PDA

View Full Version : Possible to trim out damage with ONLY S&D?

LittleTea
November 7th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Hey everyone, I'd like some input from those more experienced than me haha... ;)

So I have some bleach damage and split ends throughout my hair since it is heavily layered from growing out a short haircut. Trimming only the bottom won't work because I have splits throughout the length. The other problem is that since some of my layers are a lot shorter I can't actually see them when I'm trimming them, but I can feel them so that's how i've been finding them lol. :) Do you think eventually I'll be able to trim out all of the damage this way? I'm partial to fairy tale ends <3 and don't want my hair to have a blunt cut (especially in this super awkward stage).

Thanks! -LilT

lapushka
November 7th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Just be careful you don't thin your hair out, because thinned out hair and fairytale ends are 2 totally different things!

Anje
November 7th, 2016, 11:43 AM
I think it's possible, but it'd be a ton of work and you might lose some length. Honestly, you can deal with it as much or as little as you want to, depending on how easily the damaged hair can be handled. (At some point, it's almost worth going through and re-trimming the layers just to get rid of the annoyance.) Hypothetically, you could even let it grow as long as you want it, and eventually the damaged hairs will grow out past the point you're trimming at, or will shed out and be replaced. S&D will shorten how long you have to deal with those damaged hairs, if you're willing to do it enough.

Arctic
November 7th, 2016, 12:29 PM
It's also goot to S&D evenly everywhere, because it's quite possible to S&D a hole into your hemline. Don't ask me how I know, lol!

animetor7
November 7th, 2016, 01:21 PM
I think at least until the bleach damage is trimmed out, it would be best to both microtrim and S&D to get rid of the damage. S&D only works best when only a few hairs, or part of the hair is damaged, which isn't really the case with bleach damage. You can certainly switch to S&D only once it's trimmed out, I just don't think you're going to be getting rid of enough of the damage with S&D until the bleach is gone. So I'd say a while of microtrimming until you've gotten all or most of the bleach trimmed out and then switch to S&D only if you so desire. :) :flower:

Larki
November 7th, 2016, 08:01 PM
I really don't like S&D, personally, I find it thins my ends out. If it's just one split here and there, that's one thing, but if I have more than I can cut out in ten minutes, it's time for a trim.

trolleypup
November 7th, 2016, 08:14 PM
It just takes patience. Just S&D regularly...get the worst you can see...and keep at it. Only snip the ones that show actual damage.

spidermom
November 7th, 2016, 10:11 PM
It hasn't been possible for me. I swear it seems that S&D sessions create more splits.

Iamsiam
November 7th, 2016, 10:25 PM
is it possible? Yes. Will it look good? Probably not... while the splits will be gone, you will notice the effect on your hemline. I say go 50/50. S&d a bit, microtrim the layers and then give your hem a slightly bigger trim than you did on your layers. You'll still be growing the layers out, it will just take a tad longer.
I'm in the same boat as you, growing out layers with damage throughout.im taking half the length off the layers than I do my hem. Slowly, I'm getting there.

LittleTea
November 8th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all of your inputs! :flower:

I think what I'm going to do for now is lightly S&D the parts that show visible damage. Eventually I'll start microtrimming when my hair gets longer and I can do it myself. I have an extreme distrust of hairdressers due to several bad experiences (not to mention I can't afford to go right now). In the meantime I've been wearing my hair up in two mini french braids and did a protein treatment to help with the bleach damage. :)