PDA

View Full Version : Some measuring questions

Katia_k
November 10th, 2016, 11:20 PM
People may have already answered this somewhere, and if so I apologize. But I was curious about the "rules" people had for measuring their hair, like how they maintain consistency, how they set it up, how they make sure they're getting a relatively accurate measurement each time.

I have curls that make guessing length complicated, and to make it harder, I have layers that I want to keep because without them I have triangle-head. But I'm never quite sure at what point to mark as "hemline," as the longest layer is...a little sparse, and I have this one weird curl that's like 3 inches longer than the rest of my hair. So I'd like to know how people with layers keep measuring consistent, and at what point you call something actually part of your length vs "that weird curl that does what it wants".

Sorry for the vague, I have end-of-semester brain and it makes words hard.

Arctic
November 11th, 2016, 03:15 AM
Hi,

first of all I might cut that one looser curls shorter, so it would be more in line with the rest of your hemline.

I don't have curls myself, but I have waves and layers and U-shaped hemline. I don't think I can ever get scientifically accurate measurements by myself, but I do seem to get consistent results, i.e. if I measure monthly the results is about 1 cm longer than it was the last month. I find this trustworthy enough for myself, to a point that I can see reliably if my hair did not grow or grew more than normal.

I get the best measurement when my hair is very wet, straight from the towel after washing. I comb it out very well and I take advantage of the wetness and form it into one big clump at the nape (making sure the hair is as long as it can get, so no actual ponytailing or anything). Then I take the soft measuring tape (the sewing type) and place it carefully on my forehead hairline.

I take it over my crown and let if fall at the back. I hold the starting spot firmly with one hand at the forehead, and adjust the placement of the tape at the crown so it's in the middle. I hold it there firmly with my free hand, at which point I can release the hand that held the tape at the forehead.

I continue this: changing hands to position the tape lower and lower down as many times as needed, making sure the spot where I hold the tape at a time never moves (so if I would have 4 hands, the starting point would still be at the same spot on the front hairline, only that now there is no hands holding it there and the beginning of the measuring tape is now hanging down free).

When I get to the portion of my hair that is hanging down from my back hairline (a little bit lower than the nape of the neck), I carefully and slowly bring the length and tape over my shoulder so I can see it. This is a critical step, as it's where the tape is most likely to move if I don't be very careful and hold it down very securely.

When I feel comfortable in the new position, I might need to adjust the tape a bit so it's facing the mirror (it tends to get burried inside the hair during the switch from back to front), needless to say this is also a step that it's easy to let the tape move if I'm not careful.

Then I just continue the same I did above: switching hands and moving lower towards the ends, always making sure one hand is holding the tape securely while the other is finding a new spot to hold the tape at. When I get to the tips, thanks to my hemline shape I tend to have a v-ish shaped tassle of hair there, not blunt tassle. I just see which is the longest spot, and view from the mirror what the tape says this spot is long, and that's my number.

I used to repeat this couple of times to make sure the memasurement is correct, but soon learned to trust my method/technique as the numbers always matched (approximately, this is not a method to measure millimeters but centimeters), so these days I only do it once.

It sounds more complicated than it is, I just tried to be as accurate with details as possible. It takes a minute or two all and all, so very easy and quick.

Just remember to always hold the measuring tape firmly with one hand, and to be very careful when you bring the hair/tape from the back to front.

(If you don't usually comb your curls after washing, then I'd consider doing this method with combed, wet hair, and after measuring just rewet your hair and style as normal.)

lapushka
November 11th, 2016, 04:54 AM
People may have already answered this somewhere, and if so I apologize. But I was curious about the "rules" people had for measuring their hair, like how they maintain consistency, how they set it up, how they make sure they're getting a relatively accurate measurement each time.

I have curls that make guessing length complicated, and to make it harder, I have layers that I want to keep because without them I have triangle-head. But I'm never quite sure at what point to mark as "hemline," as the longest layer is...a little sparse, and I have this one weird curl that's like 3 inches longer than the rest of my hair. So I'd like to know how people with layers keep measuring consistent, and at what point you call something actually part of your length vs "that weird curl that does what it wants".

Sorry for the vague, I have end-of-semester brain and it makes words hard.

The "normal" way of measuring here assures you of a *same* and *consistent* starting point. You put the tape measure on the hairline in front (forehead), let the tape measure drape over the top of your head and then down the length. This gives a "weird" number, but it is consistent - that is the most important thing!

OhSuzi
November 11th, 2016, 04:58 AM
I find it tricky to measure hair too - especially whlst its between the pixie to shoulder length range - I've not worried too much about the actual figures.
I take pics once a month so I can compare the growth progress. I eyeball it & just look at my hair & go it's falling to about eye level - it covers my ears, its reached my jawline.
Also pushing hair forward & seeing where it reaches to - my eyebrows / nose tip / below my lips etc.

As it gets longer a lot of people on here take photos every month wearing the same striped t shirt, or a few genius people have marked an old white t shirt with inch marks all the way down and particular milestones marked on them like shoulder, Arm Pit, Bra Strap, Mid Back etc.

Also some curlies do a natural photo shot and a stretched where they hold the bottom of their hair & stretch it out straight.

I guess the key it's up to you how you define your length, but whatever method you use - be consistent - have the same starting point if you are using a tape measure e.g. nape, centre of forehead / wear the same striped t shirt & always hold your head in same position for photos etc.

Nique1202
November 11th, 2016, 06:24 AM
And on top of the methods described above, some of us have stopped measuring entirely for various reasons (it's difficult to do on your own, and sometimes it can lead to getting really obsessive and anxious about hair growth which defeats the purpose of growing it out to make yourself happy). I eyeball my length against body milestones, and I feel a lot less upset than when I'd measure my hair regularly.

lapushka
November 11th, 2016, 08:15 AM
And on top of the methods described above, some of us have stopped measuring entirely for various reasons (it's difficult to do on your own, and sometimes it can lead to getting really obsessive and anxious about hair growth which defeats the purpose of growing it out to make yourself happy). I eyeball my length against body milestones, and I feel a lot less upset than when I'd measure my hair regularly.

Exactly this. After about BSL I just started measuring relative to body markers, like: x-amount of inches from TBL, or from classic, or from whatever goal is that you're trying to attain. Much easier!

Katia_k
November 11th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Exactly this. After about BSL I just started measuring relative to body markers, like: x-amount of inches from TBL, or from classic, or from whatever goal is that you're trying to attain. Much easier!

I tried to measure by body markers, but I was feeling like I was making 0 progress that way, because my length fluxuates *so* much depending on what my curls are doing. You would think, not having full-on high3/4 curls that this wouldn't make a difference, but my hair is so stinking fluffy that its cleanliness levels and the movements of the planet change it drastically. So the *intention* of the measurements was so I could feel like I was making progress, even if it wasn't visible. That plan is...failing so far, as I've gained 0 length apparently since September, and almost none since I started in February.

Maybe I'll try it wet, or I'll start doing the photo thing. I'm just feeling really confused and discouraged right now. *whine whine* :D

Annalouise
November 11th, 2016, 11:05 AM
I don't recommend the measuring by body markers because curly/wavy hair can be shortened by tight curls one day, and then almost straight from brushing it the next day.
When you measure your hair with the measuring tape over your head, you can slide your hair through your fingers, like stylists do when they are cutting hair. You pull the hair down, pulling the curls straight, to get your measurement for length.

It's a pet peeve of mine that people mark their length as "bsl" or "waist" because I don't know how tall they are? It really doesn't tell us how long the hair actually is. Are they 4'8" or 6'5"? :shrug:

lapushka
November 11th, 2016, 12:22 PM
I tried to measure by body markers, but I was feeling like I was making 0 progress that way, because my length fluxuates *so* much depending on what my curls are doing. You would think, not having full-on high3/4 curls that this wouldn't make a difference, but my hair is so stinking fluffy that its cleanliness levels and the movements of the planet change it drastically. So the *intention* of the measurements was so I could feel like I was making progress, even if it wasn't visible. That plan is...failing so far, as I've gained 0 length apparently since September, and almost none since I started in February.

Maybe I'll try it wet, or I'll start doing the photo thing. I'm just feeling really confused and discouraged right now. *whine whine* :D

That's odd, even for curly hair that you haven't gained much length since February. Do you still heat style? Could it be breakage?

Katia_k
November 11th, 2016, 01:21 PM
That's odd, even for curly hair that you haven't gained much length since February. Do you still heat style? Could it be breakage?

I have had a lot of breakage, and I did just get a very small trim, so it's *possible* I gained a little. My hair breaks really easily, and I'm sure my henna treatments are rough on it.

I don't heat-style though. I wear it up most days, dry with a t-shirt, don't do any strenuous styles--I live in buns and braids, use sulfate and cone-free stuff, etc etc. In theory I'm doing everything right? I do think I made myself protein deficient over the summer/fall, since I'm in grad school and...kind of lived off toast for a while. And I wasn't as good about DT's as I should have been. So I'm trying to eat more protein and do protein treatments, and getting on a schedule for my deep conditioners.

I've also been measuring unstretched, which I think I need to change, because of above comments on curls. So if I can do that, and figure out why everything breaks if I basically sneeze on it, maybe I'll be on my way...I don't know. And perhaps my hair is just crappy and I have a ridiculously pathetic terminal length.

Nique1202
November 11th, 2016, 01:48 PM
I don't recommend the measuring by body markers because curly/wavy hair can be shortened by tight curls one day, and then almost straight from brushing it the next day.
When you measure your hair with the measuring tape over your head, you can slide your hair through your fingers, like stylists do when they are cutting hair. You pull the hair down, pulling the curls straight, to get your measurement for length.

It's a pet peeve of mine that people mark their length as "bsl" or "waist" because I don't know how tall they are? It really doesn't tell us how long the hair actually is. Are they 4'8" or 6'5"? :shrug:

If your curl pattern changes from day to day, then as pointed out above, you can do it when it's wet for a more consistent look at the length, or right before you wash if it tends to be straighter from gravity and different styles between washes.

The problem of "are you 4'8" or 6'5"?" mostly only matters when it comes to comparing the styles you can do at a given length, which I fully agree is a problem. But, classic is going to look similar on both heights proportionally, which is the main draw of using body markers, and (for me, at least) measuring inches even just once a month got really stressful, I started to obsess whenever I'd get 1/3 instead of 1/2 inch and stuff, and it wasn't healthy for me, and I know I'm not the only one.

Anyway, it's an option for people who want to do it that way, and nobody should feel obligated to do one or the other, but it is handy to know how many inches of hair you have at each main body marker so that you can provide a reasonably accurate guess if/when you need to. If you can get help for a couple of minutes you can get all those measurements in one sweep and never have to bother with them again if you don't want to.

Mrstran
November 11th, 2016, 01:53 PM
I can't answer everything because there is a ton I still don't know. But, I have made 3 reference points to make sure I'm accurate when measuring.
I measure from:
Right side toward the back of my neck down my length.

Tilting my head to the right horizontally, I start at my part on the top of my head and measure length. (Easily done as My hair is short)

Then I measure my root growth. My hair was bleached, so I keep track easy measuring new growth.

I don't think stretching curly hair to straight while measuring really helps for accuracy unless you plan to straighten. If I had very curly hair, I suppose I'd get one of those T shirts that are marked with inches on the back. Take photos with this when your hair is how it normally would be before you'd.. say, go out with friends, on a date ect. It should be easier to gauge the length of your hair how it sits on back naturally curled.

So pretty much stretch measuring using 3 reference points for full length.
And your resting length (curled) with a back marked T- shirt

As for the few longer pieces, I wouldn't include them myself. I'd say length was from the fullest point above the longer few strands. If someone was to stand 20 feet or so behind you ( depending on their eyesight of corse) they wouldn't really notice the length of the few longer strands, the length more noticeable would be the fullness above them.

lapushka
November 11th, 2016, 01:57 PM
I have had a lot of breakage, and I did just get a very small trim, so it's *possible* I gained a little. My hair breaks really easily, and I'm sure my henna treatments are rough on it.

I don't heat-style though. I wear it up most days, dry with a t-shirt, don't do any strenuous styles--I live in buns and braids, use sulfate and cone-free stuff, etc etc. In theory I'm doing everything right? I do think I made myself protein deficient over the summer/fall, since I'm in grad school and...kind of lived off toast for a while. And I wasn't as good about DT's as I should have been. So I'm trying to eat more protein and do protein treatments, and getting on a schedule for my deep conditioners.

I've also been measuring unstretched, which I think I need to change, because of above comments on curls. So if I can do that, and figure out why everything breaks if I basically sneeze on it, maybe I'll be on my way...I don't know. And perhaps my hair is just crappy and I have a ridiculously pathetic terminal length.

For how long? Are you eating healthily enough? Because that can wreak havoc on not only your entire system, but the first where it shows is hair + nails.

Katia_k
November 11th, 2016, 02:16 PM
For how long? Are you eating healthily enough? Because that can wreak havoc on not only your entire system, but the first where it shows is hair + nails.

I don't know, but I've just started fixing it over the last month or so. I'm also...pretty much constantly at least slightly stressed out, and I sleep like crap. So I don't provide an optimum environment for hair growth. But *maybe* parts of it are turning around...I'm not shedding quite as bad as I was over the summer, and things are getting softer and silkier. So perhaps I'll get a bit of growth this winter.

Annalouise
November 11th, 2016, 02:48 PM
I think that if you are not able to eat a healthy meal then at least take a multi vitamin mineral. If I don't take my multi's everyday then I can't sleep at night. And I'm not sure henna is good for the hair. My stylist, back when I used to have one, told me not to henna my hair it was bad for it. I know many people think it makes their hair stronger, but the fact is it still lifts the cuticle and deposits something under it.

Don't feel bad, I only grew 1.5 inches of length this year. Sometimes our hair stalls. But definitely take a hair vitamin or a multi vitamin. And drink lots of water. And of course, eat your veggies and protein.

Annalouise
November 11th, 2016, 02:58 PM
If your curl pattern changes from day to day, then as pointed out above, you can do it when it's wet for a more consistent look at the length, or right before you wash if it tends to be straighter from gravity and different styles between washes.

The problem of "are you 4'8" or 6'5"?" mostly only matters when it comes to comparing the styles you can do at a given length, which I fully agree is a problem. But, classic is going to look similar on both heights proportionally, which is the main draw of using body markers, and (for me, at least) measuring inches even just once a month got really stressful, I started to obsess whenever I'd get 1/3 instead of 1/2 inch and stuff, and it wasn't healthy for me, and I know I'm not the only one.

Anyway, it's an option for people who want to do it that way, and nobody should feel obligated to do one or the other, but it is handy to know how many inches of hair you have at each main body marker so that you can provide a reasonably accurate guess if/when you need to. If you can get help for a couple of minutes you can get all those measurements in one sweep and never have to bother with them again if you don't want to.

Well, the length also tells us the age of the hair. Older hair is more fragile then newer hair. That is what I was thinking, I was not thinking about styling the hair. I was thinking about how old the hairs are, and as a result, how fragile they would be depending on their age.

Just do the math. If you wash your hair 3 times a week, and 12 times a month that is 144 times a year. And if the hair is 6 years old, those ends have been washed 864 times!

So you can see that the length is important. Now think about a six foot tall person versus a person 4'8". You can do the math on age of the hair ends for classic length on both. The tall person's hair is much older than the short person's.

Everything is math when it comes down to it. :)

Katia_k
November 11th, 2016, 06:02 PM
I think that if you are not able to eat a healthy meal then at least take a multi vitamin mineral. If I don't take my multi's everyday then I can't sleep at night. And I'm not sure henna is good for the hair. My stylist, back when I used to have one, told me not to henna my hair it was bad for it. I know many people think it makes their hair stronger, but the fact is it still lifts the cuticle and deposits something under it.

Don't feel bad, I only grew 1.5 inches of length this year. Sometimes our hair stalls. But definitely take a hair vitamin or a multi vitamin. And drink lots of water. And of course, eat your veggies and protein.

All very good advice. :) Thanks. The henna's going to keep happening, because I love the color and, well, am pretty committed at this point unless I want to have roots forever. But I'm going to try to take steps to minimize the damage if I can. I do need to find a better vitamin, I think, so that's probably next on the list. I know I won't get "miracle growth" from any, but I could use the nutrients in general anyway. Eating habits are improving because my roommate has declared herself temporary housewife while she's looking for work, so she cooks us nice well-rounded meals, and I'm eating peanut butter sandwiches over the sink far less often.

Thanks for the help and encouragement, everybody; it's really appreciated. Me and my strands will get it sorted out eventually.