PDA

View Full Version : This story on XOJane about the cons of long-long hair

Of the Fae
November 3rd, 2016, 01:52 PM
http://www.xovain.com/hair/40-reasons-to-not-do-super-long-hair

What do you guys think? I thought it was witty- it made me laugh out loud quite a few times, and very recongizable, although I think most of the issues here can be avoided by updo's and braids- and braided updo's (My personal fave)!
Also, with "super long" I don't think of waist or hip length, but, being a member here for too long (and reaching waist myself, which of course instantaneously makes it feel too short for me still) of classic length and onwards :P

sumidha
November 3rd, 2016, 02:40 PM
I think a 'Show me your fake armpit hair pictures' thread has some pretty hilarious LHC potential. :D

Sarahlabyrinth
November 3rd, 2016, 03:03 PM
I think she can't have heard of buns :)

neko_kawaii
November 3rd, 2016, 03:10 PM
LHC could solve a lot of those problems for her, LOL.

whimsicalfaerie
November 3rd, 2016, 03:15 PM
My hair was classic when I was growing up. I'll add "must make sure it's not dragging in the toilet while peeing."

Shiranshoku
November 3rd, 2016, 03:47 PM
Didn't really like the article, to be honest. I don't get the feeling any effort went into it. And our memethread is funnier!

calmyogi
November 3rd, 2016, 05:16 PM
The part I found to be most amusing was when she said at the end, everyone thinks your a slut because you have long hair..... That couldn't be because you wear slutty black dresses? I think her reasons were really stupid and her hair wasn't that long anyways. It's shorter than mine and I don't have any of these problems. She's a wiener that just couldn't hack it in the long hair world in my opinion lol.

missrandie
November 3rd, 2016, 07:34 PM
All I could think the whole time was about easy solutions to her gripes. Certain things I could relate to, like those damn plastic chairs from grade school. But keeping my hair out of those was how I learned not to slouch.

Most of my solutions were some iteration of "put it up." Or, "be better prepared."

Calmyogi, of course it's the hair causing the slut comments! It could never be the clothes, or the attitude, or the actions.

But I don't judge. Her hair might have been doing a strip tease while shucking barettes and bobby pins.

Chromis
November 3rd, 2016, 08:47 PM
All I could think the whole time was about easy solutions to her gripes. Certain things I could relate to, like those damn plastic chairs from grade school. But keeping my hair out of those was how I learned not to slouch.

Most of my solutions were some iteration of "put it up." Or, "be better prepared."

Calmyogi, of course it's the hair causing the slut comments! It could never be the clothes, or the attitude, or the actions.

But I don't judge. Her hair might have been doing a strip tease while shucking barettes and bobby pins.

Back in the day when I only knew how to put up buns and braids with bobby pins I swear my hair spat them out like a gatling gun. I must have left a trail like Hansel and Gretel behind me. I used to have to buy them in bulk!

calmyogi
November 3rd, 2016, 09:16 PM
My moms hair spit things out because it was so fine and thin. I'm sure the article was written to be amusing more than literal but, The way she came across didn't convince me of her struggles though.

calmyogi
November 3rd, 2016, 09:18 PM

With how many times she mentioned slutty dresses, at the end when she said everyone thinks your a slut, that's the only time I actually let out a real laugh lol.

Entangled
November 3rd, 2016, 09:46 PM
Literally every problem with the exception of updo problems could be solved or alleviated with protective updos.

Obsidian
November 4th, 2016, 12:30 AM
I thought it was stupid, she sounds like a idiot.

truepeacenik
November 4th, 2016, 12:43 AM
"YOU SHOULD DONATE TO LOCKS OF LOVE!"

QUIT PRESSURING ME TO BE A GOOD PERSON.

I have a new response. ;)

I'm now sort of embarrassed that my original said out loud to real people goal for growing my hair was to cover my boobs.
Now I'm aiming for "fake back of knee hair tuft."

And I will take that armpit photo.
Does it count if I do, in fact, have armpit fuzz?

lapushka
November 4th, 2016, 05:10 AM
OMG, I had such trouble even trying to read that. Is that what passes for writing these days? Such a ditzy, silly little "article", if I can call it that. Sorry, JMO. Who reads that, even? Sorry, but it's just not my cup of tea. :( Nooo!

Of the Fae
November 4th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Well, I do agree with a number of you that it hardly passes for an article, I read it more as an entertaining rant. But yes, I kept wondering why she doesn't just wear a bun or simple braid :/
I did like what she said about living out our mermaid dream though :P

Shiranshoku
November 4th, 2016, 08:31 AM
I did like what she said about living out our mermaid dream though :P
That, I can definitely relate to! :-)

Robot Ninja
November 4th, 2016, 09:03 AM
More like "the cons of having long hair and not knowing how to take care of it, with an extra dose of slut-shaming on the side."

I see arm strain as a plus, not a minus. Doing my hair beats going to the gym. And as for neck strain...I once looked at one of those body fat calculators that uses your measurements, just to see what it said, and when I entered my neck circumference (bigger than the average for my height and weight, apparently) it upgraded me from "average" to "fit." I laughed. Stupid calculator, I'm not fit, I just have a lot of hair.

missrandie
November 4th, 2016, 09:04 AM
OMG, I had such trouble even trying to read that. Is that what passes for writing these days? Such a ditzy, silly little "article", if I can call it that. Sorry, JMO. Who reads that, even? Sorry, but it's just not my cup of tea. :( Nooo!

That's the exact word I thought last night. Ditzy.

Nique1202
November 4th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Reminds me of those (http://c-cassandra.tumblr.com/post/107365988700) ridiculous comics (http://c-cassandra.tumblr.com/post/115425442870) that all my short-haired friends love to reblog on Tumblr. Nearly every problem people perceive with long hair can be solved by basic updos, better detangling methods, giving up heat styling, and a little extra attention on things that your hair can hook on or get stuck in. If you don't want to bother taking the time to take care of your hair, then I recommend not bothering to grow it out. It doesn't have to be for everybody.

lapushka
November 4th, 2016, 09:15 AM
That's the exact word I thought last night. Ditzy.

Great minds think alike. ;) :p

eladriel
November 4th, 2016, 01:01 PM
That article annoyed me so much. :D And her hair is definitely not *super long* lol

Of the Fae
November 4th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Haha I see I have not proven you all a service by sharing this piece :P No I agree with you Eladriel, I share a length with the author and I don't experience it as super long at all. But long enough to be sensible about braiding when going to bed, which none of these ranting comic makers and article writers seem to do.
Maybe there needs to be a reason not to have long hair, so that you won't evoke envy in others or something like that. Because I don't think our culture allows us to really be proud of something like this.

LadyCelestina
November 4th, 2016, 01:35 PM
More like "the cons of having long hair and not knowing how to take care of it, with an extra dose of slut-shaming on the side."

I see arm strain as a plus, not a minus. Doing my hair beats going to the gym. And as for neck strain...I once looked at one of those body fat calculators that uses your measurements, just to see what it said, and when I entered my neck circumference (bigger than the average for my height and weight, apparently) it upgraded me from "average" to "fit." I laughed. Stupid calculator, I'm not fit, I just have a lot of hair.

I assumed it's something like slut positivity going on, like re-embracing the word 'slut', but then she added the last bit about how you are going to be a slut anyway which sounds like she's not so happy about being called a slut? I'm sorry if slut-positivity or similar is not a real thing but I do think I heard something like that, I just don't venture into certain parts of the internet so much because I like to keep my good mood.

I didn't really enjoy the article and just skipped through it after the tenth blablabla...it tangles!. I know that when you wear your hair loose it tangles and gets into stuff already and each of the jokes has been said 100times before :/.

eladriel
November 4th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Haha I see I have not proven you all a service by sharing this piece :P
Well :D I guess I disliked her way of writing more than the actual arguments. Some of the problems mentioned there were kind of relatable, but mostly she's exaggerating too much.

lapushka
November 4th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Haha I see I have not proven you all a service by sharing this piece :P No I agree with you Eladriel, I share a length with the author and I don't experience it as super long at all. But long enough to be sensible about braiding when going to bed, which none of these ranting comic makers and article writers seem to do.
Maybe there needs to be a reason not to have long hair, so that you won't evoke envy in others or something like that. Because I don't think our culture allows us to really be proud of something like this.

Don't get me wrong. I always appreciate when people share things. Doesn't mean I always like it or agree. I hope it was fine expressing that. It's just I thought, she's (author) making it awfully difficult for such an easy solution (wear it up). :lol:

vampyyri
November 4th, 2016, 05:21 PM
All easily remedied by putting your hair up... she needs an LHC intervention :lol:

Of the Fae
November 5th, 2016, 06:29 AM
I assumed it's something like slut positivity going on, like re-embracing the word 'slut', but then she added the last bit about how you are going to be a slut anyway which sounds like she's not so happy about being called a slut? I'm sorry if slut-positivity or similar is not a real thing but I do think I heard something like that, I just don't venture into certain parts of the internet so much because I like to keep my good mood.

I didn't really enjoy the article and just skipped through it after the tenth blablabla...it tangles!. I know that when you wear your hair loose it tangles and gets into stuff already and each of the jokes has been said 100times before :/.

Slut positivity is a thing! Though I felt unclear wether that it what she did or wether it was more like inadvertedly shaming.

Of the Fae
November 5th, 2016, 06:31 AM
Don't get me wrong. I always appreciate when people share things. Doesn't mean I always like it or agree. I hope it was fine expressing that. It's just I thought, she's (author) making it awfully difficult for such an easy solution (wear it up). :lol:

Of course ^^ I shared it because I wanted to hear your opinions! I'm happy to get honest responses :)
and I do agree, a lot of people outside LHC seem to have little knowledge of this simple way of preventing tangles :P

LadyCelestina
November 5th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Slut positivity is a thing! Though I felt unclear wether that it what she did or wether it was more like inadvertedly shaming.

Idk, let's ask her :D and use it as an excuse to introduce her to LHC :D

lora410
November 5th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Ive never heard the "people think your a slut" if you have long hair. So I guess I'll be a slutty granny when I reach 70 with long hair... lol :magic:

Annalouise
November 5th, 2016, 09:23 AM
I thought it was stupid, she sounds like a idiot.

That article annoyed me so much. :D And her hair is definitely not *super long* lol

:thumbsup: Agree with the above statements. I thought it was a terrible article.

truepeacenik
November 5th, 2016, 09:29 AM

You did indeed provide a service.
We get to realize how much hair care we have integrated into our lives to the point where it's a no-brainier, automatic, assumed action.
How cool is that, especially for the new folks?

You allowed us to see how vapid and blurred writing has become.
I get to feel superior! ;)

truepeacenik
November 5th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Ive never heard the "people think your a slut" if you have long hair. So I guess I'll be a slutty granny when I reach 70 with long hair... lol :magic:

No, one is only a slut of one attracts the attention of the opposite gender.
I'm pretty sure the word has devolved to mean "person for whom I feel jealousy."
Which is a long way from its roots of slattern.

missmelaniem
November 5th, 2016, 09:35 AM
I just scanned through it... some of it was so true (eating hair.. having it get tangled in stuff) but I mostly agree with everyone that said it was annoying and whiny. Why is this so in fashion these days it seems?

Maybe its because I have been hanging out here for so long and see so many positives about having long hair. The annoyances are small in comparison to the aesthetic reward :)

calmyogi
November 5th, 2016, 01:28 PM
No, one is only a slut of one attracts the attention of the opposite gender.
I'm pretty sure the word has devolved to mean "person for whom I feel jealousy."
Which is a long way from its roots of slattern.

Honestly, I think your right about the word devolving.