PDA

View Full Version : please help- is there an easier way

Browneyedbelle9
November 11th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Please help-Is there an easier way
So basically I have long hair a few inches from solid waist and I spend an hour each time I have a shower combing it.
So basically I shampoo, rinse and then sit on the floor for 20/30 sometimes 40 (with the water off) combing out the knots. My back is killing me by the time I wash the conditioner out but still leaving it well conditioned.
Is there another way instead of switching the water off and sitting down combing it through?
I love my hair but I still have another few years before I reach tailbone.
Any help is appreciated.

Please don't tell me to cut my hair I trim it regularly with dusting the ends.

Chromis
November 11th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Comb first then shower! I do not comb until my hair is dry or very nearly dry. Hair is fragile when wet. Also, how wide apart are the tines on your comb?

Many curlies like to comb *in* the shower with their hair full of conditioner to make it slippery.

Browneyedbelle9
November 11th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Comb first then shower! I do not comb until my hair is dry or very nearly dry. Hair is fragile when wet. Also, how wide apart are the tines on your comb?

Many curlies like to comb *in* the shower with their hair full of conditioner to make it slippery.

Thank you �� for replying. So my hair is wavy/can be curly and can be dry but oily at the top. My comb is a wide tooth comb and I still have the same issue if I comb before the shower as well.

I try and be gentle combing wet or dry and I try to unpick my knots rather than being impatient with the comb

I still end up taking far too long in the shower ��

lapushka
November 11th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Yes, unless your hair is in the 3s (full-on curly), detangle when dry, *before* you wash your hair. I detangle (comb/brush) before a wash, wash, then after it comes out of the towel, I detangle with a WT comb only pre-styling. The sheds come out before you wash, saving your drain (I do have a catcher thingie on it, but still some hair might still slip through), and then after you have washed whatever is left in there comes out like that. Easy! It only takes me less than 5 min. before a wash, and about the same amount after washing.

Use a *good* conditioner that gives you 0 tangles. If I do my method correctly (WCC), then I have zero tangles, so everything pretty much glides through without a hiccup. I find it odd that it takes you that long, when it shouldn't. I have classic length hair!

Browneyedbelle9
November 11th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Ok so in laments terms- I should brush my hair before showering (or comb) then shampoo and then let conditioner soak in then get out and detangle?

Should I let the conditioner sit in my hair for ten mins?

Browneyedbelle9
November 11th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Yes, unless your hair is in the 3s (full-on curly), detangle when dry, *before* you wash your hair. I detangle (comb/brush) before a wash, wash, then after it comes out of the towel, I detangle with a WT comb only pre-styling. The sheds come out before you wash, saving your drain (I do have a catcher thingie on it, but still some hair might still slip through), and then after you have washed whatever is left in there comes out like that. Easy! It only takes me less than 5 min. before a wash, and about the same amount after washing.

Use a *good* conditioner that gives you 0 tangles. If I do my method correctly (WCC), then I have zero tangles, so everything pretty much glides through without a hiccup. I find it odd that it takes you that long, when it shouldn't. I have classic length hair!

cool �� my fiancee would be happy tonight it took me 54 minutes (I timed it) and I sat on that floor for at twenty five minutes

Chromis
November 11th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Thank you �� for replying. So my hair is wavy/can be curly and can be dry but oily at the top. My comb is a wide tooth comb and I still have the same issue if I comb before the shower as well.

I try and be gentle combing wet or dry and I try to unpick my knots rather than being impatient with the comb

I still end up taking far too long in the shower ��

Silly question check! (I used to do this too!) How are you washing your hair? Are you piling it on top of your head like a shampoo commercial? I used to have sooooo much tangling from that!

Now I shampoo my scalp and just gently work a lather with my finger tips instead. The suds will run down the length and then you put some conditioner on your hands and just "pet" the down the length, very, very gently smooshing it in and maybe rolling the hair between your hands only a very small amount. It does not take any longer, just takes being less vigorous and letting the product do the work instead of mechanically manipulating the hair so much if that makes any sense at all. :flower:

Browneyedbelle9
November 11th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Silly question check! (I used to do this too!) How are you washing your hair? Are you piling it on top of your head like a shampoo commercial? I used to have sooooo much tangling from that!

Now I shampoo my scalp and just gently work a lather with my finger tips instead. The suds will run down the length and then you put some conditioner on your hands and just "pet" the down the length, very, very gently smooshing it in and maybe rolling the hair between your hands only a very small amount. It does not take any longer, just takes being less vigorous and letting the product do the work instead of mechanically manipulating the hair so much if that makes any sense at all. :flower:

Oh my Gosh yes this is true I don't really pile it high but yeah I get why it tangles I use up normally three golf ball sizes worth of conditioner lol I'm doing this all wrong

Ok. So from now on let conditioner do its thing and comb when I get out.

What is a good detangler to keep the knots at bay I was thinking of buying those detangle sprays for little girls with long hair

hanne jensen
November 11th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Don't comb in the shower at all. Wait until your hair is damp and then gently use your fingers to de-tangle.

w0nderland
November 11th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Definitely comb when dry! Saves your hair and your back as your hair will be a lot lighter! I always try to finger detangle as best as i can before combing, although this takes me awhile. Then try to run my fingers through my hair when the conditioner is on to make sure they are all out :)

Chromis
November 11th, 2016, 08:35 AM
Yes, yes! No hair piled up on top of your hair!

Keep it going the same way it grows. (Some people like to do inversion washing, but I am guessing that like myself, this is not a good one for you either haha)

So this might be helpful and you shouldn't need the bowl since you aren't as long yet as Gossamer, but check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPUnBy9Ntus
Cinnamon Hair also has a good video, but I am running out of time and didn't find it right away.

Browneyedbelle9
November 11th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Wow thank you guys I was seriously getting fed up with not knowing how long I'd be showering haha will have to try this now ��

KittyBird
November 11th, 2016, 09:05 AM
I prefer to slather my hair in conditioner and then comb through it under running water. It only takes a few minutes, and the tangles pretty much just fall out of my hair. Just putting conditioner on it and detangling doesn't work for me, it takes ages and my hair just sticks together and forms new tangles.

lapushka
November 11th, 2016, 09:24 AM
What is a good detangler to keep the knots at bay I was thinking of buying those detangle sprays for little girls with long hair

I use the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. It is my HG detangler/conditioner. I use it as my second C in WCC (yes I double condition because of the harshness of my shampoo). But there's plenty more great conditioners out there to try.

Definitely don't pile your hair on top of your head! OMG. No!

truepeacenik
November 11th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Another fine tuning point, where do the tangles form?
End tangles can be sticky ends needing some clarifying.
Do you detangle aside from the shower?

What about avoiding tangles? Do you wear protective styles, at least at night?

tanglemangle
November 11th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Personally, I shower in the morning and comb my hair wet - albeit somewhat gently - if I waited for my hair to dry to comb it, I'd have a pile of wet tangled hair at work most of the day. I also use *this* baddie and I LOVE it. brush.png

lapushka
November 11th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Personally, I shower in the morning and comb my hair wet - albeit somewhat gently - if I waited for my hair to dry to comb it, I'd have a pile of wet tangled hair at work most of the day. I also use *this* baddie and I LOVE it. brush.png

You can't link images straight from your computer. You need an image hosting site (imgur, photobucket), upload the picture there, you'll get some BBcode URLs, then paste those into a message here. HTH.

spidermom
November 11th, 2016, 07:28 PM
When I wash my hair, I leave it hanging down and finger-comb the shampoo solution over my scalp and through my length. No piling, no scrubbing. If I feel my scalp needs more attention, I use my shower comb on it, but over my scalp only, not through my hair. Then I rinse and apply conditioner to my length, massage and finger-comb it through, then shower-comb it through. Rinse. Then I gently drop my length into a flannel pillowcase to catch the drips. The secret is in being very careful not to muss the hair all around while washing and conditioning.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 12th, 2016, 12:07 AM
Hi!
You have received wonderful advice her.
Just to add as a curly I make sure I detangle daily. (I have read some members give their hair a good brushing before washing.)

In the shower I always keep my hair down. I wash my scalp and am gentle with my length do not rub and bunch it. While I rinse my hair, with the water still running through it check that my hair is not tangled. Then I apply conditioner do other body washing stuff. Then rinse out my hair and separate any locks that may be intertwined, with my fingers. Once done I squeeze out the water then apply a little conditioner to my ends as a leave-in up till bsl.
Next style and dry. I never get tangles this way.

My siggie picture is of my hair the next day. My profile is of same day as wash day. I comb when my hair is dry. But I do a DT every week. I only brush when I am doing measurements.
My hair is much more curly .... thought this might help. But you can try what works best for you.

lulikrueger
November 12th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Brush it before shampooing, also try a Tangle Teezer(I swear on them) and use something emolient(could be a condish, could be an oil) right before you brush.
Also, the emolient thing of your choosing will work as a pre-poo, leaving you with less tangles after shampooing.

Saldana
November 12th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Excellent advice from previous responders, but I'll join in with what I do (Your hair is wavier than mine, but mine's getting thicker and wavier as time goes along)

This is what I do:

Brush and comb before showering
Shampoo only the scalp; rinsing carries the shampoo down the strands
Pile on conditioner, do the rest of the 'shower things', then rinse the conditioner out
Wrap hair in a microfiber towel to soak up as much water as possible
Let hair down to air dry
Comb when about 2/3 dry (still damp, but not wet)
Either put hair up damp, or leave it down to finish airdrying

Works for me - minimal tangles.

restless
November 12th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Maybe a silly question, but have you tried switching your shampoo and conditioner? My hair rarely tangles, but when I once bought a shampoo/conditioner with lots of protein in, I could barely get the tangles out afterward. It could be worth a shot checking out the ingredients lists if you havent already.

jfg1987
November 12th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Brush it before shampooing, also try a Tangle Teezer(I swear on them) and use something emolient(could be a condish, could be an oil) right before you brush.
Also, the emolient thing of your choosing will work as a pre-poo, leaving you with less tangles after shampooing.

I second investing in a Tangle Teezer! It's a life changer.

Kirby-oh
November 12th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Ok help me out, what do you all mean by "piling" up your hair on top of your head? I have to keep it somewhere while the conditioner works. I basically make a pony tail, flip it up over my head, and take a medium sized hair clamp and lock it down in one strip on top of my head. It's not long enough to need to flip it back halfway down and clamp in a second spot yet, the ends flop over my ear for now

neko_kawaii
November 12th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Ok help me out, what do you all mean by "piling" up your hair on top of your head? I have to keep it somewhere while the conditioner works. I basically make a pony tail, flip it up over my head, and take a medium sized hair clamp and lock it down in one strip on top of my head. It's not long enough to need to flip it back halfway down and clamp in a second spot yet, the ends flop over my ear for now

Your technique shouldn't cause any problems. The problem with "piling" as illustrated in shampoo commercials where all the hair is gathered together at the scalp to distribute shampoo/condish is that can cause unnecessary tangles in longer hair.

missrandie
November 12th, 2016, 08:12 PM

This is what we are talking about. Tangle-maker!

http://sev.h-cdn.co/assets/15/51/washing-hair-in-commercial.gif

EbonyCurls
November 14th, 2016, 02:14 AM
I have pretty curly hair and I never wash my hair without first sectioning it and carefully going through it with a boar bristle brush on dry hair with coconut oil (to prevent damage I use soft-medium bristle), and do very small sections at a time, like 2-4 inches. You can do this the night before, then braid to keep from getting tangled; saves on time, plus it gives the oil a chance to get absorbed. Brushing before washing also helps remove dead hairs that would just fall out in the shower and cause more tangling.

Once in the shower I smother my hair from the ears down with a thick, slippery conditioner (I use VO5 moisture milk line, cheap so you can use as much as much is you need), then I comb with a wide tooth comb before I apply shampoo only to the scalp, and cleaning only the scalp.

When it's time to rinse out, I divide my hair in half and comb the shampoo and pre-conditioner out under the shower stream, before applying my final conditioner. Sometimes if my hair starts to get tangly while rinsing out shampoo, I'll apply more of the precondition to the length to help things along. I've learned a long time ago not to measure how much conditioner to use. I use as much as my hair needs for that particular washing, and it changes. On one particularly tangly washing I ended up using a third of a bottle; thank goodness VO5 only cost $.75 at Walmart. With this method my hair feels like butter during the entire process. Before this method I was like you I had to shut off the water and then I always ended up with the tangled mass and huge balls of hair.

Adelain
November 14th, 2016, 07:20 AM
Have you ever tried a tangle teezer brush? I have wavy-curly hair and swear by this :) I usually brush my hair before the shower and then when I have conditioner on