PDA

View Full Version : How to make an ENGLISH braid? Yes, really!

UrbanEast
October 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM
Many of you are making much more complicated braids. Please don't laugh, but I'm still struggling to make a straight English braid. With hip length hair, I seem to lose track of one of the three strands before I get to the bottom (because I can't see the back of my head).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really like to try some braided updos!

Islandgrrl
October 21st, 2008, 10:28 AM
Start the braid in back, braid a ways down, then flip everything over the shoulder of your choice and finish the braid in front where you can see what's going on.

Does that help? :)

BlndeInDisguise
October 21st, 2008, 10:40 AM
Or, (I usually don't do this, but it does help keep the tassel a little more even) you can flip the braid over your head--bending over--and keep braiding.

Periwinkle
October 21st, 2008, 10:44 AM
You might find it easier to start with two braids, because after the first couple of goes, you can see them without any positioning.

I also agree with whoever recommended flipping your head over and braiding upside-down. I can't braid as neatly that way, but I'm getting better with practice.

LeaM07
October 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM
I also braid a bit behind my back (three or so bumps) then bring it over my shoulder to finish the rest.

You might try searching for YouTube videos. Watching someone do it and seeing which of their fingers do what might help. :)

Ohio Sky
October 21st, 2008, 10:50 AM
Have you tried Dianyla's method? It's in the archives. It helps me a lot. :D

UrbanEast
October 21st, 2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the responses. I've tried the first back and then over the shoulder method, but the top seems to turn out loose and messy that way when I do it. :(

I'll try the flip over method next.

LeaM07
October 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the responses. I've tried the first back and then over the shoulder method, but the top seems to turn out loose and messy that way when I do it. :(This might not be a problem if you're planning to try a braided updo.

Winding your hair around is going to pull on the top part anyway, so by the time you have it stretched where you want it, it might not be all that loose. Also, if you have enough hair to wind around a couple of times, the second ring of your bun might cover up enough of the looseness to keep it from being noticeable. Bobby pins work nicely to tuck away nape hairs.

I also have the best luck when my hair is slightly damp. I put a bit of aloe gel on my hands as well to keep it neat.

Good luck! :)

chelles2kids
October 21st, 2008, 12:39 PM
I have better luck sometimes doing a ponytail (either a high ponytail or a low one, depending on if your bunning it afterwards) and *then* beginning the braid.
Mine also seems to look alot better, if I do it while watching myself in the mirror.

Once it gets so far down and I bring it around over one shoulder is usually when I get out of sync with my strands.
For some reason if I'm watching myself, I don't do that?

LadyLongLocks
October 21st, 2008, 01:50 PM
You might try a double mirror until you get the hang of it. I pull it over my shoulder and finish braiding and when it gets too long I wrap it around my neck and finish.( my hair knee length) If you are doing a bun it won't be too noticeable if you mess up. Sometimes if I have an uneven amount of hair, I borrow some from the other 1/3. You cant tell in a bun.
Maybe you should practice with a side braid so you can see better.