PDA

View Full Version : past, present and future hair goals

grecianmermaid
November 9th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Hi everyone!,

There has probably already been a thread about this, but I thought it would be fun and uplifting to discuss our past, present and future hair goals! I find that when my hair doesn't grow as fast as I would like, I feel quite discouraged and sometimes want to cut my hair to a pixie! but I wanted to make this thread to encourage hair growers to see other peoples past present and future goals to keep them motivated!

So i'll begin...

Past Goal - I started my hair journey a year ago (sept '15) at just above bra strap length. My initial goal was an unachievable hip length by summer 2016 so I became more realistic and decided mid length (which is what I am now) was my goal.

Present Goal - I am 1 inch - 1 inch and a half away from waist, so I would like to achieve that asap! I am also 3-4 inches away from hip length, so would love to have that length by summer '17!

Future Goal - If I am ever lucky enough, I would LOVE to have classic or tailbone length hair! that is my ultimate dream!

LaísB
November 9th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Hi! I have always been a mind-changer with my hair. After growing it out to a little past BSL this year I cut it off last month to CBL and now I am almost at APL (0.5" away fro it when streched and almost 2" away when loose and dry).

Past Goal- when I started I was at solid CBL and all I wanted was my BSL hair back.
Present Goal- I am very close to APL when streched and I think I can be there when strched/straight/wet by new years eve.
Future Goal- At first I wanted BSL hair but now I want to get to mid-back maybe waist lenght.

Cg
November 9th, 2016, 02:20 PM
My goals are the same since joining LHC: healthy hair, blunt hemline, and as long as it will grow under those first two non-negotiable constraints.

I do like the current length between waist and hip. It's long enough for decent looking buns (my thin hair made pretty paltry buns earlier) but short enough to manage easily.

Hay_jules
November 9th, 2016, 05:13 PM
I just chopped my nearly APL hair to my shoulders because of damage. It's *just* CBL now. I usually don't get too down about slow growth because I've had to start from scratch before when I lost my hair in chemo. I always just have the mindset of I've grown it before I can do it again. I've never tried to grow past mid back though, my hair is fine and not much volume. The only reason I'm currently a ii instead of a i is because of bleach.

Past goal: I wanted BSL before I cut it
Present goal: APL which is 5" away...so I'm looking at next September...gee that's daunting
Future goal: BSL originally but I've decided I want at least MBL. And as long as it doesn't look too thin and sad I may carry on to waist.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 9th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Past goal: BSL
Present goal: Waist
Future goal: Hip, if its ever possible.

matentur
November 9th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Past: started from a buzz cut and just wanted to give long hair a try. My initial goal was to get it all past shoulder length plus a ponytail/manbun.

Present: Haven't had a trim since I started growing so I still have all my layers, but the longest ones probably can make it to BSL by the end of the year.

Future: I think I might try for waist length hair after being inspired by people on here. It just looks awesome, though I have a feeling I will want to maintain a shorter length long term. Also want to even up my ends some, but probably won't pull the trigger until I get to waist.

Seratopia
November 9th, 2016, 06:15 PM
Past - Wanted to have healither hair for starters and reach BSL (done before but with unhealthy hair)

Present - Maintain healthy hair, keep splits at bay (Difficult as my hair is fine and is more prone to damage I think), and reach Waist length

Future - Grow out these annoying layers by now, have some updos mastered, have a solid hemline, and healthy hair. Maybe to hip?

I dont mind the hair journey, if you are someone like me who struggles with styling, then you get plenty of practice with your current hair length before you "unlock" more options as you grow. :)

Katia_k
November 9th, 2016, 09:40 PM
I have the slowest hair ever, so I'm still shooting for the first goal I started with when I joined LHC, which is waist. Being around here and drinking the kool-ade has made me eventually want to shoot for hip or tailbone though. Long enough to be striking, not so long that it's impossible not to sit on.

....given that I've gotten almost nowhere in 9 months, the first goal of waist might be an eternal journey.

Dessi
November 9th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Past: I wanted to reach Tail bone length, which I thought was the same as BCL, so let's say BCL
Present goal: Reaching Thigh length (I'd need another 2 inaches I think)
Future goal: Having thick ends and blunt hemline at Thigh length, which will take a lot of time I believe

Llama
November 10th, 2016, 12:42 AM
Past goal- When I first joined LHC, BSL was my goal.
Present goal- Hip length (just checked and I am 1.5 inches away)
Future goal- I think I'll stop once I'm well into hip length, if that length is even in the cards for me :)

Arctic
November 10th, 2016, 03:08 AM
Hi! I have always been a mind-changer with my hair. After growing it out to a little past BSL this year I cut it off last month to CBL and now I am almost at APL (0.5" away fro it when streched and almost 2" away when loose and dry). <snip>

Another super-charged grower there! In one month from collar bone to almost apl? Wow! You'll be ticking off those milestones very fast if this continues, Laís!

My goals are the same since joining LHC: healthy hair, blunt hemline, and as long as it will grow under those first two non-negotiable constraints. <snip>

Those are good goals!

<snip> I dont mind the hair journey, if you are someone like me who struggles with styling, then you get plenty of practice with your current hair length before you "unlock" more options as you grow. :)

I love the game analogy!

I have the slowest hair ever, <snip>
....given that I've gotten almost nowhere in 9 months, the first goal of waist might be an eternal journey.

Aww don't dispair! Yes there are those few folks who seem to grow miles per year, but for the rest of us, hair simply just grows very slow even when the speed is in the avarage range. 9 months is very short time in the hair realm, and with your curls, even though your hair would grow like clockwork it will take time to be visible. It grows out and in denseness first, then down.

As for me, my...

past goal when I joined was about BSL hair. The goal quickly grew - in typical LHC influenced fashion - to waist then to hip. But for many reasons the goal a bit later started to grow shorter again.

Current goal is to grown back my lost thickness/denseness after hair loss. At this point I don't have length goals, other than that I want my hemline always to look full and that my length does not make my hair loss situation visually worse.

Future goal is, if I manage to revert at least some of the hair loss, is to grow the new regrowth out. I might try for BSL again but I might not. I am not someone who dreams of very long hair.

Monsterkitti
November 10th, 2016, 03:52 AM
Past goal When I first joined I wanted waist length after starting somewhere around APL I think

Current goal To hit solid waist and stay there till its looking healthy, I grow out the damage and hopefully keep a blunt hemline.

Future goal I change my mind about this a lot but for the minute I'd be so happy if I can reach TBL in the future.

Anya15
November 10th, 2016, 04:37 AM
Past goal: Growing to waist length, which I achieved.

Present goal: Growing to classic, and getting rid of my layers.

Future goal: Terminal, wherever that is :)

HairPlease
November 10th, 2016, 06:42 AM
Past goal: Long bleached blonde hair (somewhere past hip).

Present goal: Growing out the bleach and going virgin.

Future goal: Long un-bleached hair (somewhere past hip). :lol:

As you can see not much has changed... except realizing that long hair and bleach was going to be too much of a pain in the bum.

lulikrueger
November 10th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Past goal: all my life I wanted thick, faitytale-like thigh length hair, but then I realised my oh so thin hair would never allow me to look like a greek nymph.
Present goal: hip length is nearer and nearer, but I would like to be at hip with all virgin healthy hair. I'm currently growing out an undercut, bangs and some layers from when I had a bob.
Future goal: I'm considering classic length, but tailbone is also fine.

DweamGoiL
November 10th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Past Goal - Fix demarcation line from years of box dye and grow to WL

Present Goal - Figure out whether I like HL or WL more. I am currently at HL and sometimes I feel it is too long to practically wear down on a routine basis. I will eventually cut back a few inches to find a sweet spot between the 2

Future Goal - Maintain thickness and I would like to keep long hair into my golden years

Strands
November 10th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Mine are a little naughty.

Past: I used to hate my hair. My goal was not length, but abuse. I would use all kinds of bad chemicals, overwash, heat, and let it get badly tangled, ETC. I just wanted straight hair and did not know what to do.

Present: once I found this site and started changing the way I view my hair, I decided that I like it and just want it longer. I am 27.5 inches now, and want to be 30 inches by March 2017. That might be too ambitious, but it is a goal to aim for. :)

Future: my current dream is 36" hair.

Katia_k
November 10th, 2016, 11:12 PM
Another super-charged grower there! In one month from collar bone to almost apl? Wow! You'll be ticking off those milestones very fast if this continues, Laís!

Aww don't dispair! Yes there are those few folks who seem to grow miles per year, but for the rest of us, hair simply just grows very slow even when the speed is in the avarage range. 9 months is very short time in the hair realm, and with your curls, even though your hair would grow like clockwork it will take time to be visible. It grows out and in denseness first, then down.

Thanks for this. I just measured last night for the first time since September, and had made 0 progress, and was super, super sad. This helps. <3

Zebra Fish
November 11th, 2016, 02:26 AM
Past - was bsl-ish with some damage (dryness) and a very deep V cut (I asked for a very slight U, almost blunt -.-); wanted to reach mbl

Present - bsl/mbl (not sure), after cutting 35cm in a year, sth of a better hemline but still thinner, would be happy with a nice hemline at wl, if possible hip (the difference on me is not big)

Future - tbl would be dream hair (started wanting that quite soon after joining here, actually lurking), but would be very happy on nice hip length (not sure even if hip is reachable for my hair)

Arctic
November 11th, 2016, 02:38 AM
Thanks for this. I just measured last night for the first time since September, and had made 0 progress, and was super, super sad. This helps. <3

Hair does that sometimes, for many people it's the only way their hair grows, in leaps and bounds. But when all the growth will be calculated for a year it will be the avarage - so maybe your follicles are planning to surprise you with an unexpected spurt soon! My own hair usually is the clock work type, 1 cm per month, but this year I had a growth spurt in the spring and then somewhat a stall in the summer. Now it's started to grow again more evenly.

Trust you hair, it'll grow and it will be (and already is!) awesome!

lithostoic
November 11th, 2016, 02:53 AM
Past Goal: Hip, but the longest I've ever been was waist so I changed it bc I knew I could reach it. I just wanted to initially focus on getting back to my longest length.

Present Goal Waist, and virgin waist at that. However I'm a few inches from waist now and think with some maintenance first, I might try hip. Which brings me to ...

Future Goal Right now my goal is waist and considering hip later on. I also really like the look of tailbone length hair so maybe!

Temme
November 11th, 2016, 02:56 AM
Past: When I joined here I was BSL, crawling down to waist.

Present: I decided to cut back to APL around June, which I think was good for damage, but now I'm trying to reclaim by BSL hair. :heartbeat

Future: If I can't get to at least classic eventually, I'm going to be kind of upset. LHC changes you... :D

Hypothesis
November 11th, 2016, 05:16 AM
Past Goal: My past goal when I first began was pretty vague. I just knew I wanted long hair from a chin length haircut. My head space at the time was "how long can I go before I just cut all of it back to a pixie?"

Present Goal: Now that I've joined the LHC I've finally grown my hair to BSL and my current goal is to get my hair to Waist Length!

Future Goal: My future goal is to get my hair to Hip Length and maintain it there until my hair is all one length. This will probably take forever as I'm currently growing out a fringe.

OhSuzi
November 11th, 2016, 05:43 AM
Present Hair Goal - Grow from Pixie to shoulder length currently about my ears / chin.

Future: Grow it long - I guess to waist ultimately, then to dye the ends green, then chop it to a sharp extreme boob length lob, the grow it again, then maybe consider bleach and a massive perm then grow it all out again maybe just as long as will go - If I live long enough to get through all that - hopefully Ive got at least 40 odd years left in me yet, so it should be achiveable - mind you I might change my mind before then.

school of fish
November 11th, 2016, 06:16 AM
Past Goal: learn my hair so I could stop the damage cycle. I started wth hair that was weakened to the point where breakage was outrunning my growth, and in my case the reasons weren't the big obvious ones. My weakened strands were the result of longtime accumulation of several mildly damaging practices. My hair could likely have stood any one of them on its own, but combined together they created a big problem. It took a while for me to sort out each individual culprit - I knew it would take time and it did, but I felt I had accomplished something once I'd reached the 'get in front of the damage' goal and had found my ideal routine. This should hopefully mean I won't find myself in that damage cycle again.

Present Goal: reach goal length, with blunt hemline. I've achieved it lengthwise - I'm at TBL with a reasonably satisfactory hemline (satisfactory by the standards I hold for my own hair ;) ). Now I'm maintaining that length while waiting for my old layers and previously broken lengths to catch up to the hem (the shortest of those bits are in the MBL range). The blunter my ends are, the more protective they are for each other, and the better my hair behaves as a whole, so my current goal is to get those layers to meet the hemline.

Future Goal: not let the damage take hold again, and enjoy the fruits of my labour. I don't really have any other goals than to keep it healthy, maintain it in the hip-tailbone range, and to enjoy it. I've been enjoying my hair throughout my whole rehab process, but I'm really looking forward to the day I cut out my last layer at my hemline... :D

Hairkay
November 11th, 2016, 06:56 AM
I joined LHC with BSL stretched hair. I aimed for MBL stretched.

I'm currently at waist stretched. I'm thinking of either maintaining this or going for hip stretched.

Doom
November 11th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Past goal: armpit length, that I reached last April, then I got a layered emo cut to see what it looked like on me, and now I'm down to armpit length again.

Current goal: past armpit length, no layers, blunt hemline.

Future goal: to see how long my hair can grow. It would be cool if I made it to (or past) classic length.

Zesty
November 11th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Past: When I first joined the LHC so many moons ago I wanted to get to waist and learn updos. Achievement was unlocked within a year.

Present: I'm looking forward to tailbone and I'm trying to remember to oil my hair before washing, it makes such a big difference.

Future: I'd like to reach classic at least once. Of late I've been wearing my hair down most of the time, so I may need to adjust back to tailbone for practicality's sake, but just to say I've been there...

poli
November 11th, 2016, 11:43 AM
past: I wanted long (read: APL) and blond (read: bleach) hair

present: grow a little longer (than current BSL), while trimming regularly and getting rid of the layers

future: see if I can get past waist with blunt hemline (... assuming I will like hair that's that long, because I never tried to grow it)

vampyyri
November 11th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Past: Brunette hair, since I hated being a blonde for some reason... :confused:
Present: Keep growing out my natural color and not succumb to the temptation of henna.
Future: Reach CL and re-assess from there.

see_turtle
November 11th, 2016, 07:41 PM
Past: waist...started at shoulder.

Present: past 37"

Future: classic with a thick hem.

Ellethwyn
November 11th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Past goal: tailbone

present: classic

future: thigh, possibly mid thigh

Goddessa
November 11th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Past: Have a super unique cut/color, or both!

Present: Barely touching APL, goal is to learn more hairstyles

Future: Ultimately end up around waist or hip. May cut again after that. We'll see.

hanne jensen
November 12th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Past: Terminal length, growing as fast as possible

Present: A little beyond waist and not quite hip.Not very good condition.

Future: Terminal length but in as good condition as possible for my hair. I'm more interested in the condition than length of my hair.

Mimha
November 12th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Past : I had no specific goal. I knew nothing about hair and did not know there were special lengths and people "growing" their hair like we would grow vegetables. For me, hair grew by itself and there was nothing to be done about it, except cut it. Every girl in my family had beautiful long to very long hair, and so I had. I had it short a few times though, and found out it was too bothering and expensive for me to style it constantly and every time I would let it grow again. It never was a real concern in my life until I started shedding like crazy around 45 and understood I was undergoing a serious health problem.

It took me years to get out of the ditch, and one day I realized my hair was growing back again thicker and shinier than ever (thanks to my food intolerances and severe deficiences due to a bad yeast problem having finally been diagnosed !!). So I started browsing hair stuff on internet and discovered LHC. I had always been curious to know about terminal length and human being hair potential, but I had never been patient enough to let my hair grow beyond classic length.

Present : I don't want to grow my hair in order to "achive something". At 50+ years old, if I want to achieve something, it is to keep my health as good as possible, and so my hair. There are enough reasons to be under pressure in life without hair to be one. So I prefer to let it grow as long at it pleases me. I like the step-by-step way : one goal after another. Next goal it TBL, or as long as my thickness looks satisfactory to me (hoping I don't undergo another severe hairloss episode), and as long as my ends are healthy looking. I like beautiful healthy fairytaled ends but I'm not a fan of the "old rug fringe" kind of stuff, lol.

Future : Well... I will see ! :D If Moody Mane doesn't bother me too much and still looks good at TBL, I may push further. Fingertips sounds like a really awesome length to grow to. :cloud9: But on me, it means mid-thigh (long arms^^) which is quite long for my ii/8.5cm hair. So let's wait and see !!!... :popcorn:

missmelaniem
November 12th, 2016, 09:09 AM
My past: not wanting to give up color or other chemicals for healthier hair. I was stuck at BSL for so many years because I couldnt give up the color and heat. I was told many times from LHCers that I would do better if I gave up the "blowfrying" but I didnt.

My present: Gave up dye, most heat (I love to flatiron, but I want an alternative... I really need to just quit), and all hairshaft-altering chemicals. I chopped to pixie to get rid of as much of the dye as I could, and now I am growing and am at APL. My hair is so much healthier, which is part of the reason I'm so excited about a no-trim challenge. I'm pretty sure my hair will weather it pretty well.

My future: My goal was waist length, but I think I am going to try for hip length. I should meet my "waist" goal by the end of next year, but I will probably want to trim :)

Mrstran
November 12th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Past- bleached hair, brown hair, bleached hair, Purple hair!

Present- APL withought further damage

Future- Hip length healthy and all natural ( Bleach cut off once and for all!) :happydance:

alittleprincess
November 12th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Past goal: Hip. After achieving hip, the hairs from APL to the end were suffering from past damage. I tried micro trimming and maintaining so I wouldn't lose the length, but after a year I started dreaming of one last short-haired hurrah. I ended up chopping to chin.

Present goal: At APLish now. My current goal is to have longer than waist length hair for my summer 2018 wedding :) I'm not sure if this is possible, but worth a try!

Future goal: I'm trying not to have a goal length this time around. I'm going to try to listen to my hair needs and grow as long as possible without compromising hair health/thickness. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to be at hip or tailbone some day!!