PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner and scalp issues

Andthetalltrees
November 9th, 2016, 06:45 AM
This has probably been discussed before, However it's something I've noticed lately. I use to think I just had an itchy, flaky scalp, Which might also be true but it's definitely worsened by conditioner. Anywhere where the conditioner touches I get a a irritated sore, itchy, flaky spot the next day. Even if I try to avoid putting any conditioner on my scalp somehow it still ends up there and i get an annoying spot again(I know this because when I've tried only washing with shampoo and it doesn't happen)
Does anyone else experienced this and how do you deal with it? I like the way conditioner makes my length feel but if it causes my scalp to hurt it's not worth it :(. Are there any alternatives?

Anje
November 9th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Likely, you've got seborrheic dermatitis (SD). It's really common and frequently aggrevated by anything that makes the scalp oilier. Stronger shampoos and medicated shampoos help a lot, but for the conditioner, you're probably best off just conditioning below ear or scalp level. That'll get easier as your hair gets longer, too. If you need conditioner higher on your hair shafts, my first thought is that it might be worth washing your hair upside-down, so you can get it on the canopy relatively close to your scalp, without smearing it on.

lapushka
November 9th, 2016, 02:00 PM
I have SD and Anje is right. Stop putting conditioner on your scalp. Also, never use oils there either! I have to use a harsh sulfate shampoo to strip away all oils effectively, and that is what keeps it mostly at bay. If however, you already have itching (flare-up), then you need medicated shampoo. I recommend you go see a doctor as the shampoo (the right strength) is prescription only in the US.