PDA

View Full Version : Breaking up clumps/post wash routine

Nesoi
November 12th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Since I found LHC, I've had the same post-wash routine. I detangle before washing so after I rinse out my conditioner I:

Squoosh out excess water from root to tip with my hands
Squeeze/blot hair from root to tip with microfibre towel
Headbang back and forth a couple of times to break my hair up and get it hanging upside down
Turban my hair inside microfibre towel while I get dressed etc
Unwrap towel and scrunch a little panacea into the ends
Flip hair right side up
Leave it to dry
Bun

It's always worked very well for me. However, at hip the head banging is coming up against an issue - space! It's smacking against stuff in my bathroom. I don't want to switch location as I don't want water everywhere. What's a headbanger to do?

I don't like to touch my hair too much when wet as this causes it to frizz madly, and I certainly don't want to comb it because this totally destroys my wave pattern and gives me triangle head. However, I do need to break it up from the single clump it ends up in after I wash and squeeze the water out.

How do my fellow wavies/curly girls break their hair up after washing? Do I need to start washing upside down?

Anya15
November 12th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Well I am a wavy and I don't break up my hair...in fact, the clumping is good for me since that's what makes it form the waves and wurls. If I break it up, I end up with undefined frizz.

Can you blot your hair a little more and do the headbanging in your bedroom? My mom does something similar and she's got 2a hair. She wraps it up in a towel, gets dressed etc and then she sort of breaks it up using her hands (not exactly headbanging, but similar way...I can't really explain what she does XD ) By the time she starts doing that, the towel's absorbed a lot of water so she doesn't get water everywhere.

spidermom
November 12th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Finger-combing? Running through it with 1 hair stick? Going outside or onto a stairwell?

Nesoi
November 12th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Thing is I HAVE to break it up Anou or my hair literally dries with the length in one giant clump and a totally flat scalp. Not pretty ;) The head banging gives me lift at the roots and breaks up the length just enough.

I feel like I already try to get as much water out as possible BUT I could change my technique with the towel...hmm...

Nesoi
November 12th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Spidermom the one hair stick idea might work! Thank you! Fingercombing when wet makes it frizz but I'm going to try running one stick through it!

Kimberly
November 12th, 2016, 11:36 AM
I bend 90 degrees at the waist at the side of the bed so I am looking straight down at it and my length is hanging down with the ends on the bed. Then my cat comes over and runs her claws through it, runs in and out of the hair tent with stops to touch noses, and stands on her hind legs to hug my head. She purrs while she does it, too. This breaks up my clumps to exactly the right degree. I'm a very lucky human.

Flipgirl24
November 12th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Since I found LHC, I've had the same post-wash routine. I detangle before washing so after I rinse out my conditioner I:

Squoosh out excess water from root to tip with my hands
Squeeze/blot hair from root to tip with microfibre towel
Headbang back and forth a couple of times to break my hair up and get it hanging upside down
Turban my hair inside microfibre towel while I get dressed etc
Unwrap towel and scrunch a little panacea into the ends
Flip hair right side up
Leave it to dry
Bun

It's always worked very well for me. However, at hip the head banging is coming up against an issue - space! It's smacking against stuff in my bathroom. I don't want to switch location as I don't want water everywhere. What's a headbanger to do?

I don't like to touch my hair too much when wet as this causes it to frizz madly, and I certainly don't want to comb it because this totally destroys my wave pattern and gives me triangle head. However, I do need to break it up from the single clump it ends up in after I wash and squeeze the water out.

How do my fellow wavies/curly girls break their hair up after washing? Do I need to start washing upside down?

I knew a girl who would kneel on the floor and bang her head down to the floor covered with a towel. What about just shaking your head side to side like in commercials? Then sat don't hate me because I'm beautiful.....;)

lapushka
November 12th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Try slipping your hands (fingers spread) into the roots and shaking it out from there. It's what I do, and it works.

Nesoi
November 12th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Flip and then I can wash my face by throwing water at it while laughing! ;)

Lapuska I think I'm going to try that again. Previously I found it uncomfortable but I've changed my products since then so should give it another shot.

Kimberley Cinderella's got nothing on you! ;)

missrandie
November 12th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Try slipping your hands (fingers spread) into the roots and shaking it out from there. It's what I do, and it works.

I do a similar "rake and shake" motion.

Flipgirl24
November 12th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Flip and then I can wash my face by throwing water at it while laughing! ;)

Exactly!

Kimberly, your cat is precious! Maybe getting a cat is the trick!