PDA

View Full Version : Cure my crispies

Strands
November 10th, 2016, 01:13 PM
The ends of my hair are crispy. Not terrible, but not great by any means. Just mostly from years of hair abuse. I would love to heal them up as much as possible, and post-pone any kind of trimming until I get to waist length. Any advice is appreciated, I just want them to soften up and look better. There is actually very little if no split ends in them, which is shocking IMO, but then again I have had a haircut in the last 4 months so yeah.

What can you all suggest? Should I oil the heck out of them? constantly leave-in condition? make a magic potion and dance facing east? lol jk. But for real this is a problem.

Strands
November 10th, 2016, 01:13 PM
FURTHER - I have more than 25 posts and still cannot access my profile. Wassup with that.

Nique1202
November 10th, 2016, 01:23 PM
Crispy ends are usually a sign of protein buildup for me. Have you clarified your hair recently?

(Sometimes it can take a little extra time after you hit 25 posts, BBS code is very very old.)

lapushka
November 10th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Maybe try and join the microtrimming thread. I fear some of it might have to come off. Then baby the *crap* out of your hair. And there's only some much ways to do that in. ;)

Anje
November 10th, 2016, 01:32 PM
For my ends, clarifying followed by a good soak in conditioner (maybe with honey mixed in) is usually just what's needed. Some folks will find that getting a bit of protein in there (maybe a sprinkle of gelatin or a protein conditioner) will help more, but that can vary a lot person to person.

Strands
November 10th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Crispy ends are usually a sign of protein buildup for me. Have you clarified your hair recently?

(Sometimes it can take a little extra time after you hit 25 posts, BBS code is very very old.)

Thank you for advice on the post thing. I will hang out!

As far as clarifying, how does one go about doing this? What products qualify? :) Sorry I am a neeewwwwwb

Strands
November 10th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Maybe try and join the microtrimming thread. I fear some of it might have to come off. Then baby the *crap* out of your hair. And there's only some much ways to do that in. ;)

oh noooooo :( I might try babying the crap out of it first to see if it won't improve, but considering your experience is far more worthy than mine, I fear you may be right.

Strands
November 10th, 2016, 01:38 PM
For my ends, clarifying followed by a good soak in conditioner (maybe with honey mixed in) is usually just what's needed. Some folks will find that getting a bit of protein in there (maybe a sprinkle of gelatin or a protein conditioner) will help more, but that can vary a lot person to person.

Aha - another recommendation for clarifying. I think I need to start there. so does any clarifying shampoo do it or are there shampoo sins I need to avoid?

lapushka
November 10th, 2016, 01:55 PM
oh noooooo :( I might try babying the crap out of it first to see if it won't improve, but considering your experience is far more worthy than mine, I fear you may be right.

Yes, by all means try the babying first! Better idea! ;) But if that does nothing, just tiny-trimming half of the growth off monthly or every few months might help.

Strands
November 10th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Yes, by all means try the babying first! Better idea! ;) But if that does nothing, just tiny-trimming half of the growth off monthly or every few months might help.

Gotcha loud and clear - I am right now treating my hair with coconut oil for the first time in my life. I nearly had a break-down doing it. Like "omfg I putting food in my hair what is wrong with me" LOL. But I did it, and now have my head air tight in a plastic bag letting the hair soak it up. I will see how this works, and try washing it with a clarifying shampoo, using the "CWC" method.

Sadly I only have Suave products at the moment, and I know those are not great, but it is all I got sooooooo yeah. I have also read on here that doing a shampoo RINSE is sometimes better for getting out coconut oil than typical shampooing... I am clearly experimenting lol.

lapushka
November 10th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Gotcha loud and clear - I am right now treating my hair with coconut oil for the first time in my life. I nearly had a break-down doing it. Like "omfg I putting food in my hair what is wrong with me" LOL. But I did it, and now have my head air tight in a plastic bag letting the hair soak it up. I will see how this works, and try washing it with a clarifying shampoo, using the "CWC" method.

Sadly I only have Suave products at the moment, and I know those are not great, but it is all I got sooooooo yeah. I have also read on here that doing a shampoo RINSE is sometimes better for getting out coconut oil than typical shampooing... I am clearly experimenting lol.

Give yourself some time for the experimental stages! If it first won't work, don't quite give up on a method or product. Give it some time, unless of course you have dramatic "I can't do this again" results. :)

Obsidian
November 10th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Suave products are actually pretty good, especially their daily clarifying shampoo. When you clarify, make sure to use plenty of shampoo down the whole length and gently rub the length and ends, if its build up causing the problem it needs help getting washed away.

If the suave doesn't seem to help, you might try herbal essence hello hydration conditioner. Its cheap and available at nearly any grocery store. Its the only conditioner I use any more.Lots of slip and very hydrating.

Strands
November 10th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Give yourself some time for the experimental stages! If it first won't work, don't quite give up on a method or product. Give it some time, unless of course you have dramatic "I can't do this again" results. :)

OMG YAAAAS. :joy:

I had the shine version, not clarifying, but I went for it using the CWC method, and then when I got out, patted dry so carefully and soaked it in leave in conditioner with argan oil in it, then covered my head an hour to let it soak up while it was drying...

my hair is so freaking soft. I think it was the coconut oil. My hair has NEVER felt this soft. EVER. I am a little worried because it seems a little more kinky, maybe because it is moisturized properly? So once it is dry I plan on putting in a little argan oil just to help it stay calm. No need for spastic hair.

But I am so surprised. I have never pre-pooed before but I am now on. DANG.

I meant I used the CWC method, but I can't edit my post to show that so yeah.

Suave products are actually pretty good, especially their daily clarifying shampoo. When you clarify, make sure to use plenty of shampoo down the whole length and gently rub the length and ends, if its build up causing the problem it needs help getting washed away.

If the suave doesn't seem to help, you might try herbal essence hello hydration conditioner. Its cheap and available at nearly any grocery store. Its the only conditioner I use any more.Lots of slip and very hydrating.

I had the SHINE one, not clarifying suave, but it worked okay. I have certainly used better products and need to get some haha. I LOVE HE products. I am just out currently.

How do you feel about HH vs LTR? I hear on both sides so a critical opinion would be great if you have one!

Obsidian
November 10th, 2016, 06:39 PM
I can't use LTR due to the protein in it but the few times I tried it, it didn't have as much slip as the HH. I do like tousle me softly and I want to try the rose scented one if I can find it.

Strands
November 10th, 2016, 08:07 PM
I can't use LTR due to the protein in it but the few times I tried it, it didn't have as much slip as the HH. I do like tousle me softly and I want to try the rose scented one if I can find it.

Seeing as I might have just had a protein problem, I think I will steer clear of LTR and try HH first, and if I love it stick to it. I just need to get rid of this suave first... I don't like it. :poop:

Flipgirl24
November 10th, 2016, 10:36 PM
Sorry this is off topic and no offense meant but can we please not use expressions like "omfg". I know it's an acronym but the meaning is pretty drastic to say the least. I'm not religious by any means but why do we have to include the f word? I'm not a prude but let's keep it clean please.

IsisMoon
November 11th, 2016, 01:51 AM
Seeing as I might have just had a protein problem, I think I will steer clear of LTR and try HH first, and if I love it stick to it. I just need to get rid of this suave first... I don't like it. :poop:

Yup, just try a few other things. Same thing happens to my ends if I use the unsuitable conditioner. But if I use the right one, everything goes back to normal.

Arctic
November 11th, 2016, 05:46 AM
^^ Oh my forlorn goodness?

Obsidian
November 11th, 2016, 05:52 AM
I don't care much for suave conditioner either, no way I would use a whole bottle. Luckily my hubby can use just about anything, he gets all my rejects.

Strands
November 11th, 2016, 07:26 AM
I don't care much for suave conditioner either, no way I would use a whole bottle. Luckily my hubby can use just about anything, he gets all my rejects.

haha nice - the suave is actually for him. I just ran out of my HE and haven't been in the mood to go shopping. I have a TAD BIT of social anxiety IRL. :couch:

Yup, just try a few other things. Same thing happens to my ends if I use the unsuitable conditioner. But if I use the right one, everything goes back to normal.

Yeah. I am trying to get a routine set before December and that will be my first official month in the LHC. Now I just need access to my profile *GOSH* it is taking forever...

lapushka
November 11th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Yeah. I am trying to get a routine set before December and that will be my first official month in the LHC. Now I just need access to my profile *GOSH* it is taking forever...

Try and contact a mod or use the site support section. ;)

Chromis
November 11th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Here is info on the permissions: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68520 and here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=114999

Please note, posts in the "Hi, I'm new!" section, the games section, test board, and swap board do not count towards your total and posts must be quality posts. I haven't glanced at yours, but those are pretty common reasons aside from any forum hiccups!

truepeacenik
November 11th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Another bit that would help, is to give your current length by measurement or landmark.
Crispy ends on shoulder length hair will likely have a different set of "try first" options than waist length or longer.

My ends never got crunchy until mid back. But I haven't used heat on my hair since 1987. And only one chemical treatment since then. So I knew this was mechanical abrasion and abuse. Or did until I found LHC and learns more about ingredients in shampoos and conditioners.

Strands
November 11th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Try and contact a mod or use the site support section. ;)

You rule. I am on this!

Here is info on the permissions: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68520 and here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=114999

Please note, posts in the "Hi, I'm new!" section, the games section, test board, and swap board do not count towards your total and posts must be quality posts. I haven't glanced at yours, but those are pretty common reasons aside from any forum hiccups!

Good to know. I guess I will just keep participating as I am for now, hmmm

Anothe bit that would help, is to give your current length by measurement or landmark.
Crispy ends on shoulder length hair will likely have a different set of "try first" options than waist length or longer.

My ends never got crunchy until mid back. But I haven't used heat on my hair since 1987. And only one chemical treatment since then. So I knew this was mechanical abrasion and abuse. Or did until I found LHC and learns more about ingredients in shampoos and conditioners.

currently my length is BSL, and now I am aiming for mid-back, or waist. I have a very long waist, so honestly mid back will be very close to waist for me lol. But yes, my ends just started feeling crispier in the last few weeks, and it is totally because I abused my hair so badly. Finding this community has been so refreshing and has probably saved me a lot of heart-ache and prevented me from just going short. Which is something I NEVER want to do.

I think I need to commit to quitting heat. I used to straighten my hair a lot, but I know it is bad for it now. It is just kinda hard because now I will have to learn how to manage my own hair. I should have just done that in the first place.

lapushka
November 11th, 2016, 10:20 AM
I think I need to commit to quitting heat. I used to straighten my hair a lot, but I know it is bad for it now. It is just kinda hard because now I will have to learn how to manage my own hair. I should have just done that in the first place.

Did you try and S&D your hair yet, S&D stands for "search & destroy". You go through your ends one by one and inspect them. How many white dots do you have (heat damage). They may be higher up the strand than you expect. If it's half your hair, then trims rather than snipping off individual hairs is better.

Strands
November 11th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Did you try and S&D your hair yet, S&D stands for "search & destroy". You go through your ends one by one and inspect them. How many white dots do you have (heat damage). They may be higher up the strand than you expect. If it's half your hair, then trims rather than snipping off individual hairs is better.

I have not done this yet - this sounds like a project for a night this weekend... hmmm.

lapushka
November 11th, 2016, 12:29 PM
I have not done this yet - this sounds like a project for a night this weekend... hmmm.

Get some sharp scissors and good lightening and you're set. If the damage isn't that bad, and it's just a few strands here and there S&D is *fine*, but if it's a lot, you run the risk of thinning out your hair, so much better to trim (in small increments) and spare yourself the hassle in that case.

Strands
November 11th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Get some sharp scissors and good lightening and you're set. If the damage isn't that bad, and it's just a few strands here and there S&D is *fine*, but if it's a lot, you run the risk of thinning out your hair, so much better to trim (in small increments) and spare yourself the hassle in that case.

I did a sample S&D of a very small area and found 2, probably a 1" square area. I think I will be fine to do the whole head like this, but I need to do it when my husband is not hear because he is a little irritated by my recent hair obsession. Party pooper he is. Anyway, how often do you do this? I am trying to get an idea because I have never thought to do this myself before and am curious how others approach it. I do have some great scissors to use, and they are now hair scissors only btw.

Hair_n_Hawaii
November 11th, 2016, 09:55 PM
My hair gets very stiff hard and crispy from too much protein. A good coconut oil pre-shampoo/overnight pack makes my hair ends soft again. My latest favorite oil treatment is one from India 'Vatika Enriched Coconut Hair Oil' . It has seven herbs in the coconut oil base and some henna and Alma extract. It doesn't color your hair but the henna and Alma work to treat your scalp. It's very reasonably priced on Amazon.

Anya15
November 11th, 2016, 11:35 PM
My hair gets very stiff hard and crispy from too much protein. A good coconut oil pre-shampoo/overnight pack makes my hair ends soft again. My latest favorite oil treatment is one from India 'Vatika Enriched Coconut Hair Oil' . It has seven herbs in the coconut oil base and some henna and Alma extract. It doesn't color your hair but the henna and Alma work to treat your scalp. It's very reasonably priced on Amazon.

I can swear by this, I love Vatika hair oil! Used it for years . I don't have a bottle with me now though, I'm just using pure coconut oil at the moment.
But yes I find that a good coconut oil pre-poo leaves my hair feeling great :D

lapushka
November 12th, 2016, 04:54 AM
I did a sample S&D of a very small area and found 2, probably a 1" square area. I think I will be fine to do the whole head like this, but I need to do it when my husband is not hear because he is a little irritated by my recent hair obsession. Party pooper he is. Anyway, how often do you do this? I am trying to get an idea because I have never thought to do this myself before and am curious how others approach it. I do have some great scissors to use, and they are now hair scissors only btw.

When my hair was damaged, my mom did it in one go, after which my hair was half its thickness, that's how damaged my hair was. It had to be cut from hip to BSL after that. Yeah. Severe heat & perm damage (permed twice).

I'd recommend once or twice a month. That way you can (if you need to) trim in the mean time to get damage out. And slowly progress without changing your hemline (thinning it out etc.).

truepeacenik
November 12th, 2016, 10:33 AM
currently my length is BSL, and now I am aiming for mid-back, or waist. I have a very long waist, so honestly mid back will be very close to waist for me lol. But yes, my ends just started feeling crispier in the last few weeks, and it is totally because I abused my hair so badly. Finding this community has been so refreshing and has probably saved me a lot of heart-ache and prevented me from just going short. Which is something I NEVER want to do.

Learning is what you are doing now! All good things an all good time.
I started with olive oil. At first I slopped it all over, but eventually discovered that the dry feeling area and just a touch higher was fine. 30 min to overnight, as a pre shampoo treatment, and I rarely bother with wrapping it up anymore. If I had a great shower cap, I'd use that. But my cap is loose enough that the hair flops out. So I just bun it now.

Strands
November 14th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Learning is what you are doing now! All good things an all good time.
I started with olive oil. At first I slopped it all over, but eventually discovered that the dry feeling area and just a touch higher was fine. 30 min to overnight, as a pre shampoo treatment, and I rarely bother with wrapping it up anymore. If I had a great shower cap, I'd use that. But my cap is loose enough that the hair flops out. So I just bun it now.

I put a LITTLE oil in my hair everyday before I bun it. I only wash once a week... Is this a bad idea? :/ Could the oil go bad in my hair? I use a very small amount, just to tame the ends and hydrate them...

When my hair was damaged, my mom did it in one go, after which my hair was half its thickness, that's how damaged my hair was. It had to be cut from hip to BSL after that. Yeah. Severe heat & perm damage (permed twice).

I'd recommend once or twice a month. That way you can (if you need to) trim in the mean time to get damage out. And slowly progress without changing your hemline (thinning it out etc.).

Okay, I will try to do this about once a month. Thank you for your advice, and I am so sorry your hair was so damaged. :( My hair was super bad when I was younger too, but now I know it is the fault of the stylists, my mom, and everyone who did not give me decent advice.

I am glad that I found this community. My hair is already LOADS healthier than it was a week ago. It is amazing.

Shiranshoku
November 17th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Don't worry about the oil going rancid, most oils have a room temp shelf life of months to years, so a few days in your hair won't do any harm!

lapushka
November 17th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Okay, I will try to do this about once a month. Thank you for your advice, and I am so sorry your hair was so damaged. :( My hair was super bad when I was younger too, but now I know it is the fault of the stylists, my mom, and everyone who did not give me decent advice.

I am glad that I found this community. My hair is already LOADS healthier than it was a week ago. It is amazing.

Thanks! :)

I wouldn't worry about the oil either, except when it's coconut oil (might go solid), unless it's fractionated (always liquid).

diewassermelone
November 17th, 2016, 03:02 PM
I put a LITTLE oil in my hair everyday before I bun it. I only wash once a week... Is this a bad idea? :/ Could the oil go bad in my hair? I use a very small amount, just to tame the ends and hydrate them...

Depending on where you live, beware it freezing in your hair...made that mistake once; thought I had washed all the coconut oil out only to go outside and realize that no, it was not all out. And now my hair was crunchy. You think I would have learned, but I also made this mistake with leave in conditioner.