PDA

View Full Version : How does Demi Moore Get Her Hair SO GLOSSY AND SHINY?!!!

glittermoomin
November 6th, 2016, 11:52 AM
This has long puzzled me. Every single time I see a photo of Demi Moore (usually in the tabloids) she has THE SHINIEST, GLOSSIEST HAIR EVER!
See these two photos as an example, although practically any photo of her on a red carpet will show it:
http://imgur.com/a/A3w5T
I'm talking, glossier and shinier than any, and I do mean, any, other celebrity I can possibly think of, even the ones with far more money, or that clearly spend far more time on their hair at salons etc. Her hair is shinier than Jennifer Aniston's, Angelina Jolie's, Kim Kadashian's...
I'm not a particularly big Demi Moore fan. But every single time I see a photo of her, I get INSANE HAIR ENVY!!
What do you guys suspect she uses to achieve such a jaw-droppingly glossy look? I have limp, straight, non-porous hair, and use coconut oil twice weekly on it, and my hair is still just kind of dull and mousy, with very little sheen.
Is it just pure luck? Or a particular coloring technique? Or it it a particular styling product? Or a particular styling technique?
HELP A GIRL OUT!! :D

XiaoBaiTu
November 6th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Just a guess, but I'd say a combo of color, texture, and flash photography. It seems like her hair strands are quite coarse, so they would reasonably have more surface area to reflect light. Also, her color is dark brown, not black. Light reflects off of dark brown hair this way, while black hair absorbs light more and the reflection isn't as noticeable in light colored hair.

It also helps that both those photos are taken with bright artificial light. I suspect that this effect wouldn't be so strong in natural light or even artificial light that wasn't so directed on her.

littlestarface
November 6th, 2016, 12:02 PM
It's honestly just the flash all those lights reflect off of dark hair so it's like a mirror of it.

glittermoomin
November 6th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Sounds like her particular hair colour might have something to do with it then? Sounds like I need to get some dark brown hair stat hehe.

I had considered the flash as a culprit as well of course, but... all the other celebrities I see on the red carpets are subject to exactly the same kind and amount of flash, and their hair is still not as shiny as Demi's. It just seems like there is some other "x-factor" at play with her hair. I wish I knew what it was!!

littlestarface
November 6th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Sounds like her particular hair colour might have something to do with it then? Sounds like I need to get some dark brown hair stat hehe.

I had considered the flash as a culprit as well of course, but... all the other celebrities I see on the red carpets are subject to exactly the same kind and amount of flash, and their hair is still not as shiny as Demi's. It just seems like there is some other "x-factor" at play with her hair. I wish I knew what it was!!

Well they probably put tons of serums on her hair so that could be some help. I remember her in ghost and her hair was black and so straight so it's just natural for her to have the shiny hair.

I see alot of japanese and chinese people in pics and movies and man is their hair so shiny much more then hers that's for sure.

glittermoomin
November 6th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Yeah, that was my other thought. I'm sure she has a fabulous hair stylist who knows her hair well and is able to find products that really enhance her hair and bring out the best in it.

I was just super-curious if others had tips for how to achieve this kind of shine at home.

The main things I have heard about are -

* Coconut oil (very nourishing for my hair, and gives it a bit of a shine boost, but nothing super-blinging to be honest)
* Keratin treatments ( have heard very good things about this)
* Serums (don't know anything about these)

I notice also, some girls' hair seems to be shinier when they have it tonged. Not sure how that works, it seems like curly hair would be less shiny. Perhaps it is the way the light refracts off the hair?

animetor7
November 6th, 2016, 12:48 PM
My guess would be a combination of color, lots of cones, and good lighting. :)

missmelaniem
November 6th, 2016, 12:51 PM
My hair is shinier after I wash out oil. I would also guess silicones.

kganihanova
November 6th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Silicone shine serum most likely and probably a pass with a flat iron (flat iron waves)

Doom
November 6th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Photoshop.

sarahthegemini
November 6th, 2016, 01:55 PM
I'm no help but I feel the same whenever I see pictures of Courtney Cox!

lapushka
November 6th, 2016, 02:07 PM
This has long puzzled me. Every single time I see a photo of Demi Moore (usually in the tabloids) she has THE SHINIEST, GLOSSIEST HAIR EVER!
See these two photos as an example, although practically any photo of her on a red carpet will show it:
http://imgur.com/a/A3w5T
I'm talking, glossier and shinier than any, and I do mean, any, other celebrity I can possibly think of, even the ones with far more money, or that clearly spend far more time on their hair at salons etc. Her hair is shinier than Jennifer Aniston's, Angelina Jolie's, Kim Kadashian's...
I'm not a particularly big Demi Moore fan. But every single time I see a photo of her, I get INSANE HAIR ENVY!!
What do you guys suspect she uses to achieve such a jaw-droppingly glossy look? I have limp, straight, non-porous hair, and use coconut oil twice weekly on it, and my hair is still just kind of dull and mousy, with very little sheen.
Is it just pure luck? Or a particular coloring technique? Or it it a particular styling product? Or a particular styling technique?
HELP A GIRL OUT!! :D

First of all, stop comparing your hair to that of a celebrity. They have the money, the resources to get professionals to look after their every need. Doesn't mean they will do it, but if she's getting pics taken, you bet they have "worked" on her.

Who knows maybe they spray shoe-shine in her hair. ;) :p JK (don't do that, BTW)!

All you can do is look after your own hair, look at your own hair and treat it according to what it needs.

Can I ask how old you are? :o The reason I'm asking is, I used to do that when I was a certain age as well, but I grew out of it.

lapushka
November 6th, 2016, 02:08 PM
* Keratin treatments ( have heard very good things about this)

I hope you aren't talking about Brazilian Keratin straightening, because that is damaging as hell and uses formaldehyde!

glittermoomin
November 6th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Although I am comparing my hair to a celebrity's, I think I'm more comparing ONE celebrity's hair to all the OTHER celebrities. Her hair just looks so much better than ANY other celebrities I see out there. I'm just curious why.

Shoe shine sounds like a great idea too ;-)

glittermoomin
November 6th, 2016, 02:58 PM
I would never do a Keratin treatment. I've worked too hard to get the hair that I have to do anything to eff it up! I've heard bad things about them too, agreed.

lapushka
November 6th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Shoe shine sounds like a great idea too ;-)

LOL! :lol: ;)

Anje
November 6th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Silicones, dark hair, and bright lights go a long way. Flash photography goes way further. Some hair is just generally shiny too. Mine is rather reflective and always has been, and now it's hennaed besides. Fine hair with a tight cuticle tends on average to be pretty shiny, especially when it hangs smoothly together.

kidari
November 6th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Here's a different twist on it; I bet she practices more LHC style hair care than the usual celeb. Of course her hair is professionally styled but imagine professionally heat styled hair on hair that has been extremely well taken care of than the usual fried and over processed hair of the other celebs ?!

Crystawni
November 6th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Good lighting and tidiness (some form of uniformity and smoothness, like freshly undone braids) goes a long way to making hair glossy. As an example, my WEO albums here have pics of my buns taken in sunlight. Even my whites get their gloss on, so for me at least, colour doesn't factor into it. BTW, my hair is virgin and quite fine, and I rarely use serums as they weigh my hair down. Less is more? Maybe that's Demi's secret? Oh, and good, clean water (rainwater or stream, etc.) can be magical.

Zeewee
November 6th, 2016, 07:52 PM
I'm no help either but Katie Holmes' hair is amazing, too!

glittermoomin
November 6th, 2016, 09:19 PM
I agree, Courtney Cox also induces follicle-envy too!!

mz_butterfly
November 6th, 2016, 09:36 PM
"Hollywood" -- "Smoke and Mirrors"

I was surprised when I saw the pic, it doesn't even look like her. I will never understand why naturally beautiful women get so much surgery that they don't even look like themselves. She used to be gorgeous, now she looks like a Stepford Wife. It's a shame really. I know that the Hollywood movie industry encourages celebrities to be perpetually young and to never age but that is really unhealthy and unrealistic. What good is having a "healthy lifestyle" if you're ruining yourself in another way? sigh

yahirwaO.o
November 6th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Silicones, flat iron and flash lights make dark hair ultra shiny. I should now, my hair is just like that on conjunction with all the facts above. My own natural hair semi shines but has a tendency of getting dull in real life. Pictures always make my hair super shiny when its not!

Deborah
November 7th, 2016, 12:01 AM
Maybe she just has naturally shiny hair. Some people do.

Adelain
November 7th, 2016, 01:04 AM
There are also gloss hair treatments, some special dyes that add shine to the hair.

vega
November 7th, 2016, 02:49 AM
Remember too most things about celebs are fake

momschicklets
November 7th, 2016, 05:14 AM
My guess is that she might use a Demi to color her hair (see what I did there?? Lol). But for real....Demi permanent hair colors impart a lot of shine and are often used in hair commercials....along with all the lighting, computer fakery etc. I use a demi, and though my hair doesn't look like hers, I do get a lot of comments on the shine! Mine is dark brown too.

OhSuzi
November 7th, 2016, 05:33 AM
I reckon it's partly her hair type - my friend has similarly annoyingly perfect hair. It's Black / Very Dark Brown and its thick / coarse and I have never in the 20 odd years I have known her since school seen her with anything other than insanely shiny neat hair. The friend in question is a very healthy dancer who never dyes/perms etc. her hair, gets it trimmed regularly & comes from an extremely good looking family.
She's never revealed any amazing hair beauty secrets to us, so either she's keeping them for herself or it's just lifestyle & luck with great genes that makes hair beautiful. Or she's sold her soul in exchange for perfection in her appearance...
Can't do much about the genes but most of us can eat better & exercise more.

OhSuzi
November 7th, 2016, 05:44 AM
Also lots of celebs have hair extensions / weaves / hair pieces that add extra volume & make them look like they have a load more shiny healthy hair than they do.
Or perhaps she's done that glossing thing were you dye your hair with a clear dye?

Lisa-K
November 7th, 2016, 06:24 AM
I don't know, but when it comes to celebs, I always automatically assume that their hair is fake (extensions, wigs, you name it). Especially at a public event.

Anya15
November 7th, 2016, 07:24 AM
Probably the color + flash. My hair can look that shiny if someone uses flash to take a photo, and i have black hair.

mizukitty
November 7th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Definitely color + insane flash photography and a good hairstylist. If you look at her candid pics off the red carpet, it doesn't nearly look as shiny (meaning the flash has a lot to do with that effect.)

EbonyCurls
November 8th, 2016, 04:27 PM
There was an article that circulated in the 90s, where she allegedly stated she used bottled distilled water to wash and rinse her hair.

Flipgirl24
November 9th, 2016, 08:10 PM
She probably does use bottled or distilled water. I'm sure she has the most expensive products and hairstylists to keep her hair in good shape and colour. But maybe without styling or products, her hair looks like crap. Like when they show celebrities without their makeup. Most have nice skin but some have acne. Cameras and airbrushing do a lot too!

Alissalocks
November 9th, 2016, 10:05 PM
I swear by Hask Shine Treatments, they come in Argan oil, Keratin, Macadamia oil and Coconut, different scents also, but all do amazing things as a leave in treatment (w silicones).

Dark40
January 14th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Well they probably put tons of serums on her hair so that could be some help. I remember her in ghost and her hair was black and so straight so it's just natural for her to have the shiny hair.

I see alot of japanese and chinese people in pics and movies and man is their hair so shiny much more then hers that's for sure.

And, do you remember when Demi Moore starred in Ghost she had her hair chopped off really short. Because, for another movie she made I think it was called The Butcher's Wife she had bleached it, and it got damaged. So, she when through a pixie cut, and yes in Ghost it was black and straight.

Flipgirl24
January 14th, 2017, 10:43 PM
It's called personal hairstylists and blowouts.

littlestarface
January 14th, 2017, 10:55 PM
And, do you remember when Demi Moore starred in Ghost she had her hair chopped off really short. Because, for another movie she made I think it was called The Butcher's Wife she had bleached it, and it got damaged. So, she when through a pixie cut, and yes in Ghost it was black and straight.

Yeah and in indecent proposal it was short as well. I remember monica from friends wanting her hair cut short like Demi lol.

VersLaLumière
January 15th, 2017, 03:23 AM
My hair could get that kind of shine when I was regularly dying it shades of darker semi-permanant colors in the salon. Salon-quality semi-permanent dye can make the hair look super glossy and rich, especially when it's freshly done. It was high-mainanence and expensive to keep up with, though.

hanne jensen
January 15th, 2017, 04:28 AM
My hair shines like that after I've clarified and chelated. I also get a very deep shine with shampoil which is an old Hollywood hack.

turtlelover
January 15th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Henna really amps up the shine of my hair, and so does using a cone serum or spray.

Mrstran
January 15th, 2017, 11:38 AM
That's the thing about darker hair that I just love. The shine! I have a heck of a time making my hair shine now that my dyed ( never again) color has faded to a light, fall leaf, chestnut, sorta brown. But! That may have much to do with the condition, not color.
My roots on the other hand are just glowing! Something I totally didn't expect from my ash/blonde/brown hair.

hayheadsbird
January 15th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Skipping acv def reduces the shine on my hair. Somehow I don't think Demi is just using acv though :P

Dark40
January 15th, 2017, 07:24 PM
Yeah and in indecent proposal it was short as well. I remember monica from friends wanting her hair cut short like Demi lol.

Yes, it was short in indecent proposal. I would say that it was almost shoulder length. Wow, I don't think that I could ever cut my hair that short. I don't like short hair. I love how Demi Moore's hair looked in the movie, "Striptease!" I told me mom when Demi was dating the actor Ashton Kutcher all of her long hair was her real natural hair. My mom thought that she was wearing extensions. Or, a weave...lol.

HopeB
January 15th, 2017, 08:50 PM
I agree, she has gorgeous looking hair. IIRC, I read an article where a celebrity hairdresser talked about how long, straight, dark hair colors (like Cher in the 1970s, Demi Moore, etc.) just reflect more shine and that blonde hair doesn't shine in quite the same way as dark hair.

littlestarface
January 15th, 2017, 09:26 PM
Yes, it was short in indecent proposal. I would say that it was almost shoulder length. Wow, I don't think that I could ever cut my hair that short. I don't like short hair. I love how Demi Moore's hair looked in the movie, "Striptease!" I told me mom when Demi was dating the actor Ashton Kutcher all of her long hair was her real natural hair. My mom thought that she was wearing extensions. Or, a weave...lol.

Yea her hair looked nice in striptease, her face is good tho for short hair tho, I know for sure I could never pull it off tho haha.

Lol yah that was her own hair, I remember before that whole ashton thing she was pretty quiet in terms of movies n such so her hair had a while to grow without us seeing it.

LadyCelestina
January 16th, 2017, 12:29 AM
I feel really stupid for posting this again because I feel people think I'm crazy when I mention it:crazy: but I bet she uses products with shimmer/glitter in her hair. That's exactly how the shine looks. *flies away* :pegasus:

april17
January 16th, 2017, 08:41 PM
I have a friend with troubled hair (thinning, almost translucent grays, fragile). But whenever she comes back from the salon after color and keratin treatment, her hair looks amazing (super glossy, rich, perfectly straight and thicker-looking. It's expensive (and damaging by the standards usually held on this board) and doesn't last. My guess is that most likely, keratin treatments are behind the glossiest of the stars' locks.