PDA

View Full Version : Can all hair types be silky? or am I wasting my time dreaming

catfish
October 21st, 2008, 11:51 AM
I really want the silky, slippery hair that everyone here at TLHC seems to have. Is it possible for all hair types to have it?

My hair type is fine, but I have a good amount of it, it is wavy and frizzy. My hair is pretty dry by nature and while it is very healthy, no bad splits or damage, it never feels silky. It is soft and fluffy, but it is very light and just seems to frizz up and fly away. It is this way on cones, no cones, conditioner, no conditioner, oil, no oil...etc...

Am I doomed with this texture or am I not doing something that brings on the silky.
Thank you:o catfish

JessTheMess
October 21st, 2008, 11:54 AM
I have come to the conclusion long ago that my hair will never be silky lol. It will always be at it's best, soft and nice to the touch, but never silky. I have too many coarser strands tossed into the mix to be that smooth. It may be possible with certain styling aids, but let me know when you have found on that works because I am still searching as well :D

Áine
October 21st, 2008, 12:16 PM
I don't know about everybody, but I certainly had a transformation of my own.

Almost a couple years ago, before joining LHC, I had a very, uh... "textured"-feeling 2a/2b hair. It was not smooth or glossy. I couldn't even call it poofy, it was like the individual strands were "crinkly".

Currently, my hair is pretty smooth, has good soft body, and is decidedly shiny, even on dirty days.

My secret? Washing and rinsing only with distilled or bottled water, the caramel treatment (http://www.etaeproducts.com/products.htm), and the egg yolk and honey treatment on my roots.

My hair, I discovered, is quite naturally porous, and readily takes up any salt or mineral deposits that are in the water, so it is quite easy for me to get "crunchy" hair. I cut out all tap water, and I take advantage of the porosity by adding the things that my hair liked. For some reason, my hair takes so much better to food ingredients than I thought it would... so that's what I use to maintain this new found shine and luster.

jojo
October 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM
My hair was always my worst asset, it looked frizzy, dull and had no shine. No thanks to a complete turn-a-round in my routine, no heat, using oils and putting my hair up my hair is now something I am proud of.

zift
October 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM
I think you're more lucky about the silkiness issue as you have fine hair. Mine is coarse and I decided that I could never have silky hair. I think that my hair has other merits like being thick and volumed so it's OK for me, you could try thinking like this too. Focus on your own beauties like softness and lightness, your hair sounds very lovely:)

spidermom
October 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM
I've got a number of coarse, rough-feeling hairs. They look rippled under a strong light. I don't think I could ever make those hairs feel silky. I'll settle for undamaged. (oh heck, going by past experience, I'll have to settle for less than that)

prosperina
October 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM
I find if I use oil after washing, or coco butter mixed with coconut oil (mixed into a cream) I have more of a chance of silky hair. That is to say, the frizzies are tamed more. And my hair feels very soft, but it isn't smooth, silky 1a hair either.

Besides, you've got to keep in mind that even the people whose hair you admire, don't have hair like that all the time. It's a photo taken right after their hair has been combed and carefully arranged. Those same silky haired people might have horrible tangles if they left their hair down all day.

brok3nwings
October 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
Aine do you use a filter? Cause if you dont how do you ONLY wash with distilled or bottled water? i use a lot of water to take any residue from my hair...

catfish i know what you mean, but i think for what you described that your hair has a good texture. Im not personally looking for a silky kind of look, im looking for healthy natural looking kind of hair. If it was too silky or too shiny it would mean that i used a lot of chemical products OR that my hair was fine and oily

FrannyG
October 21st, 2008, 04:50 PM
catfish, first of all, I have to tell you that everyone here on LHC does absolutely not have silky and slippery hair. That much I know for certain.

I would also like to point out that when you look at everyone's avatar photo or profile signature, you can be 99% certain that they primped their hair into looking its absolute best before that camera snapped.

Okay, having said that, everyone is different. My hairtype and texture is significantly different than yours, so what works for me may not work for you at all.

I've had great success personally with COing, non-cones, ACV rinses, SMTs, and a few drops of jojoba on my damp hair after a wash.

Cassia has proven to be a very beneficial treatment for keeping my hair soft and retaining moisture as well.

Keep experimenting, and I'm sure that you will find a routine that works. It won't happen overnight, but you can improve your hair.

Deborah
October 21st, 2008, 05:11 PM
True silkiness is perhaps only possible with a certain type of hair. But most everyone can improve the texture of their own hair by caring for it in the right way. There is nothing wrong with curly, wavy or straight hair. Each has its own virtues and it's own unique texture. Just treat yours as kindly and gently as you can, and you will get a good response from it. Learn to appreciate the texture and color and even length that you have right now. It is just too easy to think that everyone else has better hair. Well, probably some do, and some don't.

Having said all that, here are a couple of things that I think contribute to keeping one's hair in good healthy shape, and that might help the hair shine and swing.

CO washing is nice and gentle. Some don't like it, but I do. I don't use the second conditioner some use, as I think it is just adding a layer of unnecessary product onto the hair surface, and tends to make the hair feel limp and oily. I think that some who say they cannot use CO are causing it to fail by adding in that second conditioner. Just my opinion.

ACV or other acidic rinses are good for bringing out however much shine your hair is capable of showing. Ending with a quite cold final rinse is good too.

Don't add extra products if you can avoid them. I never use any sprays, gels or anything else. Allow the hair to be what it is. I think this helps keep it shiny and more healthy.

Whatever you do, I hope you find a way to help you enjoy your hair more, and for it to look it's very best. :)

Nat242
October 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM
My hair has become soft, even smooth, but I wouldn't say it's quite "silky".

Áine
October 21st, 2008, 05:58 PM
Aine do you use a filter? Cause if you dont how do you ONLY wash with distilled or bottled water? i use a lot of water to take any residue from my hair...

The water that goes on my head comes from the store in jugs/bottles and not from the tap. That is the ONLY kind of water I use for my hair now. One learns to be quite efficient with water usage in this scenario because you don't have a seemingly infinite supply to draw from.

ChloeDharma
October 21st, 2008, 06:01 PM
I really want the silky, slippery hair that everyone here at TLHC seems to have. Is it possible for all hair types to have it?

My hair type is fine, but I have a good amount of it, it is wavy and frizzy. My hair is pretty dry by nature and while it is very healthy, no bad splits or damage, it never feels silky. It is soft and fluffy, but it is very light and just seems to frizz up and fly away. It is this way on cones, no cones, conditioner, no conditioner, oil, no oil...etc...

Am I doomed with this texture or am I not doing something that brings on the silky.
Thank you:o catfish

Your hair sounds a bit like mine in that even in "perfect" condition, because it's fine and depending on its mood will have varying amount of wave to it, it kinda floats about looking dry and frizzy even though it's actually not.
I find it's most like this just after it's been air dried left down. I've always had hair that looks much better the day after it's been washed.
But, even though mine can go like that, it can also look incredibly silky and shiney, usually when i'm just sat at home and nobody will see it :(
I find that bunning it loosly while damp with a little bit of oil on it makes it set much smoother and look alot better than letting it just air dry loose.
Anyway, one major benefit of fine hair is how once you work out what it likes and often it can be something very subtle, it can usually look very shiney and silky. So don't give up....but also, try not to fall into the trap of only seeing what you think are imperfections, often those are only noticeable by you and while you think that those faults are the main characteristic of your hair, in reality it looks lovely and other people are admiring it.

Igor
October 21st, 2008, 07:11 PM
Up until a few months ago I would have said no :wink: But then I discovered that a little honey in my conditioner makes even my super coarse mane silky and soft

I think you just need more experimentation

catfish
October 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks to all for the tips:D I will keep experimenting.

It's true that I tend to focus on the negatives , trying to improve and even change what I have. I want what's best for my hair, so that ultimately I can have my hair at it's best.

Perhaps I'm simply paying far too much attention to the yard next door over the fence:o

Anje
October 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Keep working on it...

Your hairtype is quite similar to mine -- while mine isn't always silky, it does get that way on occasion. I'm still figuring out how best to achieve that, as it tends to require enough moisture to give me a soggy scalp.

Have you done CO washing? CO, lots of SMTs, and SBCC seem to help increase the silkiness (though SBCC goes through a sticky phase before achieving silky).

ETA: Mine is floaty-frizzy a lot too. That doesn't mean it isn't soft and silky, just that it doesn't have that weight to it that some hairtypes have. I blame the fineness and the tendency for new growth to curl.

Shorty89
October 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
My hair is rarely silky, it is usually fluffy and soft. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. :flower: That's just the way my hair is. I think, as already pointed out, that our photos are somewhat decieving because we primp our hair before taking them eh.

HairColoredHair
October 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
My hair is fluffy the first day after it dries. Too clean, I guess. Then it gets more slick, shiny. Then it gets 'greasy'.

The camera makes it shiny all the time!

Dianyla
October 22nd, 2008, 06:26 PM
It really depends on your hair texture. If you have finer to medium hair shaft thickness, and straighter texture, you have a good chance of having "silky" feeling hair.

The coarser, and the more textured hair is, the less likely it is that it will ever feel silky. Optimally cared for coarse hair can feel strong and smooth and sleek.

Chromis
October 22nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
I would have never dreamt of my hair feeling silky or even soft until I found a routine my hair likes. What routine works best for you may be different. For me, shampoo bars and acid rinses will give me silky hair, especially if I stretch washes. I use coconut oil and shea butter as well.

Anje
October 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Be forewarned: if your hair is like mine, on its smooth, soft, silky days it won't behave. My hair slides out of all kinds of styles those days. Greasy, well-oiled hair, on the other hand, stays put and looks silky until you take it down.

Anje
October 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
The water that goes on my head comes from the store in jugs/bottles and not from the tap. That is the ONLY kind of water I use for my hair now. One learns to be quite efficient with water usage in this scenario because you don't have a seemingly infinite supply to draw from.
Now I have to ask: how much water do you need to wash your hair?

fleurdelis
October 22nd, 2008, 07:05 PM
I also agree that much of silkiness and shine is achieved (at least by me) with a camera withz flash, but appart from that what works for me is a bit honey in my conditioner and a nice long icy water in the end. Once I washed my hair (becuase I had to), only in cold water, including shampoo and everything, and it wasnever as shiny as then.

blackice
October 22nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Frizzy, soft and fluffy? I feel your pain x10:)

Eloa
October 23rd, 2008, 06:31 AM
if I really work on my hair real hard with moisture treatment, cassia, coconut oil and aloe vera, it gets close to being silky... or rather, soft. I've decided that my hair can't be silky-slippery, but that's ok with me, because it has volume and waves. I guess you can't have it all, so I've made my peace with my hair... though sometimes I'm really bummed that my sister got the silk and I'm stuck with waves.

SHELIAANN1969
October 23rd, 2008, 06:38 AM
Nope, my hair is never silky, I have curly wurly insane hair that tangles constantly, frizzes out and I always look like I am surprised with the hair sticking out the way it does.

The only time my hair is "faux" silky, is when I have added way too much oil or have waited too long between wash days, either way, the result comes from the greasies.

I am like a shedding dog as well, if we don't vacuum our bedroom floor every couple of days, I can swipe my hand acroos the floor and come up with handsfull of nests. I am serious, my hair is an entity that takes over.

Everyone silky? Nope! :)

longhairdreams
October 23rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
Another non-silky here.My hair feels soft and fluffy when its healthy.I can get it to feel extra slippy,and look shiny with protein but my hair has a very low tolerance for protein.So you are far from alone.

starfire
October 23rd, 2008, 10:35 AM
I am like a shedding dog as well, if we don't vacuum our bedroom floor every couple of days, I can swipe my hand acroos the floor and come up with handsfull of nests. I am serious, my hair is an entity that takes over.

Hee hee that's me!

Henna made my hair silkier than it had ever been before. But it's still not silky like a fine-haired person's hair might be.

Áine
October 23rd, 2008, 05:55 PM
Now I have to ask: how much water do you need to wash your hair?

Just a single gallon jug is all I need. I sometimes even have a little bit left over.

savi
October 26th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Are you my hair twin?
I've yet to experience the silky feel even if I can stop the frizz and my hair feels soft. Finding a good oil and adding humectants has helped me.

Eryka
October 26th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I think a lot of people confuse shiny hair with silky hair, myself included.

Personally, my secret hair weapon is only allowing cool/cold water to touch it. Take the lowest temperature you can stand and most likely you'll have more slip and shine. Been doing this from the very beginning.

Curlsgirl
October 26th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I have a friend who always blowdries, irons and dyes her hair all over every month.

Her hair is extremely silky but it's 1a hair too. I will never have hair like hers exactly. When I get mine blown dry at the salon and a lot of stuff added, it comes very close. I have also decided that I will settle for strong, soft, healthy looking hair. A lot of the "silk" is in the hairtype in my opinion.

Tangles
October 26th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Are you my hair twin?
I've yet to experience the silky feel even if I can stop the frizz and my hair feels soft. Finding a good oil and adding humectants has helped me.

Not sure what your siggy pic is if it isn't silkiness...!