PDA

View Full Version : Simple Care tips for young girls

Tartlette
October 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
I am a leader in scouts, and we are currently working on the Star Sign, which includes a lot about being your best. Inside and out. We've already covered how each of us have specific talents, as well as body positive stuff (like showing how magazine women aren't what real women look like. Thank you Google for wonderful examples of photoshopping!) At our next meeting, I want to go over basic body care such as washing your face, general hair care plus styles for girls with long and short hair (i have a mix from short short to past shoulders) and also nail/hand care. I've kind of got the outline for what I want to go over, but would really love to hear tried and true tips that the girls will remember and find easy to do. Also any ideas for some fun things to do with short hair would be great as I'm trying not to leave anyone out.

A bright note is that they mention in the hair care section, not to color, curl or process your hair to much because it causes damage and to always make sure to have an adult show you the right way to do those things. That made me feel good!

VanillaTresses
October 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM
The number one tip that I "took home" as a young girl (which I think is very valuable) is to comb or brush from the bottom up. That is, start at the tangles on the ends of the hair-- get those out first and then slowly (and gently!) keep on going until the entire head is detangled. I have seen so many young girls literally rip through their hair--

Being gentle with it and combing from the bottom up is a great habit to get started on at an early age! :)

As far as anything else (i.e., with the dyes, flat ironing, etc.), well... youth is a time of experimentation. You can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink! :)

chelles2kids
October 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM
Another one that might be helpful, is to never brush while your hair is wet.
To try and always use a comb & a wide tooth comb preferably.
I know you can find those "shower combs" at places such as Wal-mart for around $1.00 or so.

This is something that I'm working through with my own daughter right now, her hair is about 3 inches from waist and when I trimmed it last week, I noticed some hairs that had broken from her pulling and tugging on it while wet.
She doesn't want to take the time to comb it out, as VanillaTresses mentioned, from the bottom up. She says it's faster just to pull the brush through it.:rolleyes:

I might also mention about washing the scalp really good. Not necessarily focusing on *all* the hair but moreso the scalp.

Also on days that they might not wash, to make sure to at least comb/brush it out really well before going to bed.
This will help with tangles as well.

Dolly
October 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM
I think the above tips are really good for the girls to learn.....especially the detangling part.....

As far as styles for shorter hair you can do a lot of cute, easy things with decorative barrettes, headbands, etc.....that would work for long or short styles.

I would also try to emphasize that the differences between the types of hair.....curly, straight, wavy.....are all beautiful in their own right.....you know, try to de-emphasize the "hair envy" that sometimes overtakes us all.....especially when we are younger.....try to help them learn to love the hair that they have.....that will probably go quite a long way toward treating their hair properly.....

aslanslucy
October 21st, 2008, 01:11 PM
You might remind them not to pile their hair on top of their head when washing. This is not good for the hair and leads to a lot of unnecessary tangles.

You could also talk about different types of hair products. When I was young, I didn't know much about these items but I was sure that everyone else knew. You could talk about gel, mousse, hair spray, etc. I would let their interest guide your discussion. Hair could be a fun topic for a few meetings, if the girls are enjoying it.

suicides_eve
October 21st, 2008, 02:07 PM
Curly hair loves to tangle while sleeping- braids or silk (silk-like ) pillow case cover

~ covering your feet in lotion or Vaseline then covering with sock over night make for soft feet

~File finger nails in ONE direction only ( didn't know that one til about 3 months ago:p)

cindy58
October 21st, 2008, 02:10 PM
Show them how to use a hair stick to put their hair up quickly and easily -- wish I had known how to do that when I was younger!

(Making/decorating a hair stick might be a fun craft project for them too.)

Eryka
October 21st, 2008, 02:48 PM
Brush your lips as well as your teeth everyday. This keeps all the dead skin off and makes them rosy. Just put vaseline or lip balm on after to keep them soft.

I'd try to introduce condition only since their hair doesn't get dirty like an adults. Since co washing my stepdaughters hair it doesn't matter how she brushes it, it won't tangle.

Speaking of tangles, introduce the sleep braid or low on the neck pony. Saves mommy and munchkin time.

bex487
October 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Another good one is to tell girls with longer hair to find hair elastics with no metal pieces-that way their hair won't rip. Also, never use rubber bands as a hair elastic!

Tartlette
October 21st, 2008, 02:56 PM
Oh those were some I do, but wouldn't have thought to pass on. I know the girls are all going to do what they will but it's always good to know the basics. My main goal as a leader has been more to teach them that individuality is a great thing, and it's okay not to follow the "herd".

*goes back to scribbling out a meeting plan that is fun AND fact packed.*

misstwist
October 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
Make sure they know "lather, rinse, repeat" is marketing speak for "buy more shampoo."

Elphie
October 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
I remember being about 12 years old and asking my aunt why would anyone want to rewash clean hair???

You might want to include some kind of compliment game, maybe write each girl's name on a slip of paper and ask each person to write something kind about that person's hair. Girls these days take on some negative body image concepts and nothing feels better than hearing something good from a peer.

MandaMom2Three
October 21st, 2008, 07:16 PM
I have 2 girls and WOW does their hair grow slow!!!!! My 2 yo daughter has NEVER had a trim and her hair is pixie at best. My 4 yo daughter has had a trim as her hair was just all kinds of crazy lengths LOL, most of it short but one strand that went down to her waist LOL. I trimmed it all to shoulder length and right now it's at the 4yo equivalent of BSL :p , when wet anyway, it's quite curly when dry. I am starting to go CO with them and see how that goes, it would be nice for them to have nice hair from the start LOL. I do wish it would grow a LITTLE faster though!! I see all these adoooorable little girls with LONG hair and here's mine and if it wern't for the dresses people would think 2yo is a boy!!! (and people ask even when she IS in a pink dress!!!!)