PDA

View Full Version : Hi in need of advice, some photos.

Borgessa
November 15th, 2016, 02:41 AM
Hi, new to the forum and I would like some advice on trying to grow my hair, which I have been doing for years with very little success.
I believe after a quick study that I have type 1b hair, it has a slight wave in it, but not after sleeping on it. It grows to about BSL but, is very thin and wispy and not at all attractive at the ends. I rarely had trims, and when I do i get my husband to trim the ends rather lightly, I don't trust the hairdressers to do it, from experience they always took way more off than I wanted. I have recently discovered that I was causing some sever breakage by wearing the same ponytail, in the same spot for years, so as you can imagine, i have lots of wispy broken hairs around my parameter. I've always had a lot of baby hairs, for many many years. As a teenager I had seriously thick hair but now, its pretty thin, the aging process I guess but this seems extreme.

I have been reading up on damaged hair (dry frizzy )and it tells me all the things not to do, but i've never used heat on my hair, in the form of curling irons, or straightening. I hardly blowdry it, and when I do its in winter when its too cold to have wet hair. I only wash it once a week, i use a conditioner when i do. Prob not the correct shampoos and conditioners. I never wear it loose, always braided, (since my discovery) i'm too scared to even put a ponytail in my hair whilst i have it in "recovery"

I have chopped at fair bit off, trying to do damage control I have some pics.

http://i65.tinypic.com/25yup3l.jpg
This is after my first trim, believe it or not this is better than it had been. I had combed the hair closer together so it didn't look so bad. I don't have photo's of it before.

http://i65.tinypic.com/f2ld8o.jpg
This is after the second trim, this one hurt a lot, i'd already lost a fair bit, this felt like a step too far, considering how slowly it feels like my hair grows.

http://i66.tinypic.com/35izwnm.jpg
This is the last photo I promise. In this photo you can see how many broken hairs there are, particularly around the parameter. You can also kinda see how thin it is especially towards the ends.

So please if you can give me any advice to getting some condition and length in my hair, with out the ugly wispy ends! I've started to use some oils, a coconut oil has gone in tonight, I was unsure what type of coconut oil to use, cooking grade (i'm a newbie) I used a extra virgin coconut oil.. Hope thats the right one.

Thanks for any help!

OhSuzi
November 15th, 2016, 04:27 AM
Your hair seems shiny and healthy and pretty full up until the very last few inches.

Unless it's just changed colour because of the sun? It looks like you maybe used to dye it? That can do damage to your hair. I found that my undyed / unbleached hair has grown through much thicker & stronger.

I can’t see any split ends from those pics – but I am looking on a small screen. Some of the whispy hairs in the plaits might just be new hair growth rather than broken hairs? When my hair was longer & plaited I had lots of escaping fluffy hairs sticking out everywhere.

If you do have any really badly damaged dyed hair / split ends left I’d definitely get that part chopped off before they affect the healthier hair. Even if it meant a chunky chop, I’d rather have it a bit shorter & healthier & know it was gonna have a good starting point to grow from.

Age and Diet might have an effect on hair? You can’t stop time, but you can make sure you’re eating a healthy balanced diet.

I’m sure some others with a bit more experience might suggest washing methods to help nourish your hair & tame frizz – I just do basic shampoo & condition.

Borgessa
November 15th, 2016, 04:46 AM
I forgot to mention, I did dye it once a while back, I actually thought it was a rinse, oops not so, but my hair was in bad condition before that. It did dry it out more, but I did find a L'Oreal elvive smooth intense serum that helped quiet a lot with the tangles. I have no idea if that is nourishing my hair or not. I hope so, makes brushing a bit easier. I don't think there is any split ends, I've tried to find some, but my eyesight is quite poor and dang it, I just can't see or focus on the ends of my hair.

lapushka
November 15th, 2016, 05:28 AM
That looks to me more 2a/b hair. There's almost "crimps" in the hair reminding me of braid waves.

Try conditioners for dry damaged hair, as they are the most moisturizing on the hair. I use them because my lengths can be dry, not at all because my hair is damaged or so, and it works! One conditioner that is my HG is the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. It is a great detangler on top of that.

Borgessa
November 15th, 2016, 05:44 AM
I think you are right about my hair type, there is a slight braid wave too it, but only when freshly washed, so just on hair that hasn't been slept on. I will look for that conditioner, I have seen that Brand here.
Thank you.

Borgessa
November 15th, 2016, 06:04 AM
I can't see where to edit the post, but, I think the first pic might have had a braid in it, which would make it look more like a braid wave curl in it.. not the after trim pic thou. I sleep with a braid in every night, i hate my hair anywhere near my face.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
November 15th, 2016, 08:43 PM
Hi, you can also do a regular deep conditioning.
I shall attach the deep conditioning check in link below.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=127171

Borgessa
November 16th, 2016, 12:12 AM
Thank you, I have been wanting to get a protein mask, but so many masks out there, and none seem to say protein, i get confuzzled and give up.

Arctic
November 16th, 2016, 12:26 AM
Can you take a hair typing photo and do the hair typing? It would help us to understand your hair better! Advice how to do those are, I think, stickied on the top of the Newbie sub-forum.

Borgessa
November 16th, 2016, 01:15 AM
Air dried and uncombed? I always comb when wet to detangle. Is that ok?

Arctic
November 16th, 2016, 01:25 AM
Air dried, but not combed or touched while it dries. Otherwise you can alter the natural texture.
(It's ok to comb in the shower with conditoner, but not after you step out.)

Borgessa
November 16th, 2016, 01:34 AM

Borgessa
November 16th, 2016, 01:36 AM
Didn't mean to say that twice, Ty!, Can we edit our posts??

Arctic
November 16th, 2016, 01:38 AM

No, for hair typing photo it is not. Hair should be left to air dry without any kind of manipulation, to allow the natural wave pattern (or lack there of) to be visible. Read the instructions, they are linked to at the top posts of newbie forum.

For every other time feel free to detangle when wet but hair typing photos are a different beast.

ETA: You can edit after 25+ posts, you can also read about the privilege levels more on those posts on top of newbie forum. There is lot of useful information there and defintely worth to read through.

Borgessa
November 16th, 2016, 02:01 AM
Thankyou for the info, and I will take a hair type photo, I now think I'm a 2a/f/ii. I measured the circumference of my hair today and was surprised to find i was in the normal range. 2 1/2 inches. So maybe there is hope after all. It's not huge, but it is in the normal range, yay!

Wosie
November 16th, 2016, 05:00 AM
This looks like a classic case of overbrushed wavy/curly hair! I would also love to see a hair typing picture, I think you're much wavier than you think you are... :D I'm guessing 2b/2c, with some care and non-brushing. It very much disrupts your natural texture.

kattmara
November 16th, 2016, 03:09 PM
This looks like a classic case of overbrushed wavy/curly hair! I would also love to see a hair typing picture, I think you're much wavier than you think you are... :D I'm guessing 2b/2c, with some care and non-brushing. It very much disrupts your natural texture.

Exactly my thoughts, I had a friend when I was younger who thought she had straight but wonky hair - nope! Curls and waves!

Btw Borgessa : I think that it almost looks "longer" in the after pic since the whole hair looks thick and one length, in the before picture the thick part looks shorter so I think you where brave and made a good decision. If you embrace your waves and/or curls it will eat up a bit of length too but I promise you, it's so worth it for the overall look and feel and if the hair is healthy it will be able to grow longer as well :o

Dark40
November 16th, 2016, 03:31 PM
You can try deep conditioning your hair once or twice a week using this wonderful product called, "Cholestrol Conditioning Cream," by Queen Helene. and you can use a couple of oils on your hair three times week extra virgin cocanut oil and jojoba oil. They both make your hair shine beautifully, and it cuts down on the frizzies and split ends. But to me, your hair looks healthy until it gets to the ends. Keep trimming the split ends off as your hair grows out, and it will lengthen and thicken back up again.

Borgessa
November 16th, 2016, 04:38 PM

Over brushed! I always brush once a day, just recently bought a detangler, I would not say my hair is curly, a slight wave yes, but not curly. I will do the wash and dry no combing today (when i get home, its lunch time here), and see what you all think then. I know after sleeping any wave it had is almost gone. We shall see :0) I honestly can't imagine not BRUSHING my hair - that just seems like crazy talk lol.

Borgessa
November 16th, 2016, 08:51 PM
Okay here it is washed and air dried, no leave in conditioner and it has not been combed. I have taken 3 pics.

http://i65.tinypic.com/181wz7.jpg
As you can see pin straight!! Oops, guess not huh? I usually comb these all out before i see it. I have no idea how to look after this kinda curl/wave :( I think i need serious help.

http://i65.tinypic.com/i5ahdi.jpg
A different light, its frizzy!

http://i64.tinypic.com/xqkr5y.jpg
A side view.

What type hair do I have, its kinda frizzy, and not straight hmm.. But this curl won't be here tomorrow, btw, my hair will not hold a curl, i've had perms in my youth that fell straight out the next day, and wasn't good for my hair at all.

maborosi
November 16th, 2016, 08:57 PM
You look like you're in the 2's for sure, you've got some pretty wavies and I bet if you pamper your hair, your natural texture will really shine through!

What does your current routine look like? Do you currently use any heat tools, dyes, etc? Are you a shampoo and conditioner washer? What products have you found that you like for your hair?

Borgessa
November 16th, 2016, 09:08 PM
Up until a few months ago I just washed and dried it with loreal shampoo and conditioner, usually what ever said for damaged hair, then i started using their anti frizz, when i did some researched and realised that my hair could be dry. I started putting some Loreal elvive smooth intense anti frizz serum, that really helps with brushing and combing it, since my accidental dye job really dried it out.. I have recently used some manic panic purple rinse in it, just for some change, i refuse to bleach my hair! I never straighten it, i sometimes blowdry it in the winter, because i don't want to sit around in the cold damp house, with cold wet hair lol.

I spoke to the hairdresser and she sold me some expensive stuff for my hair. Eleven (one of the e's is backwards) Miracle hair treatment - I really like that smells like coconut, that is a leave in conditioner for flyaways and heat protectant etc... she sold me the Shampoo and conditioner to go with - cost an arm and a leg, the shampoo is a hydration one, and the conditioner is 3 min miracle. Both seem nice and I think the conditioners have cones which i believe i'm new too. I like the cones for the shine it provides. Oh yes i have been putting coconut oil in the ends trying like mad to get these ends hydrated :( I have not noticed much improvement yet. I threw out my hairbrush and am using only my detangler, and comb. I use the detangler every day.

hanne jensen
November 17th, 2016, 04:23 AM
Borgessa, treat your hair like antique lace. When you detangle start at the bottom and work your way up.

Microtrim just 1/2 cm every month. That way you'll get growth and your damage will slowly be dusted out. If you have an SO or someone who you trust, buy a pair of hair scissors and get them to do it.

Start wearing your hair up in protective updos. That way your hair won't be damaged from rubbing against your clothes and your ends won't tangle and dry out.

lapushka
November 17th, 2016, 05:48 AM
Okay here it is washed and air dried, no leave in conditioner and it has not been combed. I have taken 3 pics.

hhttp://i65.tinypic.com/181wz7.jpg
As you can see pin straight!! Oops, guess not huh? I usually comb these all out before i see it. I have no idea how to look after this kinda curl/wave :( I think i need serious help.

http://i65.tinypic.com/i5ahdi.jpg
A different light, its frizzy!

http://i64.tinypic.com/xqkr5y.jpg
A side view.

What type hair do I have, its kinda frizzy, and not straight hmm.. But this curl won't be here tomorrow, btw, my hair will not hold a curl, i've had perms in my youth that fell straight out the next day, and wasn't good for my hair at all.

That is 2b hair, for sure (looks like a tight braid wave pattern)! Can't you notice the wavy texture, especially in your first picture. I think the straight bits might be heat damage (if you've ever used heat on it).

Try looking at the curly girl method:
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

Also the website tightly curly might help you out with some ideas:
http://www.tightlycurly.com/welcome

Read through those resources carefully.

The key is NOT to brush when dry (only in the shower with conditioner on it), then leave it alone until you wash again. Then pre-wash detangle dry maybe and comb/brush again with conditioner on it in the shower. That's it.

LadyCelestina
November 17th, 2016, 05:56 AM
About hair not holding a curl - not all hair types hold the curl they have right after wash! My hair is 3a/3b for a few hours after wash. Several hours later even with gel and stuff, it relaxes into mostly 2c/3a and then as time goes, into just wavy. So it's quite possible that your hair is 2b/c but relaxes into mostly straight, but tbh your hair looks even curlier in those pics, I'd try using a leave in conditioner, maybe gel and scrunching it (look on youtube) to see what happens.

Wosie
November 17th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Wow, Borgessa! Is it just me, or does it look like you might even be a 3a with some TLC? :D There's some really distinct and short 'wavelength' going on in your pictures, and with 'wavelength' I mean how long or short every wave is, vertically.
Your hair has probably never been used to its natural state, so its texture is a little confused at the moment. No worries, you'll surely gets lots of help from the lovely LHCers.

I would definitely look into the Curly Girl Method if I were you. I'm excited for you and your hair!! Waves like yours need tons of moisture. I think you'll be able to lock the waves/curls in a nice springy state with some care and moisture, for sure. :)

MidnightMoon
November 17th, 2016, 07:05 AM
yeah, I'd agree on 3a. Those are quite tight waves, and if between 1a and 1c there is not that much difference, it would be strange that the 2's range would suddenly include very loose waves up to these tiny numerous waves. I define myself as 2b, used to be 2b/2c, and mine are definitely looser, almost down to my neck I barely have any visible wave.

Annalouise
November 17th, 2016, 11:59 AM
I'm confused about her hairtype too. Why are the curls the tightest near the scalp, and then the hairs completely relax when they reach her back to almost straight? Is it because she is brushing out the bottom length?
:confused:That's a bit of a confusing hairtype I'd say.:D

littlestarface
November 17th, 2016, 12:08 PM
I'm confused about her hairtype too. Why are the curls the tightest near the scalp, and then the hairs completely relax when they reach her back to almost straight? Is it because she is brushing out the bottom length?

Probably due to damage and not enough moisture, once she has more moisture her pattern will be more defined. I say she could be a curly even, for sure a wavy for now.

Annalouise
November 17th, 2016, 12:41 PM
:thumbsup: Ok, that makes sense. :)

Borgessa
November 17th, 2016, 12:54 PM
I am so glad I am not the only one confused!! Its a bit straighter at the front, I'm not use to seeing the back of my hair, in the pics taken no comb had been near it, since its wash condition. Only fingered it as i dried it. Actually i still haven't brushed combed it, I am lucky i guess in that my hair doesn't knot or tangle. I thought maybe with out brushing or combing, in 24 hrs it would be a mess but there isn't even a tangle yet.. I did braid for bed thou. That brought the curls back which i haven't combed out...

Not sure what kinda product to buy to put moisture into my hair, maybe some shea butter or something. I've been doing the coconut oil.. There is NOOOO heat damage to my hair as i DON'T use heat on my hair, just a blow in winter, and then just to take the wet out of it.

I feel like an idiot not knowing these curls where there, or so many but as i said, i don't really see the back of my head and they are closer to my scalp. Thats my excuse.

My hair is soooooooo fine silky and smooth to touch, I wish it looked as great as it feels.

To be honest, i don't want curly hair, i want straight silky hair, i guess that is a wish many want.. Oh and shiney too i want shiney!!

Borgessa
November 17th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Btw, thank you all for your help!! Its nice to finally figure something out.

LadyCelestina
November 17th, 2016, 01:04 PM
You can always try a keratin treatment or however it's called, basically permanent straightening/relaxing if you want straight hair :)

Annalouise
November 17th, 2016, 04:20 PM
I am so glad I am not the only one confused!! Its a bit straighter at the front, I'm not use to seeing the back of my hair, in the pics taken no comb had been near it, since its wash condition. Only fingered it as i dried it. Actually i still haven't brushed combed it, I am lucky i guess in that my hair doesn't knot or tangle. I thought maybe with out brushing or combing, in 24 hrs it would be a mess but there isn't even a tangle yet.. I did braid for bed thou. That brought the curls back which i haven't combed out...

Not sure what kinda product to buy to put moisture into my hair, maybe some shea butter or something. I've been doing the coconut oil.. There is NOOOO heat damage to my hair as i DON'T use heat on my hair, just a blow in winter, and then just to take the wet out of it.

I feel like an idiot not knowing these curls where there, or so many but as i said, i don't really see the back of my head and they are closer to my scalp. Thats my excuse.

My hair is soooooooo fine silky and smooth to touch, I wish it looked as great as it feels.

To be honest, i don't want curly hair, i want straight silky hair, i guess that is a wish many want.. Oh and shiney too i want shiney!!

I'm not sure either what product will put moisture in your hair as I'm not very knowledgeable in that department.:D Hopefully someone else will chime in here with advice for you. Your hair will get more shiney as it gets more conditioned. It will be interesting to see how it grows out. You might be a curly head or you might brush it and have soft waves. If you brush it with a natural boars bristle brush that will make it more shiney too.:)

Hay_jules
November 18th, 2016, 09:59 AM

I have similar hair (when natural for me). The sides are wavy and lose curl but the back is quite wavy/curly. I notice it even more now that I'm not blow drying.
I also (prior to bleaching) had always marveled at how my hair felt so soft and silky but looked dry and frizzy. I've tried a ton of moisturizing treatments. The only one so far that really helps is joico kpak intense hydrator. Beware of protein treatments, there is usually a fair bit of hidden protein in any deep treatment or basix conditioner for that matter. Yesterday I was at sallys looking at the little packets and then at winners (our high end discount store) and checking the ingredients I found ONE tub of protein free deep conditioner. Because of all the proteins in most products a lot of people don't need a specific protein treatment, and some people (myself included) are protein sensitive. Using a specific protein treatment gives me very crispy hair. If your hair is lacking moisture you don't necessarily need to add protein...it can make the dryness worse.

littlestarface
November 18th, 2016, 10:18 AM
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/no-poo/the-curly-girl-method-for-coily-hair/ < This site will help alot at first for you, alot of us here follow it and various methods with tweaks n such but to be safe follow this at first then after tweak it to be your own. It's good to go into threads that are about products which will always tell you what's the ingredients and how well they work.

Hay_jules
November 18th, 2016, 10:46 AM
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/no-poo/the-curly-girl-method-for-coily-hair/ < This site will help alot at first for you, alot of us here follow it and various methods with tweaks n such but to be safe follow this at first then after tweak it to be your own. It's good to go into threads that are about products which will always tell you what's the ingredients and how well they work.

Thanks so much for this link. I've been reading and learning about the curly girl method but I hadn't been able to find a beginners guide like that.

Moonfall
November 20th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Your pictures kind of remind me of my hair when it's brushed (I hope this doesn't offend you or anything :oops:)! I saw someone said your hair could be 2b/2c, which is exactly my hair type. I don't have any pictures from my hair when it's brushed, and I can't take any now either since I've just washed it. But I do have some photos where I let it dry naturally and put in some leave-in conditioner and coconut oil. You can see them in my photo album :)

Borgessa
November 20th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Your pictures kind of remind me of my hair when it's brushed (I hope this doesn't offend you or anything :oops:)! I saw someone said your hair could be 2b/2c, which is exactly my hair type. I don't have any pictures from my hair when it's brushed, and I can't take any now either since I've just washed it. But I do have some photos where I let it dry naturally and put in some leave-in conditioner and coconut oil. You can see them in my photo album :)

Why would I be offended your hair is beautiful. I have tried straightening it... with a flat iron.. first time in 20 years and I liked/loved how it looked, but I am not prepared to do that to my hair again. I could feel or hear the ends kinda catching rather than gliding smoothly. Yes I was bad, but experimenting, one in 20 years can't be that bad! I have done the no comb, and really as folks have said, it seems like thats what i'm doing wrong, it makes it poofy and frizzy on the ends if i brush it, if i let it be, its okay.. I have tried the Co washing.

I visited a local hair shop, and the woman was horrified to hear i only washed once a week, said no wonder its dry not getting enough moisture. She kinda made me feel bad, like i was some dirty unkept person. I've tried just conditioning, every few days, and i bought a hydration mist that i think i like. But if i just co wash and crimp with no brushing it looks like this.
http://i68.tinypic.com/2ah7fb9.jpg

I can't view albums i'm sorry.

These curls stayed in till I slept in it, I still can't believe all these curls were there, some of them are even spirals. I think its starting to feel less dry too. Hopefully it will start growing now! Fingers crossed.

Borgessa
November 20th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Oops excusey the mess in the photo.

spidermom
November 20th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Wow - the last photo is the best yet.

Moonfall
November 21st, 2016, 07:26 AM
I agree with Spidermom! The best of luck on your hair journey :)

Wosie
November 21st, 2016, 12:37 PM
Your hair is really transforming! It's looking very good and forming some bouncy curls, I'll be looking forward to seeing what your hair'll look like in a few weeks' time. :cheer:

kattmara
November 22nd, 2016, 02:29 PM
I have done the no comb, and really as folks have said, it seems like thats what i'm doing wrong, it makes it poofy and frizzy on the ends if i brush it, if i let it be, its okay.. I have tried the Co washing.

I visited a local hair shop, and the woman was horrified to hear i only washed once a week, said no wonder its dry not getting enough moisture. She kinda made me feel bad, like i was some dirty unkept person. I've tried just conditioning, every few days, and i bought a hydration mist that i think i like. But if i just co wash and crimp with no brushing it looks like this.

These curls stayed in till I slept in it, I still can't believe all these curls were there, some of them are even spirals. I think its starting to feel less dry too. Hopefully it will start growing now! Fingers crossed.

You can be absolutely fine with only washing once a week! The problem is usually the opposite - people wash too often and lose moisture by that! Don't let somebody shame you about how and when you wash as long as you are not obviously dirty and disturb other people, especially someone who gets her salary from selling products... Water (and washing) can actually make your hair more dry since it removes the oils that keep the moisture in. Think of it like fruit/vegetables, a vegetable that is left out in the air will dry out eventually, but a vegetable put in oil will stay very much the same. This is why conditioner and oiling is used to compensate for water and shampoo if you use that. On the other hand, a sun dried tomato that is already dry will not be any less dry when put in oil, the oil traps the water that is already in the fruit/hair, if you have almost none, only oil will not help.

Good that you have some products that you like! If you like to try DIY stuff there are a lot of recipes here and on YouTube and other places. Some oils that are usually liked and are my (2a) and my fiances (2b/c) favourites are coconut, jojoba, argan and shea butter, there are threads about using oils here on TLHC too.

How does it look when you have slept? Does it get frizzy, flat or just straighter? Have you tried putting your hair on top of your head in a bun when you sleep so the curls doesn't get squished? Pineapple I think it's called.

Borgessa
November 22nd, 2016, 08:43 PM
Thanks everyone, Kattmara, my hair has braid waves after i sleep I always braid it to sleep, i won't pineapple because I already have a lot of broken hairs from wearing my hair up, I no long pull my hair into one place with a hairband. i wear buns but only with sticks, or bobby pins, not sure about sleeping with pins in my hair, could cause damage?? I'm unsure. I like it curly now, I am coming to terms with it, but i'm not going to saturate it every day to bring the curls back to life, I always wear my hair up. Really only the ends of my hair are frizzy or poofy, the rest is okay, which was why i just thought they were so parched. Yesterday after a wash and condition i was able to brush my hair while it was dry with out the poof factor, so maybe I am getting some where.. I've last few days been putting some Jojoba oil in it, and some matrix total results moister me rich moister cure. I haven't got the right curl gel/cream yet, i put some in my hair the other day and it just didn't feel like my hair anymore stiff and yucky, even after crimping.

Here is my hair the day after i washed and brushed. (i didn't brush till bed time and time to braid) I do think its starting to look better it feels better too... feels really silky up near my crown, i think my flyaways even behaving a little better.
http://i68.tinypic.com/331hp42.jpg

Annalouise
November 23rd, 2016, 05:12 AM
There are curlies on the forum, like lapushka, who wash their hair once a week and do well with that. However, the point the stylist was making is that when you wash and condition your hair, it moisturizes it. If you did that daily conditioning on the length that means your hair is getting moisturized daily. This is often recommended for curly hair. If you wash your hair once a week you will either have to find a way to seal in the moisture, or, you will have to re-moisturize the strands throughout the week. You don't have to do this, but over time the curls can dry out. You want to keep those hair ends as hydrated as you can if you want them to remain healthy as you grow because they just get older like us. :D Kindof like our skin, as it ages it shows lines and we have to moisturize it to keep it hydrated. The sun and wind and air over time take moisture out of our hair. I don't know what the climate is like where you live, just things to think about.:)