PDA

View Full Version : Breakage at hairline

hufflepug
November 2nd, 2016, 10:43 AM
I've been hoping it was new growth, but the fact that it's all contained to one area makes me think it's breakage. It's mostly where I part my hair, at the front of my hair line. I usually wear my hair up with a stick or ficcare and I can feel tension along this area but I can't seem to figure out how to put my hair up without having that tension. Tightening or loosening doesn't seem to make a difference. I was thinking maybe putting this area back in it's own clip, then the rest up separately (almost as if I was growing out bangs, if that makes sense). I've been trying to baby my hair otherwise, I don't use heat, I have dyed my hair once in the past year (darkened, not bleached or anything). It shouldn't be this fragile :(

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25141&d=1478104725

Wusel
November 2nd, 2016, 10:51 AM
That's why I went back to bangs. Because of the tension and the danger of thinning or breakage in the front hairline from wearing updos and hair combed back for styles. Which I do often for work.
My mom reminded me of her three friends who were ballet dancers and had to wear updos and hair pulled back all the time for dancing. And all of them had thin hairlines at age of 50. When you pull your front hair in a ponytail or bun or braid every day back, there is always some kind of tension on the roots and most professional ballet dancers have thin receding hairlines. I don't want this, so I have my thick bangs again to save my hairline.

Decoy24601
November 2nd, 2016, 11:13 AM
New growth can also be confined to one area. When I had my last big shed, the areas that lost the most hair were smaller areas. It wasn't evenly distributed across my entire head. Now I have a couple spots where it's almost like I have bangs or fringe because of the new growth.

It doesn't look like breakage at all to me, just new growth.

Wusel
November 2nd, 2016, 11:17 AM
same here. The ends, when I look closer, look pointy. Pointy ends of hairs means new growth, not breakage.

Anje
November 2nd, 2016, 11:52 AM
It's worth considering that hair around the hairline never gets as long as the main head hair. Almost all of us have a bunch of short stuff around the edges that floats around obnoxiously after a few hours or gusts of wind. Check out the ends of the hairs -- are they blunt or split? Or are they tapered to a point? Tapered ends are found on hairs that have never broken or been cut, which is probably typical for most of your forehead wispies.

All the same, those hairs almost always are more fragile than the bulk of your hair, by dint of being in the transition between those super fine and short vellus hairs that we all have on our faces and the long terminal hairs that make up head hair. If your updo is pulling on them, it might be worth trying something a bit different. Sectioning hair often works well. I'm pretty sure Nightshade has a tutorial around here somewhere for how she gets a bit more volume at the top of her head, which reduces the tension on her hairline at the same time. Super-tight updos are obviously bad news for the hairline hairs, but I find that overly loose updos also just seem to hang by those hairs. Sometimes a moderate amount of tension seems best.

lapushka
November 2nd, 2016, 12:10 PM
New growth can also be confined to one area. When I had my last big shed, the areas that lost the most hair were smaller areas. It wasn't evenly distributed across my entire head. Now I have a couple spots where it's almost like I have bangs or fringe because of the new growth.

Totally agree! :agree:

hufflepug
November 2nd, 2016, 12:17 PM
Thanks guys :) I think it may be a mix of breakage and new growth. Either way, I hate that pulling feeling, a lot of times I get headaches from it. I'll have to play around with sectioning it off :)

meteor
November 2nd, 2016, 02:36 PM
I've been hoping it was new growth, but the fact that it's all contained to one area makes me think it's breakage. It's mostly where I part my hair, at the front of my hair line. I usually wear my hair up with a stick or ficcare and I can feel tension along this area but I can't seem to figure out how to put my hair up without having that tension. Tightening or loosening doesn't seem to make a difference. I was thinking maybe putting this area back in it's own clip, then the rest up separately (almost as if I was growing out bangs, if that makes sense). I've been trying to baby my hair otherwise, I don't use heat, I have dyed my hair once in the past year (darkened, not bleached or anything). It shouldn't be this fragile :(

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25141&d=1478104725

Thanks guys :) I think it may be a mix of breakage and new growth. Either way, I hate that pulling feeling, a lot of times I get headaches from it. I'll have to play around with sectioning it off :)

Since your hair is shoulder length now, it is likely simply too short to bun comfortably without any pulling maybe? :hmm: Honestly, I'd wear hair braided in loose-ish enough braids that you feel no tension at all. You may need to section hair into a few braids at this length, but it should be enough to keep it out of the way. Alternatively, I'd try something like a Peacock Twist, Gibson Tuck, gentle half-ups or any other loose styles.

hufflepug
November 5th, 2016, 06:29 PM
I've been practicing twin dutch braids and it's as comfortable as a pixie cut was :) NO pulling at my scalp, the back of my neck is nice and cool, plus it gives me really pretty braid waves. Thanks for the tips!