PDA

View Full Version : To cut, or not to cut? That is the question.

LongDreams
November 8th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Hello everyone. I hope you all are having a good day. :)

I am posing this cutting question because up until now I've done microtrims and S&D on my ends so far, but looking at my ends now I don't think it's working out as well. I don't have overly long hair at all currently, as I'm growing it all out from a mohawk and the sidecuts and it's still not even yet, not to mention I dyed my ends several months back (just the ends, it was a home job) and I think it's those parts that are fairing the worst. I'll include pics of it all plus the damage.

My big question is, should I just cut my losses here? It'll be about 5" to 6", about half my hair length. My biggest fear is the split ends are getting worse and travelling. My ends get tangled really badly even when gently using my wooden comb.

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/VultureWolf/Mobile%20Uploads/20161108_110922_zpsk23rgir6.jpg
http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/VultureWolf/Mobile%20Uploads/20161108_110848_zpsbsorkc6u.jpg

The majorly split/damaged length. It's long than it looks in the picture, my ends like to curl.

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/VultureWolf/Mobile%20Uploads/20161108_111058_zpsmoredpns.jpg

One side of my undercut that has grown out, I have this on both sides of my head. I think this is 5 1/2 months worth of growth.

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv325/VultureWolf/Mobile%20Uploads/20161108_110632_zpsnjzc9we9.jpg

And finally the damaged/faded dyed ends.

Thoughts from you all?
Please and thank you. :)

lapushka
November 8th, 2016, 09:44 AM
The ends don't look too too bad that you can't S&D and keep growing. Just MMHO!

Annalouise
November 8th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Hi there.:) That is a tough call. You can trim a little (remove the split ends) or you can remove a couple inches to try and even it up. It really depends on how you want your hair to look as you're growing it out. The two different lengths would drive someone like me crazy. But I would hate for you to loose all the length you have gained because you're working hard to grow it out.
I think you have to decide for yourself what makes you happiest. You do have some damaged ends. So I would say definitely you need a trim. But how much is up to you.

truepeacenik
November 8th, 2016, 10:04 AM
If the differing lengths aren't the big issue, you could maintain and let the newer growth catch up.
Microtrims or one small trim could hold your current ends, too.
Try a clarifying shampoo followed by some deep conditioning.
Fine tangly ends are probably why silicones are popular. A spray into your hands smoothed onto the problem area could get you by for a while.

What is your two year goal/hope?

Will you continue to color? (From what I gather the damage issue is more bleaching to lay on color)
Could you just do something funky and play with it until your shorter hair is somewhere you can live with?
In your shoes, I'd likely do some crazy color and enjoy it for a while, knowing it will get cut later.

lora410
November 8th, 2016, 11:57 AM
When I grew out my chin length bob (it was stacked in back) and ironically as it grew, It evened out..I havent trimmed it either.It literally is 2yrs straight growth. So in saying that, I would just do small trims to get splits off and keep on truckin :)

LongDreams
November 8th, 2016, 02:13 PM
I'm at the point I'm debating on the difference in length. I've had a mohawk for two years so you get used to odd hair lengths but now I don't like how it looks when I have to put it up and fasten the sides with 4 Bobbypins minimum.

I have an Organix coconut oil sprau that I'll use on my ends for now. Thanks for the tip. :)

My two year goal/hope is I'd like to have it all one length and be at APL or BSL depending on the growth rate.

Oh no no. Lol I'm done with coloring, unless it's a natural henna color, I don't want to cause more damage like I have in the past. I've bleached and cut, went black and color stripped, and I've grown out and cut all that out since then. My ends are the last remaining treated parts.

LongDreams
November 8th, 2016, 02:14 PM
If the differing lengths aren't the big issue, you could maintain and let the newer growth catch up.
Microtrims or one small trim could hold your current ends, too.
Try a clarifying shampoo followed by some deep conditioning.
Fine tangly ends are probably why silicones are popular. A spray into your hands smoothed onto the problem area could get you by for a while.

What is your two year goal/hope?

Will you continue to color? (From what I gather the damage issue is more bleaching to lay on color)
Could you just do something funky and play with it until your shorter hair is somewhere you can live with?
In your shoes, I'd likely do some crazy color and enjoy it for a while, knowing it will get cut later.

I'm at the point I'm debating on the difference in length. I've had a mohawk for two years so you get used to odd hair lengths but now I don't like how it looks when I have to put it up and fasten the sides with 4 Bobbypins minimum.

I have an Organix coconut oil sprau that I'll use on my ends for now. Thanks for the tip. :)

My two year goal/hope is I'd like to have it all one length and be at APL or BSL depending on the growth rate.

Oh no no. Lol I'm done with coloring, unless it's a natural henna color, I don't want to cause more damage like I have in the past. I've bleached and cut, went black and color stripped, and I've grown out and cut all that out since then. My ends are the last remaining treated parts.

LongDreams
November 8th, 2016, 02:17 PM
When I grew out my chin length bob (it was stacked in back) and ironically as it grew, It evened out..I havent trimmed it either.It literally is 2yrs straight growth. So in saying that, I would just do small trims to get splits off and keep on truckin :)

I trimmed off an inch and a half today, so I think for now I'll leave it alone and keep trimming till it all catches up to one length.

You're very lucky yours evened out! Two years of growth wow. I think it's just hard for me not to do something change-wise to my hair. Lol I'm so used to doing something every year or so.

LongDreams
November 8th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Hi there.:) That is a tough call. You can trim a little (remove the split ends) or you can remove a couple inches to try and even it up. It really depends on how you want your hair to look as you're growing it out. The two different lengths would drive someone like me crazy. But I would hate for you to loose all the length you have gained because you're working hard to grow it out.
I think you have to decide for yourself what makes you happiest. You do have some damaged ends. So I would say definitely you need a trim. But how much is up to you.

I trimmed an inch and a half today, and I'm still eyeing the ends. I've been used to the uneven lengths in my hair after having a mohawk for two years, but now I just want it to all be one easy to manage length. Lol
How long has yours been growing?

LongDreams
November 8th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence. :) I guess I'm just having an itch for change/getting antsy about waiting for this to finally even up. I'm not the most patient person when it comes to my hair.

LongDreams
November 8th, 2016, 02:27 PM
The ends don't look too too bad that you can't S&D and keep growing. Just MMHO!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :) I guess I'm just having an itch for change/getting antsy about waiting for this to finally even up. I'm not the most patient person when it comes to my hair.

kidari
November 8th, 2016, 03:11 PM
I think it's a matter of personal preference. I had really badly damaged hair from coloring and daily heat styling and my hair become so difficult to work with that I just cut it all off to chin length. It gave me a fresh start and I maintained the length better as it grew out. Not to mention, it was so much easier to care for. It's kind of like gardening: you clear out all the weeds and cut off all of the dry leaves and such then the plant can flourish and grow.

lora410
November 8th, 2016, 03:34 PM
I trimmed off an inch and a half today, so I think for now I'll leave it alone and keep trimming till it all catches up to one length.

You're very lucky yours evened out! Two years of growth wow. I think it's just hard for me not to do something change-wise to my hair. Lol I'm so used to doing something every year or so.

I used to be the same way with doing something yearly. It takes a lot of patience to grow it :) You got this!!!

OhSuzi
November 8th, 2016, 04:34 PM
I guess it depends on what sort of person you are. If you're impulsive impatient and fancy changing your hair up, find some really nice long bob hairstyles and get it chopped. So the undercut would catch up more quickly, and a big chop is going to get rid of any splits ( to be honest I couldn't really see many in your pics though), plus enjoy a new sleek bob style whilst your hair grows rather than just having it in one long growing out phase. I guess you would lose a few inches, but you'd probably gain in thickness as the buzzed sides catch up.
If you're patient and good at just micro trimming your own hair and can totally deal with the same style / grow out phase, keep it long. From the pics it looks like you have quite a bit of shiny healthy long hair.
Good luck with whichever you chose!

spidermom
November 8th, 2016, 07:39 PM
I can only tell you that if it were me, I'd get a nice haircut to even up the different lengths and give my hair some style.

but that's me. I don't know what is right for you.

hanne jensen
November 9th, 2016, 01:37 AM
Split repair serum. Then I'd dust every month. Just 1/2 centimeter every month. Your hair doesn't look that damaged. I wouldn't cut unless handfuls of hair are breaking off.
I'd also try to wear it up in some protective style. This can prevent a lot of damage from happening. Also, out of sight, out of mind. When you finally notice your hair you get Holy Moly where did that come from moments.

Annalouise
November 9th, 2016, 06:37 AM
I trimmed an inch and a half today, and I'm still eyeing the ends. I've been used to the uneven lengths in my hair after having a mohawk for two years, but now I just want it to all be one easy to manage length. Lol
How long has yours been growing?

Hi!:) I've had long hair for over 20 years. I cut back to shoulders once. My problem is getting my hair past 30". Maybe? Maybe not? Not everyone can grow hair to extreme lengths. But we always can try!
I can understand why you would crave a 1 length haircut. I was lucky not to have any layers so it makes it easier to trim your own hair
and grow it out. If it was me, I'd have a one length bob and then just go from there. The thing is long hair is a long term project. So you really want to be happy in the meantime. Months of "I hate my hair" is not going to be very fun. Maybe you just want to erase the evidence of the mohawk and have a fresh start?

Deborah
November 9th, 2016, 08:18 PM
I would have it cut into a nice shorter style. (1) It would look better and more stylish now, (2) you would get rid of the damaged ends, and (3) you would have a good starting point to let it grow in without much to worry about.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Adelain
November 10th, 2016, 02:20 AM
In my opinion your hair is in fairly good condition, it appears thinned out because of your undercut. If I were you I would cut, it will be easier to grow with one-lenght hair 😊

Johannah
November 10th, 2016, 03:27 AM
I'd cut a bit to even it up and maintain for a while so you get rid of the damage. But that's me. For me personally, damage travels up pretty quickly so getting rid of the damage first would bring me faster to my goal (I wish I knew this years ago... woops). But in the end only you can make a decision.