PDA

View Full Version : Missing My Long Locks, Help me grow them out again!

rainbowbowz
November 15th, 2016, 06:11 AM
This summer I noticed that the bottom 4-ish inches of my hair were very dry and weren't responding well to deep conditioning. They were also lighter in color (likely due to sun bleaching).

In any case, i went to get my hair trimmed... and THEY CUT OFF 9 INCHES OF MY HAIR! YES, without me asking.

My hair feels incredibly short now at 27 inches and I'd like to grow it back out as soon as possible. I imagine, however, that this will take roughly a year. During this time i'd like to do everything I possibly can to take care of my hair and avoid the same dryness and damage to the bottom of my hair.

What i've just recently done:
Had an olaplex treatment standalone and my hair is feeling SIGNIFICANTLY healthier. I will continue to use olaplex.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or advice for me? My hair is naturally a 1c or a 2a. I have very fine hair that doesn't respond well to most moisturizers which weigh it down and never fully absorb. I do NOT respond well to coconut oil or most "keratin" products as they leave my hair feeling fried and frizzy. My hair responds best to Pureology Sulfate Free Shampoo and "Hydrate light" conditioner, however, i haven't been able to purchase it after moving overseas. I have also had good results with redken's blue range and sebastian drench.

If anyone has any recommendations that are available in europe that DON'T break the bank or any recommendations on changes i can make to my lifestyle i would really appreciate it! I live an incredibly healthy lifestyle (i'm a fitness professional), I drink plenty of water, and I take vitamin B supplements because i'm a vegetarian. I do have a history of low thyroid and it's been suggested that i might have an autoimmune disease called sjogren's syndrome which affects the bodies ability to produce moisture (dry eyes, dry mouth, dry skin, etc.).

Anyways, here was my before, not certain about exact length from august:
http://imgur.com/KNd8jpY

Here is my hair now:

http://imgur.com/dVNhaoi

spidermom
November 15th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Wow - you and your hair look really beautiful before and after. I recently had 10 inches cut off but by choice. I just couldn't take the splitting and breaking off anymore. I don't have any suggestions other than regular moisture treatments.

rainbowbowz
November 15th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Thanks so much! That's very kind of you to say. It feels so short to me now... =/ Even though i know logically it isn't THAT short

I have pretty fine hair so it's hard to find one that doesn't make it weighed down. :(

Any recommendations from those who also have fine hair?

P.S. I don't think it looks as stringy on the bottom in real life, i think i just didn't comb the ends during that photo session.

missmelaniem
November 15th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Ugh I hate it when hairdressers do that. Ive seen it far too often.

Not familiar with whats available in Europe, so I'll leave that to our Euro friends, just wanted to wish you well. :)

lapushka
November 15th, 2016, 07:37 AM
It's still pretty, though admitted, they did take quite a bit of length off. If you tell a hairdresser to cut the dead ends off... it's basically carte blanche to take as much length off as possible. Next time self-trim or tell them exactly how much to take off (show with hand or fingers).

It takes patience, not gonna lie.

My HG conditioner is a silicone conditioner (for dry, damaged hair) and it is called Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. I'm not sure where in the EU you are, but if you can get the Franck Provost conditioner for dry damaged hair, that is equally as nice and doesn't have the silicones.

Annalouise
November 15th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Ugh, I feel bad for you, I'm sorry they cut so much hair off. Pity. I can't advise you because I have not personally reached the hair length you have. I just wanted to say sorry about the cut and don't worry it will grow back. You have pretty hair.:flower:

Martician
November 15th, 2016, 07:54 AM
I'm so sorry this happened to you! I would fell the same if someone chopped so much without asking! :( I'm in Europe but I usually use coconut oil and regular moisturising so I guess I'm not of much help... Maybe (as your hair doesn't do well with moisture) try to prevent the breakage, like being extra careful on how you comb your hair, use protective hairstyles and even S&D... Just a thought! But beautiful hair anyway :D

rainbowbowz
November 15th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the replies! They do have the Franck Provost conditioner in my area, so i'm going to pick that up!

I do braid my hair in two before sleeping and I do some S&D on my hair as well (really helps because i have a ton of baby hairs growing out that get split ends). Are there other "protective" hair styles you guys can recommend? Since i'm a fitness professional my hair is constantly getting sweaty and then drying over and over again and i've just been setting it in a low pony which i think could be improved.

Anyways, thanks so much everyone for your replies! I will definitely be trimming my hair by myself in the future, never ever again will i trust someone to just "clean it up" for me. :'(

rainbowbowz
November 15th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Oh, and i saw that some people are using a buff for working out? How does that work? :)

I did try and read through the wealth of information on the boards before posting, but i figure i might as well ask!

lapushka
November 15th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Anyways, thanks so much everyone for your replies! I will definitely be trimming my hair by myself in the future, never ever again will i trust someone to just "clean it up" for me. :'(

Here's some great instructions to self-trimming!
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

missmelaniem
November 15th, 2016, 08:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vRgZuXse5o

I love CinnamonHairs (LHCer) video on a hairstyle for sports... at the very end she puts a buff over it. There are lots of ways to use buffs, so this is just one example.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 15th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Hi and hugs
Never let a hair dresser with scissors near your hair.
Also try not to use a lot of heat on your hair. If you need to dry it with a blow dryer use the lowest settings.
The good news is hair grows and regular deep treatment helps a lot.
Good luck.

hanne jensen
November 17th, 2016, 04:43 AM
Wear your hair up in protective updos. Prevents damage. An affordable product line that works for my very fine fragile hair is Mane n Tail shampoo and conditioner. Diluted about 30%. We finies can get away with diluting our products. Also, remember to clarify your hair about every 10 hairwashes. We finies also get buildup very quickly.

Put your hair up, don't handle it more than neccessary and enjoy life. Before you know it , you'll have a Holy Moly, where did that come from moment. If you keep staring at your hair it will seem like forever before it grows out.

Never go to a salon again. You pay good money (that can be used for hair products or toys) to come home and cry. I'm so, so, sorry for your experience. This is what nightmares are made of. Do you have someone you trust and who loves your long hair? A good investment is a CreaClip. They're not that expensive and there's a sight in Germany that sells them online. My Hubby swears by it. They make home trimming so much easier and it is possible to microtrim using one of these gizmos.

Adelain
November 18th, 2016, 02:25 AM
When I do sports I usually put up my hair in two dutch braids (now they are called "boxer braids"). If you can do dutch or french braids it could be a solution because it's a very stable and confortable updo.