PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 inches of growth in one year

Annalouise
November 6th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Hi everyone,

So I was going over my records and my hair was 29" in January of this year, I trimmed 1" in April, and my hair is now
29.5 inches long. That means I only grew 1.5 " in 11 months. :doh:
Not a good hair growth year. :brickwall

So let me tell you what I think could be contributing factors:

1. I started a new shampoo/conditioner and used it all year. I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not certain hair products could stunt hair growth?

2. In September I had my vitamin levels checked and my doc said I was Vit D deficient.

3. I am possibly very close to terminal length. I have never been able to grow my hair past waist.

4. Stress? I had a stressful summer.

Or none of the above? I eat a very healthy diet. I cook all my own food fresh. I eat out of my garden. Anyways... do you think a shampoo could inhibit growth? What is your idea about why my hair is stalling so badly?

Thanks in advance.:puppykisses:

truepeacenik
November 6th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Don't assume that is all the growth.

Length is growth minus damage.
So if your ends are quite fragile, they are likely breaking, and that might negate the growth as it applies to length.

Aside from that, overall health? Big changes? New diet?

Entangled
November 6th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Based on your profile picture, it doesn't look like you have the extreme taper associated with terminal, so I would guess it's either stress or your hair is breaking off at that point (which I can't tell).

Annalouise
November 6th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Truepeacenik - good point. No, my hair isn't damaged and it doesn't break off. I have no split ends. I oil the ends and wear my hair up everyday. I am almost certain I am not losing length to damage. (The only possible damage would be my pillowcase at night but I don't see hairs on my pillowcase).
I changed my diet only 6 weeks ago so I don't think its diet related.
No big changes in my life.:hmm:

Annalouise
November 6th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Based on your profile picture, it doesn't look like you have the extreme taper associated with terminal, so I would guess it's either stress or your hair is breaking off at that point (which I can't tell).

;) hahaha, I had to laugh. THAT is a GOOD picture of my hair! YES, I have extreme taper!! :D

Entangled
November 6th, 2016, 09:46 AM
;) hahaha, I had to laugh. THAT is a GOOD picture of my hair! YES, I have extreme taper!! :D
What can I say, I do the best with what I have. :bigtongue: :rolling: It looks nice.

I can't really tell unless it's braided or something, I guess. Products are probably not the cause unless you've noticed an increase in shedding. Vitamin deficiency would definitely contribute, but I know nothing about specific deficiencies, so someone else will have to chime in.

So, I would echo truepeacenik in that length = growth - breakage. You may have a stall, or nearing terminal. I guess the solution would be to baby the ends--they may have sun damage, as I noticed they're considerably lighter than the rest of your hair. That would mean they're a little more fragile and prone to breakage.

Hmm. I checked out your routine on your profile, and you may consider not using a BBB. They can be bad on more fragile hair.

truepeacenik
November 6th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Stalls get epic.
I know trolleypup and EdG had long stalls, to the point that they'd filed it under terminal. Both are growing again.
I stalled twice, for about a year each time.

lapushka
November 6th, 2016, 09:58 AM
The question that might matter. Do you use any heat on your hair (styling tools mostly)?

Annalouise
November 6th, 2016, 10:31 AM
What can I say, I do the best with what I have. :bigtongue: :rolling: It looks nice.

I can't really tell unless it's braided or something, I guess. Products are probably not the cause unless you've noticed an increase in shedding. Vitamin deficiency would definitely contribute, but I know nothing about specific deficiencies, so someone else will have to chime in.

So, I would echo truepeacenik in that length = growth - breakage. You may have a stall, or nearing terminal. I guess the solution would be to baby the ends--they may have sun damage, as I noticed they're considerably lighter than the rest of your hair. That would mean they're a little more fragile and prone to breakage.

Hmm. I checked out your routine on your profile, and you may consider not using a BBB. They can be bad on more fragile hair.

I shed the same amount. The ends are lighter due to sunshine (I live in the desert) and also I used to use honey (not put in the microwave) on my hair and that lightened it. So I stopped using honey.
The bbb is a hard one because my scalp is addicted to it. However, I could consider doing a 6 month trial whereby I stop brushing and do a light scalp massage instead. Something to think about for sure. :toast:

Stalls get epic.
I know trolleypup and EdG had long stalls, to the point that they'd filed it under terminal. Both are growing again.
I stalled twice, for about a year each time.

Ok, phew, that is a relief! Let's hope that it starts growing again. Good to know, thanks. :beerchug:

The question that might matter. Do you use any heat on your hair (styling tools mostly)?

Nope, and I never have on this head of hair. :D It's fairly virgin hair to be honest.

turtlelover
November 6th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Lightening of any sort can and will cause damage.....even with natural methods.

littlestarface
November 6th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Yumm I wanna eat from your garden, I love fresh foods.

lapushka
November 6th, 2016, 11:15 AM

Ooh, very true. Bleach (peroxide) of any kind, whether it be from just honey or a bit of sun-in. Very damaging, and can make your hair very brittle and prone to breakage unless you use a fair bit of protein, and keep that protein/moisture balance.

Apolli
November 6th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Ooh, very true. Bleach (peroxide) of any kind, whether it be from just honey or a bit of sun-in. Very damaging, and can make your hair very brittle and prone to breakage unless you use a fair bit of protein, and keep that protein/moisture balance.

English isn't my native language so I might have understood incorrectly but I don't think honey has peroxide o.o

littlestarface
November 6th, 2016, 12:04 PM
English isn't my native language so I might have understood incorrectly but I don't think honey has peroxide o.o

It does, tiny amounts.

Annalouise
November 6th, 2016, 12:27 PM

I don't lighten my hair. Honey is a popular conditioner here and is used also in deep treatments and it is rinsed out of the hair.
If you have light hair then you may experience some lightening from the honey. But if your hair is dark no worries.:)

Yumm I wanna eat from your garden, I love fresh foods.

:yumm: I know! SO DELICIOUS! fresh veggies. I make enough tomato sauce to last the year.

Yes, however I don't lighten my hair. I live in the desert where its very hot and sunny all year round. So its rather difficult to not experience any fading. I wear hats when I go out but still, there is going out to the garden to grab vegetables, and also hanging clothing on the line...:)

Some people who use honey as a rinse out conditioner will put the honey in the microwave and that releases the small amount of peroxide. But if your hair is dark brown you'll never see any fading, its only for the lighter haired folks and who don't put the honey in the microwave first.:)

Annalouise
November 6th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Also, there are products on the market, leave in conditioners with SPF's in it to prevent fading for people who live in sunny climates.
Maybe I should try that? It's something to think about...:shrug: although, my concern was not the color of my hair but the lack of growth.
My ends are not damaged or split. But I realize the faded color may be off putting to some people. What can you do? Welcome to live in the desert where its 100 plus degrees!

littlestarface
November 6th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Also, there are products on the market, leave in conditioners with SPF's in it to prevent fading for people who live in sunny climates.
Maybe I should try that? It's something to think about...:shrug: although, my concern was not the color of my hair but the lack of growth.
My ends are not damaged or split. But I realize the faded color may be off putting to some people. What can you do? Welcome to live in the desert where its 100 plus degrees!

Haha I know that grotesque sunny life. Did your Dr. give you any pills for the vitamin D deficiency?

Entangled
November 6th, 2016, 12:53 PM
I just want to clarify that I don't think your ends are ugly! I tend to like natural lightening, and have experienced myself. The reason I brought it up is because pretty and natural as it is, it is a sign of damage by the sun's UV rays. Any kind of lightening does cause damage. However, damage is unavoidable, so it's a "pick your poison" kind of endeavor. The reason I brought up damage is because it is a reason hair might appear to not grow. On the other hand, it could have nothing to do with damage at all and everything to do with stress and genetics. :blossom:

Apolli
November 6th, 2016, 01:27 PM
It does, tiny amounts.

I never would've thought it was true until you guys pointed it out! :0 honey came up in a couple of topics in class (nutrition and biochemistry) and peroxide was never mentioned so hearing this was a surprise (imagine eating peroxide- that and I thought honey is used in some conditioning treatments so I was like :confused:). The stuff you learn on lhc :p
(Just as disclaimer though- Honey doesn't seem to naturally have peroxide but it has enzymes that can break down some of its components into peroxide under the right conditions (water apparently) hence I think what you meant by small amounts?).

I don't lighten my hair. Honey is a popular conditioner here and is used also in deep treatments and it is rinsed out of the hair.
If you have light hair then you may experience some lightening from the honey. But if your hair is dark no worries.:)

:yumm: I know! SO DELICIOUS! fresh veggies. I make enough tomato sauce to last the year.

Yes, however I don't lighten my hair. I live in the desert where its very hot and sunny all year round. So its rather difficult to not experience any fading. I wear hats when I go out but still, there is going out to the garden to grab vegetables, and also hanging clothing on the line...:)

Some people who use honey as a rinse out conditioner will put the honey in the microwave and that releases the small amount of peroxide. But if your hair is dark brown you'll never see any fading, its only for the lighter haired folks and who don't put the honey in the microwave first.:)

This is very interesting (and kinda sad that it wouldn't work out for darker haired folks, nothing seems to work with my hair color lol)! I'm also hoping you figure out what caused the growth stall (or at least get well soon regarding your vitamin d deficiency and stress, those are never nice to go through :( ).

littlestarface
November 6th, 2016, 02:39 PM
I never would've thought it was true until you guys pointed it out! :0 honey came up in a couple of topics in class (nutrition and biochemistry) and peroxide was never mentioned so hearing this was a surprise (imagine eating peroxide- that and I thought honey is used in some conditioning treatments so I was like :confused:). The stuff you learn on lhc :p
(Just as disclaimer though- Honey doesn't seem to naturally have peroxide but it has enzymes that can break down some of its components into peroxide under the right conditions (water apparently) hence I think what you meant by small amounts?).

This is very interesting (and kinda sad that it wouldn't work out for darker haired folks, nothing seems to work with my hair color lol)! I'm also hoping you figure out what caused the growth stall (or at least get well soon regarding your vitamin d deficiency and stress, those are never nice to go through :( ).

Yes that's what I meant. I never get lightening from it but I wish I did hhhh. There's a huge thread about it if you mix with olive oil and distilled water with honey, it's used to lighten blonde hair and I did it for the time I tried indigo on my hair and it actually worked. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148

animetor7
November 6th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Yes that's what I meant. I never get lightening from it but I wish I did hhhh. There's a huge thread about it if you mix with olive oil and distilled water with honey, it's used to lighten blonde hair and I did it for the time I tried indigo on my hair and it actually worked. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148

So is your natural color not black? I always thought it was from your pictures. huh.

littlestarface
November 6th, 2016, 02:44 PM
So is your natural color not black? I always thought it was from your pictures. huh.

It is natural black but a long time ago I didn't want my whites orange so I tried indigo but I changed my mind cuz indigo is nasty as hell and I just wanted henna,, so I wanted the indigo off my whites and the honey mix helped take it off.

lapushka
November 6th, 2016, 03:20 PM

No it wasn't the fading, but I did think you lightened your hair, from looking at your avatar. Sorry. It looks pretty, though! So it's not that! :D If it's natural fading and you have no damage from it, then think nothing of it.

I think SPF leave-ins are pretty darn pricey and they might not even be worth it.

Annalouise
November 6th, 2016, 03:53 PM
I just want to clarify that I don't think your ends are ugly! I tend to like natural lightening, and have experienced myself. The reason I brought it up is because pretty and natural as it is, it is a sign of damage by the sun's UV rays. Any kind of lightening does cause damage. However, damage is unavoidable, so it's a "pick your poison" kind of endeavor. The reason I brought up damage is because it is a reason hair might appear to not grow. On the other hand, it could have nothing to do with damage at all and everything to do with stress and genetics. :blossom:

Yes you are correct. The sun is damaging to our skin and hair. I appreciate your insights and I really should consider covering it everyday with a scarf. But I am a bit lazy. I don't even use sun screen on my skin! haha and I still have vit D deficiency! I think I'll start to wear sunscreen too I might as well seeing as my skin isn't making Vit D anyways..:p Thanks for your help.

I think truepeacenick is right, its a stall. Hopefully next year the growth will be happening again.:toast:

Haha I know that grotesque sunny life. Did your Dr. give you any pills for the vitamin D deficiency?

He told me to take Vit D supplements. So I'm taking 1,000 IU per day. :)

No it wasn't the fading, but I did think you lightened your hair, from looking at your avatar. Sorry. It looks pretty, though! So it's not that! :D If it's natural fading and you have no damage from it, then think nothing of it.

I think SPF leave-ins are pretty darn pricey and they might not even be worth it.

Thanks. I did price them out and they seem to run about 30$ a bottle! :bigeyes: And most contain silicones which means I have to shampoo the length more often due to build up. So its kindof a big deal. I'm pretty minimalist with my hair. We'll see... thanks for your help :cool:

OhSuzi
November 7th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Just to note in a very non sciencey way - there are probably pages you can google that explain this better - Vit D can not be absorbed by our bodies in the form it's in, it has to undergo a process that changes it's form - I have a niggly feeling that this requires magnesium? and possibly some other things to help break it down so it can be absorbed. So if you're somewhere sunny & taking vit D supplements & not seeing any improvement it may be a magnesium? (i'm pretty sure it's magnesium) deficiency that's stopping you absorb the Vit D.
Also I think if you eat a lot of sugar then any magnesium that is in your body is used up making sure you get rid of the sugar instead of helping absorb vit D - Basically nutrition is one mega balancing act.

Annalouise
November 7th, 2016, 07:14 AM
OhSuzi - thank you genius lady..:p I looked at my daily multi and it only contains 25% of the daily recommend amount of magnesium.
So that means that I'm probably not getting enough magnesium to go along with the Vit D! GOOD TO KNOW! :toast: Thanks! I used to take calcium and magnesium separately by the powder so I could make the correct ratios. I think I'll order those again. It's possible my multi vitamin is not very effective due to being poorly formulated. I think its better to just take the vitamins you need anyways, in the right dosage, as opposed to a multi.

OhSuzi
November 7th, 2016, 09:48 AM
...also sorry to go on like some nutrition nazi, and I have no real qualifications other than from the university of googlin stuff, and asking the occasional doctor/gym fitness person, and I don't practice what I preach because I eat cake n chocs like everyday, but whilst some vit supplements are good for a boost - really try looking to food before you look to supplements - you should be able to get quite a bit of magnesium from veg like spinach n seeds n nuts and ting (again google is all knowing) and cut down on sugar (if you are munching too much).

Your hair looks lovely by the way.

truepeacenik
November 7th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Can we not use Nazi so casually?
Nutrition fascist is accurate. And less triggering. (My great uncles are Shoah survivors.)

I'm surprised honey works as a conditioner in a desert.
Honey is a humectant. That means, basically, that it moves moisture from a place of more to a place of less. Low humidity is a place of less.
I lived in the high desert and honey gave my moisture to the air. Result? Straw like tangles.
Unless I was in a steamy bathroom.

Annalouise
November 7th, 2016, 10:45 AM
...also sorry to go on like some nutrition nazi, and I have no real qualifications other than from the university of googlin stuff, and asking the occasional doctor/gym fitness person, and I don't practice what I preach because I eat cake n chocs like everyday, but whilst some vit supplements are good for a boost - really try looking to food before you look to supplements - you should be able to get quite a bit of magnesium from veg like spinach n seeds n nuts and ting (again google is all knowing) and cut down on sugar (if you are munching too much).

Your hair looks lovely by the way.

Thanks for the compliment m'lady. :p YES, I eat lots of veggies and beans. But after you told me about the magnesium I went into the kitchen and opened a bag of LIMA BEANS (high in magnesium) and am making a soup. And I already put spinach on the shopping list.:D
I agree with you about getting the nutrients from food first. Right now I'm eating a huge chick pea salad.
I should add that I do have Celiac Disease and that screws up your intestines so that you don't absorb vit & min properly. So that is why I'm so screwed up generally. lol. :tmi: I know probably too much info..
thanks again:)

Can we not use Nazi so casually?
Nutrition fascist is accurate. And less triggering. (My great uncles are Shoah survivors.)

I'm surprised honey works as a conditioner in a desert.
Honey is a humectant. That means, basically, that it moves moisture from a place of more to a place of less. Low humidity is a place of less.
I lived in the high desert and honey gave my moisture to the air. Result? Straw like tangles.
Unless I was in a steamy bathroom.

LOL, no, no, noooooo! Honey does NOT work in the desert. :D That's why I stopped putting it in my conditioner, that and the lightening part.
Yeah, I agree with you 100%. Not smart in a dry environment. Same thing with glycerin, I think? I'm just sticking with deep conditioners now from the store. I'm not experimenting anymore...lol :stirpot:

My condolences to your family. :heart:

littlestarface
November 7th, 2016, 12:02 PM
If you do ever use honey use it only during a really steamy hot shower, as I do as I live in a very dry environment as well but there is ways to still use it just a FYI.

Apolli
November 7th, 2016, 11:57 PM

:0
Thank you! Now I know what I'll be digging into once my hospital shifts are done today! (As for lightening dark hair, I'm just depending on a natural sun (not a sun in) ombre for the future. I'm happy with my current hair color though).

Apolli
November 8th, 2016, 12:00 AM
Double post because my phone won't let me qoutes multiple people- sorry!

Yes you are correct. The sun is damaging to our skin and hair. I appreciate your insights and I really should consider covering it everyday with a scarf. But I am a bit lazy. I don't even use sun screen on my skin! haha and I still have vit D deficiency! I think I'll start to wear sunscreen too I might as well seeing as my skin isn't making Vit D anyways..:p Thanks for your help.

I think truepeacenick is right, its a stall. Hopefully next year the growth will be happening again.:toast:

He told me to take Vit D supplements. So I'm taking 1,000 IU per day. :)

Thanks. I did price them out and they seem to run about 30$ a bottle! :bigeyes: And most contain silicones which means I have to shampoo the length more often due to build up. So its kindof a big deal. I'm pretty minimalist with my hair. We'll see... thanks for your help :cool:

Its okay! Stalls aren't unusual as far as I hear. Just make sure that whatever deficiencies you may have get worked out and hair growth will hopefully catch up automatically :) on a similar note, that's also one of my biggest motivations for sticking to my vitamins lol :p

Annalouise
November 8th, 2016, 06:35 AM
Its okay! Stalls aren't unusual as far as I hear. Just make sure that whatever deficiencies you may have get worked out and hair growth will hopefully catch up automatically :) on a similar note, that's also one of my biggest motivations for sticking to my vitamins lol :p

Thanks Apolli! I guess my hair will start growing when it wants too! :p

mizukitty
November 8th, 2016, 02:46 PM
How's your scalp health? Do you notice any itching or excess buildup? How often do you wash your hair? Sometimes, a harmless fungus on the scalp can stall hair growth, and an antifungal such as the ever popular Miconazole or a shampoo like Nizoral can reduce this fungus and kick start hair growth again. Doctors prescribe antifungals for people with thinning hair for (I'm guessing) this very reason. I would give it a try if I were you :) Nothing to lose! Your hair has a gorgeous curl pattern, by the way.

Annalouise
November 8th, 2016, 04:27 PM
How's your scalp health? Do you notice any itching or excess buildup? How often do you wash your hair? Sometimes, a harmless fungus on the scalp can stall hair growth, and an antifungal such as the ever popular Miconazole or a shampoo like Nizoral can reduce this fungus and kick start hair growth again. Doctors prescribe antifungals for people with thinning hair for (I'm guessing) this very reason. I would give it a try if I were you :) Nothing to lose! Your hair has a gorgeous curl pattern, by the way.

That is very interesting. I never considered anti-dandruff shampoo for myself because I don't have the typical "flakes". However that doesn't mean I don't have a fungus. And you are right, fungus can lead to thinning hair. :hmm: Brilliant. Good thinking.
Yes I do have an itchy scalp, therefore I shampoo usually on day 2.
Why not try a dandruff shampoo and see if it produces positive results? While I was googling this issue I found this study that showed a positive result for thinning hair with pyrithione zinc shampoo or minoxidil shampoo. I am not sure what brands contain these agents but they look quite favorable for thinning hair.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12932243
:beercheer: cheers scalp genius.

oh and thank you for the compliment!