PDA

View Full Version : Back Surgery and Long Hair Care

UP Lisa
November 14th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Hi. I am scheduled to have back surgery on the 30th, and am worried about how I am going to care for my hair afterwards. Unfortunately my hair is baby fine and tangles like crazy! Not sure how I'm going to brush it or braid it or wash it. I generally only wash all of my hair once a week, and do scalp washes in between. I bend over to do those, and I won't be able to do that.

Has anyone had this experience, and can offer some advice? Afraid of having to cut off my hair due to knots.

humble_knight
November 14th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Is there someone who can help you with washing your hair once you are discharged from hospital?

Garnetgem
November 14th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Hi there yes i have had back surgery and it is advised to plait your hair for the surgery and days following too...when i had mine washed i lay on a bed with my head over the edge and bowl of water on the floor along with plastic sheeting to protect floor and bed,then had someone help me by holding my head and washing it using a jug to pour the water over my hair to wash...but i do believe there are special trays to be had that attach to your sink so it acts a bit like a hairdresser sink easily available on line...hope this is of help to you and best of luck with your back surgery...

UP Lisa
November 14th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Well, my husband will be there, but not sure how he could help me. He might be able to braid my hair, though. I really can't leave my hair loose at all.

UP Lisa
November 14th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Thank you so much for the idea. I can just picture that complicated procedure. Makes me laugh.

humble_knight
November 14th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Can he, or someone else you trust, wash your hair for you while you're recovering at home? In hospital, they will be able to do it for you, as Garnetgem said.

UP Lisa
November 14th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Not sure how they will do it in the hospital unless I can go into the shower.

Eastbound&Down
November 14th, 2016, 09:58 AM
OP- your hair look pretty long in your picture, could you try to do a crown braid to keep it out of the way at the hospital? How long is your projected recovery time?

UP Lisa
November 14th, 2016, 10:00 AM
OP- your hair look pretty long in your picture, could you try to do a crown braid to keep it out of the way at the hospital? How long is your projected recovery time?

Well, a crown braid is a good idea except that I've never learned to do one. I do intend to bring satin pillowcases, which should help a little. My hair is about hip length now, but I intend to trim it to waist before surgery. I Think the blunt ends will help a little, also.

browneyedsusan
November 14th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Can you put it into Amish braids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYjubahR6g), or something similiar? Maybe 4 or 5 narrow dutch or french braids could be laced together?
Something like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zA37CREatY)? or this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M)?

Maybe you could tape it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwnlfDYzk8?)? (Sweet Torrin Paige recommends it for a long hospital stay, but I don't know if it's been tested.)

Good luck with the surgery and speedy recovery! <3

meteor
November 14th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Well, my husband will be there, but not sure how he could help me. He might be able to braid my hair, though. I really can't leave my hair loose at all.

I'd go for hairtaping (2 braids as coronets around the head) for surgery. It's great that your husband will be there for you. It's just that after back surgery you may have some difficulty with arms mobility for a while. So can your husband try to learn English-braiding your hair before the surgery so that he knows what to do when time comes to detangle and rebraid your hair after the surgery? A couple pigtail braids should be good enough - then they can be pinned around the head or bunned, whichever you prefer. You'll probably just need to have braids redone every couple days or so to prevent tangling.

Best of luck for your surgery! :blossom: I hope it goes very well and I wish you a speedy recovery! :heartbeat

lapushka
November 14th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Seconding, thirding, etc. the braids! Do either French/Dutch braids or regular English braids. The latter ones would be easy enough to redo if someone is helping you. And it will keep tangles to a minimum (except for the sheds that need to come out when you detangle).

UP Lisa
November 14th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will try to talk my husband into learning to do a simple English braid. The biggest problem is all the shorter hairs that don't stay tucked in very long. I don't know anything about Amish braiding. Will look into the taping thing.

browneyedsusan
November 14th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will try to talk my husband into learning to do a simple English braid. The biggest problem is all the shorter hairs that don't stay tucked in very long. I don't know anything about Amish braiding. Will look into the taping thing.

I linked up some tutorials to help you. :)

UP Lisa
November 14th, 2016, 12:45 PM
I linked up some tutorials to help you. :)

Thank you very much, but I'm not seeing them?

browneyedsusan
November 14th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Thank you very much, but I'm not seeing them?

Trying again:

Links
Amish braids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYjubahR6g)
Interlaced braids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M)
Hair taping (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwnlfDYzk8)

meteor
November 14th, 2016, 03:18 PM
I will try to talk my husband into learning to do a simple English braid. The biggest problem is all the shorter hairs that don't stay tucked in very long.

If he can only English-braid and some hairs stick out a lot (this is often a problem with layers, for example), he could try doing some smaller English braids around the areas where strands stick out the most (he doesn't have to braid to the very end) and then braid the lot together (a-la battle braid), e.g. 3 braids braided into one or just an English braid with a strategically placed accent braid or two (e.g. like this (http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af82/hairydays/EllingWomanBraid.jpg)). Check out "Luana" braids (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/20/luana-braids/) and woven crown braid variation (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/luana-braids-woven-crown-variation/) for details. I'd pin it up and also wear a silky bonnet/scarf over it to reduce friction against the pillow.
Amish Braids and Interlaced Dutch Braids can be great! :agree: But if you can't push your hair through those "pockets" without breaking strands, I wouldn't worry about it, just pin the braids around instead, using the smaller braided sections on scalp as a "cushion" for more secure pinning or hair-taping the ends around. ;)

Best of luck for your surgery! :heartbeat :blossom:

Garnetgem
November 14th, 2016, 03:24 PM
When your in hospital the nurses will do the braiding as they did for me...they too will help with washing it but once home you will need to find a way my way was funny but worked after a few weeks i was able to wash in the shower as normal..

Mamabearme
November 15th, 2016, 05:25 AM
After my mom had a mastectomy, I'd take her to a hair salon every 5 days or so and let them wash and comb her hair. Her hair was about waist length then.

Good luck with the surgery, and hoping for a speedy recovery.

UP Lisa
November 15th, 2016, 05:57 AM
The thing about having anyone else do my hair is that they are never gentle enough with it since it breaks so easily. I don't think anyone other than my husband would be that gentle. I guess I need to do some experimenting with braiding right now.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 15th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Hi!
All the best on your operation. Try not to stress too much as things have a way of working out.

Post op a braid on either side or both should work. Also you will need a silk bonnet to keep your hair in place.

Sending good vibes and wishing you a speedy recovery.

UP Lisa
November 15th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Thank you all for the good wishes. I do need to find one of those silk bonnets, I guess. Feel kind of silly wearing it, though.

truepeacenik
November 15th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Look at pony scrub hats, too. It's a surgical hat with a pocket for your length.
I wear one at work most days, and I know an LHCer who uses them whenever he is outside.
My hair is almost knee, his, longer.

UP Lisa
November 15th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Look at pony scrub hats, too. It's a surgical hat with a pocket for your length.
I wear one at work most days, and I know an LHCer who uses them whenever he is outside.
My hair is almost knee, his, longer.

Where is a good place to get one?

Garnetgem
November 15th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Thank you all for the good wishes. I do need to find one of those silk bonnets, I guess. Feel kind of silly wearing it, though.

Silk bonnets are fine for some but i found i was sliding about in my bed making me twist my back..painful thought i would share my experience of them..

UP Lisa
November 15th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Well, I'm not sue how well they would pair with satin pillowcases, which I intend to have, or how comfortable they would be.

Garnetgem
November 15th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Well, I'm not sue how well they would pair with satin pillowcases, which I intend to have, or how comfortable they would be.

I have not tried those but would like to at some point maybe better than a bonnet..

UP Lisa
November 16th, 2016, 07:33 AM
I have not tried those but would like to at some point maybe better than a bonnet..

I have used the pillowcases for years, and in my opinion they do help. Also more comfortable than wearing a bonnet.

truepeacenik
November 16th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Where is a good place to get one?
Etsy, of course.

Sure, that's the LHC answer.

mindwiped
November 16th, 2016, 11:08 PM
I got my bonnet of of Amazon, simply because we've got prime and 2 day shipping is great! Right before my spinal surgery, I attempted 2 French braids, put in very tightly, however my curls rapidly escaped. By the second day post op, I was able to put my hair into two English braids, especially if I could start the braid over my shoulder, with my head turned (my surgery was lumbar, your solution may have to be different if your site is higher in your spine). I didn't get any hair help from nurses, on any surgery I've had (spinal, gallbladder, nerve in my elbow) or the 5 day stay I had fire to blood clots about a year ago, so if you're US based, don't plan on nurse help. They do have 'shampoo' caps...it's a wet cleanser that doesn't have to be rinsed out, seeing if they'll give you a couple of those to stretch washes might be helpful.

LillithTheFirst
November 17th, 2016, 04:05 AM
Def go for two tight dutch braids and milk-maid it at the front if needed. Will eliminate matting, also because you won't have a braid down the back which will 1, be uncomfortable when laying down and two impossible to braid while laying down. You can braid two dutch, or even english braid whilst being in a laying position. If you want you can also just cover the entire head in a silk scarf. I would still change the hair every few days.

UP Lisa
November 17th, 2016, 05:54 AM
I got my bonnet of of Amazon, simply because we've got prime and 2 day shipping is great! Right before my spinal surgery, I attempted 2 French braids, put in very tightly, however my curls rapidly escaped. By the second day post op, I was able to put my hair into two English braids, especially if I could start the braid over my shoulder, with my head turned (my surgery was lumbar, your solution may have to be different if your site is higher in your spine). I didn't get any hair help from nurses, on any surgery I've had (spinal, gallbladder, nerve in my elbow) or the 5 day stay I had fire to blood clots about a year ago, so if you're US based, don't plan on nurse help. They do have 'shampoo' caps...it's a wet cleanser that doesn't have to be rinsed out, seeing if they'll give you a couple of those to stretch washes might be helpful.

I am having lumbar surgery - L5-S1. I am in the U.S. and have never received help with my hair in the hospital either.

Mrstran
November 17th, 2016, 11:08 AM
I've of no help here although I wish I could be. I hope you find your answer here and everything works out ok. Back surgery alone is a lot to handle. I wish you the very best and a speedy recovery. - hugs -

lapushka
November 17th, 2016, 11:13 AM
I am having lumbar surgery - L5-S1. I am in the U.S. and have never received help with my hair in the hospital either.

Good luck for your surgery! I hope you can get some decent aftercare, and that your husband can help you as best he can.

UP Lisa
November 17th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Thank you all so much. I guess it will all work out somehow.

Tassledown
November 17th, 2016, 07:24 PM
I'll definitely reiterate the hairtaping. The thing I liked about it is that, when done with dutch braids at least, Sometimes just retaping the hair around your head can help contain the strays for longer, at least with the half-inch wide ribbon I used (because the ribbon catches and traps the hairs alongside the braids.) That may another way to stretch having to fully redo your hair. I also use a lot of hair covers like silk scarves, although my hair is coarser.
If you have the money, buying a fabric snood and/or a velvet headband to keep it on might be a good investment, but obviously it requires special purchases. If your hair isn't really heavy, Garlands of Grace sells one (22$) that has the velvet incorporated into it and two English braids tuck into the pocket very tidily. The velvet portion should trap your strays very well. I sometimes have to clip it to my hair to keep it up because of the weight of my hair, but it will contain your hair and prevent anything outside tangling it.
My hair never tangles in my snoods even when loose, but we seem to have very different hairtypes. Good luck again, and hope something in my answer was new.

JohannaDutch
November 18th, 2016, 02:58 AM
Satin bonnet with a high braided bun might be an idea. I sleep with a satin scarf over my hair on top of a satin pillowcase. My hair stays the way I braided it the night before. Ik don't have as long hair as you have. And a scarf would be difficult for you to do, thats why I suggest a satin bonnet. Maybe a hairdresser could put your hair up in a bunn, that could stay up for a few days. Good Luck.