PDA

View Full Version : Scalp buildup and super thick hair

LorelaiAmethyst
November 7th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Hi all!

I've recently noticed a lot of build up on my scalp. I always thought I had dandruff until my hair stylist told me otherwise. I'm currently using the Organix Coconut milk shampoo and conditioner, and the Mark Anthony Curl shampoo and conditioner. I often leave the conditioner in my hair to battle my hair from becoming a 'fro. Sometimes I just shampoo and keep it up.

However, no matter what I do, I'm getting a ton of buildup. I have tried ACV/Baking soda, H&S shampoo, and not using conditioner at all. The rest of my hair does not seem to have buildup, just the scalp. It's also hard to get anything to my scalp since my hair is so thick.

Help?

AZDesertRose
November 7th, 2016, 06:54 AM
What's the scalp build-up like? Does your scalp itch when you get this build-up? I ask because I have seborrheic dermatitis, and I get an itchy greasy yellowish build-up on my scalp when the SD is flaring, and if the problem is seborrheic dermatitis, you may have to try a lot of things to get it to stop, because different things work for different people.

For me, I use a prescription (from my dermatologist) ketoconazole (antifungal) shampoo, then another gentler shampoo, and then I don't use conditioner at all because it seems like every conditioner I ever try causes a flare, so I wait for my hair to dry, comb out the tangles, oil it lightly with argan oil (keeping the oil away from the scalp), and use a BBB to distribute the oil evenly, but that's what works for me. There's a dedicated thread to seborrheic dermatitis, and there are a lot of people out there who have different methods for dealing with it that work for them. It can be a real YMMV thing.

If it's not itchy, then it's probably not seborrheic dermatitis and I have no idea what it is, sorry! :flower:

jfg1987
November 7th, 2016, 06:57 AM
This is going to sound gross because it *is* gross, but when I scratch my head and there's buildup under my nails it's time to clarify :)

When I left conditioner on my scalp I got buildup like crazy, I switched to a leave in conditioning spray and was much better, now I use a combo of spray + oil + cream. Even just using conditioner in the shower and rinsing it out leaves buildup eventually, to lessen that I don't condition my scalp just the length.

I get buildup eventually anyway so I clarify every two weeks-ish. Do you use other products in your hair? Do you sweat a lot?

LorelaiAmethyst
November 7th, 2016, 07:09 AM
My scalp does itch, which is why I originally thought that it was dandruff. it fluctuates between yellow and white (the Marc Anthony stuff is yellow.)

The buildup under my nails! Yes! I just don't know what to use to clarify. No, I generally don't unless I'm going somewhere and I want my hair to behave. I'm too lazy normally. haha.

Anya15
November 7th, 2016, 07:11 AM
I have thick hair, live in a hot humid place and have SD. So a lot of build up could be a sign of SD. Try seeing a dermatologist :)

Nique1202
November 7th, 2016, 07:28 AM
It's possible that it's just your sebum. Some people's sebum is thin and oily and makes the hair look oiled or wet, and some people's sebum is thick and waxy and almost dry, and the hair never starts to look wet but might accumulate little lumps or balls of waxy stuff on the scalp, and some is in between.

Mine's just about halfway in between, a little like coconut oil in texture: it's liquid enough to make my roots look oily after a few days, but it's waxy enough that my hair feels dry even when it looks soaked and it will not spread if I use a bristle brush or get soaked up by dry shampoo. I get a lot of crud buildup on my scalp as described above, but no anti-fungal shampoo has ever had any effect on it because it's not SD or dandruff, it's just overproduction of thick sebum. The sebum can also trap the dead skin cells that your skin produces, making the problem even worse, and possibly leaving behind tiny but visible flakes even after a good wash and a thorough rinse that have to be shaken or brushed out. At least, that's my experience.

I massage my scalp thoroughly before washing (using my fingertips and nails and then a stiff-pronged plastic paddle brush, specifically the Goody Jewel paddle brush was the best I could find for cheap) to loosen as much of the scalp crud as possible, and I have to use a strong sulfate shampoo at every wash to cut through my sebum because no conditioner and no sulfate-free or low-sulfate shampoo will affect it at all and if I get any conditioner on my scalp it comes back twice as fast. With this routine, I can stretch washes to every 4-6 days depending on the season and when I have to leave the house.

vampyyri
November 7th, 2016, 07:31 AM
I would try scalp-only washes, I have the same issue with excessive oil production.

You can put the rest of your hair into a claw clip and try a clarifying shampoo to really strip everything out.

ETA: As for a clarifying shampoo, you can try Suave Daily Clarifying to start, it gets everything out without over-stripping!

Arctic
November 7th, 2016, 07:43 AM
If this is an issue of not getting scalp clean enough, then this might help: Many thick haired folks also section their hair for washing. Makes it easier to get in there really well.

Also it's often recommended on this site to use only very little shampoo and/or diluting it. This probably works for many people because it's so popular, but for example it does not work for me (and I don't even have thick hair, although it is very oily even at my age). So in case you only use very little shampoo, maybe try a bit more.

lapushka
November 7th, 2016, 07:58 AM
I have thick hair, live in a hot humid place and have SD. So a lot of build up could be a sign of SD. Try seeing a dermatologist :)

I agree with that. The medicated shampoo you'll need (full strength) to properly get rid of it is going to be prescription anyway, so, make an appointment. Don't wait and most of all, don't try 100 different products in the hope it'll disappear. Made that mistake.

I have SD too, BTW. And thick hair.

I section my hair into 4 to wash, it works. I wash upside down, and glob shampoo on the back of my head, on the top of my head and another glob for the two sides. Then every "part" is sudsed up until it all becomes a uniform foam. Then rinse. You just have to massage every part of your scalp, and well too. That's all it takes. Not difficult.

Lindenare
November 7th, 2016, 08:02 AM
So in case you only use very little shampoo, maybe try a bit more.

Seconding this. I need to use a whole palmful of shampoo for it to get everywhere on my scalp. Diluting it has never worked for me, and the "normal" quarter sized dollop hardly cleans my edges.

AZDesertRose
November 7th, 2016, 08:10 AM
My scalp does itch, which is why I originally thought that it was dandruff. it fluctuates between yellow and white (the Marc Anthony stuff is yellow.)

The buildup under my nails! Yes! I just don't know what to use to clarify. No, I generally don't unless I'm going somewhere and I want my hair to behave. I'm too lazy normally. haha.

If seeing a dermatologist is a possibility, I would recommend you do that. They can help tell you what's going on and suggest solutions. If it is seborrheic dermatitis, a number of the most effective treatments are prescription only, so you will need some doctor to prescribe them for you.

Best wishes. It really is a pain in the neck. :flower:

Stepo_NiNha
November 7th, 2016, 09:01 AM
I would try scalp-only washes, I have the same issue with excessive oil production.

You can put the rest of your hair into a claw clip and try a clarifying shampoo to really strip everything out.

ETA: As for a clarifying shampoo, you can try Suave Daily Clarifying to start, it gets everything out without over-stripping!

I would second this. Scalp only washes save a lot of time and your length doesn't need to be washed that often while your scalp is always clean!

I'd also be careful with baking soda, it's wayyy too drying!

Anje
November 7th, 2016, 12:18 PM
I'll agree with the suggestion to get someone to look at it, make sure it's not SD or similar.

However, if it's really just product buildup or general scalp gunk, I know some people swear by scalp scrubs. Usually, the recipe calls for some brown sugar mixed immediately beforehand with oil or conditioner. Then you just sort of work it into parted sections and gently scrub at your scalp with it to help loosen everything. Don't be too rough, obviously. Rinse for a while to dissolve the sugar, and wash it.

Obsidian
November 7th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Looks like both those shampoo's are sulfate free, if that's the case then I bet a good clarifying wash will help.
I'm another one who uses suave daily clarifying shampoo with great results. If my scalp is especially gunky, I will use my TT to gently scrub my scalp.

sumidha
November 7th, 2016, 02:22 PM
With the disclaimer that I don't have any type of scalp condition... Maybe once or twice a year I do a 'deep clean' of my scalp with sea salt and coconut oil. I mix a couple of tablespoons full of each together until they form a paste, hop in the shower and wet my hair, then apply the paste a little bit at a time to my scalp and gently rub it in with my fingertips, then rinse with warm water. It always eliminates under the nails gunk (that generally doesn't even manifest as dandruff).

Besides that, I would think about how you are actually shampooing your scalp. When we see commercials the models always just plop one blob of shampoo into their hand and put it on the top of their head. In my experience, especially for thick hair, that doesn't really get shampoo evenly on the entire scalp. Instead I apply a little bit to my hands, rub it across my palms and fingers, and then slide my fingers underneath my canopy hair to make sure I'm actually reaching the scalp. I repeat this as often as necessary until my whole head has shampoo on it, then really rub it in all over the scalp before rinsing. Alternatively, you could maybe experiment with diluting shampoo in water in a squirt bottle and applying it to your scalp that way. The goal is to avoid getting one concentrated blob of shampoo in one spot on your head (usually the crown) that isn't necessarily even reaching the majority of your scalp skin.

CarrotTop
November 7th, 2016, 02:33 PM
I don't have SD, just a scalp that gets gunky on occasion. Out of all the shampoos I've ever tried, the Organix coconut milk shampoo has given me the most buildup. :shrug: I definitely second the recommendations for clarifying, and also washing in sections.

meteor
November 7th, 2016, 03:14 PM
First, I'd check with a doctor, to rule out scalp conditions. If you can't see a doctor soon enough, I'd try an anti-fungal product (e.g. Nizoral with 2% ketoconazole)

But if it's just some scalp gunk (sebum, shed skin and maybe some product build-up) that doesn't seem to be easily washed out because of hair density, then I'd recommend just washing a lot more thoroughly - see if it makes a difference. Also, some of us need to use more clarifying formulas than others.

Here are a few things that helped me personally (I have very dense hair and it takes me a while to get my whole scalp clean):

- Doing a thorough scalp massage before every wash, even scrubbing scalp gently with fingertips and maybe even nails (if they are completely smooth and not too sharp). Some people use special brushes, scrubs and massaging tools for that, but I trust my fingers more.

- Washing hair in sections: I sometimes do 4-6 braids (start braiding low, e.g. from chin/shoulder level down) - this allows to get to the scalp more easily, while the hair is neatly sectioned in braids, so no risk of massive tangles while you are scrubbing the scalp.

- Washing roots at least 2-3 times: I dilute my shampoo with some water in a separate applicator bottle to make the product runnier and make it easier to reach all the areas of the scalp. But I need to lather it up 2 or 3 times to get that proper completely clean feeling. Whenever I lathered up only once, I always regretted it later - hair got greasier faster or I felt some build-up under my nails, etc. I also need to flip hair sometimes (which can cause tangles, alas!) to get the right angle for each area of the scalp to be scrubbed sufficiently. It does mean that my washes take 15-30 minutes, even if I skip conditioning, but I feel like that's sometimes what really thick hair demands. :flower:

- Scalp Only Washes: my holy grail! I love that they allow me to keep the scalp very clean without disturbing my length, which stays fresh much longer and generally looks and feels better the further away I am from my last wash.

lapushka
November 7th, 2016, 03:21 PM
First, I'd check with a doctor, to rule out scalp conditions. If you can't see a doctor soon enough, I'd try an anti-fungal product (e.g. Nizoral with 2% ketoconazole)

Yes, meteor, but in the US you need to see a doctor for the 2% (prescription only).

hanne jensen
November 9th, 2016, 01:56 AM
It's possible that it's just your sebum. Some people's sebum is thin and oily and makes the hair look oiled or wet, and some people's sebum is thick and waxy and almost dry, and the hair never starts to look wet but might accumulate little lumps or balls of waxy stuff on the scalp, and some is in between.

Mine's just about halfway in between, a little like coconut oil in texture: it's liquid enough to make my roots look oily after a few days, but it's waxy enough that my hair feels dry even when it looks soaked and it will not spread if I use a bristle brush or get soaked up by dry shampoo. I get a lot of crud buildup on my scalp as described above, but no anti-fungal shampoo has ever had any effect on it because it's not SD or dandruff, it's just overproduction of thick sebum. The sebum can also trap the dead skin cells that your skin produces, making the problem even worse, and possibly leaving behind tiny but visible flakes even after a good wash and a thorough rinse that have to be shaken or brushed out. At least, that's my experience.

I massage my scalp thoroughly before washing (using my fingertips and nails and then a stiff-pronged plastic paddle brush, specifically the Goody Jewel paddle brush was the best I could find for cheap) to loosen as much of the scalp crud as possible, and I have to use a strong sulfate shampoo at every wash to cut through my sebum because no conditioner and no sulfate-free or low-sulfate shampoo will affect it at all and if I get any conditioner on my scalp it comes back twice as fast. With this routine, I can stretch washes to every 4-6 days depending on the season and when I have to leave the house.

I too have hard dry waxy sebum. It builds up on my scalp and (gasp) clogs up my follicles resulting in no growth. I used Nioxin products for 6 months to clear my follicles. This stuff is pricey so I learned my lesson. I use a diluted clarifying poo on my scalp almost every hairwash. I never get conditioner anywhere near my scalp. If you have hard dry waxy sebum it takes almost industrial strength cleansers to cut through it. Save the gentle moisturizing poos for your length. Avoid cones in poos. If your hair loves cones, use only on the length.

LorelaiAmethyst
November 9th, 2016, 05:40 AM
Update:

I washed yesterday with the suave clarifying shampoo, with my hair in sections. It definitely helped my scalp, but I'm still itchy. I've got an appointment in a few weeks, so I will definitely ask about the SD. I usually don't wash my length, scalp only because of the type of hair that I have.

I really like the sea salt and coconut oil scrub. :)

Thank you guys so much!

Angela_Rose
November 9th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Update:

I washed yesterday with the suave clarifying shampoo, with my hair in sections. It definitely helped my scalp, but I'm still itchy. I've got an appointment in a few weeks, so I will definitely ask about the SD. I usually don't wash my length, scalp only because of the type of hair that I have.

Thank you guys so much!

I started using the Nizoral shampoo about a year ago and have had very little buildup and almost no dandruff since I started using it. As you well know, my hair is half as thick as yours (which is saying something!), but I'm very happy with the results of that shampoo. My scalp is a lot happier and I can even stretch washes a little more now.

lapushka
November 9th, 2016, 06:20 AM
Update:

Thank you guys so much!

Don't start experimenting with things before your appointment, so the doctor can see everything as is. Just regular S/C or whatever method you use. Also, don't forget to mention your symptoms, the itchiness especially is important as you don't get that with regular dandruff!

spidermom
November 9th, 2016, 06:54 AM
Another thing you can do is brush/comb your hair out thoroughly before you get in the shower, then apply shampoo to your scalp and shower-comb over your scalp, all areas of your scalp, not the length. I like to shake my shampoo up in some water in a squirt bottle because it's easier to get the solution all over my scalp that way. I get flares of SD, too, and this method has really helped to keep the scalp nice and clean.

lapushka
November 9th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Another thing you can do is brush/comb your hair out thoroughly before you get in the shower, then apply shampoo to your scalp and shower-comb over your scalp, all areas of your scalp, not the length. I like to shake my shampoo up in some water in a squirt bottle because it's easier to get the solution all over my scalp that way. I get flares of SD, too, and this method has really helped to keep the scalp nice and clean.

If I do that and it's bad the flakes just end up in my length. :(

If I have a flare-up I need to pick the flakes out (they're usually big enough to "dig out"), and then carefully brush & just use my Nizoral 2%... and hope for the best. :shrug:

It's different for everyone, isn't it? :)

spidermom
November 9th, 2016, 07:52 PM
If I do that and it's bad the flakes just end up in my length. :(

If I have a flare-up I need to pick the flakes out (they're usually big enough to "dig out"), and then carefully brush & just use my Nizoral 2%... and hope for the best. :shrug:

It's different for everyone, isn't it? :)

Yes it is. I don't really get flakes. I get sore red spots that resemble pimples.

Angela_Rose
November 9th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Yes it is. I don't really get flakes. I get sore red spots that resemble pimples.

Ugh, those suck. I get them around my nape sometimes.

ANoteToSelf
November 11th, 2016, 09:35 PM

This is exactly what I was thinking. I have the same problem as the OP, but only in the last 5-6 years have I noticed it. Before I noticed, my scalp was fine, now it's itchy, I can't push it past the 3rd day(even though I do that all the time since I'm at home a lot), and Ive tried everything.

I too have thick hair that has gotten thicker in the last 5-6 years, so I'm guessing that could be a factor. The healthier my hair gets, the thicker it gets, and the itchier my scalp gets. I will say that since I started diluting my shampoo(1 tbs to 12 oz water) the itching has gotten a lot better. For me, it's just something I have to live with.