, just a little commiseration. I'm going to cut back enough so that I can still put it in a pony for work, but I think I'm going to give up my dreams of length. To the "old-timers," thanks for all the knowledge imparted. I've learned a ton about alternative haircare here over the years.

pailin
November 15th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Oh JennyP, I'm sorry to hear that it's been so difficult. I remember the headgear- I used to use CPAP myself, although I don't need it any longer- I was never trying to grow my hair out seriously when I was on CPAP.
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Eastbound&Down
November 15th, 2016, 02:55 PM
OP- wearing a cap over your hair between the mask straps won't work? My dad used a CPAP for years and hated it, but he also has short hair so that was never the issue. I would think a silk cap or a beanie over a braid or bun might provide a little protection? I could be totally wrong.

Strands
November 15th, 2016, 04:34 PM
I am really sorry to hear about this. If nothing else, it might be the beginning of excuses to try really fun hats and shorter styles? I hope you can get off the CPAP and be able to work for your goals though. :love:

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 15th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Sending lots of hugs.
Good luck.

Borgessa
November 16th, 2016, 02:45 AM
I sleep with a bipap, and do not experience this problem, I do braid my hair everynight befor donning my head gear, whih I wear quite tight.

Lavendersugar
November 16th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Aww sorry :(
Have you tried a high ponytail using a soft holder?

spidermom
November 16th, 2016, 02:48 PM
I understand. I don't have a condition like you do, but in spite of my dreams of classic length hair, I've discovered that I can't have hair much beyond hip length without fighting with thousands of split ends, not only split, but often the split ends on the ends of my split ends are split. My hair looked beautiful in pictures at that length, but I knew the truth.

These days my hair is between BSL and waist, and I still find splits. I don't know what else I can do. I take as good of care of my hair as I am able and willing. I'm not willing to do water only or sebum only, so please don't suggest that.