PDA

View Full Version : Washing after oil and essential oil treatments

Mrstran
November 3rd, 2016, 08:42 AM
Does washing with clairifying shampoo after hot oil treatments or essential oils treatments pretty much wash away all the oils completely, making all the treatments pointless and wasting all the work you've done?

Im asking because I normally leave oil in all night, but I have a hard time sleeping with a plastic cap on my head. 2am this morning I ended up washing everything out I was so tired. What do you do after these treatments to avoid washing all the oils out?

I'd like to be able to sleep without a cap, and without getting oil all over the place. Should I use a silicone masque after a water rinse? Do you think that might help?

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 3rd, 2016, 09:46 AM
Hi
Have you ever slept with anything on your head, example beanie, satin bonnet, scarf, etc.
As if you have not then you may find a plastic a challenge. Try not to cover your ears and keep it off your for head. Also try using a shower cap.

I hope that helps.

Our science and biology minds can answer the first part of your question. As to my understanding clarifying takes everything off, strips all oils.

Eastbound&Down
November 3rd, 2016, 09:55 AM
Does washing washing with clairifying shampoo after hot oil treatments or essential oils treatments pretty much wash away all the oils completely, making all the treatments pointless and wasting all the work you've done?

Im asking because I normally leave oil in all night, but I have a hard time sleeping with a plastic cap on my head. 2am this morning I ended up washing everything out I was so tired. What do you do after these treatments?

I do CWC, conditioner removes oil much better than shampoo does. And as for leaving oil on overnight, I don't cover mine. I just put on an old pillowcase and go to sleep. Sometimes in the winter I may throw on a beanie, but only if it's really cold.

Mrstran
November 3rd, 2016, 10:54 AM
Hi
Have you ever slept with anything on your head, example beanie, satin bonnet, scarf, etc.
As if you have not then you may find a plastic a challenge. Try not to cover your ears and keep it off your for head. Also try using a shower cap.

I hope that helps.

Our science and biology minds can answer the first part of your question. As to my understanding clarifying takes everything off, strips all oils.

Yeah, I end up laying in bed for hours trying to sleep with the plastic cap on my head. Those things are just itchy and uncomfortable overall. I'd like to keep the effects of the oil without having to wash them all out.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 3rd, 2016, 11:02 AM
You could try applying it first thing in the morning on your day off. And wash out after 5 hours. Then you don't have to sleep with it.
Or apply early keep it under a plastic cap, remove the cap when going to bed

Mrstran
November 3rd, 2016, 11:22 AM
You could try applying it first thing in the morning on your day off. And wash out after 5 hours. Then you don't have to sleep with it.
Or apply early keep it under a plastic cap, remove the cap when going to bed

I'll take your advice on that. I wanted to get the full effect and sleep on it. I'm sure 5 hours will do. I'll just have to stay in all day and pamper myself. :)

Kat-Rinnč Naido
November 3rd, 2016, 11:29 AM
Lovely, now you have a pamper day planned. I love the thought of it. Sometimes we get so caught up with stuff and forget about nurturing ourselves.

littlestarface
November 3rd, 2016, 11:42 AM
Does washing with clairifying shampoo after hot oil treatments or essential oils treatments pretty much wash away all the oils completely, making all the treatments pointless and wasting all the work you've done?

Im asking because I normally leave oil in all night, but I have a hard time sleeping with a plastic cap on my head. 2am this morning I ended up washing everything out I was so tired. What do you do after these treatments to avoid washing all the oils out?

I'd like to be able to sleep without a cap, and without getting oil all over the place. Should I use a silicone masque after a water rinse? Do you think that might help?

Oh man that must've been uncomfortable. I do like eastbound&down I don't cover my head with anything if I have oil in my hair, I just braid my hair upside down and wrap it around my head and sleep. I also use conditioner to wash out my oil not shampoo which never washed it all out for me.

As for your question when hair absorbs oils so it doesn't get too much water in the hair during a hair wash it protects it hence the benefit of oil before wash being useful.

Nique1202
November 3rd, 2016, 11:49 AM
You might get some effect from the oil but the point of clarifying is to strip everything out of the hair, so better not to go that route if you don't have to. Using a milder shampoo or diluting the stronger one might be better if you want the oil to have maximum effect.

Anje
November 3rd, 2016, 11:55 AM
If you're using an oil that absorbs into the hair, yes, you're still getting some benefit. The oil will reduce hair shaft swelling during the wash, which is generally considered beneficial. Also, some oils (mainly coconut) have been demonstrated to reduce the amount of hair protein that lost from the hair during the washing process, if you soak beforehand. (I'm gonna let Meteor swoop in the citations, because the few articles I have saved are in my other browser, and I'm sleep-deprived from watching the Cubs last night.) In my mind, this sort of goes out the window if it represents an additional wash that you didn't otherwise need, because you got the impulse to oil basically clean hair. But if you were going to wash your hair in the morning anyway, it probably reduced the negative impacts that washing can have on the hair.

Some people like to do a heavy oiling for a few hours before every wash, because their hair comes out better. Personally, I never found it made a substantial difference for me, so I don't tend to do it and prefer to lightly oil right after a wash. Most of this is just about finding what works for you and what gives you the results you like.

ETA: I'd try wrapping the hair in a scarf that can be washed, or put a towel over your pillow, to prevent the oil from getting everywhere. Some people sleep with all sorts of gooey things on their head (like henna) wrapped in plastic, but I don't know how they manage it. I normally stick to cheap, breathable, washable poly sleep bonnets.

lapushka
November 3rd, 2016, 02:59 PM
The trick is not to overoil. Just put enough in, that one shampoo will not get it out fully but not leave you with an oily mess. You'll have to experiment with that a bit.

Shiranshoku
November 3rd, 2016, 03:55 PM
I use a sulphate heavy shampoo after oiling, as my scalp needs it and nothing else gets it out. But I still notice the effect of the oil, so I don't think the shampoo negates it. It usually takes two days for my scalp to get oily, but this stretches to 4 days easily after an overnight oiling, provided it was properly washed out.

meteor
November 3rd, 2016, 04:51 PM
[...] Also, some oils (mainly coconut) have been demonstrated to reduce the amount of hair protein that lost from the hair during the washing process, if you soak beforehand. (I'm gonna let Meteor swoop in the citations, because the few articles I have saved are in my other browser, and I'm sleep-deprived from watching the Cubs last night.) In my mind, this sort of goes out the window if it represents an additional wash that you didn't otherwise need[...]

Sorry, I didn't see the thread before... here's the full study that was mentioned ;) : http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf and the short summary: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12715094

I tend to oil my hair pretty heavily the day before my wash, then put hair in a tight braided bun, and nobody (or so I hope ;)) can tell that I'm doing a pre-poo oil soak all day long. ;) It soaks up quite a bit by nighttime.

And I agree with the general idea of oiling just enough to make a difference but preferably not so much that it would necessitate a second or third (or a harsher than usual) wash... If I planned on "re-setting" really dry hair, my approach might sometimes be more oil and more clarifying, but in general I oil just enough to make hair somewhat oily pre-wash, but not enough to bother me in my sleep or to require heavier washing. But that's just me, it's all pretty YMMV. :)

animetor7
November 3rd, 2016, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't worry about covering up your oiling when you sleep, I'd just make sure to wash or change your pillowcase before sleeping on it again. As for whether or not a clarifying shampoo negates the effects on your hair, well that depends on what you want to achieve with the oil. For instance, I use oil lightly daily and then a bit heavier before I wash and allow it to soak in at least overnight, the daily oilings will stay in for days. I want two different things from these different oilings, I don't expect the heavier oiling to soak into my hair as well, but it helps protect my length from getting dried out when washing and protects it somewhat from hydral fatigue. The daily oilings are what I expect to soak into my hair better and moisturize it.

So if this is the only oiling you're doing, it will help protect your length from how drying a clarifying wash can be, but I doubt it will soak in as nicely, and the clarifying wash may negate the moisturizing effects. But I'd say that it's not worth it if it means you have to wash or clarify more often.

Mrstran
November 3rd, 2016, 08:22 PM
Thank you all very much. I read every response and took note. Learning more everyday! I'm still tweaking my routine but want to make sure I'm actually benefiting from what I'm doing, or if things could be done in a more productive way

Thank you all again!! I'd be completely lost without you.

Mrstran
November 3rd, 2016, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't worry about covering up your oiling when you sleep, I'd just make sure to wash or change your pillowcase before sleeping on it again. As for whether or not a clarifying shampoo negates the effects on your hair, well that depends on what you want to achieve with the oil. For instance, I use oil lightly daily and then a bit heavier before I wash and allow it to soak in at least overnight, the daily oilings will stay in for days. I want two different things from these different oilings, I don't expect the heavier oiling to soak into my hair as well, but it helps protect my length from getting dried out when washing and protects it somewhat from hydral fatigue. The daily oilings are what I expect to soak into my hair better and moisturize it.

So if this is the only oiling you're doing, it will help protect your length from how drying a clarifying wash can be, but I doubt it will soak in as nicely, and the clarifying wash may negate the moisturizing effects. But I'd say that it's not worth it if it means you have to wash or clarify more often.

You have the wheels turning in my head now. Do you think diluting the shampoo would help?

animetor7
November 3rd, 2016, 08:56 PM
You have the wheels turning in my head now. Do you think diluting the shampoo would help?

It would probably help some, but I'd try using a light conditioner to remove the oil first. You can leave it on for longer than shampoo and you won't risk damaging your hair. Light conditioners are fantastic at removing oil!!! My favorites are VO5 and Suave, but many members also use white rain. And of course heavily oiling before doing a clarifying wash will help protect your hair, but the oil will do you more good in terms of moisturizing in smaller amounts and more frequently.

ETA: scalp oilings left on for a few hours will also be more beneficial when cleansed off more gently. Do you have a dry scalp? If you have an oilier scalp, you might not need scalp oilings.

Mrstran
November 3rd, 2016, 10:37 PM
It would probably help some, but I'd try using a light conditioner to remove the oil first. You can leave it on for longer than shampoo and you won't risk damaging your hair. Light conditioners are fantastic at removing oil!!! My favorites are VO5 and Suave, but many members also use white rain. And of course heavily oiling before doing a clarifying wash will help protect your hair, but the oil will do you more good in terms of moisturizing in smaller amounts and more frequently.

ETA: scalp oilings left on for a few hours will also be more beneficial when cleansed off more gently. Do you have a dry scalp? If you have an oilier scalp, you might not need scalp oilings.

My scalp is just normal, it doesn't really get dry or oily. I do Oil massages with the essential oils to my scalp, and do my ends with regular hot oil then cap my head. I try to leave it on all night but it's tough to sleep in lol. If I must wash after a few hours, I'd at least like to keep some oil in. I only do this every 10 days or so, and then I wash my hair. After that I pretty much do what you do. I lightly oil my hair everyday ( mostly the ends) usually by day 10 it's very greasy and gross!

I do all this because my hair is damaged, and now I'm paranoid of dryness. I'd like to get all the oil off my roots but leave some in my hair. A clogged up scalp doesn't sound too nice.

yahirwaO.o
November 3rd, 2016, 11:38 PM
I usually go between light and soaking.... just right enough when I oil. My hair does response good to anything before shampoing and never really looks greasy afterwawrds yet feels softer!

I just braid mine when I do it overnight and change my pillowcase. Light oiling afterwards is kinda tricky for me, sometimes it looks great and other times looks wieight down.

I use a regular low coney shampoo and oiil is gone without any problem. Conditioner and even egg yolk does remove oil very well in case you feel the porpouse of the good benefits is gone with a very strong shampoo. I say experiment with a nice gentle brand and be easy on it!